Pakistan Crisis

Users who are viewing this thread

Watch out, you're offending Muslims! They may start rioting, and threatening to behead all those who insult Islam, and we wouldn't want that now would we.

Oh no, that might cause them to burn a few crosses which will cause the catholic population to launch several crusades and murder and pillage everything east of Constantinople! D:

An4Sh said:
No not really I had no idea but I assumed it really can't be bad enough to stop them from helping prevent an extremist group from taking control over a country with nuclear capabilities.
As far as India is concerned Pakistan is it's rightful territory. If it crossed the border it would be looking to remove the border.

An4Sh said:
Why doesn't India provide direct military support for the Pakistani army and just help them push back the Taliban?

That would be like Bajor asking the Cardassians for help to push the Dominion back through the wormhole to the gamma quadrant. There's no way Pakistan can win a situation like that; If they ask India for help, they'll never get Indian soldiers off their land, and India would slowly attempt to reclaim Pakistan through subversive means. But on the other hand, if they don't ask India for help, and the Taliban DO manage to take over, India will just move in (pre-emptive strike) anyway, and as long as they use the excuse of "combatting terrorism" (it worked once or twice for Bush, so why not?) not too many powers would complain.

Sucks to be in hot places right now.

Coincidentally, you don't have to possess a Monster Truck, we can build you one.

That would be like Bajor asking the Cardassians for help to push the Dominion back through the wormhole to the gamma quadrant.

OH! Now I get it! :mrgreen: Star Trek analogies ftw!

Well, and from what has been said, looks like India might get their chance sooner than later.

I'm reviving this thread so we don't need to make a new one.

The Taliban in Pakistan (Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan) is currently negotiating with the Pakistani government. Their initial demand list is quite exhaustive:

-Release all their members from prisons
-All government forces must be withdrawn from the tribal areas
-Tribal areas must gain full autonomy
-End to military support between Pakistan and USA
-End to US drone strikes
-Islamic education at all levels

Obviously it's just a start for their long-term plan, of instituting strict Sharia-law in all of Pakistan. The tribal areas are Bajaur, Mohmand, Khyber, Orakzai, Kurram and South- and North-Waziristan. Unlike rest of Pakistan, the tribal areas are almost fully inhabited by ethnic Pashtuns (remember them from Afghanistan?), who make mere 15% of the population of the entire Pakistan. The areas were originally created by the British, to divide different Pashtu-tribes and make rebellion against colonial overlords more difficult. Pakistani government has never had a firm grip on the areas, and movement over the border (of people, guns, drugs etc) is quite easy - when Taliban forces were under heavy attack in A-Stan, they just fled across the border to Pakistan, to recuperate and regroups, just like they did when it was the Soviet Union doing the attacking.

There have been negotiations, and even treaties, before, that have all been violated/broken by both sides, so it's unlikely that the current round would get any permanent breakthroughs.

As noted before, Pakistani army has operated in the tribal areas since 2003, but without much success, though the number of casualties has been fairly high.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2014/02/pakistan-taliban-sets-tough-terms-talks-20142108485710749.html

Whatever happens there, the 'Bama drone attacks will continue. He just has too much fun with that to ever stop.

The Taliban version of Islamic education must be interesting since they seem to think education was invented by The Shaitan and should be forbidden to females. Now get back to those Disney sewing machines and opium fields, you lazy *****es, and no more ankle flashing! It turns me on too much, those sexy ankles.

I hope someone angrily writes a rebuttal to Archonsod's post.

Jhessail said:
I'm reviving this thread so we don't need to make a new one.
The organization freak within me says a new one would be better.

Other than that, no comment at this time, though I too am aware and observing periodically these new series of negotiations.

It's too late, it's alive! IT'S ALIVE!

I'm completely opposed to any deal between the Pakistani government and the Pakistani Taliban along the lines described. Their demands amount to surrender by the government. It would make relations between Pakistan and Infia worse, would make the situation in Afghanistan far worse, would increase the rate of religiously-motivated murders in Pakistan, and would move Pakistan even further along the path towards being a terrorist stronghold.

Sir Saladin said:
Whatever happens there, the 'Bama drone attacks will continue. He just has too much fun with that to ever stop.
That got me thinking. If Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize with two wars going on, can I get a Nobel Chemistry Prize then for failing chemistry class in the 3rd grade of high school?

That depends - did you take someone else's spot in the class halfway through, and did you at least try to avert failure? Or did you basically just half ass it and throw up your hands when it all went to ****?

Nah, I just suck at chemistry, but I did make plenty of effort. I guess it's just the world made chemistry so hard, that it was beyond my powers to pass it. That should deserve at least half a prize.

Mage246 said:
That depends - did you take someone else's spot in the class halfway through, and did you at least try to avert failure? Or did you basically just half ass it and throw up your hands when it all went to ****?

Oh, I get it. You think the current U.S. president took over when the wars were halfway through.

This only makes sense if the length of the war is preordained by some authority that cannot be challenged, or the president is a helpless pawn in the great scheme of things. I have noticed that the helpless pawn theory is very popular among those who defend him no matter what he does.

Back
Top Bottom