Living Steamroller - A Cavalry Strategy for Floris 2.53

Users who are viewing this thread

winrehs007 said:
When Roman Warfare is in for discussion, the first thing that comes out in my mind is "LOGISTICS":cool:

Hm... good call, that.

winrehs007 said:
True, the most complex formation I did was the Cannae Tactic and Strong Right/Left Flank. That's it.  :lol:

As in "In short, Roman tactics were non-existent at Cannae. The Roman force acted with brute force, charging at its dangerously clever opponent like a bull"?

Or are you referring to the Carthaginians' tactics for that battle? If so, that's pretty darned good M&B commanding in my book!

Hanakoganei said:
Well, their soldiers were trained in some complex infantry tactics, including well-timed executions of some maneuvers that require quite a lot of discipline. /snip/

I always thought the Japanese love of glory over life rather crazy. Were the Romans like that too?

But no, rereading your post, I guess you're saying that the Romans were also prone to committing their forces perhaps a little too heavily. Perhaps they focussed too much on grand strategy and valued the individual soldier's life too little?

Hanakoganei said:
I'm editing a few videos using annoying cavalry tactics. Might help you guys see how I do the whole multiple-group battlefield management thing.

Yup, am really looking forward to these!

Ghgl said:
How big are your battle sizes guys?

My rig can only handle 200, and that's pushing it a little. :sad:

DaElf said:
Ha, I think that might result in me being removed from this Forum, and scarring worse than you could get from any M&B battle for the rest of you. :razz:

I was afraid of that. Knowing you.... >_>

DaElf said:
Despite your dodging the question, I think eastpaw probably guessed right with the air-breathing octopus comment! (which, by the way, is pretty damn awesome).
Hanakoganei said:
Octopi are pretty smart. 8D

Yeah, octopuses are apparently rather magnificent bastards! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAL0R5MbzdQ&feature=related

DaElf said:
Like I've said elsewhere, though, I guess you can play M&B as an RPG or an RTS, and this is reflected in how you conduct your battles. As an RPG, one might well be limited to my sort of 'set up tactics before hand, lead the action and let the others get on with it' tactic. I'm not sure which leads to more casualties, though; one can take quite a few of the enemy down when actually fighting, but the tactics are likely to be inferior overall. I guess it depends on personal preference. :smile:

One would imagine that the impact of complex tactics has to do with battle size. The more units there are in the field at one time, the more important tactics become and the less useful personal heroics get. That said, it seems we all have battle size set to more or less the same number.

Another thing that comes to mind is friendly troop composition. I like being a mounted tin-can with an oversized toothpick (and so do you too, I reckon :smile:), and the armies we typically employ are probably a lot hardier than the guerilla units Hanakopaedia favours. As you imply, charging in at the head of your troops can allow you to take out the most dangerous opponents right off the bat (plus it lets you feel GAR about yourself lol).

Also, one who utilizes mostly tougher elite troops will be fielding fewer units at one time, so there are only so many tentacly-tacticly things one can do or needs to do.

Hanakoganei said:
Yeah. I wish I could go up to 800 or something. Would be awesome and probably a lot harder to do my tactics stuff at that size, especially using or against a lot of cavalry. Could make for some epic battles though. I mean, if you have like 250 troops on the field (no more reinforcements) versus a big army of maybe 1200 (with one big wave of reinforcements), and you actually win even with heavy losses?! I would LOVE to try to take command of that battle!

We should scrape some money together to buy Hanakopaedia a supercomputer just to watch such a battle. lol

Hanakoganei said:
Actually I haven't really thought much about it because honestly I thought everybody played the way I did. I mean, not exactly the way I do, but I thought that everybody also micromanaged the battlefield.

Danged octopuses. :/

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMM4XYteqWI

Lololol!

Hanakoganei said:
I have a 6-core 3.3 GHz computer and 8 GB of RAM, running at a really low temperature... my fairly capable HD6850 ...
eastpaw said:
We should scrape some money together to buy Hanakopaedia a supercomputer just to watch such a battle. lol

*Eyes boggle* You mean that ISN'T a supercomputer?!

I'm afraid I'm stuck with my Quad Core 2.6GHz, 6GB RAM, HD4350, which means I have to turn graphics settings down :sad:

Oh, and my laptop can't even play Native :sad:

Hanakoganei said:
Yeah. I wish I could go up to 800 or something. Would be awesome and probably a lot harder to do my tactics stuff at that size, especially using or against a lot of cavalry. Could make for some epic battles though. I mean, if you have like 250 troops on the field (no more reinforcements) versus a big army of maybe 1200 (with one big wave of reinforcements), and you actually win even with heavy losses?! I would LOVE to try to take command of that battle!

I wonder how a Cavalry Steamroller army would do vs. Hanako's disciplined, tactical infantry armies in a battle of that size o_O

Hanakoganei said:
Octopi are pretty smart. 8D

Actually I haven't really thought much about it because honestly I thought everybody played the way I did. I mean, not exactly the way I do, but I thought that everybody also micromanaged the battlefield. It's not that hard to learn and it's certainly easier than learning to play an RTS.

I mean, this cavalry guide is pretty comprehensive, so I was in fact thinking it was written with micromanagement in mind lol. Because as we know, using the wrong strategy with cavalry against a strong formation is suicidal.

Evidently xD

Mmh, I'm fine with RTSs, but am hopeless on the rare occasions when I've attempted to micromanage a M&B battlefield. I guess it's a credit to the game that it can be played in such different ways, though. :razz:

I'm afraid that the guide was written with a warrior who enjoys getting stuck in with a few, but minimal, tactics to execute during a battle.

You're absolutely right that that can lead to a massacre for the horsey army. As you say, the guide is quite comprehensive, but mainly in tips for how to cope with negative situations and a pretty unnecessarily lengthy description of what to do normally.. but that's just me going over the top in an effort to avoid any confusion :grin:

The main reasons I use this strategy, though, are because: a) I like being in the thick of the action; b) I<3Cavalry; c) It's an effective strategy which takes some effort to get right, but doesn't require you to be constantly faffing around with the F-keys. :razz:

eastpaw said:
I always thought the Japanese love of glory over life rather crazy. Were the Romans like that too?

But no, rereading your post, I guess you're saying that the Romans were also prone to committing their forces perhaps a little too heavily. Perhaps they focussed too much on grand strategy and valued the individual soldier's life too little?

Was it not a strategy to wear down/tire the enemy's elite troops by throwing, effectively, fodder at them and then sending in the 'heavies', so to speak, once they would have an advantage in toe-to-toe conflict, thus allowing them to fight another day? An interesting, if immoral (/barbaric, and any other words you want to use) tactic.. was this only made possible by them constantly taking over new lands, and so getting a fresh supply of recruits/fodder as they went?

eastpaw said:
I was afraid of that. Knowing you.... >_>

*Creepy grin*  :twisted:

eastpaw said:
Yeah, octopuses are apparently rather magnificent bastards! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAL0R5MbzdQ&feature=related

That's pretty awesome, and imagine the number of orders an octopus could issue to different regiments at once :eek:

eastpaw said:
One would imagine that the impact of complex tactics has to do with battle size. The more units there are in the field at one time, the more important tactics become and the less useful personal heroics get. That said, it seems we all have battle size set to more or less the same number.

Another thing that comes to mind is friendly troop composition. I like being a mounted tin-can with an oversized toothpick (and so do you too, I reckon :smile:), and the armies we typically employ are probably a lot hardier than the guerilla units Hanakopaedia favours. As you imply, charging in at the head of your troops can allow you to take out the most dangerous opponents right off the bat (plus it lets you feel GAR about yourself lol).

Also, one who utilizes mostly tougher elite troops will be fielding fewer units at one time, so there are only so many tentacly-tacticly things one can do or needs to do.

That's true, but I'm wondering whether an army of Living Steamrollerness could still cope at a Battle Size in the 500+ area (not that you'd be able to field that many); the enemy could be more spread out and, given the greater number of troops on the field, there would be more troops (I'm thinking archers, really) to attack a Steamroller wedge at the same time. One wedge, no matter how large it is, can only be heading in one direction at once, after all. To improve the situation, you'd have to split in to multiple wedges, which proves your point, really, that at least more orders would be needed, even if the actual tactic remains the same.

I do, indeed, enjoy being a mobile lightning-conductor :razz: I guess, on paper at least, our way of fighting is more effective if there are some elite enemy forces; the player can KO them without them, inevitably, taking down the more 'guerilla'-y troops that Hanako employs. I wonder if that actually holds true in reality, though, or if Hanako, given his vantage points and 8 arms for issuing commands, can get rid of the enemy's elite troops with even less hassle. In the right circumstances, I think that that might easily be the case, actually.

You're absolutely right about needing fewer tactics with fewer troops on the field, and, at least in short battles, the elite units can pretty much look after themselves. However, in long battles, where a Hanako-style enemy has more troops (given that they cost less to maintain), I wonder if the elite band would end up losing; if you send enough low-ish tier troops at a high tier units then it will, eventually fall, after all. This is especially the case with our cavalry, who eventually get de-horsed and can then easily be surrounded by the enemy!

eastpaw said:
Danged octopuses. :/

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMM4XYteqWI

Lololol!

Ha, absolutely brilliant! xD

Oh the use of fodder, especially conscripts from conquered regions, was definitely a tactic that a lot of medieval armies used. Certainly the Romans did it. But it also felt like the commanders held their soldiers in low regard until they prove themselves somehow. That's probably why they sometimes leave their elite units near the back, often actually just there to protect the commander or for last-minute reinforcements, while other armies like the Greeks, Persians, Mongols, Japanese, etc., would almost always lead with their elite units except when performing a specific strategy (usually a feint).

I think what makes the game much harder to command when the battle size gets too big is the fact that we don't actually have any other officers in our army. In real life, an army is of course composed of smaller groups that compose bigger and bigger groups.
Modern: individual -> squad -> platoon -> company -> batallion -> regiment -> brigade -> division -> corps
What we lack is the ability to have each smaller group be led by its own officer, who should be able to make decisions based on the immediate situation. It's a lot to ask of the game of course, but that's why it becomes impossible to command 500 soldiers on the field on your side by yourself. You'll have to deal with your line and keep watching it so it doesn't break or get too thin before achieving your goal (and be ready with a backup plan in case it does), manually command your flankers, reserves/reinforcements, archer line, etc., which all could've been something that your captains/lieutenants/sergeants could've been briefed on or pre-configured to adhere to.

As it is, the game treats you as being just one small army (I guess in Native battle sizes like 100 this would be natural), and you answer to the marshal, who answers to the king, while the king is the real "commander" and you're just a captain.

Maybe some day somebody can develop some better AI that would allow maybe your companions to act like real officers or something. Adapting to situations, etc.

Meanwhile, lol octopi.  :twisted:

DaElf said:
Hanakoganei said:
I have a 6-core 3.3 GHz computer and 8 GB of RAM, running at a really low temperature... my fairly capable HD6850 ...

*Eyes boggle* You mean that ISN'T a supercomputer?!

Supercomputer!

supercomputer-1.jpg

DaElf said:
I wonder how a Cavalry Steamroller army would do vs. Hanako's disciplined, tactical infantry armies in a battle of that size o_O

There's only one way to find out.

Supercomputer!  :lol:

DaElf said:
I'm afraid that the guide was written with a warrior who enjoys getting stuck in with a few, but minimal, tactics to execute during a battle.

/snip/

The main reasons I use this strategy, though, are because: a) I like being in the thick of the action; b) I<3Cavalry; c) It's an effective strategy which takes some effort to get right, but doesn't require you to be constantly faffing around with the F-keys. :razz:

I tend to play like DaElf, I think. I'm definitely going to try the commander-on-hill route next character though.

DaElf said:
Was it not a strategy to wear down/tire the enemy's elite troops by throwing, effectively, fodder at them and then sending in the 'heavies', so to speak, once they would have an advantage in toe-to-toe conflict, thus allowing them to fight another day?

I would consider that a tactic instead. That said, the tactics must fit the strategy, and I think you've illustrated Hanakopaedia's point about the difference in mindset between the Romans/Japanese/Russians and the Mongols/Arabs.

DaElf said:
*Creepy grin*  :twisted:

Mommy. :sad:

DaElf said:
That's pretty awesome, and imagine the number of orders an octopus could issue to different regiments at once :eek:

Soon enough we'll have a video and won't need to just imagine. lol

DaElf said:
That's true, but I'm wondering whether an army of Living Steamrollerness could still cope at a Battle Size in the 500+ area (not that you'd be able to field that many); the enemy could be more spread out and, given the greater number of troops on the field, there would be more troops (I'm thinking archers, really) to attack a Steamroller wedge at the same time.

Hmm... assuming say 100 knights riding against maybe 1,000 archers with a 500-man upper limit, I'm thinking shiny pincushions. If on the other hand the steamroller-archer ratio were kept more reasonable, and if you could divide your cav into several separate formations targeting different parts of the enemy army (which is what you're suggesting), then why shouldn't the Living Steamroller work? Admittedly, casualties would be pretty bad if the archers focussed their fire though. Also, your LS tactics might have to be tweaked to accommodate (or take advantage of) multiple heavy cav groups.

Hmm... I wonder where diminishing returns on archer numbers kick in?

DaElf said:
I do, indeed, enjoy being a mobile lightning-conductor :razz: I guess, on paper at least, our way of fighting is more effective if there are some elite enemy forces; the player can KO them without them, inevitably, taking down the more 'guerilla'-y troops that Hanako employs. I wonder if that actually holds true in reality, though, or if Hanako, given his vantage points and 8 arms for issuing commands, can get rid of the enemy's elite troops with even less hassle. In the right circumstances, I think that that might easily be the case, actually.

IIRC, the Mongols crushed two separate and significantly larger armies of European knights in a matter of two days. A quick glance at Wikipedia suggests the battles of Legnica and Mohi.

That said, the Mongols were mounted skirmishers. Would guerilla footmen fare as well?

DaElf said:
You're absolutely right about needing fewer tactics with fewer troops on the field, and, at least in short battles, the elite units can pretty much look after themselves. However, in long battles, where a Hanako-style enemy has more troops (given that they cost less to maintain), I wonder if the elite band would end up losing; if you send enough low-ish tier troops at a high tier units then it will, eventually fall, after all.

Worse in real life, methinks, because real people and horses get fatigued, and physical damage is painful and draining.

Hanakoganei said:
I think what makes the game much harder to command when the battle size gets too big is the fact that we don't actually have any other officers in our army.

Excellent point!

Hanakoganei said:
Maybe some day somebody can develop some better AI that would allow maybe your companions to act like real officers or something. Adapting to situations, etc.

If the game is struggling to keep track of drones, it doesn't sound likely that it can be modified to add another AI layer that is both proactive and reactive, and which also communicates with the base AI. :sad: Nice dream though!

Hanakoganei said:

And initiate a coup d'etat.  :mrgreen:

I'd accept the odds of a coup d'etat as long as it can let me command a thousand troops more effectively for the battle that's right at hand. Unlikely my men would revolt against me anyway, since I take care of them. I remember their birthdays and always send them cards on all the holidays! D:

Except in the case of the arrogant English heavy horsemen, cavalry was often used as a flanker or routing force. That's why in chess, the "horse" moves in an L pattern and can move over other units. They can cut the front line off from its reinforcement, or attack the archers and prevent them from inflicting damage.

That said, I believe my highly mobile infantry units can handle large cavalry sizes because it's unlikely (especially for the AI) to flank us. However, it also means that I'll certainly take quite a few casualties as we move into position to cut their horsemen off from their reinforcement infantry, and also simultaneously close in with the archers to render them useless.

About my submod I was working on, it seems the Khergits have somehow been reduced to an unbelievably untactical force lol. They act like bandits now. Maybe even dumber than bandits because they pull back to regroup with their line, that suddenly decides to attack in scattered force. I fought a group of 400 from a few lords and took no casualties. None. Steppe or Desert Bandits manage to injure or kill a few of my men sometimes because they're smarter (lol). I didn't even have any heavy infantry or pikemen to stop their charge. I had my various infantry units set up in a \ _ / formation (each line is one group) and they just kept riding into the middle of that, only to get pelted with throwing knives, spears and arrows. Their lancers couldn't even hold their lances out and my guys were just dodging their jousting.

I'm not sure why Form AI isn't handling it better. If it were a bunch of pure cavalry deserters they'd at least try some tactics like holding first then trying to go around for a flanking maneuver. It won't work against us, but it's better than a stupid full charge right into an obvious catch-basin trap.

I may need to give them some infantry back. It's unrealistic but it may help to improve their AI in that aspect. Pity, because I really wanted to see a great pure infantry versus pure cavalry battle.

My play style against equal or larger forces (or at least forces that pose a threat, not like those 100 bandits >.>) is similar to Hanakopaedia.
However, I always look for a single high point on the map and base my strategy on that area.

The unfortunate thing is that mountains can't act as a funnel for troops so I can engage in a 300 style last stand-esque fight :sad:. they always force their horsies up the slopes.

Also could the Sun be modded/coded into a advantage/disadvantage feature? I personally find that every time I spawn, I faced directly against the sun. Granted it's not that much of a big deal but
walking up hill and suddenly having a full flare in your face would blind the front lines long enough for enemies to sweep through them and do some serious damage. Shooting uphill when the enemy has the sun at their back is pretty much impossible in real life too.

Btw, isn't there a pre-battle phase where you could go into the map and position your army/divisions exactly where you wanted them to be? I can't seem to enter that phase.
It would help loads when facing fast enemies or when we spawn relatively close to each other and I still need to manually command my guys into positions other then forward10/back10x2.

Lastly, I find that Mounted archers are a must have now in my army, they inflict minimal damage at their best, but holy cr*p do they mess up the enemies formation.(and I would like to think their morale too, either they are stuck in formation waiting for commands to march, or they disintegrate into a horde of raging targets.)

Ghgl said:
Btw, isn't there a pre-battle phase where you could go into the map and position your army/divisions exactly where you wanted them to be? I can't seem to enter that phase.
It would help loads when facing fast enemies or when we spawn relatively close to each other and I still need to manually command my guys into positions other then forward10/back10x2.

Pain in the @ss I would say, specially if you have a large army.  But this feature could really be a big help ( specially for me because I usually divide my Infantry ).

Yeah that actual pre-battle deployment phase requires WSE, but WSE doesn't support the newest Warband patch yet, and therefore also doesn't support Floris yet. Would be convenient to have that especially if you're going for a full cavalry army. I'd love to position horsemen at different tiers so that the chargers lead and the lighter cavalry follow.

Does the creator of WSE has a plan on releasing an update for 1.153? I've not read/heard an update regarding that matter.

Probably and only if he feels there wont be any more warband patches any time soon (since he has to redo everything, if a patch comes out).

Hanakoganei said:
Oh the use of fodder, especially conscripts from conquered regions, was definitely a tactic that a lot of medieval armies used. Certainly the Romans did it. But it also felt like the commanders held their soldiers in low regard until they prove themselves somehow. That's probably why they sometimes leave their elite units near the back, often actually just there to protect the commander or for last-minute reinforcements, while other armies like the Greeks, Persians, Mongols, Japanese, etc., would almost always lead with their elite units except when performing a specific strategy (usually a feint).

I guess you could theorise that it was a form of whittling down the natives of the lands they conquered; if they've died for the Romans they won't be around to fight back against the Romans if a rebellion starts up.

Hanakoganei said:
I think what makes the game much harder to command when the battle size gets too big is the fact that we don't actually have any other officers in our army. etc.

I agree, and actually thought, when I first saw it, that the PBOD 'Change Commander' option would tell a Companion to lead part of the army (using the AI) while I controlled the rest!

Hanakoganei said:
As it is, the game treats you as being just one small army (I guess in Native battle sizes like 100 this would be natural), and you answer to the marshal, who answers to the king, while the king is the real "commander" and you're just a captain.

A pretty rebellious captain, given that players rarely tend to stick by whatever silly tactic the Marshal is trying to employ :wink:

eastpaw said:
Supercomputer!

supercomputer-1.jpg

So, when's the Floris community getting one of these? :razz:

eastpaw said:
I tend to play like DaElf, I think. I'm definitely going to try the commander-on-hill route next character though.

I'll probably try it, too.. *adds it to the list of planned characters, gulps*

eastpaw said:
Hmm... assuming say 100 knights riding against maybe 1,000 archers with a 500-man upper limit, I'm thinking shiny pincushions. If on the other hand the steamroller-archer ratio were kept more reasonable, and if you could divide your cav into several separate formations targeting different parts of the enemy army (which is what you're suggesting), then why shouldn't the Living Steamroller work? Admittedly, casualties would be pretty bad if the archers focussed their fire though. Also, your LS tactics might have to be tweaked to accommodate (or take advantage of) multiple heavy cav groups.

Hmm... I wonder where diminishing returns on archer numbers kick in?

Yes, 100 knights would surely die in that situation, even with a lower upper-limit; it takes time to kill that many archers and the archers do manage to hurt the knights, or at least their horses slowly. Over a long battle, that would mean a lot of de-horsed cavalry, probably de-horsed in the midst of the enemy, and thus surrounded and dying pretty quickly.

I'd say you can have a 3:1 ratio against you before you start to take more than a few casualties, and the graph starts getting exponential the further away from that ratio you go. If you had multiple bands of them (optimised, I'd say 30 in each wedge), though, you could wreak absolute havoc, and the focused fire would be less of an issue, since, given the nature of the stampede, the enemy is completely incapacitated whilst a wedge is hitting. With that in mind, you could stagger each wedge to hit a different bit of the enemy at a different time, thus never letting the enemy have ALL their troops available to fire at once. Don't forget the Cavalry Archers, either; they're great at distracting the enemy from the wall(s) of pain approaching.

eastpaw said:
IIRC, the Mongols crushed two separate and significantly larger armies of European knights in a matter of two days. A quick glance at Wikipedia suggests the battles of Legnica and Mohi.

That said, the Mongols were mounted skirmishers. Would guerilla footmen fare as well?

Just read about the battles you suggested. Very interesting! I'm not sure that footmen would be as able to capitalise, though; the cavalry archers capitalised on their mobility to surround the pursuing army, whereas it would take footmen considerably longer. The use of smoke bombs was interesting, though, especially since, to my eyes at least, it would typically be a good tactic to use against the more organised army (in this case, the Mongols) in order to scupper their organisational and tactical advantage. In a Steamroller vs. footmen battle, especially with multiple wedge-charges, it could be used to completely disorientate the enemy, with the sounds of hooves pounding on the ground from all around them!

eastpaw said:
Worse in real life, methinks, because real people and horses get fatigued, and physical damage is painful and draining.

Very true.

Hanakoganei said:
I'd accept the odds of a coup d'etat as long as it can let me command a thousand troops more effectively for the battle that's right at hand. Unlikely my men would revolt against me anyway, since I take care of them. I remember their birthdays and always send them cards on all the holidays! D:

:lol: It would be interesting, though, to have an event which can fire when you have low morale where a part of your army will suddenly rebel and attack the rest of your army!

Hanakoganei said:
Except in the case of the arrogant English heavy horsemen, cavalry was often used as a flanker or routing force. That's why in chess, the "horse" moves in an L pattern and can move over other units. They can cut the front line off from its reinforcement, or attack the archers and prevent them from inflicting damage.

It sounds like I'm an arrogant English heavy horseman, then :wink: Although, given the disorganisation that the Cavalry Archers cause, I guess the Cavalry charge ends up as a sort of flanking manoeuvre, since the enemy's troops are in disarray and normally facing a different direction!

Hanakoganei said:
That said, I believe my highly mobile infantry units can handle large cavalry sizes because it's unlikely (especially for the AI) to flank us. However, it also means that I'll certainly take quite a few casualties as we move into position to cut their horsemen off from their reinforcement infantry, and also simultaneously close in with the archers to render them useless.

What if your enemy was purely horsemen, though, meaning that you couldn't separate them from any infantry? Would the existence of multiple cavalry charges make it much easier to flank you? Given the mobility of Cavalry units, they could, potentially, surround you on the battlefield and, with some careful coordination, charge through your ranks from all directions without getting caught up in each others' way.

Hanakoganei said:
About my submod I was working on, it seems the Khergits have somehow been reduced to an unbelievably untactical force lol. etc.

Interesting. I find that the Khergits in Floris sometimes just sit around and do nothing under the Formations AI. Could there be some problem where the AI doesn't know what to do when most of the forces are mounted?

Ghgl said:
Also could the Sun be modded/coded into a advantage/disadvantage feature? I personally find that every time I spawn, I faced directly against the sun. Granted it's not that much of a big deal but
walking up hill and suddenly having a full flare in your face would blind the front lines long enough for enemies to sweep through them and do some serious damage. Shooting uphill when the enemy has the sun at their back is pretty much impossible in real life too.

This would be interesting, perhaps determined by which army has the higher Tactics level, or perhaps which force is the most mobile, or a mixture of those 2 and some other things?

Ghgl said:

That would be a brilliant feature, both for field battles and sieges!

Ghgl said:
Lastly, I find that Mounted archers are a must have now in my army, they inflict minimal damage at their best, but holy cr*p do they mess up the enemies formation.(and I would like to think their morale too, either they are stuck in formation waiting for commands to march, or they disintegrate into a horde of raging targets.)

Yes, Cavalry Archers seem excellent at ruining whatever the enemy had planned on using as a formation/strategy. That said, I do find that they manage to kill quite a few troops themselves; the Black Widows have excellent proficiency, so perhaps they get a lot of headshots on the already-confused enemy. It makes them a great addition to an army, IMO, and perhaps they could even wipe out armies on their own! (Anyone tried this?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5A6Hbk9uKg

I thought this was in floris seeing as it contains PBOD. Kept trying to figure out how to do it...

Ghgl said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5A6Hbk9uKg

I thought this was in floris seeing as it contains PBOD. Kept trying to figure out how to do it...
Floris includes a prior version of PBOD (v0.92.x), while the deployment phase is in v0.95+ and requires the Warband Script Enhancer launcher, which is currently only for 1.143

Sad lol.

DaElf said:
Interesting. I find that the Khergits in Floris sometimes just sit around and do nothing under the Formations AI. Could there be some problem where the AI doesn't know what to do when most of the forces are mounted?
Yeah I think it takes a while for the script to go through each of the units and decide they're all one of two basic categories (horse archers and melee cavalry). I imagine at smaller battle sizes it wouldn't be so bad. Certainly in bigger battlefields they finally form a line or some other tactic, but only after a handful of them have already charged in mindlessly and died. It seems it takes quite a few seconds for them to try to come up with the tactic because there is always 100+ horsemen on their side.

I've tried editing a few of the lower tier troops to have no horse. I'm testing it all out right now.

DaElf said:
What if your enemy was purely horsemen, though, meaning that you couldn't separate them from any infantry?
Good point. I'm hoping to run into that situation though, because so far like I mentioned, the Khergits are acting like bandits. No real strategy and we're easily able to repel them. But if they were largely skirmishing horse archers (like I want the Khergits to be), for example, I imagine it would be quite an interesting battle to try to figure a tactic out for. Which was the reason I wanted to pit them against my versatile infantry units.

eastpaw said:
Guerrilla footmen against European knights? It depends on the tactics used I suppose. William Wallace, the legendary Scottish rebel leader, handled his guerrilla forces very well against the heavy horsemen of the English in his time. But without the proper tactics, you can imagine that footmen with no real military training would be slaughtered by heavy cavalry. The Europeans also did a lot of shock tactics, just using the intimidation of having a large number of heavily armored horsemen (or other intimidating units and machines) to break the enemy morale and cause the weaker of their soldiers to run. Hence, they often did frontal charges instead of flanking, because of the psychological aspect.

Lol, so much about my tactic "me smash you!". Only tactic I use is:
1.Nord infantry, few archers(marked as infantry, so they don't pop out)
2.Form ranks, tight as appropriate in the moment
3.Slowly advance, wait for enemy to charge
4.Take dane axe and kill everything that doesn't move.
I was thinking of using more advanced tactics, but this works fine and those poor soldiers showing me their backs are too tempting. So whatever I do, I somehow end up breaking skulls and chopping heads. But I could try some tactics when I'm bored.

That's a brilliant and effective strategy for Nords really. Frankly I imagine that's how the professional vikings fought, especially conquering areas that were known for having archers and cavalry around Europe. It's a great way to stop mounted archers and flankers too because the slow-moving shield wall allows your men to hold shields up in all directions, and the Nord shields are the most effective at this because of the width. One shielded guy can protect up to two more people beside him and a lot more behind him. That isn't even counting overlapping shields yet, which the Nords will surely do if you tell them to stand close enough.

This is why I have my archers marked as infantry. They can shoot in most cases and are protected very well. They aren't numerous, just few men I collected from villages/recruited form prisoners. Other Nord units manage to kill at range quite effectively, so they aren't needed at all.
I think that is the only tactic that makes sense. I also used shield wall. I stood behind my men, and finished everyone who penetrated wall. This was difficult to manage, as shield wall was penetrated on various places and was vulnerable to flanking.
I also have thought of wedge and square formation, but I'm not sure if infantry is able to form wedge.

Infantry can form wedge and can be quite effective for infantry if you're aggressive. I drive infantry wedges into archer lines from the sides, but you need fast flanking infantry for that to be effective. What I like about the formation is that the AI seems to put the guys with shields at the tip and the outside part (just like shield wall formation), so you can stuff a few archers into the wedge and they'll be fairly well protected as well. It works wonders for Nord and Sarranid formations that have throwing spears.

Naturally though it works best for cavalry, especially lancers.

Back
Top Bottom