OSP 3D Art New hairs for Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

I made those faces with some extensive photoshopping. You want me to upload them? I'd be happy too :smile: As for the male counterpart though, that's my face! So I can't hand that out! I'm far too handesome to be OSP! :p

I can't make models of hair, mainly because I lack the ambition of those talented modelers. However, if you can find models similiar to what you want, and redeem permission for their use, I'd be very happy to help you convert them!

Jay's Female Faces uploaded for you!

I like them really, but i see one Problem: They have around ten times as much vertices than the normal hairs. This could be a problem.

Perhaps. Depends on your PC rig, mine runs with most games max settings. So, it's not a problem for me, others may have such a problem though. But that's not the mod at fault, that's the users gaming rig. But it'll likely only be users and companions using this, so since there won't be hundreds of npcs with 2k Verts, you should still be just fine.

Yes, sure, was just something i wanted to tell you :wink:
That just makes them useless for normal troops or in Multiplayer for the players/bots to use.

Indeed. but when wanting to look at pretty hair, it should be reserved for only the best of us! The players that is, those pilgrims and servants can keep their knotted hair! However, we shalt be given combs. Plus due to helmets and such, it makes it rather pointless to give hair to NPCs, unless they're townsfolk, which then at that point, the hairs shouldn't cause too much lag.

But, it's hard for me to know, since I've never experianced lag on a game outside MMOs. If I find low poly models I'll attempt to attain some permission however. Or even might try some modeling, although my attempts would likely be ugly. :p

I reworked the UVmapping on the original Mount and Blade hairs and put it up for download, for now, that's all I can offer low poly, since I'm having trouble finding models outside the original M&B. Those should fit well for multiplayer then, enjoy! :p

Might you be able to simplify some of the models (there are tools out there to reduce poly counts) and then simply use textures with more transparency to approximate the un-evenness of the hair, etc, and improve performance?

Note I'm saying this without having downloaded the models and to check them out myself...so if this is somehow irrelevant, I apologize.

warband hairs when i checked had less than 800 triangles

most of those models had ~1800

actually one model had here 15000 triangles so i can only say about that: model maker do not really had any idea about texturing

and in general most of models can can have 2x less triangles and look same as it looks right now

and at the end

i think model maker uwmaker and texturer must be the same person not 2 or 3 of them.

Actually, generally it's common to have high poly counts on cosmetic items such as hairs in most games and mods. Especially in games like Sims and Oblivion, which is where these hair models were originally intended. But since this is warband, the poly count becomes more of an issue obviously. However, the modelers were in fact great at texturing as well, and gave lots of their time to the communities they originally invested into.

As said, these models were not intended for a game with numerous amounts of NPCs on the screen at once, nor was my compilation of these mods into the game intended for that. I made this primarily for players, especially for those who love Single player.

As for the alpha, I believe that's the game engine, as the textures for the hairs, as well as the UVMapping is correct, however, when used in the game the texture looks extremely rigid. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix that.

But yes, the hairs are high poly, not due to lack of skill, but due to a different intention for their placement. Personally I only play SP, so I enjoy them without problems, as I don't plan on having hundreds of NPCs wearing hair with thousands of verts.

As for a program to reduce the models polys and such, a link would be very welcome. I'll see what I could do if it was provided.

As for their being multiple people working on this, that is solely because the original textures could not be implemented into warband due to its engine. Only one hair texture can be used for all hairs. So I HAD to UVmap them again in order for it to work, and the texturer is Talesworld due to this. If I had discovered a work-around so each hair would utilize it's own texture, I would have done it immediatly. But the sole reason I learned UVMapping was because that was no option.

Thanks for the comment though Caba`drin, I'm not a modeler nor ever used these programs until now, and that was simply because I wanted to port something. So my experiance in this department is near none. But, I'd still like to learn how to reduce polys so more people would be willing to implement them at their leisure.

actually if i am not wrong you can use multiple textures for hairs in MB-warband

i actually haven't tryed with hairs but with armors helmets and pretty many items it works well

you just need to import multiple mesh (different hair segments for example must have different texture or matterial)
and call it in openbrf for example if your hair right now is called mine_new_hair

then in open brf it must look like this
mine_new_hair
mine_new_hair.rightside
mine_new_hair.backside
mine_new_hair.front
mine_new_hair.5
mine_new_hair.whatever_i want_i can_ write_there

theres is few exception you cannot call it like .x .Rx .L .Lx .Lod .Lod1 =cause those had another functions

Yes, you can import textures and make the materials however, you need to add the texture file for the hair in skins.txt, and then if you use that on a specific skin, all the other hairs use that texture, making them all have awkward UVmapping, and if you make multiple selections for hair textures, the game seems to crash since there is no actual selection for it. So while textures should be able to be applied individually, they cannot because of the games system on how it manages textures for each skin.

I went through 3 days of trying to bypass this, from what I've seen I can't. I was able to use a texture for an imported hair, however that makes all hairs (For that skin) use that texture as well. Making it pointless if only one skin can use one hair. So, UVmapping was in essence the only choice.

But yes, armors, weapons, and all that work much differently than hairs, because it actually uses the BRF as a referance to what texture should be used, however, hairs use the current skin of the character you're using to make a referance to what hair texture should be used.

It took me 3 days of mental pain and stress to discover that it's just simply the game engine that locks this out. Perhaps there's a way to add a slider to choose hair textures for skins, but I have no coding experiance, nor am capable of that sort of logic. So UVmapping has been the only way to manage this result.

The game doesn't crash because of the mesh, I think you misunderstood the whole premise. Probably is my wording. I crashed because skins can't select multiple hair textures.

manface_young_2 4291551456 1 3  hair_blonde  4294967295  4289742615  4283443737 Original

manface_young_2 4291551456 <2> 3  hair_blonde <hair_texture>  4294967295  4289742615  4283443737 <Changes>

Due to the games engine, selecting the new texture for the skin seems impossible, thus it CAN'T use multiple textures, and if it is selected, using randomize, it crashes the game. There is no work around from what I can see. UVmapping is the ONLY way that I've worked around this.

The only real issue would be polys, which isn't an issue, it's just a variable, and variables can be changed.

Crashes were only experianced when I was working on a way to set up on how to do the hairs. Which eventually led to me just re-mapping the models, that's all.

Jaymosuke said:
As for a program to reduce the models polys and such, a link would be very welcome. I'll see what I could do if it was provided.
I learned to make LOD meshes using a downloaded script for Blender.  Little did I know that such a function is already built into Blender.
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

My experience with hair meshes was not what I had hoped for.  The mesh looked fine in Blender but Openbrf and the game showed many areas of the hair mesh missing.  My lack of 3d modeling skills may be the reason I had such an outcome. :lol:  Perhaps your results will be move favorable.

Just to help, in the skins.txt in the Native module, it would look like this :

man_hair_s  man_hair_m  man_hair_n  man_hair_o  man_hair_y10  man_hair_y12  man_hair_p  man_hair_r  man_hair_q  man_hair_v  man_hair_t  man_hair_y6  man_hair_y3  man_hair_y7  man_hair_y9  man_hair_y11  man_hair_u  man_hair_y  man_hair_y2  man_hair_y4  hairmessy  shortlayer  shoulderhair  shortbob  shortcut  ponytail  longshoulder  longstraight  straightshoulder  slickedback  maidenhair  courthair

:: And for women, near the end of the file :

woman_hair_p  woman_hair_n  woman_hair_o  woman_hair_q  woman_hair_r  woman_hair_t  woman_hair_s  hairmessy  shortlayer  shoulderhair  shortbob  shortcut  ponytail  longshoulder  longstraight  straightshoulder  slickedback  maidenhair  courthair

As far as I know, you don't need to touch the lines "5  hair_blonde  hair_red  hair_brunette  hair_black  hair_white". I believe the rest of the code are generic models for random NPCs in the game (which means you can add new ones I think).

Back
Top Bottom