Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Maethori said:
Highlander said:
Lhorkan said:
I always made my swords with a seperate box for the handle and for the blade. Can't see any reason why that would be less efficient in-game than a one-piece sword.
shadows look quite strange in M&B when you're using seperate boxes.

The 'combine' function doesn't solve that? Or I could say.....does the 'combine' function not make the two parts into one?

The actuall combining doesn't really do the same as it would be one object. Bridging a face does, but to bridge two objects you need to weak models and verts and basically do alot of annoying and unneccesary stuff. It's better, faster and more effecient to just model it as a whole from the start, IMO.

thank you , everyone from stopping this thread from going away with the thread grim reaper , and high elf ! i wish you could put that in your fantasy mod , it is impressive  :!: :!: and i like the way the gun looks and it adds an old look that makes you think you are back in the past , i could use that if i master the basics of making mods , and please , everyone , look  at my katana and rate it . i think maybe it will be a long time modelling weapons . but , on top of that , other than my other info thread , this is the favorite thread and i will post every now and then to stop this thread from dying and please support too.

P.S : i think i post alot in this thread , The Forge . i will be happy to see your designs , even if it is of normal quality , please post , my models also started bad and eventually , now i master the basics already , thanks to highelf and stoned dude for providing those awsome tutorials , thank you .!!!!

cheers,

jason

everyone , here is my newest and best model eva ! and i got the idea from MU online game , it is a design of the best sword in  mu , for those who played they should know it as ,

................ " Sword Of Destruction !!!!

please rate it !!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit : i just give it some colours , it is actually silver colour but i don't know how to custom colours

I have also made a "Winged Helmet" (474 polys):

helmsword.png

Embarrassing problems for this first model:
1) The model engulfed the player, and mae it look like one of Lhorkan's people running about :lol:
2) After rescaling and translating, it ended up hovering in front of the player
I'm getting there- I managed to do it in about 10 modifications compared to the sword's 20 something :razz:

As said i don't know how to color so here:

hammertimejd4.jpg

Wee... I did just make a hammer... Wee... i'm pathetic...

That hammer actually looks pretty good, but you made the same mistake I made when I worked on the ghoul-sickle: You are shooting yourself in the foot. When it comes time to optimize because you have twice as many polies, you are probably going t just end up nuking the pommel. It looks nice, but how often will anyone ever see it?

Orcus said:
Not very good at modelling  :oops: but how do you color the weapons?

Don't bother with vertex coloring, just make a texture in photoshop and UV map it to the model.
There are plenty of tutorials in this board.

anyway finished with the BAR
BAR_render-1.jpg

Now I cant decide what to do next: MG42 or Kar98.

I don't even know how to texture, and it seems pretty hard to learn. Oh well, i'll learn it eventually  :lol: ...

And here's my first sword:

swordai8.jpg

EDIT: Go with the MG42! I love german weapons!

Texturing is actually really easy, if you have a decent program. I use Photoshop, but GIMP probably can do the same (and is free, but has an apt name). For a medieval weapon it is really easy. Just UVW map it (not sure how Wings does it, but there is probably a tutorial on the site), take a PrintScrn of that, and pop it into your image editor. Crop it and resize to a square that is a multiple of 2, and just add a few base coats of greys and browns. Then use whatever your equivalent of the burn tool is and go to town. Apply a few basic blurring filters, repeat until you get bored. It won't be commercial quality, but it will be tolerable.

And I am sure that the various shaders and filters you can apply with M&B will help too (I have to figure those out myself).

By the way, how is this? It is my first non-gun model, and my first model for M&B. I made it to possibly submit it to the Warhammer Fantasy mod, and would just like to get an opinion or two. That is just a very basic texture (using the method I said above) that I will probably redo if the guys in charge of WF like it. It is supposed to be a Ghoul's Sickle (the concept of the weapon seems closer to a very short scimitar if you ask me, but it was modeled with a reference image from one of the source books, so ratios are pretty close), but how does it look? Is it up to M&B standards, or did I manage to make a piece of crap? And honesty would be nice since I have no experience with low-poly modeling (and very little with modeling in general), so I really have no idea if this is crap or tolerable.

Eh tobad I dont have gimp or photoshop or i'd figure out how to texture, I did have gimp but I hated the interface and couldnt figure anything out, and photoshop is way to much  :shock:

Gargh! I UV mapped my new armour wrongly and now I'll have to start the texturing again. Oh well, here it is in all it's plain glory:

arfwisg1.png

(Note - the bars on the front are there to stop sword blows - which of course will have no effect in M&B :razz:)

I bet as soon as I put it in the game it'll do something strange. But we shall see, tomorrow...

staff.jpg

Little something I whiped up and textured in about 30 minutes.

EDIT: 5376 polys with sub-division 1.

Here's my fully textured armour:

armour1.png

To the person who said texturing is hard, all you have to do is UV map it (it varies depending on programs, but it's normally only 1 button), export it, and start drawing on it. Here's the UV map for my armour:

armour1uv.jpg

Now just to figure out Yoshiboy's tutorial and get it into the game. This will be a long day...

nice armor  :wink:

MG42 and a random German bayonet

MG42_BAYONET_render.jpg

It's a low poly gun (360 when not triangulated)
If the texture rurns out to be underdetailed I'll add a couple of polys to the model

Looks good. However the high shouldn't be quite that high, and the parking lot shouldn't be right infront of the door, you should have a sidewalk and a opening so there isn't a parking spot infront of the door.

is that seven-eleven ? it looks real  :shock: :shock: :shock:

here is mine , a better sword from the last one  :oops:

it is what i call improved quality  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom