Italy at War Equipment and 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes the late 14th century it will be, but in the other thread with the poll, it is 22 votes to both 1300 and 1400. So it might turn around, but I will might just thake the late 14th century anyway.

Rath0s said:
Yes the late 14th century it will be, but in the other thread with the poll, it is 22 votes to both 1300 and 1400. So it might turn around, but I will might just thake the late 14th century anyway.

...and 18 for 1500.  I think you should just call it ~1400 and go with it, 'cause the team's pretty much agreed on that, and done some research etc. (and made some models- prematurely, it would seem  :lol:)

Hope is a good spot to post these...and that modelers/texturers of the mod find them of use...

Where I found this, the guy who forged it said it was mostly out of nowhere, so this has no historical dignity...looks nice though  :lol:

I'm not sure to remember corectly, but this one should be end of 14th century, so would fit perfectly the timeframe
Too bad I can't find a picture with it closed, or a different angle, but this one is the best looking in my opinion. Problem is it takes some guessing to model it  :neutral:
All except one are modern replicas from artwork or inscriptions...I tried to pick only the none-pigface/hounkskull since those where more common and are easier to find, both in pictures and already modeled and textured if one so wish...as this silly picture shows   :lol:
But also some nice variation on them...hope it helps

Hey there! Nice choice of kit to make for the mod. Just thought I'd pipe up a little on the names though.

The weapon you have in the first post, you call 'Some form of shortsword' Is, in fact, a ballok dagger. The name is where we get 'bollocks' from, as the shape is rather similar to testicles.

The facemask helm is an early style of greathelm, also known as a Topfhelm.

The pickaxe is a war hammer. Where people get this idea of a war hammer being a big hammer, from, I really don't know. It's utter balloks (See what I did there? :lol:) A war hammer had the spiked tip, and often a flanged head on the main side, for crushing armour, as seen in your picture. A big hammer would be useless in combat, as it spreads the force of the blow over a large area.

You did manage to mix up sallets, barbutes and bascinets quite often, as well, but my tea's ready, so I'll leave it at that for now. PM me if you want a hand for later though, I'm always happy to lend a hand when it comes to armour.

Regards,
Qwertypolk

Thanks for the info, I was really tired the night I put up that list, so I might have blended the names sallet and barbuta, also I forgot it was called warhammer, so I just wrote pickaxe, since I was to lazy to fix it.  :roll:

There will be a new list, because of the change in era, from 1257 to 1380.

Aye, we'll make it as accurate as possible.  Some of the earlier posts were a bit random, but now that we have a date, we'll do our best to avoid any anachronisms.  I even kind of like the idea of including Civ-style wikis on the items and troops...  Depends how ambitious this mod gets, I suppose, and what direction Rath0s decides to take it.

May I suggest, Rath0s, that factions and troop trees be done before any definite list of equipment be compiled?  That way our researchers can have some focus, and we'll not end up with a bunch of references for equipment from the wrong time periods, or regions.

You have researchers? I consider myself quite an expert on arms and armour of the early 11th century to the late 15th/early 16th, if you're interested in recruiting another.

We would, of course, have to negotiate a salary. I'd accept £0 for my first few weeks, but I'd like for it to double every day after that  :wink:

Here's some helm sketches that I bumped into a while back.  A bit earlier than 14th century equipment obviously, but I figure it can never hurt to have too many pics  :grin:

yelmo20.jpg

yelmo1.jpg

yelmo2.jpg

yelmo4.jpg

yelmo5.jpg

yelmo7.jpg

yelmo8.jpg

yelmo9.jpg

yelmo11.jpg

yelmo14.jpg

yelmo16.jpg

yelmo17.jpg

yelmo18.jpg

yelmo19.jpg

yelmo3.jpg

Gaxleep said:
Rath0s said:
This helm is a must have for Sicilian norman knights.

yelmo11.jpg

http://spqr.se/web_eng/medeval_helm_12.shtml

Yep, historically accurate and quite cool :smile:

It would certinly be historically accurate if the mod was set in 1200... I'm not so sure about 1380.  I honestly hope so, 'cause I been a chafin' to make some of that Norman gear.  But I would be inclined to think the bascinet would have replaced that style long before 1380.  200 years is a big chunk of time when you're talking about the evolution of armour, and the 14th century in particular saw huge changes in war gear. 

I also think we can rule out having any form of topfhelm/early greathelm in this mod.  Greathelms in this era would have of the Pembridge and sugarloaf styles (at least I think those styles were contemporary- correct me if I'm wrong). 

Well, the helm does not have to be on a troops, but I have always wanted to wear that helmet in m&b, and would be even better if you made it.  :wink:

You are the expert armor modeler and I do weapons and shields, armors and helmets are not my thing.  :roll:

Rath0s said:
Well, the helm does not have to be on a troops, but I have always wanted to wear that helmet in m&b, and would be even better if you made it.  :wink:

You are the expert armor modeler and I do weapons and shields, armors and helmets are not my thing.  :roll:

Well, maybe we could place antique armour and weapons on the walls in the castles of the lords of the appropriate regions.  So you conquer a castle in Sicily, and you can loot unique items from the lord's hall...

Back
Top Bottom