Looking for best defensive cities and castles in 3.8

Users who are viewing this thread

Articulo34 said:
Don´t forget Gunders Lodge. Just fill it with archers and watch the show if the AI is stupid enough to assault it with you inside.

EDIT: And it is quite easy to take if it´s defended by Fierdsvain troops.

It was first fief in my last game and withstood a 1k fierd marshal with ease and since that has gotten a mention I will include some other good ones
Talon Castle
Hrolfson Castle
Mobray Castle
Haringoth Castle
Seven Cross Keep

I am looking for an opinion: what if in each siege scene (probably except siege tower) multiple ladders will be replaced with one, but wider version (3 solder wide?)?

k0nr@d said:
I am looking for an opinion: what if in each siege scene (probably except siege tower) multiple ladders will be replaced with one, but wider version (3 solder wide?)?

Like the ramp?
It would make pathfinding much easiar for the AI but would make some places a bit easiar to defend as there would be only 1 entry point.
I say go for it, as with multiple ladders the AI dosen't use some of them so it will give a better peformance

It would also make fiefs that need siege towers to take the ideal spots to hole up and make a stand. Till now, the advantage the fiefs that needed just ladders had was that the enemies came one after the other making it easier to block them, so many players preferred to own those. If ladders turn to ramps, that advantage is lost and fiefs like Avendor, Rane, Walven, Haringoth etc. will definitely become better defending spots by comparison.

The answer isn't easy at all. It depends on the side you want to give an advantage. It'd be often an improvement if you'd only have to defend just a single hotspot, compared to a split defense. But it'd be also harder for the raiding party. I'd not go to jugde this generally, but place distinctive (don't know the correct term to use) siege scenes which are known to be very easy or very hard for one side or the other.

For example the famous Oregar and Poinsbruk (maybe also Rane) fiefs could be candidates for exceptionally easy to defend fiefs. Oregar, because it's still in the mind of all those gamers, and Poinsbruk/Rane, because they're target No.1 for all those Jatu and Mystmountain armies. On the other hand, the Fierdsvain cities were always known for their weak defense, so having only slight changes there wouldn't change the original idea how sieges should work in PoP.

Overall, yes, even if the ladder would be wide, exchanging two entry points for a wider single one would push the balance in siege battles in the direction of the defenders.

Maybe that just me, but walled fiefs supposed to protect defenders, be advantageous to them.

I am thinking about simple solution to solve issues with defending archers (when new ladders force them to draw melee weapon). We have had these ladders in POP already - how the siege looks like?

Well the changes with the new amount of ladders have made castles/towns with siege towers easiar to defend compared to having defend multiple ladders

One of the problems with defending archers is that when they die their replacements typically have to pass by the main melee area and they switch to melee when there and don't take up the preferred positions. This is always gonna be a problem.
I think sieges are just fine now easiar to attack and still possible to defend most castles/towns without too much bother still i'm not opposed to any changes the devs wish to make

k0nr@d said:

I'd say it would be better, now it's mostly a bugfest. Playable but still. They already act like morons in battle with new animations, in sieges they have pathfinding problems much more often and often ignore these new ladders completely, some scenes are just huge empty landscapes turned into siege scenes in last moments just to justify creation of huge and empty castle. It looks bad and incomplete.

This whole change in the first place... It's subjective but personally I haven't tired of original scenes at all. There are dozens of castles on the map, almost 20 cities, you hardly will see them all in one game if you will stop before full victory. And you'll just forget them before your next game in 6-12 months. If you'd want them to change then you'd want them change to something better, to improve. Instead they were changed into this.

Also it is bad for gameplay that player has unlimited ammunition. It's awkward since it actually gives you an option to stay as defensive archer as long as you like and doesn't take away ability to go in melee, but archery is so much stronger that player may discard this opportunity only through very strong effort to roleplay or something. I wouldn't suggest to remove it since it's an option, not mandatory feature but in practice it reduces defensive siege gameplay to machine gun fire. Just FYI. Maybe if players ammunition was replenished less frequently it would force him to go to help troops at choke point in melee but I don't know maybe it would be just irritating considering that troops will not give a F that he needs to pass to breach to help.

Serazu said:
noaheaven said:
hello. after look some of place i got confused. i am new and noob. what best 3 city and castle for defense. can you guys sorting out ? 1 2 3 ? castle and towns ? thank you very much. no need reason just from your experience. very good for first flief. thank you

Those fiefs next to the Laria forest are the optimal choices to start your kingdom (from north to south: Valorshield, Whitestag, Shieldstorm, Walven, Almerra), not because they are easily defendable once a legion of enemies comes knocking at your door (they aren't, though Almerra has a well deserved reputation as a nightmare for attackers), but because the Noldor have a tendency of chasing down enemy armies and, once a patrol battles such an army, all neighboring patrols join the fray, decimating the invaders.

sher said:
Rela Keep is best as first fief. It's a fortress (siege tower needed), very good for defense if anyone will attack which is unlikely since first fief is a storage for recruits. It controls majority of Empire territory, has Ethos and Janos close to it to sell loot and prisoners, retake them quickly if needed, Singal is more distant but has permanent ransom broker and excellent as second fief => all recruits will go there so it'll become unwanted target for any attack.

Third good fief is Shieldstorm Keep. It's not the best for defense but it's excellent for noldor hunting and you can load it with archers to repel attacks on two nearby fortresses Calendain and Walven castles - it'll be base for controlling second direction of attacks on Empire. Even if by some miracle this keep will fall it's easy to retake it or give away to vassal in time if you don't want to farm noldors anymore. In my current game some sarleon lord founded Griffons there - huge target mark for me to take it but usually I found some free chapter there like Falcons to not to be sorry to give away fief with gem chapter order and there will be bunch of CKO knights for noldors so it's not good to have CKO chapter there anyway. Rela Keep is ideal to have first CKO chapter.

Brew said:
noaheaven said:
hello. after look some of place i got confused. i am new and noob. what best 3 city and castle for defense. can you guys sorting out ? 1 2 3 ? castle and towns ? thank you very much. no need reason just from your experience. very good for first flief. thank you

Towns

Rane, Ishkoman and Poinsbruk
Janos, Ethos and Cez are also good but you need to use the stairs behind the entry points for best effect

Castles

Rela Keep(probably now the best defendable castle/town in the game)
Tuldar Fortress(it had a ladder added but is still very strong especially if use the stairs behind the entry points)
Dagon Castle(1 way in by ramp which can be held and there is a stairs behind for extra defence)

Also after reading what Serazu said, Whitestag is a great defensive castle use the stairs near the entry point for best defence.

Articulo34 said:
Brew said:
Castles

Rela Keep(probably now the best defendable castle/town in the game)
Tuldar Fortress(it had a ladder added but is still very strong especially if use the stairs behind the entry points)
Dagon Castle(1 way in by ramp which can be held and there is a stairs behind for extra defence)

Also after reading what Serazu said, Whitestag is a great defensive castle use the stairs near the entry point for best defence.
Don´t forget Gunders Lodge. Just fill it with archers and watch the show if the AI is stupid enough to assault it with you inside.

Brew said:
Articulo34 said:

It was first fief in my last game and withstood a 1k fierd marshal with ease and since that has gotten a mention I will include some other good ones
Talon Castle
Hrolfson Castle
Mobray Castle
Haringoth Castle
Seven Cross Keep

thank you guys for the answer. really help with noob like me. this mod really have huge aspect. even use your sorrounding faction as your shield. and you guys even give backround for each city/castle really apreciate it :shock:. have a nice day

sher said:
Also it is bad for gameplay that player has unlimited ammunition. It's awkward since it actually gives you an option to stay as defensive archer as long as you like and doesn't take away ability to go in melee, but archery is so much stronger that player may discard this opportunity only through very strong effort to roleplay or something. I wouldn't suggest to remove it since it's an option, not mandatory feature but in practice it reduces defensive siege gameplay to machine gun fire. Just FYI. Maybe if players ammunition was replenished less frequently it would force him to go to help troops at choke point in melee but I don't know maybe it would be just irritating considering that troops will don't give a F that he needs to pass to breach to help.

Imo melee in defensive sieges is horrible too many friendlies blocking you and you can get trapped or forced to jump off battlements to get by all the facehuggers.
I never had a problem with ammo in defensive sieges(before the change) as there was always a few corpses to loot and I would friendly fire an archer to steal his ammo if the need arose

Brew said:
Imo melee in defensive sieges is horrible too many friendlies blocking you...
Depending on the siege scene, that can be remedied by using the new overhead thrust animations that some polearms have. The Black Iron Spear works great in defensive sieges, as you can remain behind the first line of defenders and still get the enemy as they come over the walls. And it doesn´t matter how many troops are pressing your back as that animation cannot be interrupted from behind.

k0nr@d said:
I think that this would be a good solution for sieges! The attacking AI troops shouldn't get stuck that much with a single, but wider ladder. Meanwhile, the defenders will be able to hold a single entry point more effectively. With these changes (also, a single siege tower without additional ladders for the corresponding siege layouts), getting to the walls will be easier and more fluent than in prior versions, while defending will remain easier imo (as it should be), as the AI will have to hold a single (but wider) choke point. I would say go for it for 3.8.5, and we will see how it works out! :party:

P.S.: Sieges with the engine of Warband are optimal with single entry points, that's why native had a single ladder or a single siege tower everywhere. The only downpoint is that the AI can get stuck sometimes with a normal ladder (siege towers are always fine because they have a ramp). But if you would change those narrow ladders to wider ramps (a single one of course) that siege towers have, then this and the other problems that players stated in 3.8 will be solved imo more or less :fruity:

Wow, Sher Quila is really something. I actually liked this experience though strictly speaking it's bugs nest - almost all of my troops got stuck along this maze. But since I use mix of FH and EAC it didn't help D'Shar much - tons of snipers everywhere. It was funny to duel with Warriors on "streets" of this fortress, got knocked out during shooting and watched show as spectator. Weird but funny.

Articulo34 said:
Jellyfish_sammich said:
So the consensus is that the new scenes suck. How would I go about importing the old ones?
There should be a "Neuveau Dossier" folder within SceneObj folder. Just copy its content into SceneObj and replace as prompted.
That only changes standalone castles. Towns still have new creative siege scenes.

I think it was Avendor or Kelredan Castle, that had double walls basicalyl with defenders spawning inside.

Laria is impossible to defend though. It is man for man trading, even worse often, archers get aggroed instantly.

k0nr@d said:
I personally like to have the opportunity to enter the walls at different entry points as it is now. This is especially useful if you decide to head for the walls after some of your troops. With a single ladder, you would get stuck and wait forever to personally participate in the slaughter, while your troops ahead of you do the job (or die). I've had many occasions prior to 3.8 where I just stood bored on a ladder with an empty quiver wondering: "Now what?".
In 3.8 I've never experienced that problem as there is almost always a ladder less frequented than another, which lets you take action much faster.

Additionally, one would not only have to adjust the ladders, but also some of the castle walls merlons, as those might then be the bottleneck in the flow of attackers. Here is Muqaddas Pani as an example:

LVJ5b1H.jpg

In conclusion I'd rather leave sieges as they are right now.

Only thing missing is now that attackers have more freedom to attack, defenders have harder time positioning. I wish I could position troops beforehand so I can ensure my guys got into the towers, best vantage points etc.

Tuldar Fortress

Used to be alright on defence but with the new ladder its much harder
300 mid tier troops(garrison) and my army of 180 top tier verus 1700 d'shar
gave it 3 trys,
first time was KO'd right at the start,
second time tried to hold the entry points but was let down by terrible defensive archer performance,
third try was much better as I held the stairs but buildings stopped my archers from working properly and I spent ages moving them around using command nearest to try and increase their efficency, in the end was helped by this guy who clogged up the dshar on the stairs and was heading for a win until I got KO'd

cHIXuxN.jpg

I'll call him Mr Beam :cool:
On the whole terrible defensive archer performance hampered further by the courtyard layout making it not a very good defensive castle at all

Done it on fourth attempt, I pulled all my men off the front wall, set up infantry at base of stairs, archers and companions on far wall that looks into the courtyard and used command nearest to get some archers set up in the courtyard.
Took about 120 loses and +150 wounded, the whole dshar marshal stack wiped out in one battle, Boadice got 68 kills and most of my companions gained a level and also got 160 renown, I got KO'd when I went into melee as I had no infantry left and got headshot almost instantly :roll:

YZSQpCG.jpg

Post to bring in forward as I am reviewing sieges now and there is a lot of valuable observations in this thread.  If would be good to stick it for a moment.

k0nr@d said:
Post to bring in forward as I am reviewing sieges now and there is a lot of valuable observations in this thread.  If would be good to stick it for a moment.

Just my 2 cents here : Walven castle has an amazing design and resemble an actual castle (which name I forgot), allowing the use of many good defensive strategies => this is awesome  :mrgreen:

On the other hand, some "castles" like Maras feel like temporary, badly designed army forts screaming "take me, taaake meeee!!!". It doesn't feel rewarding at all to take it and it is impossible to hold it meaning that the interest of the player for it greatly decrease.  :sad:

Back
Top Bottom