Nexus_Roleplay - Rules and Info

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, decreasing the gold drop would encourage less pointless murder, would it not? Although it also takes away some of the spoils of combat.

I wonder, does the "kill bonus" apply on PW like it does in Native, and PW versions less than 4?

Erk said:
My only recommendation, increase the gold drop since some people choose to die systematically, right now.
Splintert said:
Actually, decreasing the gold drop would encourage less pointless murder, would it not? Although it also takes away some of the spoils of combat.

Well, I think a higher gold drop would increase the random amount.
I remember on a server not long ago a huge random quantity, caused by a high gold drop.

What you mean with die systematically?

Dark_Hamlet said:
Probably. The gold drop should be 100%. Now I doubt anyone will try to grind money ever again... oh I forgot... there are banks...

No one would ever do anything but kill each other with spawn weapons.

What we want to encourage is players doing something with their huge stockpiles of gold. First step is to remove the endless flow of money from admins, the second step being limiting their loss upon death. I think it'll take away the fear of losing everything, causing them to take action more often. Unfortunately the side effects is players not valuing their life as much.

S0mebody said:
Sir Edwards said:
quick question, on a daily basis what is this server's peak, and if it is not every day, what are the high points?

Err.. OK not sure what the relevance is in light of your 'For the love of god' post..

It's as low as it gets and as high as it gets, so between 0 and 20+ currently. And as we know with this community that could change at any moment just like the wind.

Problems seeing the player count in your game browser?

i just simply can't go on my cpu for gaming during week days :smile:

Splintert said:
Dark_Hamlet said:
Probably. The gold drop should be 100%. Now I doubt anyone will try to grind money ever again... oh I forgot... there are banks...

No one would ever do anything but kill each other with spawn weapons.

What we want to encourage is players doing something with their huge stockpiles of gold. First step is to remove the endless flow of money from admins, the second step being limiting their loss upon death. I think it'll take away the fear of losing everything, causing them to take action more often. Unfortunately the side effects is players not valuing their life as much.

They won't get much by spawn killing and there is the respawn waiting time and, of course, administrators to prevent spawn killing. I think it's worth a shot.

No, erasing player's progress on death is not "worth a shot". They won't even be able to play after losing everything, because changing class costs money.

I am not saying crazy high, but right now you can be a millionaire and walk around avoiding 20% robberies just by dieing. I have opposed high gold drops very often because randoming tends to get out of control and people go from valuing more or less their life adjusting how much they carry, creating the 2h naked man syndrom.

However, right now it is very low. What % have you set right now?

My suggestion is a middle ground. A bit higher, so that people do give a damn about dieing, but not high enough that it is discouraging.

Erk said:
However, right now it is very low. What % have you set right now?

10%

Erk said:
My suggestion is a middle ground. A bit higher, so that people do give a damn about dieing, but not high enough that it is discouraging.

Hm, makes sense.

Splintert said:
What we want to encourage is players doing something with their huge stockpiles of gold. First step is to remove the endless flow of money from admins

Very interesting point, which made me thinking... about the whole refund system from admins. I mean the refunding for randoming/resets/crashes can be abused so easily
and the player can swim in gold after several easy tricks. 
Hm.

Splintert said:
No, erasing player's progress on death is not "worth a shot". They won't even be able to play after losing everything, because changing class costs money.

You aren't thinking straight. If I'm fighting for a faction and I happen to die, I'll demand payment from my lord to buy more equipment or at least some coins to be able to change my poor hide to the serf class and go to work (it costs only 150 gold coins I think).

If I am an outlaw or a "white knight" and I happen to die, then boo hoo, life isn't fair and I've made the choice to be my own boss. Now I have to loot corpses or do something else.

If I am a serf or a peasant all I have to do is to use the starting tools to raise some gold.

Also, this game isn't centered in gold making, you have to discourage people from pursuing the "get rich" goal, not encourage them.

Not over yet. This game is ultra boring with all this protection, the harder it becomes the better. To understand my point, simply go play Minecraft in survival mode for a time, get bored of it and then go play Don't Starve.

Dark_Hamlet said:
Splintert said:

You aren't thinking straight. If I am fighting for a faction and I happen to die, I'll demand payment from my lord to buy more equipment or at least some coins to be able to change my poor hide to the serf class and go to work (it costs only 150 gold coins I think).

If I am an outlaw or a "white knight" and I happen to die, then boo hoo, life isn't fair and I've made the choice to be my own boss. Now I have to loot corpses or do something else.

If I am a serf or a peasant all I have to do is use the starting tools to raise some gold.

Also, this game isn't centered in gold making, you have to discourage people from pursuing the "get rich" goal, not encourage them.

Not over yet. This game is ultra boring with all this protection, the harder it becomes the better. To understand my point, simply go play Minecraft in survival mode for a time, get bored of it and then go play Don't Starve.

The game is even more boring when you die to an arrow to the face and have to start from square 0. The Lord will be busy not having any money either, because when he inevitably dies he won't be able to fund any of his men. Similarly, serfs won't be able to produce anything because they get killed.

Splintert said:
Dark_Hamlet said:
Splintert said:

You aren't thinking straight. If I am fighting for a faction and I happen to die, I'll demand payment from my lord to buy more equipment or at least some coins to be able to change my poor hide to the serf class and go to work (it costs only 150 gold coins I think).

If I am a serf or a peasant all I have to do is use the starting tools to raise some gold.

The game is even more boring when you die to an arrow to the face and have to start from square 0. The Lord will be busy not having any money either, because when he inevitably dies he won't be able to fund any of his men. Similarly, serfs won't be able to produce anything because they get killed.

The game is boring when you die to an arrow just to go to the same place, to guard the same area and with the same equipment and weapons bought again, just 5 minutes later. The lord can use his brains and store his money in the faction gold chest, if he doesn't do it then it will be his fault entirely when he can't supply his men anymore. Serfs can make money with the starting tools and, in the same way that there are brigands and looters, there are guards and good characters. Think outside the box.

Hamlet, you're not understanding the issue here.

Sure, players will be more wary. But it won't matter because no one will ever have anything more than spawn equipment.

Splintert said:
Hamlet, you're not understanding the issue here.

Sure, players will be more wary. But it won't matter because no one will ever have anything more than spawn equipment.

At the start. But people will eventually group and help each other, starting with the stick gathering and then going to more complex things, cooperation will have a deeper meaning. But since this is all hypothetical, we can't do much aside from discuss what the outcome would be. Unless if someone is willing to try...

Also, Splintert, I don't know if I have you on steam, but I wanted to show you something...

Hey, there are interesting points made.

However, with the new server banking people can deposit and withdraw at NPC any time, those they won't need to carry vast amounts of gold. When they do, they will choose to be protected. (This is a coming feature of the server, if I am not wrong).

100% seems extreme, but slightly larger seems a bit more appropriate, say 15% at first.

I think that too many changes at a time is a bad policy. Let's see how the lighter rules environment works. If the server owners throw everything in at once at it goes wrong, we wouldn't even be able to tell what it was.

I had a fun time today and I think that most people in the server did. Let's see how it works out.

Why not set it to 25%? Right now you can onyl rob for 20 %. It's techniclly more worth dying (10%) than paying. Make it 25% and you'll try to not die just as often, both in robbeiries nad normal play.

^dat english

By the way, now I suspect it is 1% not 10%. Unless there was something weird, that's what I have been dropping.

20% is fine with me, I just assumed at 15% most people would rather pay than lose progress made, giving robbers a tiny bit of an incentive to rob instead of kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom