Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He most likely means they dont joust with a fence to seperate them and joust traditionally at each other its a couched lance fest and when if you get dismounted the only weapons you have to second from lance is your fists and deadly kicks.
Also give us more features to sieges please i think a siege tower is awesome but also stuff like a battering ram of course this would mean stronger inner gates. Keep the cheatmenu if possible my god it helps with mod testing..
Ill be happy to see previws when its announced. Of new info.

Jousts wouldn't even really be that fun. You ride towards someone then one of you gets whacked with a lance. You can do that any day in combat, at least tournaments attempt to do something different.

It's all about context. If jousting helps me get into one of the lady's skirt, then  it's no too shabby....

With tighter hitboxes (especially on shields!) and reworked lance & shield mechanics (such as being able to block while the lance is couched), a jousting tournament could be fun.
But with the mechanics of Warband, I can appreciate why we have arena fights instead.

I hope they remove random effects in the combat, for instance blunt knock down, crossbows penetrating shields etc... I am fine with these mechanics in principle I just don't like the fact that its based on a random number generator. Makes using them come down to luck as opposed to skill.

As a suggestion, I could see mace knock down happen when you do a held strike on someone's legs. Make it something deliberate and counter-able so its not overpowered but let it be non-random.

I always wondered why no one fights in formations in this game. Maybe it's the game mechanics which is not allowing this? Always wanted to experience that "elbow to elbow" formation fighting: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,93706.0.html

Tork789 said:
I always wondered why no one fights in formations in this game. Maybe it's the game mechanics which is not allowing this? Always wanted to experience that "elbow to elbow" formation fighting: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,93706.0.html

Because formations only really work when you have at least hundreds of people on the battlefield..
In Warband its just small skirmishes. Especially in competitive Warband where they matches will usually not exceed an 8-a-side match. You can't shield wall in an 30-a-side effectively let alone 8.

You need at least over 50 men per side in order for formations to be of worth.

With too few troops it's just a skirmish, and thus formations actually hamper cohesiveness more than they help.

Small competitive matches call for small-scale mixed unit tactics.

Even if it was 50 a side, the game mechanics doesn't lend itself to fighting in shieldwalls.

1. The second rank doesn't provide enough support. It's almost useless.
2. speed of movement is so high that formations are easily flanked.
3. Shields only protect you. Interlocking shields IRL protect you and the guy to your left (his right side/ sword hand.) In Warband, it's just you.

I'm sure there are other reasons. The simple fact is, the variables that made formations, not just viable, but preferred IRL, are simply lacking in Warband.

Lord Rich said:
As a suggestion, I could see mace knock down happen when you do a held strike on someone's legs. Make it something deliberate and counter-able so its not overpowered but let it be non-random.
This would make it even more overpowered! Everyone would just hold a swing at the legs with blunt weapons and get a free kill!  :roll:

Another good implementation would be a more complex political system and ranks, so a noble can be a marquis, for example or a count, and then people would be more prone to collaborate with you if you're of higher rank ( I can't imagine a drunk man being rude to a king, or a lower noble from another faction attacking him)

Yabloko said:
Another good implementation would be a more complex political system and ranks, so a noble can be a marquis, for example or a count, and then people would be more prone to collaborate with you if you're of higher rank ( I can't imagine a drunk man being rude to a king, or a lower noble from another faction attacking him)
Good idea, there should be a feudal ladder rather than a king and his direct vassals, i.e. the lord of a village being vassal to the lord of the castle, and this one being vassal to the lord of the town, finaly, this one is direct vassal of the king (makes me remember of CK2). You could work to progress in the ranks. Could work well.

About the ranks and elbow-to-elbow talking: Guys, this is not Warband! This is not the same change from MBVanilla to Warband!
Can't you imagine what surprises are coming? Never did you play the dreambeta? :lol:
Anyone interested about seeing the idea in my signature? :roll:

Tork789 said:
The only thing I know, is that my men only form a horizontal line. :sad:

Lord Rich said:
I hope they remove random effects in the combat, for instance blunt knock down, crossbows penetrating shields etc... I am fine with these mechanics in principle I just don't like the fact that its based on a random number generator. Makes using them come down to luck as opposed to skill.

I think the argument of randomness is interesting. Personally I think it's only a problem if the game can be pushed to a point where everything hangs on a diceroll. e.g. in WoW pvp where you have critical hits occuring randomly with probabilities based on gear and/or talents etc. The way randomness can work there is "if you get the right rolls you will win, if you don't your opponent will win". It gets a lot more complicated than that because you have factors like teamwork and there is a reasonable scope for decision making and other actions that can allow for someone to "outplay" someone else. So maybe not the best example anyway.

As for warband, I just think it's hardly an issue at all when you factor in the context of any of the random factors. It's perfectly possible to know if and when your shield might be penetrated and even what chance there is of it happening. I feel like it allows for players to make calculated risks and more interesting trade offs Instead of just buying a shield so it won't get penetrated, you're buying a shield so there's less of a chance of it being penetrated, or removing a chance. It's much harder to make a judgement about the value of that difference and therefore how much the tradeoff is worth for buying another weapon. In turn that difficulty provides the enemy crossbow users with difficulty about which crossbow to buy, since there's no sure fire way to tell which shields their opponents will be taking. This leads to extra meta elements like knowing the opposition players and their preferences, understanding how they might react to the maps and factions being used and even how they might react to you as a their opponent. All of this can be used to gain an advantage through the meta game. A lot of it would still exist even without random elements but many interesting subtleties would be lost in my opinion.

There's also the classic arguments (which are completely valid in my opinion) which refer to games like poker that have huge random elements but are undeniably massively skillful and nuanced. I read this a while ago and it made me something of a convert when it comes to randomness: http://playthisthing.com/randomness-blight-or-bane

One key point that convinced me was thinking about games like counter strike where, if you're firing bullets while moving or if you're firing continuously, the shots scatter in an increasingly random way. To an extent, it's predictable and professional players will know how to adjust for it but as the recoil increases, it reaches a point where realistically being able to account for it with any degree of genuine intent becomes borderline impossible. This doesn't take place much in a professional environment because players will fire in short bursts or to the point where they can reasonably account for the recoil. However the nature of that limitation (to avoid randomness) is directly comparable to warband in my opinion. A player could always take impenetrable shields, or always seek to avoid certain weapons in melee (admittedly, the comparison is less direct for things like blunt knockdown and crushing through blocks) in the same way that counterstrike players don't spray and pray. Though there would still be that potential to achieve higher - saving money and using it elsewhere or fighting a blunt user in melee - to get an advantage despite the risks. That has the potential for interesting gameplay that doesn't necessarily have to harm competitivity in my eyes. I'm not saying that warband has it perfect or even anything close to that but I just don't necessarily agree with the view that "any random = always bad".

Is a bolt penetrating a shield a random chance?

I was under the impression that it was likely to happen if the opponent had a tier 1-2 shield, and the ranged unit had a heavy or siege crossbow with steel bolts, and the opponent was moving towards the ranged unit.

These are very specific, controllable scenarios.

One-handed maces seem to knockdown randomly, depending on the hold that is used. Because it is a random chance, the weapon is rarely used in competitions. If you want to knockdown an opponent, you use a hammer or a horse. I'm not really sure blunt 1-handers have a place in the game outside of taking prisoners in single player.

The amount of luck in Warband is incredibly small. Not everything comes to skill, but most things can be explained by mistakes controlling the character, situational awareness, and latency. Once or twice a week something happen that is unexplainable, and usually it is chalked up to the server ****ting itself.

I would not appreciate warband as much as I do if more situations were a result of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom