Native Expansion .623 released - major Dark Knight improvements, better quests!

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi everyone,

I've released the next edition of Native Expansion, version .623. Sadly, this is not backwards compatible with previous revisions, but much of the new content will be most interesting if you start a new game. This release focused heavily on the Dark Knights, Brutality Mode, and quest XP balance, making the end-game a much more interesting place. To start off with, the Dark Knights as an "end-game" threat have been completely reworked, and though I'm only done with about 10% of the features I hope to implement, they are already starting to feel like a cunning and ruthless threat, rather than a brick wall. The changelog is below, feel free to look it over and give .623 a try!

You can find it in the downloads thread: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,314778.0.html

Major Changes:
  • Dark Knights overhaul: See below for details on how they are now a cunning and ruthless threat
  • Brutality mode improvements: It doesn't play fair. See below for details.
  • Quest XP rebalance: Most quests now are rebalanced to provide XP more appropriate for their difficulty, and nearly all quests will provide bonus XP upon completion, ranging from 25 to 100 XP per level. This includes tournaments, which makes questing and tournaments a viable way to add meaningful experience to you and NPC heroes without having to participate in endless slaughter. Though the climb is still steep at high levels, now you should feel much more inclined to take a village elder quest at level 30, since the XP reward will level-scaled.

Dark Knights, the ultimate in end-game terror:
  • You will no longer face a brick wall of soldiers that simply roll over everything they find until they run out of steam. The Dark Knights are now a ruthless and cunning faction, no more or less human than any other faction, but one with subterfuge to back up their might. Some of the many things you will face off against with the new and improved Dark Knights are:
  • Dark Knights are now beatable in combat. They are tough, and even with top-tier soldiers you will still take losses, but they CAN be beaten on the open field!
  • The AI will also be able to take on the Dark Knights, especially when they greatly outnumber them. Expect to see the AI actually winning against them at times!
  • ... but don't let that fool you. Just because they are no longer a brick wall, doesn't mean they aren't extremely dangerous. The Dark Knights have other tricks in store...
  • The Dark Knights now come loaded for bear. You will face off against their Queen and at least 8 vassals, and as high as 12 if you are on Brutality mode!
  • Prepared invasions! During the early stages of their invasion, or if they determine they are being beaten, the Dark Knights will rally around their Marshall, concentrating all of their force into one area, making them very difficult to pick apart. A crafty player may be able to intercept them before this massive war party can form, and defeating their Marshall will end their campaign.
  • No longer are they content to wait for disloyal Calradian lords to join them. After their invasion, they will seek out a disloyal, city-owning lord, and convince him to defect! If you're a monarch or a vassal, try to prevent handing out cities to disloyal vassals - they might turn tail at the first sight of a Dark Knight invasion!
  • They are also a cunning bunch, and if they spot a castle with no owner, they will make an attempt to bully the garrison into swearing fealty to them!
  • An extra dose of ouch for those playing Brutality: The event in which all Kingdoms rally against the Dark Knights will happen much, much later.
  • Their strategy extends beyond looking for disloyal lords. The Dark Knights will now actively hire mercenary armies to hunt down and destroy the faction Marshalls of any kingdom they are at war with. These very tough mercenaries are out for themselves only, and will relentlessly pursue the Marshall, sacking his army again and again, until their contract has expired. If the player is a vassal or otherwise allied to the Marshall, it may be in your best interest to help counter-attack these mercenaries! Nearby allied lords will join in on the fight, and a Marshall on campaign or supported by his liege is unlikely to be defeated, but a Marshall caught alone or unprepared will almost assuredly be crushed, throwing the faction into disarray. The Dark Knights will continue to hire mercenaries in this fashion until they are defeated.
  • A DK lord who isn't imprisoned will replenish his or her army much faster than a normal kingdom lord, making it imperative to keep them imprisoned if you want to crush them! (Consider building an Oubliette)

Bug fixes:
  • A CTD when fighting near Yaroglek or Larktin has been fixed
  • Cosmetic issue where an empty DK faction can show up in the factions list is kind of fixed
  • Division by zero bug when calculating hero/lord wages (probably a native bug) has been fixed
  • Endless "provocation" dialog spam fixed
  • A wide number of provocation and truce bugs were fixed by the same "provocation" bug fix

Brutality mode changes:
  • If you are a vassal following the Marshall, and you leave his side, you will take a renown penalty, an honour penalty, and a steep relation penalty
  • When the Dark Knights invade, you will face an additional 4 Dark Knight vassals (12 vs non-brutality :cool:

Balance changes:
  • Nearly all quests now add bonus XP based on your level. Any typical quest will generally add about 50 XP per character level upon completion.
  • The report to marshall quest has more realistic requirements and penalties. The Marshall expects you to command a much larger army, and if you own a City or Castle, his expectations will go up even higher. Don't be surprised if he turns you away for not having 50 or more soldiers at your command. You will have a little bit more time to fulfill the request, however.
  • The "town tough" quest no longer spawns anyone with the "Broken Bottle" item. You'll instead receive a staff, more appropriate for attempting to beat someone into submission than shanking them with broken shards of glass.
  • Farmers can now upgrade into either the Mercenary branch (much higher cost, better equipment, higher level cap) or the Militia branch (much lower cost, inferior equipment, manhunters and caravan guards). This will allow the player to easily raise their own militia through rescuing peasants if they wish.

Wow. Amazing.
Been testing the game and everything has worked flawlessly so far, except of course the one-handed swords that are supposed to be two-handed swords and vice versa

When should we expect new update? Can i play without starting new game in next few days bacause another update?  :smile:

Btw. Good job man this mod is awesome. I wish i could defeat Dark Knights someday, these guys are tough!

Dovak said:
When should we expect new update? Can i play without starting new game in next few days bacause another update?  :smile:

Not for several weeks at least, unless there are really bad bugfixes. But, if there are bugfixes, I will make them save compatible. Usually, any modifications to triggers and scripts are just fine. It's changing ordered lists that cause problems.

Arqueirox said:
hei soulmata, any news about the siege tower?

Can't find anything about this; is this a known issue? Just encountered it today when I tried to besiege a town for the first time this game. Troops refuse to take up pushing positions around the siege tower regardless of how long you wait.

Copy the scene_props.txt from normal native folder or NE 6.10 to the 6.23 folder. Now the siege tower will start in the wall. A bunch of script erro will spam when enter in towns or villages, but wtv.

Hum hi dudes i dunno if i have to report here but i see a bug :
When you go with your marshall to attack a city they stay eternally near the city but never attack and the city is undersiege but nothing more...
Is there any solution to this trouble?

Many thanks in advance

kurosaki said:
Hum hi dudes i dunno if i have to report here but i see a bug :
When you go with your marshall to attack a city they stay eternally near the city but never attack and the city is undersiege but nothing more...
Is there any solution to this trouble?

Many thanks in advance

The AI takes much longer to build siege equipment & decide to assault. The AI will also never assault until enough soldiers are nearby to help. So it can take much, much longer for an AI marshall to attack. Eventually the marshall will give up or be driven off if enough vassals don't show up to help, but it is possible for this to take many game days, sometimes even longer. A lot of times what I do is when I'm told to join a campaign, I first start reading a book and get some fresh troops, go to the city, and camp for a few days with the marshall nearby, so I get troops trained and get a book read while he's diddling around.

One thing that can help is to assault it yourself and weaken the holding, but generally speaking, the AI won't attack a city until they determine their strength is at least 2x the strength of the city (troop quality is taken into account, so a nearby liege with elites will give a good boost).

Another method you can use to help out is, if you have high persuasion, go find other vassals and tell them "There's a fortress that can be easily captured..." and tell them to go to that city. They will go support the marshall.

Mate,

Many thanks for your answer.Yesterday we besieged Narra and when the sarranid king came we took it.This is really an awesome mod and you added so realistic update .
This is way so far my preferred mod I spend tons of hour with it so thank you a lot and keep up the good work

Many thanks dude

I edit it Soulmate i hope you will see my message :
I dunno how i can hire noble troop from other faction than mine? I remove the option in setting "restrict noble troop to your faction" but i m not able to have the option to recruit nobles in other factions even if i m the king of my own kingdom no option(i have 600 renown) . Do you know how i can hire some vaegir or Swadians noble troops?
Edit 2 : I found it : it depends on the "right to rule". I dunno exactly how but i sent my companions and married and now i can hire dat guys easily . BUt i dunno where appears the right to rule number?
Many thanks again

Hi, I seem to have a problem with the textures. They're all blurry when I start a new game, is there a solution for this?

Edit: Scratch that, all good! Just had to play around with the texture detail setting.

kurosaki said:
Mate,

Many thanks for your answer.Yesterday we besieged Narra and when the sarranid king came we took it.This is really an awesome mod and you added so realistic update .
This is way so far my preferred mod I spend tons of hour with it so thank you a lot and keep up the good work

Many thanks dude

I edit it Soulmate i hope you will see my message :
I dunno how i can hire noble troop from other faction than mine? I remove the option in setting "restrict noble troop to your faction" but i m not able to have the option to recruit nobles in other factions even if i m the king of my own kingdom no option(i have 600 renown) . Do you know how i can hire some vaegir or Swadians noble troops?
Edit 2 : I found it : it depends on the "right to rule". I dunno exactly how but i sent my companions and married and now i can hire dat guys easily . BUt i dunno where appears the right to rule number?
Many thanks again
It appears under the reports section, I believe.

[quote author=soulmata] Dark Knights invasion time pushed up. They will invade randomly between day 240 and 300.
[/quote]

'You will no longer face a brick wall of soldiers that simply roll over everything they find until they run out of steam.'

I'm sorry, but the dark knights are even stronger than earlier version. 

Nope. They aren't. In both autocalc battles and Lord vs Lord battles, the ratio of DK victories has dropped substantially, at least insofar as I was able to test across about 10-15 hours of setting battles up. 1:1 ratio they will still generally win, but I have seen a 1200 Katilus party take down a 900 DK party.

With .623 they definitely recruit a lot faster if you don't imprison them, and they much more aggressively target weak nations and weak lords, so it's certainly possible it seems they are stronger.

I played some previous versions of NE and in .623b the Dark Knights are way stronger. I have to play in a certain way to stop them. If I decide not to be in war with them... they destroyed 3 kingdoms for around 100 days. The speed they recruit lords and sending armies to hunt enemy marshall is ridiculous (those armies beat few of factions lords). You are forced to imprison their lords and have points in certain skills to do so effectively and even then they escape eventually. The other nations are hopeless if you decide not to fight the Dark Knights. Their elite troops are nerfed as well except maybe the sentinels but the bows don't do piercing damage anymore. The other nations don't declare war to the Dark Knights, so have fun ruining your game if you decided to play Brutality mod max difficulty and not be in war with the Dark Knights. You can beat them of course but it requires playing a certain way, build your character this way, and use "tricks", and be in war with them. I wonder why I started Brutality mod in this version. I played Brutality mod on other versions and no way the Dark Knights destroyed other nations so fast.

Back
Top Bottom