Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Yep all the modules I have so far are one piece and I use a lot of vertex paint, if thats what you mean.

If they're all one mesh, then setting them up with hard edges may give better lighting results.  If you can shoot one of them over to me via PM I'll take a look and give some constructive feedback :smile:

Lumos said:
Hey everyone. Probably not the correct thread, but as my question is still relevant, I thought I'd post here in order to attract more attention from people who know more about the subject than me.
Anyways, without further ado, here's the question: Can anyone give me any tips abou optimising meshes? Namely the world map mesh is what I'm interested in optimising, as players have reported lots of lag while on it. My world map represents a continent with a ton of water around it, and the entire thing clocks at around 80K triangles. As I'm not very well acquainted with the ins and outs of 3D modelling, I figured that it would be best if I just welded vertices together for a start - so I got my ocean and welded the crap out of its outer parts which the player will never visit anyways, then started to weld verts in a 4x4 manner together, reducing the number of polies at that outer ocean part roughly by 2.5 times. (At less than 10% of the ocean... "treated", I've gotten rid of about 1.5K tris, so this seems effective.) Yet, I'm losing confidence as I'm working, because I feel like I might screw up something really badly. That's why I decided to ask the pros around here for advice. Is there anything I should be cautious of while welding verts around? Is welding vertices a good idea to start with? While welding the ocean could be a good idea, as it's smooth and far away and needs less detail, I don't think that welding verts on land would be as good. Is there anything better I could do to avoid screwing the terrain up if I do weld on land?

Can you post a picture of your world map, maybe with some pictures showing the distribution of vertexes?

Some new clothes and stuff for my mod - I've decided on calling it "The Reckoning". I plan on creating a thread for it pretty soon now as well  :grin:

mb1ny.jpg

Note some parts of the helmet weren't made by me, they come from the zombie mod by nemeruis.

xenoargh said:
Got my entry for inXile's contest done.  Now I just have to figure out how to get it uploaded to the Asset Store in... 38 minutes  :lol:

(View in 3D)
I really like the idea and the style seems dead on for W2.

Things I'd say would benefit from some touching up are:

Wood - looks too freshly cut. Sort of like laminate flooring. Would benefit from a sort of dry maybe slightly cracked look. Desaturating it and/or shift the hue away from red to more of a yellow greenish tinge.
Sheet metal - should be more shiny. Could just be p3d but it doesn't read as metal right now.
Add two extra vertices to the toilet. There's no need to leave it like that and the cost of making it look much rounder is very low. Just smooth out the rim :wink:.
Writing - Why does "The readin room" have a drop shadow?

@ xenoargh, I like it. I agree with the above but, the toilet is a bit low poly. 

Edit: Also is it just me or is imageshack down?
In that I cant login to my account and it wont let me create a new one. And then when I try to create a new one it keeps coming up "email has already been used" even when I know for a fact that it has not - only created the email account about ten minutes ago  :???:

@Captain Lust:  Good critique, thanks :smile:

The part I found hardest to deal with is that I felt like the spec was too restrictive on triangles while being relatively relaxed about texture sizes (1K would have been much much more comfy, I could have made it look almost real) and that I didn't take any advantage of alpha transparency at all.  Well, that, and having about 8 total hours to design, research and develop it  :lol:

I think I'll re-work it for practice's sake, if nothing else.  That, and not quite enough time research funny in-jokes relating to the 1980s and incorporate them into the piece.  There are quite a few of them there; for example, the livery on the fuselage is from a defunct airline from that time, Aeroamerica.  Not that I expect the W2 guys to get the jokes, it's just one of the ways I like to have fun.

Wish I'd heard about this contest a wee bit earlier; I don't know whether I'll be able to submit revisions to Unity and have them get them or not. 

Anyhow, good call on the toilet; it took 4 verts to really do it (talking me right up to 500, the spec) but I got it rounded and I think it'll look great with the normal map. 

The wood was a tough call; when it's really desaturated it can read as metal if there isn't much grain, but lot of grain turns into noisy hash at a distance, which in this case is a Bad Thing.  I'll go ahead and revise it and we'll see how it feels. 

The text wasn't drop-shadowed, I built up black spray and detailed it out and... and... it looks like a drop-shadow.  Rats.  Fixing that one's pretty much impossible, short of re-doing it, but I suppose I could hit the outer rim again and try to make it feel more natural.  The specularity's fairly complicated on this one; lots of different materials to read there.  Can probably boost it where it really needs it, at the metal's edges and the window, and get a better result.

[EDIT]Hit it again, got most of the stuff fixed.  Unity, though, is being a pain; I can have diffuse / cutout, but specular / cutout isn't working right- I can have specular or cutoff, basically.  Weird.  Not quite sure what's happening when the data's getting compressed to DXTnm.[/EDIT]

La Grandmaster said:
@ xenoargh, I like it. I agree with the above but, the toilet is a bit low poly. 

Edit: Also is it just me or is imageshack down?
In that I cant login to my account and it wont let me create a new one. And then when I try to create a new one it keeps coming up "email has already been used" even when I know for a fact that it has not - only created the email account about ten minutes ago  :???:

why dont u use moddb it let u upload as much as u want images for free
the only problem is that max size for a file is 2mb in your personal images gallery
but on mods or in groups it is 4mb

Some works of mine (Mainly retextures) I decided to post them here because it's as good as place as any for feedback.

The Old Praetorian Helmet
12EF372F2A845F97CCCFA8A6D0B3EE40C99845F2

Tugmund's new Praetorian Helmet
E78E25348D53A7DA68D47AF01B20563A9C8590D1

New Gladiator Secutor Armour
FC839CEC5DEBC1C4FC035B206A7D5D620BBF4918

New Gladiator Raeritterarius (Correct me if i spelt that wrong) Armour
C6C3AC099A10DBA4B60FF088C86048CADBCECB4A

Could do with some constructive criticism.

(I'm quite proud of getting the old white scar tissue and the recent scars to look realistic too.

And i am aware that one of those Gladiator plate arms looks like a bit of PVC Pipe, wrapped around his arm and hit several times with a hammer.

Great first attempts :smile:  You have a long way to go, but keep at it, you'll get there :smile:
1.  Clip your images to a reasonable size before posting them.
2.  You're not showing us enough views of these objects to really see what's been changed, nor giving much explanation of what you wanted to do here.  It makes it hard to give you constructive critique if we're not sure what you wanted to achieve.

Right now, the primary thing that I can see straightaway is that you didn't match the metal colors on the Praetorian helmet correctly (i.e., your "brass" does not match the original work), and in general, you need to spend more time learning about how to paint metal.  Then you need to learn about normal and specular maps, because they're both necessary to make things that look real. 

But first, you need to be able to make a good diffuse.  Suggest staring at a lot of good metal work, both the textures and the final result.  I'd suggest reviewing Narf, Dejawolf and a few other people's work for hints about how that's done.

Tom426 said:
Some works of mine (Mainly retextures) I decided to post them here because it's as good as place as any for feedback.

(I'm quite proud of getting the old white scar tissue and the recent scars to look realistic too.

Is that "new" praetorian helmet a slight remesh & retexture of Lueii's OSP ones (shown in image #1)?

Blobmania said:
Tom426 said:

Is that "new" praetorian helmet a slight remesh & retexture of Lueii's OSP ones (shown in image #1)?

Yes, it is.

I didn't see the need to try and make a model to top that fantastic one, because i simply couldnt' :grin: , But i decided to retexture it.

Tom426 said:

Yes, it is.

I didn't see the need to try and make a model to top that fantastic one, because i simply couldnt' :grin: , But i decided to retexture it.

Just a tip - it's worth telling people that when you post it here, to avoid anyone getting the wrong idea and shouting at you for it.

Blobmania said:
Tom426 said:

Yes, it is.

Just a tip - it's worth telling people that when you post it here, to avoid anyone getting the wrong idea and shouting at you for it.

Sorry, Should've made it clearer, I took the post quote straight from The Mount and Gladius preview thread where it was much clearer what the "Old Helmet" was.

Can somebody please make a mod for a more muscular character body...for say a CONAN THE BARBARIAN runthrough :smile: there isnt much physical player to npc interaction so it shouldnt be difficult as long as u leave the hight alone....the biggest issue should be getting armors and other attiers  to match i guess.....but pls! yay!

Back
Top Bottom