Movie Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Arn the Knight Templar
13th Warrior
The Lion in Winter
Northmen
Ivanhoe (the 1997 miniseries with Ciaran Hinds, Christopher Lee and James Cosmo)
Beowulf and Grendel
Black Death
Robin Hood (the one with Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman)
Ladyhawke
Ironclad
Valhalla Rising (it's slow but worth a watch at least once)
The Secret of Kells (animated, but surprisingly good)

The Obligatory:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Army of Darkness

Not "Medieval" but within the time period:
Shogun
Lone Wolf and Cub
Mongol

Jhessail said:
Sin City 2. Just as artsy-fartsy as the original. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Mickey Rourke do very good jobs with their characters. Jessica Alba tries to bring more depth into her character but that segment doesn't really work. It's obvious that Miller wrote that story only recently, for the movie, as it lacks the oomph of the other, older stories. Eva Green really hams it up as the classic Femme Fatale. Like, really really really hams it. I bet she had so much fun when filming. Action sequences are ****, so don't go see it as an action film, or you'll be heavily disappointed. But the cinematography is excellent, with the splash of colour here and there, the play between light and dark, and so on.

Is it as faithful to the original graphic novels as the first one was? Which story does it cover, except, of course, A Dame to Kill For? Having read them, I think that extreme faith to the original source was one of the best thing about Sin City 1 (which was still a quite entertaining movie!)

Antonis said:
I second the Last Valley, it's very good.

Also, it seems the time for requests, because I want to ask if you have any good Medieval movies to suggest to me. I have see many blockbuster-ish and others, but I'd like to hear some suggestions. From years 300-1500AD, anything. Thank you!

There was a whole thread of medieval films a couple of months ago. You can find a lot of stuff there.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,310228.0.html

ThegnAnsgar said:
Watched that as well. After doing some google searches, I'm beginning to believe that I've watched pretty much every movie set in the 17th century that is readily available. Guess I'll just have to re-watch things.
Cyrano de Bergerac with Gérard Dépardieu is one of my favorites. I recomend watching it in French because it's mostly in verse. The Spanish translation was pretty good though, don't know about others.
The Polish Trilogy directed by Jerzy Hoffmann adapts the work of Sienkiewicz. I've only watched the first (With fire and Sword) that was actually the last in being filmed (it's from 2001 while the others are form the 70s, they are Potop and Pan Wolodijowski) and I enjoyed it very much.
Russian film 1612. it's a little silly but I enjoyed it (specially the Spanish mercenary  :razz:)
Taras Bulba (Yul Brinner's one form the 60s, the modern Russian one is too histrionic and ultranationalistic, even if it's a closer adaptation of the novel).
Have you seen Alatriste? It's badly edited but the atmosphere is great.
Also the several adaptation of Don Quixote.
There are quite a few other Spanish movies around that period. It was the Golden Age of Spanish arts and literature, so they are mostly adaptations of comedies by Lope de Vega (titles that I remember are El perro del hortelano and La dama boba) or picaresque novels like Lazarillo de Tormes (that's more 16th century but still). Some of these are in verse. There's also Lope, about the life of Lope de Vega.
Most classic samurai movies, like Kurosawa's are around 16th-17th century too

There, ther's probably a few you haven't seen yet.

HoJu said:
Have you seen Alatriste? It's badly edited but the atmosphere is great.
Yeah, you can really tell that it's several novels squished into a single film. Otherwise it's great, though. Even the fighting is more or less historically accurate.

Thanks, Hoju for the thread an Thegn for the suggestions, I found many movies I haven't seen. And as for the 16th/17th century movies, you could try these:

1)Day of Wrath-1943(not fast or an adventure, but a masterpiece. It's about the fear and gloomy atmosphere of the witch hunt in Denmark, recommend it).
2)Harakiri-1962(Samurai, VERY good)
3)Witchfinder General-1968(also about the witch hunt, with Vincent Price, a very good movie).
4)The mission(it could have been said before, but it's a good movie, with very good actors)
5)Elisabeth(the first one, not the 2008 film)
6)Luther(with Joseph Fiennes, good one)
7)The Agony and the Ecstasy-1965(Charlton Heston, Rex Harrison, Michelangelo's-not the Turtle-  troubles while painting the Sistine Chapel)
:cool:Aguirre, the Wrath of God(Klaus Kinski as a mad person, how surprising. Good one, though)
9)Apocalypto(Mel Gibson directing, not bad, not that great, I enjoyed it)
10)Ivan Groznyy-1944(Eisenstein directing, I like it a lot. It's about Ivan the Terrible.)
11)A Man for All Seasons (1966, Thomas Moore story)

A Couple of extras
Solomon Kane(I liked it, it's fantasy, but it is based on a Bob Howard novel and it features some good actors, yuo might enjoy it)
The Monk-2011(based on the Gothic classic, I enjoy it, but it's not the best. But good.)

And...The Three Musketeers-2011(lol, I'm kidding, stay away from that :lol:)

That's pretty much all I can think of that I have seen and like(more or less). I can't say that you will enjoy everything, that's personal preference.

Just watched Mulan and Brother Bear again.

Both really good, though I think I prefer Brother Bear. It's just so beautiful in terms of story, animation, presentation and characters. Only thing it's lacking is decent music. Now, if only Netflix would get Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron:cry:

F.F.C._fritz said:
Is it as faithful to the original graphic novels as the first one was? Which story does it cover, except, of course, A Dame to Kill For? Having read them, I think that extreme faith to the original source was one of the best thing about Sin City 1 (which was still a quite entertaining movie!)
Hey, sorry I must have missed your question before.

The stories:
"Just Another Saturday Night"

Exactly as in the comic.

"The Long Bad Night"

Created for the movie. Pretty good.

"Nancy's Last Dance"

Created for the movie. Crap.

Artistically, the style is identical to the first movie.

Also, Jamie Chung was really bad as Miho - the one fight scene with Miho was really, really poorly done.

Jhessail said:
F.F.C._fritz said:
Hey, sorry I must have missed your question before.

The stories:
"Just Another Saturday Night"

Exactly as in the comic.

"The Long Bad Night"

Created for the movie. Pretty good.

"Nancy's Last Dance"

Created for the movie. Crap.

Artistically, the style is identical to the first movie.

Also, Jamie Chung was really bad as Miho - the one fight scene with Miho was really, really poorly done.

Oh, well, at least there are two original comic based stories in it. I might be still givin' it a chance, then! Thank you for your answer!

Just watched Edge of Tomorrow, and wow i was pleasantly surprised of how good it was.

And man... Emily Blunt.............. So sexy on it!

If they ever make a Mass Effect film with a FemShep it HAS to be her!  :grin:

Very good relation on how the videogame system works too, with checkpoints and all that.

That yoga pose  :shock:

Okay, I can't find my post with my favourite movies list. So once again here are my suggestions:
    • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    • Blue is the Warmest Colour
    • Interview with a Vampire
    • Perfume the Story of a Murderer
    • Excalibur 1981
    • Disney's Treasure Island
Hopefully I'll be adding some more soon.

PoisonCourtesan said:
Okay, I can't find my post with my favourite movies list. So once again here are my suggestions:
    • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    • Blue is the Warmest Colour
    • Interview with a Vampire
    • Perfume the Story of a Murderer
    • Excalibur 1981
    • Disney's Treasure Island
Hopefully I'll be adding some more soon.

I'm exactly on a 50-50 ratio in this list so far. But I'm curious to see it progressed, so please update. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom