map editor for 892

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amman d Stazia

Master Knight
welcome aboard.  Hope it will be a long time before any arseholes find this...

the story so far (less graphics and spam)

We still don't have a decent Napoleonic mod. This must change. Therefore I propose:

The Peninsular War

The year is 1811 and Napoleon, extending his continental system throughout mainland Europe in order to strangle British trade has seized Spain and gone on to take control of the whole of the Iberian peninsular, setting up his own brother, Joseph as king of Spain. This is a disaster for the British, who have lost their only foothold on the continent. Now, after several years of campaigns , the British have retreated behind the lines of Torres Vedras in Portugal. The French wait, eager to retake Portugal, and end the annoyance that is: The Peninsular war.

Units available at the moment..

British
The 24th, (fictional, roughly based on the 28th in terms of uniform)

Centre company officer

Centre company private

Light company sergeant

Royal Foot Artillery crewman

The 95th

Officer

Private

French

The 21st

Centre company officer

Fusilier

Grenadier

So yes, I'm hoping I can attract a few other modders to this cause... didn't you say you were in a Napoleonic mood at one point Highlander? 
Stuff I'd like to get in
-Animations, I've already done a new musket reload (which many of you may have seen in that PN vid) I've also done some new melee musket animations and I hope to do some other things which'll give it more of a period feel.
-The whole morale and formation codes.. possibly the main thing which makes a Napoleonic mod possible and exciting at the moment.. and the prospect of possible having light, line and heavy infantry operating as seperate units rather than all being lumped together under "archer"

Anyway, my first thought is possibly creating something akin to the custom battle mod to begin with... just to test out some ideas and get models ingame.

STUFF NEEDED

-I'm really no scripter... not at all, not an ounce. I've done all my testing of rigging and suchlike with the custom item editor.. so anyone who can help with the basic stuff would be much appreciated.. Highlander is doing a cracking job with the advanced stuff

-Fellow modelers! I've got uniforms covered and hope to cover some weapons (fingers crossed.. swords at least I know I can do) but it'd be great to get a large variety of weapons from this era nocking about.. also scene props buildings.. and possibly fortresses... eventually. I'll focus on having troops running about first.

- A map.. Hussey has offered me a map of the peninsular, I'm debating wether I should focus the action on a much smaller area (initially at least) any ideas or suggestions here would be good... a small detailed section with specific objectives for both French and British players would be ideal..

--------------------------------------------------

Dude! Those uniforms are superb!
Did you really model the straps as separate or does it just look that way? I can already tell this will be one of my favorite mods! 

Also, it's nice to see something that looks like it's going to be a troop upgrade system based on ranks. Always wanted to see that.
---------------------------------------------------
I was and I still am. Unfortunately I underestimated the number of models needed. I'm happy that you started this mod.
If there is any small-medium constribution, I could do, tell me. Since my models won't reach the quality of yours, I can screw that.
I'm just not up for being the main scripter, that's too much for me right now.
Mirathei made a artillery script recently. Have you checked it out? I haven't. If it works well, you could use it, otherwise I would volunteer to make a large-scale artillery thing for you.
Edit: I just made a pretty good, complex and realistic physics system for a baseball mod (), which could easily be used as a base for that.
--------------------------------------------------------
As with wild west, I'm interested too - I can help you out with sounds and a few models that can be used with 1866 too if you'd like. Great uniforms though.
-------------------------------------------------------
Well, if I can stay away from CoD4 and get back to coding, you can definitely have the formation scripts when I finish.  I am thinking about posting the work I have already in a thread in the forge, so serious modders can look at my ideas and make suggestions, or make their own multiple formation scripts since I am going way too slow and it will be winter by the time it is finished at the pace I am going now.  I would do this basically just so my ideas would get out their and better coders can use my ideas to make a better system if they so choose (I am still going to work on my version though).
--------------------------------------------
Far more historically correct would be German troops of the Grand Duchy of Berg fighting on the French side.

From 1809 on two squadrons of the Cevau-légeres fought in Spain, attached to the Imperial Guard in Madrid. They remained with the Guard throughout their stay in Spain.

The 1st and the 2nd Infantry Regiment went to Spain in 1809, too. They served in the Siege of Gerona and returned to Germany in 1811.
In 1810, the 3rd Infantry Regiment was sent to Spain and stayed there till 1813.

Well, I would love to see some troops of the Duchy in this mod ... 
-----------------------------------------------------
Given that they look to be a fairly simple reskin of the standard French uniform, who knows.. but I do want to get my basic troops sorted out first. Next on my agenda are French officers and from there onto a few basic cavalry types I think. After that I'll need to think about weapons and getting all those models ingame and hopefull releasing some kind of basic beta. After that.. we'll see.

That's the plan anyway.
-----------------------------------------------
Amazing models, there!

The Napoleonic Wars are actually my favorite period of history, and am always excited/let down by attempts to bring the era to the gaming world.  There's a lot of good mods that deal with Napoleon but not a lot of good games. 

I would like to offer my services to you, but I don't know how much help I can be.  I can provide sounds for artillery, troop sounds, and so forth.

I could also offer to make a start-up screen for you (which is something I really enjoy doing).  You can view an example of my work here:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,40938.0.html

Other than that, good luck with the mod.  Hope it goes well.
---------------------------------------------------------
Good work, although the gorget is a bit deformed. Also the coat looks too long compared with this plate:

Officer's coats were generally shorter than that of the ordinary ranks.
---------------------------------------------------------------
no pics of the Brits. (Artillery)

French Line Artillery: 4pdr. gun (not the most useful picture, I know):

French Guard Artillery: 12pdr. gun (of the Old Guard, BTW):

Hope that helps. I'll try to find more, if needed.

EDIT:

Le système Gribeauval:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/systeman/c_systeman.html
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/minismodels/technique/doc_artillerie/gribeauval01.htm

The System An XI Guns:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/systeman/c_systeman3.html
--------------------------------------------------------------
I think Highlander, that a 6 pounder would be appropriate for the size of battles we're dealing with
------------------------------------------
This is just a very early WIP. There will be a lot more detail. I just wanted to know, is it about the type of cannon you mean?

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:35:33 pm by Highlander » 

So far the model is great!

But IMO the texture of the gun barrel looks too pale.

EDIT (sorry, in German):

Highlander, in der Realität würde die Lafette beim ersten Schuss auseinanderfallen. Die beiden Seitenteile der Lafette müssten an zwei Stellen noch miteinander verbunden werden, siehe Markierungen in der Zeichnung unten:

Depends what you'd like to do... I was going to do those basic weapons myself, but of course wouldn't mind too much if someone else did them. Militaryheratige.com (or something along those lines) has some great ref pictures. What I was going to do was

India pattern brown bess musket
British infantry rifle (now known as the baker rifle)
Charleville 1777 pattern musket

Of course if you're thinking more of civillian rifles there's a hell of a lot of variation there and not so many ref pics that I'm aware of... lots of ref pics of the various flintlock pistols used by people though. 

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:59:47 pm by Dain Ironfoot 

Dain, are you sure you won't use the helmets Stefano made for PN? Hope you think about it again.
And what do you plan to put in the first release? Rather a early release or a late one?

There has been some progress on the artillery. The battle scripts are about to be done. What's left is putting some soldiers next to the cannons who 'use' them and the free map stuff like restricting the firing according to the supply of ammunition, gun powder and stuff. I'll send you a preview of all the artillery changes soon
---------------------------------------------------------
, it actually looks even better in motion. Turned out better than I expected.
Barry_bon_Loyale PMed me some cannon sounds which really add to the atmosphere. Together with blow back animations it looks pretty good and from my testing the gameplay is quite good too (This was the last time those crossbowmen use their hold this position tactic ).

Some more things I'd need to know:
Cannon values: How frequently and how fast do these 6-pdr cannons shoot? Currently I use at most 2 shots a minute and about 50 mps.
Weapon reach is not important, there is no situation where the cannons have to shoot more than 300 metres long, which such a cannon easily passes, right?
Howitzers: Used in the PW? If so, in field battles as well?
Ammunition: Have there been only round shots or case-shots and maybe explosive ammunition for howitzers?
Sorry about my lag of knownledge there
-------------------------------------------------------
- The French used howitzers in Spain.

French Line Artillery batteries consisted of 8 cannons: 6 guns and 2 howitzers.
  Horse Artillery batteries usually had 6 cannons: 4 guns (6-pdr.) and 2 howitzers.

In the battlefield several batteries could form a grand battery (sometimes of more than 100 guns) to achieve devastating fire power.

- Ammunition: the whole range of deadly BS - round shots, case-shots, canister shots, grenades.

- Fire rate: 2 or 3 shots per minute for a 6-pdr. would be realistic. Well-trained gun crews could achieve a quite surprisingly high rate of fire, some eye witnesses reported up to 8 shots per minute - but maybe that are cock-and-bull stories.

- Range will be no problem.

More info: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/artillery_tactics.htm

French artillery: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/artillery_Napoleon.html

British artillery: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/British_artillery.htm

Those look brilliant Highlander! Interesting how you added the artillery to the battlefield commands... I'm still vaguely wondering if it's possible to have troops divided into light and line still with the new tactics kit..  I'd love to have Light, Line and heavy as seperate commandable units.. 2 units of cavalry would be lovely too and would allow a lot of tactics..

I'll think about Stephano's helmets, and ask him possibly. The tartleton will mainly be for officers now anyway.. but I'm just having something of a streak of wanting to try modeling things. That'll probably fall off once I hit the slog of gun modeling and texturing (something I've never really done before) the fact that I seem to have lost my memory stick full of reference pictures will probably kill my modeling passion too..

I'd love to release early if possible.. but there's still a lot of work to do, especially in terms of weapons models.

With the cannon ammunition lets keep it simple with either canister or roundshot. If the gameplay is good, we'll stick to historic values. But if the AI marches straight up only to be decimated by our

EDIT: Ha, found my memory stick, back to work
-------------------------------------
(omitted some posts which were repeats of previous)
-----------------------------------------
I'll do the less famous stuff if you'd like - it gives me a bit of freedom in making it easier as I don't have to be as accurate.

Flintlock - (by Buxton)
-----------------------------------
are all the uniforms going to be "parade" type, or are you going to do some of them in campaign dress to?

mabye someone in brown pants? or realy dirty white ones to make it look like they have been in the field for a long time?

they uniforms  you have made so far is fantastic work by the way
-A valid point from Gunfreak!!!!!
Artillery is nearly done, by the way. What's left is to fix a small problem with the aiming, the positioning of the foot gunners and some minor things like stealing guns after battle.

Howitzers in the foreground, cannons in the background.
Looks great!

Concerning the gunners: Will they actually fight during the battle like infantry when they are attacked? Or will they just be some kind of scene props?
---------------
Normal troops that stand near the cannon doing nothing, but they will shoot when there are enemies near them.
-----------------
That's perfect and will add some spice to the battles!

Another question: Can the enemy artillery be destroyed/silenced during battle? Or will they continue firing till the end even after all gunners are killed
-----------------------------
Just shoot the gunners and the cannons will be unable to fire. The problem is that the AI is too stupid and usually leaves the cannons    unprotected behind. Those cannons have no chance against a small group of cavalry.
-----------------------------
looks like you guys don't need much advice/information, you know your stuff...

I might suggest though, that for the map area, and for unit variety, to look at the 1808/09 Salamanca/Corunna campaign?
That would allow the involvement of Imperial Guard units, as well as the quainter old-style Spanish uniforms & troops, while the Brits had all sorts represented in this campaign.

Whoever suggested the French Chasseur a Pied have rifles was wrong, Napoleon ordered them withdrawn several years earlier (03 or 04, I think)..

As far as cannons are concerned:  I've noticed that enemy AI always follow enemy heroes/lords.  Do you think that making cannons 'heroes' would lead to enemy AI sticking closer to them?

Also, (treading lightly, oh so lightly) can I tentatively point out that under native conditions, any unit will swiftly become a raggle-taggle of all possible unit types and ranks?

It would be a bit unpleasant to besiege a supposedly French-held fortress, and find that half the garrison was highlanders and riflemen!

Just my tuppeny worth.  If you want, I am happy to offer historical notes for this mod.  I am pretty clued up on the pen. campaigns, including obviously the Corunna one I suggested just now.  Don't ask me to texture or script, your stuff is way better.  On top of which my time is limited...
------------------------------------
As far as unit trees are concerned, it's going to be a fairly linear progression. You wont see light companies becoming riflemen, or line infantry from the 28th becoming Highlanders. With the sergeants and other NCOs it's simply going to be a choice between that or simply becoming a veteran version of the original unit. In other words it's mainly an aesthetic thing. We don't want armies of sergeants. There wont be any neutrals, so there'll be no situation where the French could rescue British troops. This certainly wont be a native reskin.

I'd rather stick with my current time period for various reasons in terms of gameplay and my uniforms (I'd have to redo my French uniforms. It's fairly ahistorical for them to have these particular uniforms already, so I may shift the time period a year forward anyway) but advice on where'd be a particularly exciting/empty (more freedom) place to set the mod would be most welcome.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:32:24 pm by Dain Ironfoot 

------------------------------------------------
I've thought of something else I need a little on, French Ranks.. sous-officier and caporaux are sergeant and corporal equivilent I'm guessing... is there a NCO rank before that? The French striping system confuses me somewhat. I can see that a sergeant simply has a band by his cuff, while a corporal has a red chevron..

Here is an early thought on the British troop tree. If by separating the light, line and heavy companies we can do something cool with multiple formations, I'll seperate them. As I said above, NCOs are mainly an aesthetic thing. Don't want an army of sergeants.

----------------------------------
This should get you going on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_in_the_French_Army.

Good luck on this awesome piece of work!
Highlander says they can shoot, so some will be armed with muskets... others possibly with rammers and other bits of kit.. I still know little about how artillery works myself and so my plans are all only temporary y'understand. I'll have to work out how to get officers in there too..(if I can, otherwise Arty officer uniform will be player only)
---------------------------------------
Allright, uploading the preview.
I'll rather post the explanation of the system here, so that other people can make suggestions as well.
Okay let's start right away:

In your army you have an artillery commander, who administrates the guns and ammunition. By talking to him, you can access the army's magazine and put your cannon items there (you can buy them at the weapon merchant). Besides that you have to give him ammunition (gunpowder and cannonballs). You lose ammunition with every shot, so you have to keep buying new ammo.

What you also need are foot gunners, who shoot the cannons. In the preview you can get some of them by talking to the commander (for testing).

In battle then, you have to order your cannons to shoot via backspace menu.

Be warned that cannons are completely ineffective in MaB's extremely hilly terrains, so you should test in flat ones. There are also some bugs, but I think you should get an idea of how the system works. Don't expect a perfect mod, it's just a preview.

Gonna pm you the link now
As far as cannons are concerned:  I've noticed that enemy AI always follow enemy heroes/lords.  Do you think that making cannons 'heroes' would lead to enemy AI sticking closer to them?

Looking at the code, they follow the averange position of all enemies, I think. However, I don't think artillery should be too overrated. 

---------------------------------

Astonishing work highlander, I was talking with Dain regarding whether or not mortars and congreve rockets would be feasible? We came to the conclusion that neither or us had the foggiest so it was best to ask you. Mortars would be in your own iterest as well, the coehorn was the probably the most populous single piece of artillery in the world, Dutch designed in  the1740's I think, with variations used by almost every nation for the next 130 years.

One question, are the artillery stationary?

You asked regarding Stephano's helmets, I have told Dain he is more than welcome to use any artwork from PN.
--------------------------------
Cannons are brilliant... one question though, is it possible to have your artillery officer stick with the guns rather than be counted as infantry? Also since the guns are static, we can add exta bits of detail later.. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:18:18 pm by Dain Ironfoot » 

I was talking with Dain regarding whether or not mortars and congreve rockets would be feasible? We came to the conclusion that neither or us had the foggiest so it was best to ask you. Mortars would be in your own iterest as well, the coehorn was the probably the most populous single piece of artillery in the world, Dutch designed in  the1740's I think, with variations used by almost every nation for the next 130 years.

Rockets, weren't they only used in sieges? And mortars could be made easily, they'd work similar to howitzers, with a little bit more shoot high.

Quote from: Ealdormann Hussey on August 25, 2008, 12:49:17 pm
One question, are the artillery stationary?

They are. There is not much point in making them moveable. They are spawned at the highest position in 30 metres and even if I could make a script to move them, which would be highly complicated, I don't see any use for it. I mean where else would you put them?

Quote from: Dain Ironfoot on August 25, 2008, 07:13:35 pm
Cannons are brilliant... one question though, is it possible to have your artillery officer stick with the guns rather than be counted as infantry? Also since the guns are static, we can add exta bits of detail later..

Possable, yes. Feel free to suggest any details, that come into your mind.
-------------------------------------------

Nope, the experimental rocket corp founded by colonel conreve worked in a similar manner to the horse artillery, have a peek here:

Notoriously erratic, even in the 1840's when they put fins on for spin they were fairly innacurate, back during the peninsular war they're only method or stability was the poles.

Quote from: Dain Ironfoot on August 25, 2008, 07:13:35 pm

By bits of detail do you mean limbers caissons and horse teams?
Bits and pieces, yes... somewhen.

Possable, yes. Feel free to suggest any details, that come into your mind.

Good.. aside from the fact he ran off, cannons work brilliantly. It'll be nice to have him there overseeing the guns (Artillery officer uniform is really cool) 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:14:08 am by Dain Ironfoot » 

----------------------------------------
Next I'll fix the artillery officer and try to improve the effects. I want to have dust everywhere around the cannons.
Maybe I'll do grenade ammo for howitzers, too. Canister shots, however, wouldn't turn out well, I'm afraid. I made some shotguns for 1866, but it wasn't that good.

Edit:
And I think we have to find a way to make the terrain less hilly, don't we? I mean would any officer choose a hilly terrain for battle? Exept for guerillas maybe. Besides that, such MaB extreme hill terrains don't even exist, I think. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:57:19 am by Highlander » 

Oooh, artillery. I'm salivating in anticipation Highlander! Well done. 

Dain,

Are you sticking to the standard sandbox-style of Native or structuring the campaign more with scripts? If so, how will you represent the balance of forces? The English armies will be penned up behind the Lines of Torres and likely to get hammered by French armies using the standard M&B native system. Would you start the campaign pre-or-post Massena's defeat and call for retreat?
----------------------------
Highlander

Well we should have varying terrains and some terrains in which cannon are more or less effective... will have to think about the map.. still trying to think of ideas there.. also need to have a general look at the terrain in the peninsular..

Markus:
Ideally, yes we'd have some kind of scripted campaign. However as I've said before, I am utterly useless at that area.. coasting on Highlander's good will at the moment.. somewhen I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start fiddling more with the module system which'll be a huge roadblock as my time is so so limited. But I will do it.
Will also be related to the map chosen and the historical situation will probably be decided based on that and gameplay. We'll have to see.. I'm taking things one step at a time. But any ideas anyone has will be great! I'm thinking of possibly shifting the time to 1812 to give a more even footing, but we'll see. Definitely leaning towards post Sabugal..

In other news, been on something of a rigging spree. Almost rigged all the uniforms shown + variations..

Also does..

Marie-Louise -Soldat - Caporal - Sergent - Sergent-Major

or for non sous-officiers: soldat - Vielle culotte - Vrai Bougre - briscard

(where due to the lack of a chosen man/lance corporal equivilent, First sergeant (Sergent-Major) is the equivalent of the British sergeant)

sound right? 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:40:53 am by Dain Ironfoot » 

Look up Zaro's graphical enhancement thread. He has made a plug-in to make terrain less hilly. Might be of use to you.

Dain: what program do you use for rigging and do you, by any chance, know of any good rigging tutorials (not so much how to learn a rigging program, but to learn how to do the actual rigging of normal armours/clothing)? 

Dain asked me to help him with the French ranks. I'm not a specialist in making fancy troop trees, but I'll do my best.

Marie-Louise - Homme de Troupe (instead of 'soldat') - Caporal - Sergent - Sergent-Major

Possibly followed by this ranks: Adjutant-sous-Officier (Senior NCO) - Porte-Aigle ('Eagle-bearer' - actually there were the 1e, 2e and 3e P.-A. carrying the flag) - Sous-Lieutenant and Lieutenant (Company officers).

(OK, that would be a whole bunch of officers running around the battlefield, but at least the Porte-Aigles would be a picturesque addition to the regular troops.)

IMO the terms vielle culotte - vrai Bougre - briscard could very well used for non sous-officiers.

A Line battalion consisted of 6 companies: 4 Fusilier, 1 Voltingeur (light infantry) and 1 Grenadier company.
Accordingly the Light Infantry battalions: 4 Chasseur, 1 Voltingeur and 1 Carabinier company.

So the troop trees for soldiers of Ligne and Légère units could be more or less the same except for the different denotations.

I'm not quite sure about the term 'Marie-Louise'. I know that it was used for the poorly trained and equipped recruits of the years 1813-15, but I can't tell if it was used before that time.

BTW: Found something concerning the Marie-Louises:

Hope this info is of use for you.

EDIT:

If you'll need more uniform plates, let me know. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:28:09 pm by von Schweinewitz » 

---------------------------------------
Cool. What I really need now is the exact number of chevrons + sleeve bands for those ranks... as far as I can see a Sergent has no chevrons and a yellow band near his cuff while a Caporal has 2 red chevrons? Have you got any refs as to the exact progression of these? What about Sergent-Major? Is this the same for the voltigeur and grenadier companies.. what about chasseurs?  I know some of these ranks change depending on if it's an artillery or cavalry regiment.. do they follow the same system of stripes? Slightly confused here y'see

I'm using the term marie-louise for an untrained recruit.. it was either that or conscript... possibly the french'll have both conscripts and recruits which'll then lead into the standard troop tree.

Just the 3 more uniforms to rig currently. Yay! 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:09:23 pm by Dain Ironfoot » 

Hell, my brain is mess of English, French and German terms today ... that's the risk of uniformology. But it's getting better now.

1812 uniform:

Sergents (Line Infantry): gold bar on red over the cuff.

Sergent-Majors wore two gold bars on red, Corporals two orange bars. All the same for fusilier, grendadier and voltingeur uniforms.

Sergents (Light Infantry): white chevron over the cuff. Corporals wore two of them. Same for chasseurs, grenadiers and voltingeurs. Not sure about the Sergent-Majors, sorry.

So far, so good. As for the red chevrons that were worn on the upper sleeve: That **** gives me the creeps. Some sources refer to them as 'sevice chevrons' - I'm not sure what that means. (Distinction for good efforts, perhaps?) It is stated that they were used as rank insignia of the Light infantry with the pre-1812 uniforms, but I'm rather confused about that because it is not comprehensible for me regarding the uniform plates I know.

EDIT:

Artillery and cavalry had similar rank insignia as described above, but there also differences (between several cavalry regiments, Horse and Line artillery etc. etc. ). Maybe we should meditate this question after the infantry uniforms are finished.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:52:09 pm by von Schweinewitz »

----------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps when I come to do extra variations for veteran units I can stick service chevrons in. In the mean time that info should suffice, thanks very much!
------------------------------
Zaro's graphical enhancement mod makes the border terrain less hilly, not the actual land you fight on. But there may be a way of doing this.

I found this map (it's bigso I spoilerized it), which may be of some use.

(click to show/hide)

Best of luck!
--------------------
Got a quick question for anyone... should officers have a small cartridge box about their person (similar to the 95th officer)
I'm talking about a small cartridge box slung round the back ala the 95th officer uniform for pistol use. Seems a bit better than keeping spare ammo in your pocket.. 

Having to re-rig the redcoats... mucked up somewhere.. 95th look good though. 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:53:54 am by Dain Ironfoot » 
I think you'll find most officers carried pistols amongst their effects.

EDIT: Bugger! I thought I'd completed rigging, but upon testing ingame, they all (except the misaligned Redcoats, arg) had this weird problem with a load of vertices attached to a random point.. will have to do again I think. Ach well. 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:41:58 am by Dain Ironfoot » 

--------------------
felt an impact upon my back, later upon removing my leather pouch I found a musket ball had pretrated half the way in..."

Ensign Peters, 11th Devonshire, seems likely he's referring to a cavalry style cartridge pouch.

Quote from: Gunfreak on August 27, 2008, 06:56:53 am
no they didn't, it was a completly useless weapon on the battlefield, if they are with in pistol shot, you might as well take a step forward and stab them with you sword.

the only place a pistol was usefull was on a ship, but again, the didn't carry spare ammo, they just had lots and lots of pistols around their neck. shoot, drop the pistol, take another one

I  doubt officers would even carry a pistol and if they did they probebly didn't carry spare ammo, one shot, and thats it. atleast for regular infantry officers,

light company officers if they had a firearm would have a musket not pistol.

Don't talk rot. A pistol is a fabulous weapon to have, especially is relatively close quarters, as at that range its quite easy to hit, and you don't have to penetrate the guard of a bayonet or sword. I can think of at least 3 memoirs written by officers which refer to officers reloading a pistol. Seamen didn't reload purely for the reason that they DID carry more than one pistol, combined with shorter personnel engagements. Long arms was entirely the perogotive of the officer, battalion infantry officers were quite as happy to use long arms as their light infantry counterparts, it fitted with a "sporting" persona, the bayonet was the faux pas, as Lietenant Simmons of the 95th wrote of an Irish officer same battalion.

sorry for trying to help.
No, you should be sorry for talking directly out of your arse hole.

Quote from: Dain Ironfoot on August 27, 2008, 03:30:33 am
Got a quick question for anyone... should officers have a small cartridge box about their person (similar to the 95th officer)

Yes, why not. It's the old issue again about officers bespoke uniforms, you can more or less do what you like, but remember usually only the staff would wear single breasted coatees in that period, regimental officers mainly had double breasted.
As for the pouch, its a cavary affectation really, but the light infantry quickly picked up on it and judging from quotes as above and a few osprey pictures I've seen the rest of the army followed suit to a greater or lesser extent.

Edited for  spelling. 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:35:07 pm by Ealdormann Hussey » 

---------------------------
Yes Hussey, I'm leaning towards a more localised map.. still trying to decide a good bit though.. going to the Royal Greenjackets museum today for a poke about, woo yay. Then to re-rig everything.. at least I've proved it doesn't take overlong. 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:58:28 pm by Dain Ironfoot »

-------------------------------
location suggestion:

Barossa campaign ? Late 1810/early 1811 from memory...  The British landed an expeditionary force south-east of Cadiz, the Spanish made a mess and the French almost trapped and destroyed the lot...  A little bit of historical licence and you can use the southern part of Spain/Portugal for the map.  Slightly less rugged, a nice mixture of terrains otherwise, and no massive fortresses to dominate the campaign like Badajoz and Elvas might.  Cadiz was a fortress by nature of it's geography rather than the artificial defences I think. 

The war in the southern part is also less well known, what with the British and Portuguese concentrating their efforts on the Lisbon-Madrid axis of attack.  Guerillerros formed bands of several hundred strong to fight Soult's occupying army, which included a lot of French 'allied' troops (good colour and variety opportunity).  Other than the Barossa campaign, the British involvment was limited to a few RN raids.  Anyway, I'll leave it at that, you're more than capable of finding out for yourselves!

Artillery officer suggestion:
have the rank of your artillerymen affect things like type of ammo, ammo supply?  Basic gunners have only 5 roundshot, Gunner Sergeant has 5 roundshot + 5 canister, Gun Captain has 5 roundshot, 5 canister and 5 shell...?

And yes, officers reloaded pistols.  Cavalry troopers also reloaded pistols.  Lack of sources showing officers with cartouches or other pouches would be down to the fact that officers were not issued their kit, but provided it from private means.  Also, if 'posing' for an artist, I suspect that they would prefer the romantic image of the sabre-lofting hero to some ungentlemanly pistol bandit.
----------------------------------------------
Anyway, rigging... seems there WASN'T an error. Leastways it's disappeared and I haven't been able to replicate it.. Still got to realign the redcoats though and then rig the officer meshes. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:18:26 am by Dain Ironfoot » 

Quote from: Connors on August 28, 2008, 04:25:02 am
This might not help, but as for setting how about before and during Massena's invasion of Portugal? My knowledge is a bit hazy but, I think that would mean that before the invasion of Portugal happens, you can have a period of border skirmishing and outposts (which could be represented on the map as defend able locations), like Barba del Puerco, and after which you've got set piece battles and sieges. Just a thought.

Possible, but I'm leaning towards a time when the allies are pushing out from Portugal, to allow a little more of an even standing. All these suggestions are useful though, so keep it up!

Artillery officer suggestion:
have the rank of your artillerymen affect things like type of ammo, ammo supply?  Basic gunners have only 5 roundshot, Gunner Sergeant has 5 roundshot + 5 canister, Gun Captain has 5 roundshot, 5 canister and 5 shell...?

Not sure, but atm shot and powder are purchased (something that may change, or at least they'll have to be drawn from a store somewhere rather than purchased) but it'd be cool if higher ranks increase the firing speed of the guns.. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:37:20 am by Dain Ironfoot » 

Rigging again

I honestly can't fathom it, but randomly, vertices will attatch themselves to random points and stay there. I honestly can't explain why.. I can have random armours in the same scene and some will be perfect while others have this problem... any ideas? Could someone have a try of them in their own game?
--------------------------------------
Dain, are you planning to do any scene-editing or will you be using Native's scenes? Also, are you looking to include NPC's (basic or dynamic - like in 0.960) in the mod? Obviously uniformed soldiers would be a little silly but but NPC's representing Spanish partisans with a mind for gold could work, especially if they come with high Pathfinding/Spotting/Tracking skills.
Oh many many plans... yes custom scenes would be ideal, but getting troops sorted first.. spanish villages, forts, towns.. yes it would be cool.. possibly some more interesting battlefields (skirmishes around bridges or buildings could be fun.. not sure how to implement that though)
... yes, definitely some characters.. possibly officers under the players command may be NPCs (simple ones so they won't desert) as in the mod the artillery officer is already an NPC.. and from what I've seen of the formation mod, formations need a leader? If so, having an officer for each division might make sense.. but I'm very open for ideas for when we come to this bit.
-------------------------------------------
Dain, the following website has pictures of the artillery carbine, artillery sword and various picutres/discriptions of ranks, rank markings, uniforms and so on:
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/ryl-arty.htm

So are the rifles going to be recruitable? Which dragoon regiments are you going to choose for the British?

Quote from: Dain Ironfoot on August 28, 2008, 07:04:44 am

Anyway..

Rigging again

I honestly can't fathom it, but randomly, vertices will attatch themselves to random points and stay there. I honestly can't explain why.. I can have random armours in the same scene and some will be perfect while others have this problem... any ideas? Could someone have a try of them in their own game?

Send em my way if you haven't sorted it yet, same sort of thing as we had way back when with PN? Where we'd get vertexes going everywhere? That was an exporting problem with the program you were using I recall. I'll check em through milkshape if you like, thats what I rigged all the old uniforms through and it worked fine.

Quote from: Gunfreak on August 28, 2008, 04:44:48 am

the austirans had holsters for pistols, and some britsh officers had them to,

Nonsense, mounted officers would have had pistol buckets, which look a bit like holsters but would be entirely useless without a horse, because if you bent more than 15 degress they'd just fall out, and as they were designed to hold two pistols would be very cumbersome. Officers pistols would be either affixed to they're horse, held by a servant or possibly tucked into a belt or sash, but thats fairly unlikely unless they have some form of slimmer duelling style of pistol.

Hussey: Well it's weird... it seems utterly random.. I'd quite like to preserve the rigging I've done as it works well... but these random errors are really really annoying.. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:03:32 pm by Dain Ironfoot » 

Can I suggest for NPCs that you include some Exploring Officers like Colqhoun Grant (damn, spelt it wrong again...) some Guerrilleros and some Chaseeurs Britanniques?
The exploring officers would have lines like "I refused to give my parole, but they let me spend time in the tavern because I've put up a bond of 1,000 guineas...  They know I can't afford to run"

The partisans, well, they would work for themselves, so they would be really headstrong and liable to disagree with most of your actions/companions etc, unles you were a Spanish character.

The Chasseurs Britanniques would be Republican/Bonapartiste plants who were trying to make their way back to the French armies but would be equally agreeable to the 'cover story' of attaching themselves to a misfit/independent unit like the player's.

Just thoughts, really. 

As for a new thread - can you make password-protected threads?  Otherwise the same crap is eventually going to follow it.  Unless you keep this one alive somehow, and PM people who are involved or otherwise helpful the new thread, with a non-title like "Merits of the levee en masse visa-vis the volunteer system" to discourage random interest.  Basically, a 'secret' thread.  You would keep an eye on this one, and if someone dropped in with some good ideas/questions (like Hussey, for example) you would PM them the real mod thread.
I don't think password protected threads are possable/allowed on TW. Unfortunately a childboard with Dain as the moderator is not an option too, because the mod would need a release. You could of course put a development thread into the Gladiator board and I delete all spam that is posted, but well, I hope there are better ideas.

Quote from: Amman de Stazia on August 28, 2008, 07:16:05 pm
Can I suggest for NPCs that you include some Exploring Officers like Colqhoun Grant (damn, spelt it wrong again...) some Guerrilleros and some Chaseeurs Britanniques?

Hey, you could sing up as the basic scripter and you could add all that.  Couldn't resist. Do you mean just as bandit parties, which are allied with France or Britain?

About the rigging issue:
On some uniforms there are unassigned verticles. On some other uniforms, however some verticles are assigned to a mysterious bone "20", which doesn't exist.
You could of course open all uniforms and search for these one or two verticles, but I suggest you somethink different. All of the wrong verticles I've seen were somewhere hidden inside the model, so that you don't really notice them (unless the rigging is messed up).
Just open the .smd file of each model with Notepad, click "replace", " -1 " with " 0 " (don't forget the spaces!), replace all.
If the error keeps appearing, " 20 " with " 0 ". There might be some other bones that don't exist like 21, etc. Then search for " <number> " in the file and, if there is one higher than 19, then replace it with 0.
What I explained you basically assigns all wrong assigned verticles to bone 0. In case the vertex that isn't assigned is somewhere visible (not inside the model), this might still look stupid. In that case you really need to find this vertex and rig it correctly, but I don't think that'll happen.
------------------------------------------

I'll stick to ideas, that's easier

re "Do you mean just as bandit parties, which are allied with France or Britain?"

Um, I meant (for the NPCs) that they would be individuals.  The current NPCs seem to have some triggers built in - for instance, Matheld will leave the party every so often to try and raise her own war-band, and can't stand common women like Deshavi or non-fighters like Ymira.  I am guessing that it's possible to have some NPCs set to like/dislike particular factions or behaviours - I've not looked into it.  If it is, (and I'm trying to stay relevant here!)  Then an Exploring Officer NPC would have the 'character' of:
absolutely pro-british, but would cooperate with anyone anti-French to some extent.
relatively honourable with a touch of expediency allowed
formal military

A guerillero leader (who might bring a dozen non-NPC ragamuffins with him) could be pretty much anything from ultra-catholic-royalist-Spanish (and hating the English as much as the French!) to a calculating mercenary answerable only to the chink of gold.

A Chasseurs Britanniques deserter/plant would be
pro-French, but willing to co-operate with the British to maintain their cover...
slightly honourable with a tendency to expediency.
highly elitist/arrogant and aristocratic, rather than with professional military skills

historically the C.Bs were useless, being officered by expat. aristos who had fled the Terror, and manned by deserters and a few ethnic-frenchmen from the colonies.  But for a couple of NPCs who could join either side at a pinch, they'd do.
Obviously a British Army Exploring Officer would have to have a damn good excuse to fight with a French Palyer-party, I'll leave that one to the experts....
As for the partisans - there were plenty who hated the English for religious and historical reasons just as badly as they hated the French, so these might well take either side.

I'm probably spouting lots of useless stuff, but hopefully Dain will find one good idea and forgive me the rest!  In present company, the only thing I can be proud of is my ideas/period knowledge, because you guys run rings round me in texturing, python and modelling...

(cue fluttering of eyelids)
--------------------------------------
Out of interest, is there any plan as to how the campaign will be conducted, for example, would there be a period before the actual advance kicks off so that the PC can actually get some kind of a force together? Also, how were you chaps planning to handle the Lords?

By the way, I like the way the British troop tree looks   

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:25:32 pm by Connors 

Highlander: Great that it's fixable. I think this is due to my rigging method, so your advice should hopefully fix it!

Amman de Stazia: Brilliant ideas. Though we're still in the basic stages here, it'd be great to implement much period colour later.. Grant the fox would be a great NPC to meet 
---------------------------------------------
As a response to a very old post, which I overlooked because of all that spam:
Yes, of course higher level foot gunners can be made to reload faster. I also thought about making them more accurate, but that's not very good, as the cannons always aim at the middle of the enemy's crowd, so a certain inaccuracy is necessary (otherwise all your cannons would hit exactly the same position).
I'm technically working on another project with a friend at the moment, but I'm playing around with buildings and scene props. If I were to see some pictures of the kind of buildings around at this time, I may just be able to have a go at a few. I'll probably be quite busy soon when I'm back at school, but I'm only offering because this is one of my favourite periods of history.

Also, building on something someone said many pages earlier, you could put "points of strategical interest" on the map. This could be, say, and bridge. It would work like a castle, i.e. you could garrison troops, and capture it from enemies, but you don't have to pay to stay there. The only thing is, you can pretty much travel through cities and castles on the world map, so it can't really be used to stop an army crossing this point of the river, unless the people stationed in the bridge decide to come out and attack you as you pass by. It could work though, and it would open up a whole new bunch of missions like "take this bridge" and "secure this area".

The initial mission (babysit officer) ends with him either safe and well or dead, and is follwoed by a 1-on-1 with the C.O.

1st mission fail dialogue:

CO:

Well, Sergeant…  I know you are a good soldier, but damme, I have to write to the boy’s mother!  What should I tell her, hey?  No, it wouldn’t do, in this Army, for a good soldier to prosper, when an officer in his care is dead!  I am afraid to say, you’ll have to leave us.  Now, I’ll do my best for you, indeed if you wish I can secure you a posting in an Artillery or Cavalry unit?

Player:

> I’m an infantryman, sir.

> I’ll try the cavalry, sir.

> I’ll try the artillery, sir.

1st mission succeed dialogue.

CO:

Sergeant, you have excelled!  Absolutely excelled – I can’t say how impressed I am with ensign Smith’s report.  In fact, I’ve spoken to Brigade and the General agrees that a promotion would be the very thing for you.  Only, there are no vacancies in my command at the moment.  There are possibilities though – two infantry Regiments have adverted me to a vacancy for Colour-Sergeant, and there is also my brother’s Cavalry Squadron, they need a good man for a Troop Sergeant there.  If you fancy something really different…  Well – I should give you the choice, although I hardly think you’d fancy the gunners, what?  There’s a gun crew needs a Sergeant in one of the light batteries.  It’s a big thing, they say – command your own gun crew!

Player:

> I’m an infantryman, sir.

> I’ll try the cavalry, sir.

> I’ll try the artillery, sir.

So basically a few game-days as an infantryman to test you out...  I came across a reference to remount prices in Mark Urban's writings on Scovell & the French codes.  Apparently 20 to 30 pounds was the normal 1809 rate.  An infantry private, for reference, was officially paid about 18 pounds, minus deductions for pretty much everything.  20 pounds would have been the price for an officers made to measure sabre (no bling) so in M&B native money, comparable to a balanced bastard sword I guess...

That makes horses expensive as hell unless you steal, or get issued, one!

As for mass slaughter: Is it possible (my favourite question, it seems) to do the following:

When your combined parties exceed battle-size there are always 'rounds' of combat.  How about, the LAST round of combat, so long as it is not also the FIRST, is always cancelled.  The fighting parties are returned to the world map.  If the player has WON (ie, finishes penultimate combat round with - Victory! Press Tab key -  string) then the enemy parties will each be split into x number of smaller groups - maybe 3 or four?  These will all become 'deserter' parties except the one party led by the enemy hero/officer (Lord in native).  That is, you have routed the enemy, rather than slaughtered/captured them.
If the player LOSES (ie is ejected from combat mode due to loss of health) then the PLAYER party splits into smaller groups...
It would be ideal to have the player's NPCs shared out among as many of these as possible, with only those without an NPC 'leader' becoming deserters.

In 'musket' mods of my own, I have always given some of the firearms blunt damage, so that there are lots of prisoners, rather than lots of dead.  I know it's weird to have bullets inflicting blunt damage, but I can't get past the involved/casualties ratios of the 'bloodiest' battles of that period, Assaye and Talavera.

At Assaye, there were less than 20,000 British and Company troops engaged, and off the top of my head under 2,000 dead or disabled.
At Talavera, there may have been 40,000 British and Spanish combined, and losses were (?) approx 4,500.

Point being, 10% was lots for the winners, and the losers would have suffered 15 to 20% in an catastrophe. 
Unless a morale system arrives in  M&B, inflicting captivity rather than death is the only way we can avoid having armies wiped out over and over...

OK, start menu compiled without errors, although I get the warning for not using variables - does that matter?

I'm going to try it using some native items...

if its AOK then I'll have a go (NO PROMISES) at the 1st mission...

hallelujah!!

Got it working.  Apparently python does not recognise 'layers' of 'try_begin'

anyway, all it needs is the random testing items replaced with the proper mod items, so here it is, MARKUSII ...

(sorry, I improved from start through...)

game_menus = [
#This needs to be the first window!!!
    #####################################################################################################################################################
    #
# remove all line / para breaks from textes, use ^^\ for para. breaks...
# from here by Schahkeira and Amman d' Stazia...
  (
    "start_game_1",menu_text_color(0xFF000000)|mnf_disable_all_keys,
    "Welcome to this Mount&Blade adaptation for the Peninsula War set in 1811. To begin, select your character's gender...^^\
    As a woman, although you can rely on your intelligence to keep you out of trouble, you cannot rely on strength, nor will you easily convince others to follow you. Still, you got into this tavern disguised as a young man, and you should be able to keep the pretence up for some time yet...^^\
    As a man, you will have no particular advantage nor disadvantage",
    "none",
    [],
    [
  ("start_male",[],"I'm a man, man.",
      [
          (troop_set_type,"trp_player",0),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_strength,2),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_agility,2),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_charisma,2),
          (assign,"$character_gender",tf_male),
          (jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_1"),
        ]
      ),
      ("start_female",[],"I'm a woman.",
      [
          (troop_set_type,"trp_player",1),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_intelligence,4),
#          (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_persuasion, 4),
          (assign,"$character_gender",tf_female),
          (jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_1")
        ]
      ),
      ("go_back",[],"Go back",
      [(change_screen_quit),
        ]
      ),
      ]
  ),
#This needs to be the second window!!!
  (
    "start_phase_2",mnf_disable_all_keys,

"You rendezvous with the young officer, who snorts down his haughty nose at the relaxed attitude of your grubby squad. You don't care much for this, but it is a minor blemish - this mission is a dream come true for you, promising several days of being virtually free of military discipline, and the chance to shine in the eyes of your superiors. ^^\
Hoisting your pack into a more comfortable position, you look to the Aide-de-Camp for permission to set off, and are rewarded with a languid flick of the hand which you interpret as consent...",
    "none",
    [],
#
#end of first bit of A & K scripts
#####################################################################################################################################################  #
#

######################################################################################################################################################
  #
  #
# from here by Schahkeira and Amman d' Stazia...
#
  #
  #
######################################################################################################################################################
  (
    "start_character_1",mnf_disable_all_keys,
    "You move warily around the inn.  The crowd here are pretty rough - off-duty soldiers mostly, plus some Navy men, rinsing the salt off their lips with ale.  The women are garishly dressed, faces heavy with paint and powder...^^\
You climb the stairs to the first level, where you expect to find what you seek...  Recruiters who will sign you in to the Army.  As you mount the stairs, you become aware of a passionate speech rising to a climax.  On the last step, a deafening cheer erupts, and you automatically join in with the loud cries of...",
    "none",
    [    (str_clear,s10),
    (str_clear,s11),
    (str_clear,s12),
    (str_clear,s13),
    (str_clear,s14),
    (str_clear,s15),],
    [
  ("profrench",[
            ],"Vive L'Empreur!  Vive la France! ",[
        (assign,"$background_answer_3",cb3_french),
      (str_store_string,s10,"@As a soldier of France you will march under the military genius of Napoleon Bonaparte, who has crushed all enemies from Italy to Denmark and from Portugal to Russia.  Truly, the world is at you mercy!"),
(jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_2"),
        ]),
      ("antifrench",[#also for spanish and portuguese partisans
          ],"God Save King George! God Bless England! ",[
        (assign,"$background_answer_3",cb3_antifrench),
      (str_store_string,s10,"@The British Isles are the last bastion of freedom in Europe.  The Corsican Ogre would have the whole world licking his boots, were it not for the desperate efforts of the Spanish and British Armies, defending a thin strip of Iberian beachhead against Bonaparte's war machine...  ^^\
Your help is sorely needed."),
(jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_2")
        ]
      ),
      ("go_back",[],"Go back",
      [(change_screen_quit),
        ]
      ),
      ]
  ),
#

(
    "start_character_2",0,
"{s10}^^  You look around the room, admiring the rich uniforms and confident swagger of the smart officers.  There are about twenty of them, cavalrymen dripping with lace and braid; serious, professional men of the Artillery, and tough-looking, scarred veterans from the Infantry.  All told, there must be ten Regiments represented here, all of them recruiting feverishly for the new campaign season: Spinning tales of bedding wenches, pursuing broken enemies,  and living like princes from the plunder of a dozen battlefields. ^^\
It is a far cry from your childhood...",
    "none",
    [

],

#  - these #-out parts should be all functional if reinstated, we can change the whole 'background' stuff easily if the text is not ideal... 

[
    ("start_german",[],"In a village near Frankfurt.",[
      (assign,"$background_type",cb_german),
      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player","skl_trainer",2),
      (assign, reg3, "$character_gender"),
      (str_store_string,s11,"@You grew up on the banks of the River Main, learning from wandering Friars the principles of teaching, and from wandering bandits the principles of survival.  You were lucky to be apprenticed at a young age, but no sooner had you begun to enjoy your new-found skills than Consul Bonaparte swept through the Rhineland, and you were forced to grow up very very fast..."),
(jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_3"),
    ]),
#    ("start_irish",[],"On the windswept moors of Donegal.",[
#      (assign,"$background_type",cb_irish),
#      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player","skl_leadership",2),
#      (assign, reg3, "$character_gender"),
#      (str_store_string,s11,"@You were born the fifth of nine children, and by no means the largest.  It was often cold and wet, but somehow, you had the knack of organising your siblings to your best advantage. ^^\
#    Your father and his friends decided that your abilities would be well-used in their smuggling ring, and quickly taught you every cave and inlet on the north-west coast.  One day, however, your father came home grim-faced:  The band had been smashed by British Redcoats, and it was time to leave home and find a new life..."),
## (jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_3"),
#  ]),
    ("start_french",[(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_french),],"In the slums of Paris.",[
      (assign,"$background_type",cb_french),
      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player","skl_tactics",2),
      (str_store_string,s11,"@As a child, your family scrabbled out a meagre existence, often resorting to theft of the meanest rags and scraps.  With the Fall of the Bastille things began to look better.  Then one day, you stole a beautiful thing: A red-leather coated book.  The creamy parchment and flowing symbols inspired you to read, and while other slum kids were jeering the aristos under Madame Guillotine, you absorbed every detail of The Sun King's glorious military campaigns..."),
    ]),
    ("start_spanish",[],"In the arid plains of Estramadura.",[
      (assign,"$background_type",cb_spanish),
      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player","skl_weapon_master",2),
      (try_begin),
      (eq,"$character_gender",tf_male),
        (troop_add_gold, "trp_player", 50),
      (else_try),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_strength,1),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_agility,1),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_charisma,1),
      (try_end),
      (str_store_string,s11,"@You were the {reg3?daughter:son} of an innkeeper, carrying pots of ale to thirsty travellers.  One man came very often - an Army Officer, who would often let you hold his ornate sword.  When your father died, the Officer brought you a magnificent gift: A sword of your own.^^\
Your mother was not able to keep the inn open much longer, and your family moved to the nearest town, Talavera de la Reina.  ^^\
You swung the sword every day, mimicking the sabre-practice of the Dragones in the town garrison..."),
    ]),
    ("start_polish",[(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_french),],"On a small farm near Warsaw.",[
      (assign,"$background_type",cb_polish),
      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player","skl_riding",2),
      (str_store_string,s11,"@You were a child of nature, always with the farm animals. Above all other creatures, though, you loved horses, and you learned to ride almost before you learned how to walk.  Your father boasted that you were a szlachta, a champion cavalryman.  ^^\
    Then, the Russians arrived, and that little farm was burned to the ground..."),
    ]),
    ("start_english",[(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_antifrench),],"In the streets of London.",[
      (assign,"$background_type",cb_english),
      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player","skl_trade",2),
      (str_store_string,s11,"@As the {reg3?daughter:son} of a wharf foreman, you had very little 'formal' education. Instead you learned first-hand the value of goods from all over the world, and how a little 'enterprise' went a long way.  A winter storm though, collapsed your father's dock - with him standing on it.^^\
In no time at all, you found yourself forced to make an unpleasant choice and leave your family to fend for yourself..."),
    ]),
("start_scottish",[(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_antifrench),],"In the glens of Scotland.",[
      (assign,"$background_type",cb_scottish),
      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player","skl_ironflesh",2),
      (str_store_string,s11,"@As the {reg3?daughter:son} of a cattle drover, walking was like breathing.  Twice a year, from the thick green pastures of Argyll to the lucrative marts of Glasgow or Stirling, and every day in between, up and down the steep slopes, helping to herd the beasts.  As you grew old enough to be noticed, though, you had to learn to defend yourself as well as your cows, for there were no holds barred in cattle-rustling.^^\
    One raid, though, was a disaster, with your father and brother shot dead by the Laird's men. You fled, not yet a teenager, to the streets of Glasgow..."),
    ]),
#    ("start_portuguese",[],"In the rich vineyard country by Oporto.",[
#      (assign,"$background_type",cb_portuguese),
#      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player","skl_pathfinding",2),
#      (assign, reg3, "$character_gender"),
#      (try_begin),
#      (eq,"$character_gender",tf_male),
#        (troop_add_gold, "trp_player", 10),
#      (else_try),
#          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_strength,1),
#          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_agility,1),
#          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_charisma,1),
#      (try_end),
#      (str_store_string,s11,"@Your parents were winery labourers, and the moment you could walk you were sent off to one field after another, picking grapes, shouting at birds, turning over the compost heaps.  You tramped little tracks and struggled through dense forests as you explored the endless countryside between jobs.  It was great but it ended quite suddenly when the wine trade fell victim to Napoleon's Continental System.  Jobless, your family moved to Lisbon - without you. ^^\
#    Blissfully unaware of the dangers of the world to a young {reg3?girl:boy} you went wandering..."),
# (jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_3"),
#    ]),
    ("go_back",[],"Go back",
    [(jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_1"),
    ]),
    ]
  ),
  (
    "start_character_3",0,
    "{s11}^^ One by one, you move around the fringes of the recruiting groups, listening to the officers extol the virtues of their particular Regiments and Companies: The Dragoons, who talk of the power of the heavy cavalry; the dashing officers of the Light Cavalry flicking their pelisses as they praise their fast sabres and nimble steeds; Two Light Infantrymen, arguing whether muskets are better than rifles; A Grenadier, boasting of the size and strength of his soldiers; Line Infantry Officers discussing firepower and maneouvring; and the Artillery, who chill the air with a description of the slaughter wreaked by canister at close range.  ^^\
After a few tankards of the local brew, you pluck up the courage to approach...",
    "none",
    [],
    [
      ("line",[
#        Line Infantry
          ],"The Line Infantry Officer.",[
      (assign,"$background_answer_2", cb2_line),
      (str_store_string,s15,"@platoon"),
      (str_store_string,s14,"@ensigns"),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@You reckon that you can stand in line and fire musket balls as fast as anyone, and you know that the drill and maneouvring will be easy for you.  ^^\
Line infantry, the backbone of the Army - your new life!..."),
        (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_weapon_master,1),
#      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_looting,1),
#        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_firearm-longarm,30),
        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_polearm,30),
(jump_to_menu,"mnu_choose_skill"),
    ]),
      ("grenadier",[
# Grenadier
          ],"The Grenadier Officer",[
      (assign,"$background_answer_2",cb2_grenadier),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@You are bigger and stronger than most {reg3?girls:boys} in this tavern, and are not easily scared.  ^^\
You know in your heart that these elite 'shock troops' will benefit from you joining them..."),
    (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_power_strike,1),     
    ]),

("rifle",[(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_antifrench),
#  Light Infantry - elite
          ],"The dark-uniformed Rifle Officer.",[
      (assign,"$background_answer_2",cb2_rifle),
    (str_store_string,s13,"@{reg3?girl:boy}"),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@As a {s13} you had often tried your hand with the gamekeeper's guns. You reckon you can pick the eyes out of a rabbit at a hundred paces, and the Rifles sound like they  value such talents.  ^^\
Clearly, this elite unit will suit your talents..."),
        (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_pathfinding,1),
#        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_firearms-longarm,60),
    ]),
      ("ldragoon",[(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_antifrench),
#  Light Cavalry not french
          ],"The Light Dragoon Officer",[
      (assign,"$background_answer_2",cb2_ldragoon),
      (str_store_string,s15,"@troop"),
      (str_store_string,s14,"@cornets"),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@Flashing spurs, bright tunic, rakish shako and an elegantly curved sabre.^^\
What else could you possibly wish for?  A fast horse?  Good thing you chose the Light Cavalry!..."),
    (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_riding,1),
        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_one_handed_weapon,60),     
    ]),
                  ("lancer",[(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_french),
#  Lancers, french
          ],"The Lancer Officer",[
      (assign,"$background_answer_2",cb2_lancer),
      (str_store_string,s13,"@{reg3?woman:man}"),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@Flashing spurs, bright tunic and a fast horse.^^\
what else could a young {reg3?woman:man} possibly wish for?  The destructive attacking power of a twelve-foot lance? Good thing you chose the Light Cavalry!..."),
        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_polearm,60),     
    ]),
            ("chasseur",[(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_french),
#  Hussars, french
          ],"The Chasseur Officer",[
      (assign,"$background_answer_2",cb2_chasseur),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@Flashing spurs, bright tunic, a smart shako and an elegantly curved sabre.^^\
What else could a young {reg3?woman:man} possibly wish for?  A fast horse?  Good thing you chose the Light Cavalry!..."),
        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_one_handed_weapon,40),
#        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_firearms-pistol,20),
    ]),
      ("lightinf",[
#  Light infantry, (voltiguer or light company, not rifle)
          ],"The Light Infantryman who pefers the musket.",[
      (assign,"$background_answer_2",cb2_lightinf),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@As a {reg3?girl:boy} you often crawled on your belly through the Lord's game paddock,  silent and watchful.  You value your marksmanship, but even more you trust your ability to move unnoticed in any terrain^^\
Quite clearly, the life of a skirmisher is what you are made for..."),
      (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_athletics,1),
        (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_pathfinding,1),
#        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_firearms-longarm,60),
    ]),
    ("gunner",[
#  Artillery
        ],"The Gunners",[
    (assign,"$background_answer_2",cb2_gunner),
      (str_store_string,s13,"@{reg3?girl:boy}"),
    (str_store_string,s15,"@guncrew"),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@Until recently, you were a cabin-{s13}, virtually enslaved by the master of a merchant ship. The one thing you enjoyed - before swimming for shore one calm night - was the gun practice.  ^^\
You are drawn to the promise of a lifetime with the powerful slaying beasts of the Artillery, which you know you can master..."),
    (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_engineer,1),
    ]),
      ("hevcav",[
# Heavy Cavalry
          ],"The Heavy Cavalrymen",[
      (assign,"$background_answer_2",cb2_hevcav),
      (str_store_string,s12,"@The fine Dragoon uniforms are given a weight of deadly authority by the long, straight swords.  Their muscles bulge from hours building up the strength to wield the big blades.^^\
You know you will fit right in..."),
    (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_power_strike,1),
        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_one_handed_weapon,35),
        (troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_two_handed_weapon,25),
    ]),
      ("go_back",[],"The door - you wish to leave before it's too late!.",
      [(jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_2"),
        ]
      ),
    ]
  ),
#####################################################################################################################################################
#
  #
  #  charbuild 4 removed by schahkeira
  #

#
  #
  #  charbuild 4 removed by schahkeira
  #
#
  (
    "choose_skill",mnf_disable_all_keys,
    "{s12}^^ Thus, you become a soldier. ^^\
After some initial difficulties with military life you show yourself to be a cut above the rest and rapidly rise up to be a Sergeant. ^^\
At the beginning of the year 1811, your unit is relocated to a desolate village in the high plateau between Spain and Portugal...  After a few days, your Commanding Officer pulls you aside for 'a word'.  ^^\
It turns out that he needs your experience and steadiness for a tricky job.  An aristocratic junior officer, an Aide-de-Camp with no fighting experience, needs to be escorted to Headquarters... ^^\
'I can't send another officer, Sergeant - he will not abide being outranked, and none of the Lieutenants, let alone the {s14}, have the tact and experience to steer him.  You do.  You have done it these past six months with your own Lieutenant, and he's shaping up damn well thanks to it.  You can yessir and salute till you're blue in the face, and make sure your {s15} do what they ought to, regardless of his commands. ^^\
If you breathe a word of this to another soul you'll hang, by the way.  I have no right to give you these orders but let me make one thing clear: You have them, and I expect you to follow them, and bring this fine young sprig of the nobility to HQ.'",
    "none",
    [(assign,"$current_string_reg",10)],
    [
      ("begin_adventuring",[],"You salute formally. 'As you wish, Sir!'...",[
          (set_show_messages, 0),
#still no items generating...  whynot?

(try_begin),#1 french
(eq,"$background_answer_3",cb3_french),
(eq,"$background_type",cb_german),
(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_lightinf),
                        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_green_tourney_armor",0),
                            (troop_set_slot, "trp_player", slot_troop_renown, 90),
                            (call_script, "script_change_player_honor", 3),
                            (troop_add_gold, "trp_player", 100),
                        (else_try),#3  last trooptype
(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_line),
                        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_gold_tourney_armor",0),
                    (party_add_members, "p_main_party", "trp_watchman", 15),
                            (call_script, "script_change_player_honor", 2),
(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_grenadier),
                        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_red_tourney_helmet",0),
                            (troop_set_slot, "trp_player", slot_troop_renown, 100),
                          (else_try),#3
(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_chasseur),
                        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_blue_tourney_helmet",0),
                            (troop_set_slot, "trp_player", slot_troop_renown, 110),
(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_lancer),

#          french german heavy cavalry
(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_hevcav),
(troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_green_tourney_helmet",0),
(else_try),#2    nationality
#          french spanish choices
(eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish),
(eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish), (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_grenadier),
(eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish),  (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_chasseur),
(eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish), (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_lancer),

(else_try),#2            french polish choices
        (eq,"$background_type",cb_polish),

(eq,"$background_type",cb_polish),(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_line),
        (eq,"$background_type",cb_polish), (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_grenadier),
        (eq,"$background_type",cb_polish), (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_chasseur),
        (eq,"$background_type",cb_polish),  (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_lancer),
        (eq,"$background_type",cb_polish),

(eq,"$background_type",cb_french),

(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_lancer),
        (eq,"$background_type",cb_french),        (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_hevcav),

(else_try),
      (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_gunner), #(eq,"$background_type",cb_french),#2    french artillery
        (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_leadership,1),
    (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_nordic_helmet",0),
                  (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_leather_jacket",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_leather_boots",imod_ragged),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_fur_hat",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_staff",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_hunting_crossbow",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_bolts",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_saddle_horse",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_sumpter_horse",0),
          (party_set_faction,"p_main_party","fac_culture_1"),
          (party_add_members, "p_main_party", "trp_farmer", 15),
        (call_script, "script_change_player_honor", 4),

#all pro frenchness before here
          #all anti frenchness after here.

(else_try),#1 antifrench

#all pro frenchness before here
          #all anti frenchness after here.

(else_try),#1 antifrench

(else_try),#

#          english spanish rifle infantry cazadores
              (eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish),(eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_rifle),

(else_try),#3  last trooptype  english spanish heavy infantry
              (eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish), (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_grenadier),

#          english spanish light cavalry
              (eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish), (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_chasseur),

#          english spanish medium cavalry
              (eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish),  (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_lancer),

#          english spanish heavy cavalry
        (eq,"$background_type",cb_spanish),      (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_hevcav),

#          english english choices
        (eq,"$background_type",cb_english),

(else_try),#3  trooptype
          #          english english rifle infantry
    (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_rifle),
            (else_try),#3  trooptype
#          english english line infantry
            (else_try),#3  trooptype
#          english english heavy infantry
              (else_try),#3  trooptype
#          english english light cavalry
            (else_try),#3  trooptype
#          english english heavy cavalry

(else_try),#2  last nationality
#          scottish english choices 
#          #light infantry

#            rifle infantry
      (eq,"$background_answer_2",cb2_rifle),

#          line infantry
        (else_try),#3  trooptype

#          heavy infantry
          (else_try),#3  trooptype
#          light cavalry

(else_try),#2              #brit artry
          (eq, "$background_answer_2",cb2_gunner),
                (troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_leadership,1),
                  (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_leather_jacket",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_leather_boots",imod_ragged),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_fur_hat",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_staff",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_hunting_crossbow",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_bolts",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_saddle_horse",0),
        (troop_add_item, "trp_player","itm_sumpter_horse",0),
          (party_set_faction,"p_main_party","fac_culture_1"),
####          adjust troop type accordingly for player type
          (party_add_members, "p_main_party", "trp_farmer", 3),
        (call_script, "script_change_player_honor", 4),
        (troop_add_gold, "trp_player", 1010),

(try_end),#1

(change_screen_return, 0),

(set_show_messages, 1),
        ]),
      ("go_back_dot",[],"Go back.",[
        (jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_character_1"),
        ]),
#
      ###########################  the end of Ammans and Schahkeiras stuff
#

as said, it still needs the correct items per trooptype, plus
instead of 15 watchmen, add 15 (gunners) or whatever the player will start with as their platoon.

Dain, I know we're starting with only british basic and french basic, but this script can either have extra stuff like polish and scottish deleted, or else just make the 'polish' choice deliver the same uniform and weapons as the 'french' choice.

That way, at least the player-characters are different, and if we ever get the full shebang for items&troops, it's easy to replace just them in the script.

Brainstorm for Generals.

My gorgeous wife is suggesting we use General-rank historical figures in place of the 'Kingdom heroes'.

For example, King Harlaus is replaced by Viscount Wellington of Talavera

For the brainstorm I'd suggest name, command if known, at least one peninsular battle they fought in.

eg
France
General Clausel - divisional commander at Salamanca

Britain
Lieutenant-General Stewart - commander of Light Cavalry at Talavera

also - some things, although in the module system, don't seem to work, like
(troop_raise_skill, "trp_player",skl_looting,1),
?

And I dreamt up the
(troop_raise_proficiency, "trp_player",wpt_firearm-longarm,30),

in the hope that there will be seperate proficiencies for longarm, pistol and artillery...

any thoughts on music?

add to module_triggers.  balance the regularity of food supply by making either very low amounts (eg, a unit of fish abundance 5 instead of 50) or very high prices, I'd suggest just slap a '0' on the back of every price in native...

############

#  comissariat function

#  Spanish Officers - 100 hrs
#  British Officers - 120 Hours
#  French officers - 150 hrs
#    (0.0, 0, 100.0, [], [
#                        (troop_add_merchandise,"spanish_captain",itm_horse_meat,0),
#                        (troop_ensure_inventory_space,"spanish_captain",15),
#                          ]),

#Senior NCO  ["grain",  food_quality(20)
#  alternates with Senior NCO ["flour",  food_quality(25)
#ensign ["dry_bread",  food_quality(25)
#cornet ["cabbages",food_quality(30)
#lieutenant ["apples",food_quality(35)
#captain ["horse_meat" food_quality(35)
#major ["bread", food_quality(40)
#Lt-Colonel ["smoked_fish", food_quality(50)
#colonel ["sausages",food_quality(50)
#Staff- ["chicken",food_quality(60)
#QMG Corps ["dried_meat", food_quality(70)
#Medical Corps ["cattle_meat", food_quality(80)
#Light Infantry ["pork", food_quality(70)
##*luxury/moraleboosting foodstuffs*
#Brigadier ["cheese",food_quality(40)
#Maj-general ["honey",food_quality(40)
#Lt-general ["butter",food_quality(40)
#looting/siege win
#french ["wine", food_quality(10)    and trigger desertion script as if unpaid?
#british ["ale", food_quality(10)

the point being that food was scarce for all armies, escpecially the French, and the Spanish would have the advantage of being local, so they could normally forage more efficiently.

Should the French have their relationship with ALL centres set to -20 or so? 

When the mist cleared, Reynier saw the other four divisions advancing in front, led by Thomas Picton's 3rd Division. He quickly withdrew the bulk of the II Corps, leaving 3,000 men of his right flank to hold off four divisions. William Grattan of the 88th Foot noted of the badly outnumbered French, "They never fought better. So rapidly did they fire that instead of returning their ramrods, they stuck them in the ground and continued to fight until overpowered by our men." Reynier admitted the loss of 760 men.

this suggests that French troops could fire just as rapidly as British, under the right circumstances (ie, desperation).
Maybe there should be some French units which can achieve firepower equal to that of British units?

Also, here is the Order of Battle for Albuehera, for lots of units present in the southern half of the peninsula in 1811, plus appropriate officers.  Note that Portuguese cavalry and artillery are incorporated with British units.

Marshal Sir William Beresford had been given the task of reconstructing the Portuguese army since February 1809.[1] He temporarily took command of General Rowland Hill's corps while Hill was recovering from illness,[2] and was granted overall command of the Allied army at Albuera by the Spanish generals, Joaquín Blake y Joyes and Francisco Castaños.[3]

[edit] British order of battle
British Army (Beresford)
Unit Commander Complement
2nd Division Maj-Gen William Stewart 
1st Brigade Lt-Col John Colborne 
1st Battalion, 3rd Regiment of Foot  755
2nd Battalion, 31st Regiment of Foot  418
2nd Battalion, 48th Regiment of Foot  452
2nd Battalion, 66th Regiment of Foot  441
Total of Brigade 2,066
2nd Brigade Maj-Gen Daniel Hoghton 
29th Regiment of Foot  507
1st Battalion, 48th Regiment of Foot  497
1st Battalion, 57th Regiment of Foot  647
Total of Brigade 1,651
3rd Brigade Lt-Col Alexander Abercrombie 
2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment of Foot  519
2nd Battalion, 34th Regiment of Foot  596
2nd Battalion, 39th Regiment of Foot  482
Total of Brigade 1,597
Divisional light troops 
3 companies, 5th Battalion, 60th Regiment of Foot  146
Total of Division 5,460
4th Division Maj-Gen Lowry Cole 
1st Brigade Lt-Col Sir William Myers 
1st Battalion, 7th Fusiliers  714
2nd Battalion, 7th Fusiliers  568
1st Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers  733
Total of Brigade 2,015
2nd Brigade Lt-Col James Kemmis 
One company each of 2/27th, 1/40th and 90th Foot  165
Total of Division 2,180
KGL brigade Maj-Gen Charles Alten 
1st Light Battalion  588
2nd Light Battalion  510
Total of Brigade 1,098
Cavalry Maj-Gen William Lumley 
3rd Dragoon Guards  374
4th Dragoon Guards  387
13th Light Dragoons  403
Total cavalry 1,164
Artillery Maj Alexander Dickson 
British batteries  255 men
2 batteries
KGL Batteries  292 men
2 batteries
Total artillery 547 men
4 batteries
Sources: Unless specified, numbers taken from Oman (1911, Appendix XV).

[edit] Portuguese order of battle
Portuguese Army (Beresford)
4th (British) Division Maj-Gen Lowry Cole 
Harvey's Brigade Brig-Gen William Harvey 
Two battalions, 11th Regiment  1,154
Two battalions, 23rd Regiment  1,201
1st Battalion, Lusitanian Legion  572
Total of Brigade 2,927
Hamilton's Division Maj-Gen John Hamilton 
2 battalions, 2nd Line  1,225
2 battalions, 4th Line  1,204
2 battalions, 4th Line  1,271
2 battalions, 10th Line  1,119
Total of Division 4,819
Collins's Brigade Col Richard Collins 
2 battalions, 5th Line  985
1 battalion, 5th Caçadores  400
Total of Brigade 1,385
Cavalry Col Loftus William Otway 
1st Regiment  327
7th Regiment  314
1 squadron, 5th Regiment  104
1 squadron, 8th Regiment  104
Total cavalry 849
Artillery Maj Alexander Dickson 
Portuguese batteries  221 men
2 batteries
Total artillery 221 men
2 batteries

[edit] Spanish order of battle
Spanish Armies
Blake's army Gen Joaquín Blake y Joyes 
Vanguard Division José de Lardizábal 2,398
3rd Division Gen Francisco Ballesteros 3,525
4th Division Gen José Zayas 4,882
Total infantry 10,805
Cavalry Loy 1,165
Artillery  103 men
1 battery
Castaños's Army Gen Francisco Castaños 
Carlos de España's Brigade Carlos de España 1,778
Cavalry Count Penne Villemur 721
Artillery  62 men
1 battery

[edit] French army
French Army (Soult)
V Corps Gen Jean-Baptiste Girard 
1st Division Gen Jean-Baptiste Girard 
34th Ligne  953
40th Ligne  812
64th Ligne  1,589
88th Ligne  899
Total of Division 4,253
2nd Division Gen Honoré Gazan 
21st Légère  788
100th Ligne  738
28th Légère  1,367
103rd Ligne  1,290
Total of Division 4,183
Total of Corps 8,437
Werlé's Brigade Brig-Gen François Werlé 
12th Légère  2,164
55th Ligne  1,815
58th Ligne  1,642
Total of Brigade 5,621
Godinot's Brigade Brig-Gen Nicolas Godinot 
16th Légère  1,673
51st Ligne  2,251
Total of Brigade 3,924
Grenadiers Réunis  1,033
Cavalry Lt-Gen Latour-Maubourg 
Briche's Brigade Brig-Gen André Briche 
2nd Hussars Col N Vinot 305
10th Hussars Col François de Laval 262
21st Chasseurs  256
Total brigade 823
Bron's Brigade Gen André François Bron 
4th Dragoons Col Pierre Joséph Farine 406
20th Dragoons Col N Corbineau 266
26th Dragoons Col N de Montelegier 421
Total brigade 1,093
Bouvier des Éclat's Brigade Brig-Gen Joseph Bouvier des Éclat 
14th Dragoons Col Denis Eloi Ludot 316
17th Dragoons Col Frédéric Auguste de Beurman 314
27th Dragoons Col Charles Lallemand 249
Total brigade 879
Unattached cavalry 
1st Vistula Uhlans  591
27th Chasseurs  431
4th Spanish Chasseurs  195
Total cavalry 4,012
Artillery Brig-Gen Charles Ruty 
V Corps batteries  618 men
Other Batteries  625 men
Total artillery 1,243 men
8 batteries[4]
Sources: Unless specified, numbers taken from Oman (1911, Appendix XVI).

Here's some Spanish Officers for 'heroes'.  Jose Imaz has been accused of treachery and of surrendering badajoz for a wagonlaod of coin \\, so he might well be a pro-french NPC option?

Spanish Army of Extremadura arrived in the vicinity with some 15,000 troops under the command of General Mendizabal. Soult's army, too small to surround Badajoz, was unable to prevent 3,000 of Mendizabal's men reinforcing the fortress and the remainder occupying the heights of San Cristóbal. This posed a major threat to the French, so Soult moved at once to engage. In the ensuing Battle of the Gebora the French inflicted 1,000 casualties on the Spanish field army and took 4,000 prisoners, at a cost to themselves of only 400 casualties. The remnants of Mendizabal's defeated army fled towards Badajoz or into Portugal.[12]

The garrison of Badajoz, ably commanded by General Rafael Menacho, initially put up strong resistance and by 3 March the French had made little progress against the powerful fortress. On that day however, Menacho was killed on the ramparts by a chance shot; command of the garrison fell to Brigadier José Imaz and the Spanish defence started to slacken.[13] The walls were finally breached on 10 March. Soult was anxious to press the siege since he had learned that Masséna, in command of a disintegrating army plagued by sickness, starvation and an unusually harsh Portuguese winter, had retreated from Portugal. Concerned that the British would now be free to send a contingent to relieve Badajoz, Soult sent a deputation into the town to demand the garrison's surrender. Imaz duly capitulated and the French took possession of the fortress on 11 March.[14]

On 12 March, news of Victor's defeat at the Battle of Barrosa reached Soult and he left Badajoz to return to Andalusia, anxious that the siege of Cádiz had been lifted. Reaching Seville on 20 March he was relieved to find that Victor's siege lines still held and Andalusia remained under French control.[15] Before his departure Soult had consolidated his gains in Extremadura by garrisoning Badajoz with 11,000 French troops under the command of Marshal Édouard Mortier.[16]

More Orders of Battle, sadly not so detailed as Albuhera.  (How many ways are there to spell that name?!

Busaco
OoB
Wellington had six British infantry divisions, the Light (Robert Craufurd), 1st (Brent Spencer), 2nd (Rowland Hill), 3rd (Thomas Picton), 4th (Lowry Cole) and 5th (James Leith). The latter three divisions each had a Portuguese brigade attached. In addition, there were several all-Portuguese units, a two-brigade infantry division under John Hamilton, and three independent brigades led by Denis Pack, Alexander Campbell and John Coleman. George DeGrey, John Slade, George Anson and Henry Fane led four British cavalry brigades, plus four regiments of Portuguese cavalry. In batteries of six guns apiece, there were six British (Ross RHA, Bull RHA, Thompson, Lawson, two unknown), two King's German Legion (Rettberg, Cleeves) and five Portuguese (Rozierres, Da Cunha Preto, Da Silva, Freira, Sousa) batteries under Edward Howorth. This was the first major battle of the Peninsular War in which units of the reconstituted Portuguese Army fought, and it served as a great morale boost to the inexperienced troops.

Masséna's army included the II Corps under Reynier, the VI Corps led by Ney, the VIII Corps under Maj-Gen Jean Andoche Junot and a cavalry reserve led by Maj-Gen Louis Pierre, Count Montbrun. The divisions of Pierre Merle and Etienne Heudelet made up Reynier's corps. Ney's corps had three divisions under Jean Marchand, Julien Mermet and Louis Loison. Junot had the divisions of Bertrand Clausel and Jean-Baptiste Solignac. Each French corps contained the standard brigade of light cavalry. Jean Baptiste Eblé, Masséna's artillery chief, commanded 112 guns.

Fuentes d Onoro
OoB
Masséna's army was organized into four corps and a cavalry reserve. Louis Loison's VI Corps had three divisions, led by Jean Marchand, Julien Mermet and Claude Ferey. In Jean Andoche Junot's VIII Corps, only Jean Solignac's division was present. Jean-Baptiste Drouet's IX Corps included the divisions of Nicholas Conroux and Claparede. Louis-Pierre Montbrun headed the cavalry reserve. A 1,700-man cavalry force, which included units from the Imperial Guard was also present at the battle under the command of Marshal Jean-Baptiste Bessières. The two divisions of Jean Reynier's II Corps hovered off to the northeast threatening Almeida.

Wellington commanded six infantry divisions, Charles Ashworth's independent Portuguese brigade and three cavalry brigades. Brent Spencer commanded the 1st Division, Thomas Picton the 3rd, William Houston the 7th and Robert Craufurd the Light Division. Stapleton Cotton commanded John Slade's and Frederick von Arentschildt's brigades of cavalry. Edward Howorth supervised four British (Ross RHA, Bull RHA, Lawson, Thompson) and four Portuguese (Arentschildt (2), Da Cunha, Rozierres) 6-gun batteries. William Erskine (5th Division), Alexander Campbell (6th Division) and 300 Portuguese cavalry under Count Barbacena were detached, facing the French II Corps.

Usagre, 25th May 1811
OoB
Lumley's force included Colonel George de Grey's brigade (3rd Prince of Wales Dragoon Guards, 4th Queen's Own Dragoons), the 13th Light Dragoons, + Portuguese cavalry under Colonel Loftus William Otway (1st and 7th Dragoons, plus elements of the 5th and 8th) and some Spanish cavalry led by Penne Villemur. There were 980 British, 1,000 Portuguese and 300 Spanish troopers present, plus Lefebure's RHA battery.[1]

Latour-Maubourg led two dragoon brigades under Brig-Gen Bron (4th, 20th and 26th Dragoons) and Brig-Gen Bouvier des Eclat (14th, 17th and 27th Dragoons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom