New campaign e1.0.11 no snowballing

Users who are viewing this thread

Styo

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I started a new campaign since we haven't had a patch in a couple of days and not sure if I'm just lucky, but ~300 days in, couple castles exchanged hands but that's about it. It seems like there is no snowballing happening. Mercenaries are coming and going, gold is flowing. Most fun I've had so far!

Same here - no snowballing. Like it, except the mercenary flood needs to be toned down a bit.
For starters, not every minor faction should be a merc.
And minor factions shouldn't join kingdoms they hate lorewise.

My biggest save rn was started in like 1.0.5 with Bannerlord Tweaks and I didn't experienced snowball till then. Day 1200 and everyone is still alive, Sturgia has 1 town left but I guess braindead Raganvad is more to blame for that

What is the reason why? I am playing the beta 1.1 though, no snowballing and curious if it is the same reason?

Because when lords are defeated they are captured for a day or two, then escape and respawn with a 50-man army and do it all over again. Once you get a fief or two they will endlessly bumrush your villages and will keep coming back again and again with their zombie/demon hordes of fresh troops spawned by black magic.

Same here - no snowballing. Like it, except the mercenary flood needs to be toned down a bit.
For starters, not every minor faction should be a merc.
And minor factions shouldn't join kingdoms they hate lorewise.
I don't mind it as long as it prevents snowballing. If they flood a faction and help them paint the map, then it'll be something that I dislike.

Because when lords are defeated they are captured for a day or two, then escape and respawn with a 50-man army and do it all over again. Once you get a fief or two they will endlessly bumrush your villages and will keep coming back again and again with their zombie/demon hordes of fresh troops spawned by black magic.
I'm on e1.011 and I don;t recall AI spawning with 50 troops. Then again, I could of missed it.

My biggest save rn was started in like 1.0.5 with Bannerlord Tweaks and I didn't experienced snowball till then. Day 1200 and everyone is still alive, Sturgia has 1 town left but I guess braindead Raganvad is more to blame for that
The fact that it takes nearly 3 days to travel from one end of sturgian territory to the other, is probably also to blame. Pretty hard to defend that.

Anyway, yes snowballing is less common but what ive noticed is that dying factions will have mercenary minor faction spam, and end up with like 50 tiny parties of <30men swarming their last settlement.

They should change that without artifically boost something. Snowballing could be easily prevent, that each fief gives maintenance costs, which exponetial increase. So at some point, nobody can afford it. Just like the roman empire, that become really big, and becoming so big created new problems of travel distances and control over far lands.

Yeah, this is a problem. I am in the middle of a war right now where this is going on and honestly I have been struggling with getting myself to want to continue playing. I has just worn me out to have to be constantly defeating lord after lord, army after army, over and over and over again with it never stopping or slowing down for an instant. Worse, you kill off an army, capture the lords, imprison them and in the next army that show up, they are back again having somehow managed to escape the dungeon and raise a full army in the 10 minutes since you last captured them.

I will say it was quite fun for the first couple of hours but after killing off 3 full armies and countless single lords as they raid your villages over and over, you would think that you would have thinned their numbers enough for you to consider going on the offensive, but nope, they just keep coming and coming and coming. Eventually the only way you can stem the tide is to behead the lords but that has its own issues.

Lets just say, after a while the zombie horde spam of countless lords and armies gets very tiring and old. It really needs to be fixed.

It’s a poor understanding of design principles.

The core issues of “steamrolling” are aggressiveness and offensive action (i.e. whatever their agent behavior model is to attack and/or seize). You don’t change the price of tea in China or ultimately upend the rest of your design to govern those agent decisions.

You create a separate resource (secret or otherwise) that constrains agent selection of offensive action (i.e. aggression). The resource has a faucet and sink like all game resources. That’s how you govern steamrolling. It’s measurable and adjustable without changing other design components.

The price of tea in China could certainly modify the facet or sink, but it doesn’t break it (modify the price of tea) in the process. Inputs have weights (i.e. magnitudes; multiplicative factors) applied in order to tune the results.

For example, that mitigates the risk of an OP troop unit causing a steamrolling effect for a specific empire.

God willing, they will also refactor out all those many Rand() calls from inside their algorithms. Algorithms should be deterministic and separate functions in accordance with a strategy pattern. Apply a jitter function to the result. Measurable, adjustable and more easily testable.

Last edited:
My latest save game started in the beta branch and there isn't any snowballing at all. Im on day 500 or something. Fiefs are changing hands but all initial kingdoms are still there. The weakest two kingoms sturgia and west empire still have 3 towns and a bunch of castles.

Well, with money, they should be able to quickly raise an army. I wonder if it takes away from their wealth at least?

Same here; some where around day 600 in my campaign and am not really enjoying playing anymore. Allied with the Southern Empire and have been at war with the Asari since day 450 I think (maybe earlier) and nothing has happened apart from capturing one city and one castle. I've also noticed that the AI armies just bum-rush the nearest AI army and get slaughtered. Every time I command an army myself, I attempt to keep casualties to a bare minimum, but it is of no use as the AI always comes back with multiple armies. TBH, I really think TW needs to implement population system that is depleted over time which would help stave off endless wars and make strategic battles all the more important. IMHO, if you face an enemy army that is 600-1k strong and you completely annihilate it, than it should take time for the AI to recover and vice versa; granted I know a lot of players probably would not like that mechanic at all.

Edit: This is with the 1.1.0 beta branch, not the main branch.

Yes, snowballing is fixed, but the new issue is that lords only seem to field recruits 99% of the time. My horse archers are shredding every single Empire army we come across with almost no casualties.

Congratulations everyone. You wanted to defeat the organic flow of the game, and got your wish monkey 's paw style. Hope ya'll happy.

Yes, snowballing is fixed, but the new issue is that lords only seem to field recruits 99% of the time. My horse archers are shredding every single Empire army we come across with almost no casualties.

Archers are OP. Horse archers are totally EZ-mode ridiculous OP.

But the reason they field so many recruits is because they just keep spawning with them. The winner-takes-all nature of battles wherein the loser loses their entire army needs to be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom