-- Official Unofficial 'Ask Questions About Warband Singleplayer Here' Thread --

Users who are viewing this thread

Ilwuen said:
So how do I actually get to fight the peasants?

While waiting you will get a message saying: You feel like some peasants are ready to begin their training
Then you automaticly get to fight a random amount of peasant (depending on your trainer level).

I actually like that quest.  Beating the crap out of peasants, getting honor, slaying a crap load of bandits.  Seeing red letters that don't actually count against you.  What's not to like.

azure said:
I haven't figured out yet which weapons can be couched, but I'm guessing it's just the lances.

AFAIK, all it changed somewhere. Only lances can couch. All other polearms with "thrust" can indeed, only thrust, not couched.

Ilwuen said:
Got the quest completed, thanks for the help! :smile:
Good to hear :smile:

azure said:
I'm new to Warband, though I played M&B for awhile. A favorite weapon of mine was the iron staff which was great for prisoner collection. In M&B I could use it couched on horseback quite nicely. However, it doesn't seem possible on Warband.

Is there a list somewhere that's updated for Warband that shows what weapons can be used for couched damage?

^^ Also, you can buy a 'jousting lance'. I use a balanced jousting lance for prisoner collection. Length 240 (nice :grin:), damage = 20 blunt (good enough when couched to kill anything). I carry a light lance for when I'm full up on prisoners/really need to win, as it can stab easier (like a spear).

What is the logic behind the fact that you can only thurst and make an overhead swing with the War Hammer? I mean even some spears can swing from the sides.

Bobsama said:
What's the best way to raise troops to defend castles or towns? I am running around half a dozen locations but, other than odds-and-ends, I can't seem to put together a good force that'll defend against the AI. My castles are always smashed to pieces and I can never afford a full 300+ troop force in towns, either. A huge force of 1st or 2nd tier is ineffective in actual assaults.

In my experience holding settlements is key. Villages are cool to start with for recruits and supplies but things get much better when you get a town. When you have settlements - fight ferociously to keep them and try to stop them being raided or assaulted - in time what will happen is they grow in productivity which is great for your income. When you have a chance do village elder quests which improve your relations with  the settlement - this is critical - as your standing grows you will be able to hire larger and larger numbers per recruitment and as you perfect your relations say with a school improvement you will be given higher tier troops as well! Towns have no recruitment facility but do allow merc recruitment which is good for quick reinforcements but are costly and prohibitively so at the start of the game. Often a village elder will offer higher than normal recruits directly after you completing a quest.

Remedius said:
Bobsama said:
What's the best way to raise troops to defend castles or towns? I am running around half a dozen locations but, other than odds-and-ends, I can't seem to put together a good force that'll defend against the AI. My castles are always smashed to pieces and I can never afford a full 300+ troop force in towns, either. A huge force of 1st or 2nd tier is ineffective in actual assaults.

In my experience holding settlements is key. Villages are cool to start with for recruits and supplies but things get much better when you get a town. When you have settlements - fight ferociously to keep them and try to stop them being raided or assaulted - in time what will happen is they grow in productivity which is great for your income. When you have a chance do village elder quests which improve your relations with  the settlement - this is critical - as your standing grows you will be able to hire larger and larger numbers per recruitment and as you perfect your relations say with a school improvement you will be given higher tier troops as well! Towns have no recruitment facility but do allow merc recruitment which is good for quick reinforcements but are costly and prohibitively so at the start of the game. Often a village elder will offer higher than normal recruits directly after you completing a quest.

Towns can be raided?

No towns can not be raided. Remedius you made a mistake in that. But you either ment the difference between a fake siege (lords just waiting while "sieging" the town without actual attacking) and the real siege?

Ilwuen said:
What is the logic behind the fact that you can only thurst and make an overhead swing with the War Hammer? I mean even some spears can swing from the sides.
I couldn't find a picture of the Warhammer, How does it look like?

killer-blead said:
No towns can not be raided. Remedius you made a mistake in that. But you either ment the difference between a fake siege (lords just waiting while "sieging" the town without actual attacking) and the real siege?
I think they are building the siege equipment not simply waiting.

I am having a difficult time beating prison guards with the wooden stick.  Each of my hits does 4-8 damage with I have power strike 3.  I hate having to reload and walk all the way to the prison constantly.  Especially the Khergit ones seem to have some badass armor.  How do you beat that guy? 

Weathereye said:
killer-blead said:

I am having a difficult time beating prison guards with the wooden stick.  Each of my hits does 4-8 damage with I have power strike 3.  I hate having to reload and walk all the way to the prison constantly.  Especially the Khergit ones seem to have some badass armor.  How do you beat that guy?

Block and hit until he dies. Your stick is faster than his sword. Might be useful to improve your polearm proficiency as well.

Weathereye said:
killer-blead said:

Also, have it out when you talk to him.  Just for effect it's like when i get the quest while I still have my crossbow to get a criminal.  I get it out before I talk to him and shoot him in the face before his sword is out.  Have your stick out.  I tried having the throwing knives out once just for fun but I missed point blank.  Yeah I don't use them much.

Also, kick is your friend.  I've killed the guard before he got a chance to pull his weapon a few times.

Wilsonrtf said:
Do not forget to ask a nearby village elder for a night fire.

Last night I paid 200 denars and they didn't light it.  Then I went back and paid 300 and they did. haha.  Bastards.

Wilsonrtf said:
Raid that village as soon as possible. :twisted:

It was Vayajeg, I'm a Nord.  For now.

To stay on topic, I have a question.

Does persuasion influence asking a guardian to court a lady?

CptStanky said:
Wilsonrtf said:
Raid that village as soon as possible. :twisted:

It was Vayajeg, I'm a Nord.  For now.

To stay on topic, I have a question.

Does persuasion influence asking a guardian to court a lady?
Not that I've noted. Your relationship with the guardian and your renowned are quite important. The easiest way to gain influence with the guardian is to support the guardian in receiving new fiefs., as well as to ally yourself to them (ie: advance standings based on their suggestions). Note that you must have a higher renown than any other suitor and you should keep a watch on your interest via the various buskers in taverns. Sometimes, they'll mention that another vassal is interested and you can open up an (optional) quest to challenge the suitor to a duel. If you win, they'll give up their pursuit and you'll gain controversy.

New question:
What exactly does controversy do? Is there a limit to how much can be accumulated? Does it ever drop? Will it count against your renowned or honor or relations (or impede further relations)?

Bobsama said:
New question:
What exactly does controversy do? Is there a limit to how much can be accumulated? Does it ever drop? Will it count against your renowned or honor or relations (or impede further relations)?

Heard limits about 99 being the max, but this is unconfirmed for me.
Does:
-Diminishes chances of getting voted marshall
-Diminishes chances of getting a fief
-Diminishes chances of courting certain ladies

Also heard stuff about a higher chance of desertion (soldiers) and vassals not paying homage/joining you.

Back
Top Bottom