My Let's Play of Prophesy of Pendor; tips for newbs and veterans alike!

Users who are viewing this thread

Cyzyk said:
Mix some D'Shar bladesmen (and their upgrades) in with a bunch of Legionaries and you have an incredibly tough and surprisingly deadly block of troops that can absorb most cavalry charges. Although Gladiators are probably still a better choice.

...Honestly, they might be a better choice than everything. I've been really impressed with my Gladiators lately. They are like souped-up Fierd Berserkers, since they are smart enough to actually wear armor sometimes.
Yup, Glads are pretty good, and I can have a group of pure Glads take down groups of their own size pretty solidly, but their lack of armor makes them expensive fodder in any sort of large battle.

fidoman1272 said:
Cyzyk said:
Mix some D'Shar bladesmen (and their upgrades) in with a bunch of Legionaries and you have an incredibly tough and surprisingly deadly block of troops that can absorb most cavalry charges. Although Gladiators are probably still a better choice.

...Honestly, they might be a better choice than everything. I've been really impressed with my Gladiators lately. They are like souped-up Fierd Berserkers, since they are smart enough to actually wear armor sometimes.
Yup, Glads are pretty good, and I can have a group of pure Glads take down groups of their own size pretty solidly, but their lack of armor makes them expensive fodder in any sort of large battle.

Yeah, I've been using Glads a lot as well (I may or may not be recording this vastly ahead of schedule...)

On that note, new episode is up!

Also, 60 subscribers, wow! Thanks a lot for the support guys!

Annnnnd another one! :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feALSIR4zyw&feature=youtu.be

This is building some nice traction, I think we're on about 4000 forum views! Glad you guys like it!

Aldrahill said:
No one wants to worship a little short man with a moustache, now come on.

Surprisingly, quite a lot of people prefer to do exactly that. Look up the list of dictators of the last 100 years or so and see the error in your statement! :wink:

I dislike autoequipment of NPC compansies. But others abhor that much micromanagment. However, do it multiple times, so your NPC´s pick from the discarded loot too.

I've never had to do it multiple times, they automatically pick up the discarded loot as soon as one of my companions discards it.  Anytime I do it after the initial one it gives an Unfortunately nothing was worth taking message

noosers said:
Aldrahill said:
No one wants to worship a little short man with a moustache, now come on.

Surprisingly, quite a lot of people prefer to do exactly that. Look up the list of dictators of the last 100 years or so and see the error in your statement! :wink:

I dislike autoequipment of NPC compansies. But others abhor that much micromanagment. However, do it multiple times, so your NPC´s pick from the discarded loot too.

You've got me there, noosers :razz:

I actually rather like the micromanagment, but only so far as telling them what kinds of stuff to use - you don't have to do it multiple times, however. They all work from the pool, sharing in equipment. I'm not sure if it's done top down, but I've never once had any good response from clicking to do it again; I think it just makes the check several times, and upgrades based on what each of them want.

Excellent. Since I never use that feature and that was the main issue which buggered me with autoloot I totally forgot that this issue was solved.
The more as I equip compansies according to the current Rule of Cool rather than mere values.

noosers said:
Excellent. Since I never use that feature and that was the main issue which buggered me with autoloot I totally forgot that this issue was solved.
The more as I equip compansies according to the current Rule of Cool rather than mere values.

I'm a shameless thief when it comes to equipment; if I get a companion with awesome looking equipment, I barely have to justify it to myself before I rob them blind and leave them with some ****ty robes or whatever :sad:

So the voice of an angel but the deeds of a devil. Naughty naughty person.  :mrgreen:

Stealing Sigismund Ebony Plate but leaving him in shorts. Tststs.

So just a quick question since this post say's it's a bit about tips. What is the recommended difficulty to play PoP on? I mean I have the AI combat and campaign at hardest. But on the damage bar I just don't know what to pick when I have 1/4 or 1/2 it feels a bit to easy but when I put it on normal I charged through some vanskerry with armor value of 40+ and I take 1 throwing axe in the back from a Vanskerry Warrior and it did 173 dmg. I don't even know how to survive that with the best armor in the game  :cry: was it just some kind of crit hit or something? I mean when the crouched lance dmg is 200-300+ I am like fine I can understand that but a single throwing axe hitting like that  :shock:. Also a bit curious why is my income from my fiefs fluctuating so immensely all of a sudden with 1 castle 1 town and 1 village and with around 15-20k troop cost I can get everything from -5k per week up to +70k per week is it simple by how many villagers manages to reach my town and village or does it just go up and down? I have no idea what would influence the castle seeing as nothing happens there.

173 dmg sounds like a headshot. In fact, you need to invest lots in equipment and skills/attributes before you can charge into the fray like that in PoP. The preferred playstyle in this mod would be that of a renaissance commander rather than a medieval commander: Stay back and command your troops to do the main work, instead of charging into the fray at the head of your troops and thus most likely going down pretty quickly. There's only a few types of heavy/elite/fast enemies that might require your direct involvement, in order to keep casualties low. Usually the player is better at getting rid of fast horse archers that lure whole bunches of your heavy cav away from the main battle and heavily armoured enemies like heretic magni and the elite household troops of the kings and major lords are easier to beat with player involvement.

As for the income, a fiefs rents are usually pretty high the first week after you get it, since rents stack up when nobody holds the fief. After that they drop to normal.

I think you get increased income for the first few weeks after you take a towm/fort.
But -5k to 70k sounds way too big changes.

Set your own damage to whatever suits your playing style. Ally dmg to 100% should keep it respectable.

Mechanics concerning village, castle and town prosperity:
http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Prosperity

I'd contradict the last statement, actually, since the player is the most important person on the field and the most likely to turn the battle with precise strikes at the enemy forces where they are needed most. Therefore, I support playing on full damage for you and your allies to keep it fair. After all it's still your own decision but I'd feel like a cheater if I switched damage to 1/2 or 1/4.

iskar said:
I'd contradict the last statement, actually, since the player is the most important person on the field and the most likely to turn the battle with precise strikes at the enemy forces where they are needed most. Therefore, I support playing on full damage for you and your allies to keep it fair. After all it's still your own decision but I'd feel like a cheater if I switched damage to 1/2 or 1/4.
Maybe, but player is supposed to be the special one. When there are plenty of enemy elites above your ability having 1/2 doesn't matter if it allows you other roles besides the usual backrow coward-strategos-horsearcher.
Then if you feel comfortable moving to full go for it.

tl:dr Skill scales in PoP are so high that halving player damage isn't IMO that big of a deal. Unlike in realism-founded mod 1257AD or Brytenwalda, where best of the best enemies and mounts aren't that much better.

Back
Top Bottom