Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CluelessWill said:
Jock said:
Are they going to introduce actual scabbards and belts for weapons on back? :eek:
Would also be nice if we could sort see how many arrows/bolts are in a quiver so we know how much a person has, and while on that subject, if there is a loaded bolt in a crossbow to show it, and if not, to show it has none. A small but very important visual aid.

We already got that in warband, kinda. If somebody have 2 javelins on their back and one in their hand that means they have a total of 3. If they would implement this feature to its fullest extent it wouldn't work visually, imagine 20 javelins or 90 arrows on some dude's back  :grin:

Jock said:
Are they going to introduce actual scabbards and belts for weapons on back? :eek:
I personally hope not. Carrying your weapon on your back might have been practical when travelling but much less so during a battle. The whole "blade on back" thing is really something of a Hollywood myth, perpetuated in fantasy comic books and games. It takes infinitely longer to draw a blade over your shoulder than it does to draw it from your hip. Worst of all would be to sheathe the sword again: can you imagine how highly impractical it must be to slide your blade into this tight scabbard on your back?

This goes for arrows as well. Very few archers in history kept their quivers on their backs; only when on the march it was deemed safe to carry them where they were incredibly difficult to reach. Most kept their arrows near to their hip, e.g. bound to their belt. Not only was this infinitely better for instant access, but they could also instantly see how many arrows or bolts they had left. An archer who wanted to count the arrows in his quiver on his back had to go through them with both hands, manually counting the arrows one by one.

If weapon A is long and weapon B is short, where should I put weapon A while I use weapon B? Is it handier to have it on my back, suspended from a baldric, or on the ground somewhere near where I was a while ago? I'd say it depends on what the weapon is, but certainly there's evidence that it was practical to hang some weapons from the back. Shields were also suspended on the back, despite being useful in combat and potentially more difficult to retrieve from that position. I expect M&B has that about right. Some mods have it so you can't sheath pikes or lances, but it's probably not a good idea for native.

I think a lot of cultures would have the quiver attached to the horse, rather than the archer, which is a lot more practical unless the archer falls off the horse. If a foot archer is to put their arrows in the ground when they reach their position, it would make little difference where they're held before that.

The equipment of most eastern heavy cavalrymen in the medieval era consisted of sword(or mace), lance, bow/arrows, and shield.
The 4 slot system in M&B is pretty balanced for gameplay, but yes, another slot for a horseman would be realistic.

Rallix said:
The equipment of most eastern heavy cavalrymen in the medieval era consisted of sword(or mace), lance, bow/arrows, and shield.
The 4 slot system in M&B is pretty balanced for gameplay, but yes, another slot for a horseman would be realistic.

Maybe have a missile weapon slot where bows, crossbows and their ammo all go, along with throwing weapons. The missile weapon slot can stack up to 3 missile ammo items just like Native now, at the cost of disabling up to 3 melee weapon slots.

However, this would limit you to one kind of missile weapon, but who uses both a bow and a crossbow with no melee backup?

I'm not sure that I understand the suggestion, but I have the indignity to respond that I know someone who's run with bow and throwing axes.

Speaking of ammunition, it would be nice if an archer could choose switch between ammunition types with a hotkey. Also, since only player characters pick up ammunition, would it be so prodigal of resources to track the type of ammunition that's picked up, rather than converting arrows to bodkin arrows if they're put in a bodkin quiver?

Rallix said:

Maybe horse could carry another weapon, and you're able to select it by scrolling your mouse and/or, the horse is like a "little inventory" where we could find arrows/throwing knives, sword...

I think an extra slot for weapons is realistic, not only for ammunition. After all you get the ingumbrance penalty. Definitely extra slots for the cavalry men, more ammunition and more inventory possibilities. Also there should be a distinction between objects of different dimensions. Carrying a pike can't take you the space of a dagger ....  Horses (or other animals, hopefully,) should be part of a "party" inventory and their number should influence the capability of your personal inventory .... Carrying a some of goods in the campaign map from town to town should be difficult and limited, without some sort of animals to carry them around....     

I think we've already seen all the equipment slots we're getting, but yes, those are assuredly some extras that would be welcome.

PTWarrior said:
Bannerlord_07.jpg
If you look to the house on the right you can see it's interior so it might be an enterable house.

Back on that topic, I was just reminded of this screenshot:

BannerlordArtwork_23.jpg

Which has shutters on houses that open and close, as we will be able to do with shutters on crenellated walls. I'm convinced that the mechanic is deliberately being shown there and there wouldn't be a lot of point to it in this context if the houses were unenterable.

Jason L. said:
I think an extra slot for weapons is realistic

How the hell would it be realistic though? Say we had 6 weapon slots instead of 4 and I chose to carry a 2-handed sword in each slot, now since 2-handed swords tend to be on the back while sheathed, it would mean I would go around with 6 swords on my back. How is that any more realistic than if I'd go around with 4?

Please read carefully before posting. So, to you, it is realistic that if you carry a spear, bow, arrows, and shield you can't afford a dagger or a knife. I said something about different dimensions of objects, that you didn't notice and about ingumbrance also. Thanks in advance for your jentile attention .....

Meevar the Mighty said:
BannerlordArtwork_23.jpg
Which has shutters on houses that open and close, as we will be able to do with shutters on crenellated walls. I'm convinced that the mechanic is deliberately being shown there and there wouldn't be a lot of point to it in this context if the houses were unenterable.
Don't forget that it shows some amazing rain as well.

Lumos said:
Meevar the Mighty said:
BannerlordArtwork_23.jpg
Don't forget that it shows some amazing rain as well.
And the rain gets stopped by the roofs.

Hopefully we'll be able to swim in M&B2. I just hate walking on the bottom of a lake.
I suggest a stamina system for swimming at least. the heavier equipment one carries, the slower he/she swims or runs out of stamina..and drowns? Not sure how it should be done with horses tho'.

Jason L. said:
I said something about different dimensions of objects, that you didn't notice and about ingumbrance also. Thanks in advance for your jentile attention .....

So you mean there would be more than 4 weapon slots and each would be for a different weapon size. So now if I wanted to carry two 2-handed swords (would be perfectly fine IRL) I couldn't, because the size restrictions for each slot would limit me to only carrying one 2-handed sword, how would that still be more realistic?

Encumbrance simply wouldn't make up for extra weapon slots either, because the encumbrance system is solely based on weight. In real life, a dagger would hardly add on any noticeable weight, however it still could get in your way when you're doing stuff.

VonTawast said:
Jason L. said:
I said something about different dimensions of objects, that you didn't notice and about ingumbrance also. Thanks in advance for your jentile attention .....

So you mean there would be more than 4 weapon slots and each would be for a different weapon size. So now if I wanted to carry two 2-handed swords (would be perfectly fine IRL) I couldn't, because the size restrictions for each slot would limit me to only carrying one 2-handed sword, how would that still be more realistic?

Encumbrance simply wouldn't make up for extra weapon slots either, because the encumbrance system is solely based on weight. In real life, a dagger would hardly add on any noticeable weight, however it still could get in your way when you're doing stuff.

But what kind of idiot would carry two different 2 handed swords

RyanCol said:
VonTawast said:
Jason L. said:

Carrying them wouldn't necessary mean using them.

momcilo94 said:
RyanCol said:
VonTawast said:
Jason L. said:

Carrying them wouldn't necessary mean using them.

I see, carrying twohanded swords as jewelry, yes? Swords have a tendency to shine.

RyanCol said:
VonTawast said:
Jason L. said:

A Witcher, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom