Mediterranean landscapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Al_Mansur

Grandmaster Knight
I benefited of the topic about scenes to point out one of the main problem of the mod: the lack of a Mediterranean type of landscape. This is a big problem because almost the third of the map needs it, therefore its absence undermines the realism of the mod.

Here a map of the different types of climates in the world. In red is the Meditterranean climate:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Climats_dans_le_Monde.svg
You can see how important it is for the mod.

Some of the trees and other flora models already in the mod can fit with these areas, but there is no really Meditteranean flora for the moment.
To my eyes, the most important plants we need are:
The Olive tree:
olivier.jpg
The Cupressus:
chenes%20et%20cypres.jpg
The Opuntia ficus-indica (which often grow on steep places):
med-figuier-de-barbarie-a-toulon-visoflora-5246.jpg
There are also several types of pines different of the high northern ones, a lot of small trees like Mimosa, many palms and cactus, etc.

The ground is most of the time rocky, and often ruggy. Grass has difficulty to grow, and there is a lot of dry bushes.

It would not be that hard to make, but I think it is necessary to make some of the plants I mentionned, otherwise it would not look really Meditteranean. If I remember correctly, these areas were particularly well done in Medieval 2 Total War. I suggest to take a look at how they did it. I can provide photos if you want.  :wink:

Yeah, ntb_15 did splendid work with them. The beeche texture is problem from the mod side. I'll fix it later on.

I'll try to play a bit and see what I can come up with. I'll post the screenies here.
Photos from the MTW would not hurt either.

lol, Othr you must forgive,but Thomas you did some splendid work on the mod,i am in love with the sand storm :razz: is there a way to do that with snow and rain? btw did you asign the desert terain borders to Acre scene?or is the error on my end,in gutek borders,desert scene has no border

Rain and snow is integrated into the game engine, so there's a seperate "slider" for them. But if were talking about "storms". I guess I could try doing the same with general storms and blizzards as well.

I didin't touch the scene code for acre. I believe I only changed Isle of man castle scene borders to sea one.

DrTomas said:
Rain and snow is integrated into the game engine, so there's a seperate "slider" for them. But if were talking about "storms". I guess I could try doing the same with general storms and blizzards as well.

I didin't touch the scene code for acre. I believe I only changed Isle of man castle scene borders to sea one.
ok,so its my error

New military props ?
Personnally I would like to remake the French siege scene with my new props, because the old ones it uses currently are horrible.

Al_Mansur said:
New military props ?
Personnally I would like to remake the French siege scene with my new props, because the old ones it uses currently are horrible.
i have made some props for Outremer,but i can use them in 1257 too :cool: i am not good in modeling,but new props for levant are needed

Hmm, I like the current acre siege scene. The only problem i saw with that scene is that native texture of the props used in that scene are a little too yellowish saturated.
But we also need a custom Jerusalem scene  :razz:.

Btw Al_mansur, the new french props are simply awesome. Especially that gatehouse  :eek:.

On topic, yeah i agree, the mod really needs a Mediterranean type landscape. Since terrain types are limited by the engine, i think that we can sacrifice the steppe terrain type, and add a Mediterranean type in its place, because the steppe terrain type is hardly used in the mod anymore. So then we would have,
snow terrain for scandinavia and rus,
northern europian terrain for balts, northern france, germania, britain etc,
southern european terrain (meditaranean) for iberia, italy, greece and anatolia
and desserts.

Yeah. I'm doing it based on Steppes terrain right now(great minds thing alike, no?  :mrgreen: ). Actualy, if it goes as planed, there might no need to sacrafice the Russian stepes either. Or change the terrain of the campaign map itself.

So far Meditterranean looks like this. Do they look anything like they supposed to?
mb42s.jpg

Steppes - are just that, big field of nothing. Actualy untill now the game would generate forest like steppes.
mb44.jpg

the mountain maps imo need attention before anything.  My battles in the southern alps have been almost exclusively fought against forces i cant even get to by foot whatsoever. not to mention the armies of caravans that keep getting stuck along the mountains on the world map that never move.

nice work tho, sry if this is a derail.

DrTomas said:
Steppes - are just that, big field of nothing. Actualy untill now the game would generate forest like steppes.
mb44.jpg

Wow, awesome work again. That looks like an infantry killer. Can you add scenes like that for the normal european terrain as well.
You just fixed the one problem i always had with the battlefields with warband, that they were always either hilly or full of trees. There were never any proper plains in battlefields. I always wanted the battlefield like the one above, like in medieval 2 total war.

Thanks

So again mediterranean. Did not change much. Added ntb desert trees. As you can see they also change in size. I need to know if theres something I should add/tweek.
mb48.jpg

mb49.jpg

I also added a second variation of it with pine trees, that supose to fit the region. But they look kinda strange to me, what do you think?
mb50.jpg

Sadly we will need to repaint the campaign map with steppe terrain on it. I missunderstood orignaly how the engine terrain generator works. I'll do it later on as I kinda burned out, I've been working on the mod like maniac for the last week or so.

Regarding the fields for european terrain - I can try doing it. For steppe its very easy. Just level the terrain with no trees and there you go - steppe. European would probably have more bushes and stuff in it. Same thing goes to mountains - it requires someone to hand craft them properly as the engine makes only wacky mountain terrain. I'm not going to touch the mountains, atleast not anytime soon, so I need a serf for it.  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom