Linebattling Tips and Tricks

Users who are viewing this thread

Hugonaut

Veteran
This idea just poped into my head and i thought it would be a good idea for a forum thread! Don't Give us your deepest darkest secret of success but just something small that you think really helps the line.

My Tip/trick is To foil and ruin officer aimers I usually take about 3 steps away from my line so all those people who are aiming at/for me are wasted shots. Both deterring fire from the line and making them waste valuable time and effort to kill me.

What is yours?

Hugonaut said:
I usually take about 3 steps away from my line so all those people who are aiming at/for me are wasted shots. Both deterring fire from the line and making them waste valuable time and effort to kill me.

What is yours?

Useful trick. Instead, when leading my regiment as far as regards shooting I usually make my men shoot at a regiment which is stooped, or is walking towards us in a column, otherwise all the bullets are going to be wasted. For charges, firstly I try to make them avoid the enemy shots then fire at will while spreading. In melee they shouldn't be fighting in anything more than 2 vs 1 , but try to surround the enemy and kill players from behind rather than focusing on single duels.

DanyEle said:
Hugonaut said:
I usually take about 3 steps away from my line so all those people who are aiming at/for me are wasted shots. Both deterring fire from the line and making them waste valuable time and effort to kill me.

What is yours?

Useful trick. Instead, when leading my regiment as far as regards shooting I usually make my men shoot at a regiment which is stooped, or is walking towards us in a column, otherwise all the bullets are going to be wasted. For charges, firstly I try to make them avoid the enemy shots then fire at will while spreading. In melee they shouldn't be fighting in anything more than 2 vs 1 , but try to surround the enemy and kill players from behind rather than focusing on single duels.
... That's so horrible, that's what one would do on public servers not in a freaking linebattle.

MaHuD said:
DanyEle said:
Hugonaut said:

What is yours?

... That's so horrible, that's what one would do on public servers not in a freaking linebattle.

Done that since the begining of time Mahud, always have done it and it still works.

For ambushing the best thing is to Crouch ... yes Crouch your line behind the top of a ridge on a hill, wait until someone tries to go over it or attempts to skirt around it and just jump over and scare the crap out of them with a volley point blank. As Light infantry we've managed to ambush the enemy artillery before it could set up ... funny times.

Light infantry is very mobile, use it to your advantage, never sit ontop of a hill always make sure where the cannons are you have a hill between you, cannons will hit the top and bounce off and it will take a few balls before they arch it over, by that time you can move anyway.

To avoid canon fire as stated above for line make sure there is always a hill between you and the cannon, lining up infront of a cannon is the stupidest thing you can do as a captain ... and i've seen it happen every single line battle.

At the start of line battles, get your men together quickly and form the column on the move, hopefuly when your half the map across the enemy are still getting together or are not moving out yet, in the first round this gives you a good lay of the land before anyone else and allows you to set up a position in preference to yourself.

The more time you waste at spawn the more time the enemy has to move, always make sure to tell your guys to form up at the same place every round no matter which way you are going.

Try to be clear on directions the most famous line i've heard is "That line over there" or "Next to that rock on the hill" ... dosn't help when your fighting 3-4 lines and there are about 70 rocks on about 7-8 hills.

MaHuD said:
DanyEle said:
Hugonaut said:

What is yours?

Yeah alright then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bENmA-wExhw&feature=plcp

Hm? That's an aggressive reform & charge. Only a few of the guys hold their fire and fire on the charge, but most fire in line. And they don't spread out.

Aggressive deployment. Another thing that i use often.  When i say " dispiegare" (=deploy) my men know they have to go either on my right side or my left side depending on where the person in front of him has gone. As soon as they are in position, they are free to fire. This must be trained to get it work though.

MaHuD said:
DanyEle said:
Hugonaut said:

What is yours?

I only use that in 1 vs 1 battles , especially against regiments ass kicking in melee.

MaHuD said:
Hm? That's an aggressive reform & charge. Only a few of the guys hold their fire and fire on the charge, but most fire in line. And they don't spread out.

I don't mean to be a duche or anything but I've used that more than enough times to know that it works with awesome results. Any regiment leader that has played with EU rules would know that.

The tactical benefit is that your line is spread out and being in the formation of being spread out are harder targets to hit. They get close and let loose a volley in super loose formation. destroying the whole line. Its a highly aggressive maneuver but if done right its deadly.

Did I ever say it was not smart to do?
In my opinion it goes against the very idea of a linebattle.
It looks rediculious, especially for 1 vs 1 regimental fights.

MaHuD said:
Did I ever say it was not smart to do?
In my opinion it goes against the very idea of a linebattle.
It looks rediculious, especially for 1 vs 1 regimental fights.

1v1 but who does 1v1? Might as well play with the strategic play of an amoeba.

Looks are worth about as much as rp'ers love it, the opinions of others (Apart from the admins) matters not when strategically you get the upper hand, As long as you keep to rules there is nothing against it apart from opinion.

I'm with MaHud on this one. If you want people to fight in line, you need rules. There is no competitive reason for ever fighting in line, so without the rule, no one will fight in a line.
It comes down to what you prefer. If you want people to fight in lines, you need rules. If that is not a concern, then there's no reason for those kind of rules, and people will maximize their competitiveness by spreading out because there's no reason to fight in lines.

Who does 1 V 1,  Stalker's 51st Yorkshire used to do it, and they where bloody good at it. I bet many regiments would like to do it more often, its just hard to organize these as normally a regiment A* want a private lb with regiment B* and regiment B* doesn't want a lb with them because they and their officers know that they will lose badly.  Also different aspects that makes us realize that we're just a bunch of un-civil-ish humans.

Tips for COs and NCOs, before you allow a fresh recruit or cadet into a line battle, make sure he knows which one of you is the officer, this saves a lot of time, you also wont get asked questions like "Which one is the officer, I thought its him * Random Skirm* so I formed up on his right as you've said.".. Yes, That could and it has happened before. Also, never divide lines by ranks, so for example 3 lines, 1 recruits-cadets, 2 Privates-regulars,3 fusseliers- Kingsmen, this will only make line 1 be terribly bad and very hard to lead..  also then lets just say line 3 will get shot down by two over lines and arty and there's your elite gone, its all up to the crazy experienced-ish and un-experienced members, round lost. 

For actual event tips and tricks.. well, never walk into a line that's your size and its also aiming straight at you, I followed that rule and my lines where pretty beastly. :smile: 

bartekbaree said:
Who does 1 V 1,  Stalker's 51st Yorkshire used to do it, and they where bloody good at it. I bet many regiments would like to do it more often, its just hard to organize these as normally a regiment A* want a private lb with regiment B* and regiment B* doesn't want a lb with them because they and their officers know that they will lose badly.  Also different aspects that makes us realize that we're just a bunch of un-civil-ish humans.

Tips for COs and NCOs, before you allow a fresh recruit or cadet into a line battle, make sure he knows which one of you is the officer, this saves a lot of time, you also wont get asked questions like "Which one is the officer, I thought its him * Random Skirm* so I formed up on his right as you've said.".. Yes, That could and it has happened before. Also, never divide lines by ranks, so for example 3 lines, 1 recruits-cadets, 2 Privates-regulars,3 fusseliers- Kingsmen, this will only make line 1 be terribly bad and very hard to lead..  also then lets just say line 3 will get shot down by two over lines and arty and there's your elite gone, its all up to the crazy experienced-ish and un-experienced members, round lost. 

For actual event tips and tricks.. well, never walk into a line that's your size and its also aiming straight at you, I followed that rule and my lines where pretty beastly. :smile:

Lol I love the last bit the most, we've wondered infront of full lines before no problem with that at all, the posibility of being hit on the move is always pretty slim ... depending on distance anyway, but we've been point blank to a friendly line and they all missed ... Crusader will back me up on that one.

Also keeping your lines together is recommended anyway, if your oponent is doing it then divide and conquer. It as a really simple tactic of mobbing the smallest line first that way you always have a numbers advantage.

Also faith in Humanity being kind spirited and good is always at a low, there are no nice people per-say more of people gunning for themselves and what they want, never expect anyone to give a damn about you or what you think ... afterall thats what an opinon is.

Kator Viridian said:
bartekbaree said:

Lol I love the last bit the most, we've wondered infront of full lines before no problem with that at all, the posibility of being hit on the move is always pretty slim ... depending on distance anyway, but we've been point blank to a friendly line and they all missed ... Crusader will back me up on that one.

Also keeping your lines together is recommended anyway, if your oponent is doing it then divide and conquer. It as a really simple tactic of mobbing the smallest line first that way you always have a numbers advantage.

Also faith in Humanity being kind spirited and good is always at a low, there are no nice people per-say more of people gunning for themselves and what they want, never expect anyone to give a damn about you or what you think ... afterall thats what an opinon is.

Ye, it used to be that when charging or walking into a line that is aiming straight at you got you some deaths but you're line was still in good shape, however it seems like now'er days this kills 3/4 of your line, well it's what I've noticed in the past few linebattles I've been in.

for the diving in more then one lines was just for the bigger 50-150 regiments, most of the time when they're in a Private 1v1 lb or normal event they have to divide them self's in more then 1 line to make it a bit more fair. And I like the sound of mobbing the smallest line first, simple logic with great results. :razz:

Well, a bit of my poor knowledge:

-If you are in the middle of the line turn sideways, or spin generally while reloading. In my experience it makes you harder to  hit

-Don't rambo as first into meele if you are bad at blocking.

-Look up the sky for cannonballs!

-Do what you are ordered to do. Reloading in a charge, firing without order or running out of formation will only get you killed or weaken your regiment.

-Don't chat. Even if you want to.

-Don't be blind! If your commander uses the spyglass he won't see cavalry coming from the side, cannonballs from the sky or skrimishers on the mountains.

Hope that helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom