Mod help request SOLVED

Users who are viewing this thread

B15hop

Recruit
Hello everyone,

New here but I am thoroughly amazed at the work you all have done with this game. Back in the day I would spend months of my time modding games as well so I decided to take a crack at this one and do something I thought would be simple..lol.. Well it didn't quite work out.
All I wanted to do was make the flying arrow mesh look like an actual arrow, have a very far LOD range so I could see it fly and make it look about twice the normal arrow size or perhaps just thicker so it would be easier to see.
I assumed I would be able to easily modify the Arrow_Flying mesh which looks like a stick but I spent the last couple days, for hours on end banging my head into a wall trying to figure it out. lol
I downloaded all kinds of tools and tried my hand and failed miserably. lol.. Is there anyone here who would mind helping me out with this?
I would love to learn how to do it myself but at this point I would be infinitely happy if someone just helped me out and made one.
Hopefully it wouldn't conflict with the perfect fire arrows mod as I absolutely love that one.
Thank you all for all of your effort. I sincerely appreciate it.
I'd be glad to shoot you a donation for it. Thank you again. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
It's actually quite simple. Take a look at the Module System to see how an item entry for an arrow looks like:
Code:
 ["tutorial_arrows","Arrows", [("arrow",0),("flying_missile",ixmesh_flying_ammo),("quiver", ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_arrows, itcf_carry_quiver_back, 0,weight(3)|abundance(160)|weapon_length(95)|thrust_damage(0,pierce)|max_ammo(20),imodbits_missile],
You can see that there is a flag called ixmesh_flying_ammo which determines which mesh gets used for the flying missile. Simply replace that one with the normal mesh of the arrow and you are done.
In case you are not using the Module System for modding, you should still be able to see such entry at Morgh's Editor and do the same.
It's actually quite simple. Take a look at the Module System to see how an item entry for an arrow looks like:
Code:
 ["tutorial_arrows","Arrows", [("arrow",0),("flying_missile",ixmesh_flying_ammo),("quiver", ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_arrows, itcf_carry_quiver_back, 0,weight(3)|abundance(160)|weapon_length(95)|thrust_damage(0,pierce)|max_ammo(20),imodbits_missile],
You can see that there is a flag called ixmesh_flying_ammo which determines which mesh gets used for the flying missile. Simply replace that one with the normal mesh of the arrow and you are done.
In case you are not using the Module System for modding, you should still be able to see such entry at Morgh's Editor and do the same.

Upvote 0
Solution
Code:
Thank you for the reply. :smile:
I did actually get that far but what I found out was that while using the Realistic battle mod with the better looking arrows option enabled, that even when I uninstalled the mod and the game and deleted the game files, the mesh for arrows would be stuck on the better arrows mod mesh. Tiny arrows that disappear almost instantly.

However just changing the file name for the mesh to another arrow type, still leaves me with the LOD issue where the arrows disappear from sight almost instantly. I'd like to see them travel further and also be about twice as big, to make them more visible.
What really was making me crazy was tryign to figure out why when I changed the name of the flying arrow mesh to another mesh, the mesh remained the same.. But it was the uninstalled mod that caused that. I still can't figure out how to fix that. I have to leave the mod enabled to stop it from using those tiny arrows.

I still am not sure how to make the arrows visible for longer distances though.
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate you trying to help. :smile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you create your own mod (by copy pasting and renaming the mod folder which you want to edit), you can simply search (via OpenBRF) through the resource files, look up the arrows and delete the lods of the arrow meshes :wink:
Interesting. And that would make them visible for longer as they fly through the air?
Thank you.

Upvote 0
use openbrf to find the arrow mesh (ctrl + f), and then use the scale tool for lods
OK, I am using openBRF but having a heck of a time locating the files.
I should do File/Open correct? Or should I import or change some directory setting? I can't find any brf files anywhere in the M&B directory..lol
Should I of installed openBRF to the same directory as M&B or something?
Ijust want to keep it simple and modify the existing arrow_roman file if possible.
I feel like I'm asking dumb questions. Sorry.
But thank you for the help, sincerely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, I am using openBRF but having a heck of a time locating the files.
I should do File/Open correct? Or should I import or change some directory setting? I can't find any brf files anywhere in the M&B directory..lol
Should I of installed openBRF to the same directory as M&B or something?
Ijust want to keep it simple and modify the existing arrow_roman file if possible.
I feel like I'm asking dumb questions. Sorry.
But thank you for the help, sincerely.

Go to module, find the mod you want to play? Enter the mod? Then find resource folder? Its in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom