It would be nice if unhorsing a foe gave an exp bonus

Users who are viewing this thread

bryce777

Count
Well, we all know that horsed foes are generally speaking tougher than footmen.  Partially to balance this, and partially because most of the time once they lose their horse they're finished, I think it would be nice if the character (or whoever unhorses them) gets 50% extra experience points for unhorsing a horseman. 

So, if the normal exp award is 100 points for a hypothetical horseman, if you killed him while mounted you would get 150 points.  If you unhorsed him and marnid or whoever then killed him, you would get 50 and he would get 100.

But it feels very cool to kill them both with one  hit  :roll:
btw: I have another suggestion a horse should be able to get knocked down too (you knock it down and the rider falls from the horse, the horse stands up and runs away.

bryce777 said:
If you killed both at once, you would still get the bonus - because horsemen are tougher than footman.
*grin*  To be honest, I was just plugging the idea of separate hitboxes, which I want.  Still, killing both is relatively easy with a lance or a high powerstrike SoW or bardiche. 

I can kill both in one hit from a plain "Sword" (24 slashing) with my uber 1-handed character :}

Merentha said:
bryce777 said:
If you killed both at once, you would still get the bonus - because horsemen are tougher than footman.
*grin*  To be honest, I was just plugging the idea of separate hitboxes, which I want.  Still, killing both is relatively easy with a lance or a high powerstrike SoW or bardiche. 

Ok, I was not sure what youw ere saying.

What I think is stupid is when you blog a hit with a shield, but somehow it hits your horse!

I thinkt he unrealistic hitboxes are my biggest complaint in the game, aside form the general lack of any ending or progress int he war....

Very interesting and unique idea, I must say. Although, it is way to tempting to kill everything rather than just the rider, so that when the battle is over, the carnage is complete.  :twisted:

Hmm...maybe if not only were hitboxes separated, but the amount of horses you got as loot tied to the number of horsey kills you and your men had.  Not directly, obviously, but if you kill all the horses, you should get absolutely no horses as loot. 

This has my vote. Playing as a twohander axeman I usually aimed to cut the horse from under the rider. He's catapulted behind me into my waiting mob of troops and they handle him while I take out the next one. They get plenty of kills but I feel I should get some exp for taking out the horses.

Not much, but some.

Maelith.

As of now, couched lance either kill (unconscious counted as kill) or don't (do partial damage), but can't unhorse the rider without killing the horse (and the rider). Jousting lance should either knock the rider unconscious or unhorse rider for a direct hit and do partial (smaller) damage for a non-direct hit, especially when rider is heavily armored or manage to block/deflect with shield (receive a non-direct hit).

It should be separated into 2-3 sets of (experience point) reward:

- Kill the rider (or both rider and horse): normal exp point based on the rider's level as in the game now.

- Kill the horse only: small amount of exp (maybe 1/5 to 1/3 of the normal exp reward or based on type of horse). Does not count if kill both rider and horse. Currently, there is no reward for killing horse with rider.

- Unhorse rider (without killing the rider or horse): more or less the same reward as killing the horse only. Currently, it can't be done.

I think foot soldier should get more reward than mounted soldier.

Currently, I think killing the horse with a range weapon is much easier than killing the rider, especially when he has a shield. It kinds of the same cheesy shoot-his-foot against enemy with shield.

I like SPD Phoenix's suggestion how should horse exp be implemented. Only thing that i don't totally agree with is unhorse rider and get exp but that doesn't matter now that much as you can't unhorse rider with out killing horse.

SPD_Phoenix said:
As of now, couched lance either kill (unconscious counted as kill) or don't (do partial damage), but can't unhorse the rider without killing the horse (and the rider).

Are you absolutely sure about that?

I think he means if you want to separate the enemy rider from the horse, you have to:
A) Kill the horse
or
B) Kill the rider

bryce777 said:
Merentha said:
bryce777 said:

Ok, I was not sure what youw ere saying.

What I think is stupid is when you blog a hit with a shield, but somehow it hits your horse!

I thinkt he unrealistic hitboxes are my biggest complaint in the game, aside form the general lack of any ending or progress int he war....

I would have to say that I agree regarding the hitbox argument, and my mind would forever be troubled, even though armagan decided to keep it the way it is now ::*( He did say that possibly there is possibly a slight chance that a toggle option would be introduced, so a ray of hope still yet remains ::smile:

As for the EXP, although I don't see any major problem with this suggestion, I just personally prefer to make horses behave more realistically, so it would make more sense for the player or AI to kill them in order to make things easier for themselves - not for EXP - seeing how EXP is exerience, and is normally aquired with time and battles, while horses can't really fight back at the moment (so its same as chopping a tree).. On the other hand, you would improve in your sword skills by chopping a tree, or a wooden dummy up to a certain extent - so the only thing I can see this working out is to allow for your SKILLS to be raised from hitting a horse, and maybe give XP up to a certain level? Just wouldn't really seem right if a veteran knight who went through 10 years fighting, and is taking on another veteran of similar experience, still improves in any way from stabbing or chopping a horse (or from chopping up his slaves etc. same thing).. If you guys know what I mean ::razz:

Volkier said:
As for the EXP, although I don't see any major problem with this suggestion, I just personally prefer to make horses behave more realistically, so it would make more sense for the player or AI to kill them in order to make things easier for themselves - not for EXP - seeing how EXP is exerience, and is normally aquired with time and battles, while horses can't really fight back at the moment (so its same as chopping a tree).. On the other hand, you would improve in your sword skills by chopping a tree, or a wooden dummy up to a certain extent - so the only thing I can see this working out is to allow for your SKILLS to be raised from hitting a horse, and maybe give XP up to a certain level? Just wouldn't really seem right if a veteran knight who went through 10 years fighting, and is taking on another veteran of similar experience, still improves in any way from stabbing or chopping a horse (or from chopping up his slaves etc. same thing).. If you guys know what I mean ::razz:

Chopping a tree headed towards you at full speed carrying a very dangerous and somewhat angry man and that knocks you over and deals charge damage.

Experience is an abstraction. People don't realistically get stronger and more agile from completing quests to effectively deliver mail, yet you get expereince for it. If you're at a high level the expereince gained from one horse isn't going to make much difference. However if you routinely take horses out, it all adds up.

Maelith.

Wouldn't that imply that you should get experience every time you slash something though?

And you also have to remember about personal experience.. someone new to the game, may not know how to effectively dispose of horses, but after fighting 10 battles, they found a way that works for them, and they use they therefore kill more people now that they are "more experienced"...

And people DO get more athletic and stronger if they carry boxes of mail around break-neck cliffs for a few weeks ::grin:

Like I said, there are two arguments to this - seeing as how it would make a little more sense if you gained experience by taking on opponents who you can actually learn from - and not a horse (or a peasant) who can't fight back at all ::\

It WOULD most certainly give you a LOT of experience when you just picked up a sword though, or are a peasant yourself ::grin:

jeansberg said:
I think he means if you want to separate the enemy rider from the horse, you have to:
A) Kill the horse
or
B) Kill the rider

I'm reasonably sure that's the complete opposite of what he was saying, but whatever.  It's quite easy to unhorse riders without killing the horse anyway.

Back
Top Bottom