Is it worth it to learn a new language?

Users who are viewing this thread

I only know one language but I'm not very good at using it yet. This means I won't have enough time to learn how to use a second language poorly.

German is one strange language to learn. Seriously why would anyone use different articles changing with different nouns? I'm still a starter at this but even this "der,das,die" case rips me off, i'm not even sure Germans know it all as well.
And btw, Turkish has interesting grammar and pronunciation if you are interested, and it's an Agglunatic language if i'm not mistaken.

My German teacher had no idea whether it was supposed to be "der, die or das". She always went "derdiedas gabel" or "derdiedas fûhrer", which led to much hilarity in class.

Imo exposure, even mild once-in-a-blue-moon exposure is more important than anything for learning and retaining a language. I took japanese as a side course so that I'd only have to do 12 essays per year - i didn't expect to remember much, but Japanese is absolutely everywhere, and i got into the annoying habit of reading every sign/tshirt/misguided tattoo i came across day-to-day.
The sheer amount of vocabulary and grammar always looks daunting at first, but over time you'll take the language for granted - far faster than if you get short bursts of enthusiasm but give up for months at a time.

Bound Sentinel said:
German is one strange language to learn. Seriously why would anyone use different articles changing with different nouns? I'm still a starter at this but even this "der,das,die" case rips me off, i'm not even sure Germans know it all as well.

Because grammatical gender is a pretty common feature among (not only) I-E languages. The Indo-European world is full of male, female and sometimes even hermaphrodite stuff.

Untitled: Wat, a person who can't assign gender to a word, shouldn't really be teaching the language.

Bound Sentinel said:
And btw, Turkish has interesting grammar and pronunciation if you are interested, and it's an Agg-lunatic language if i'm not mistaken.

Freudian slip?

New languages are completely useless, don't even bother. I never learned one and do just fine.
Bound Sentinel said:
And btw, Turkish has interesting grammar and pronunciation if you are interested, and it's an Agglunatic language if i'm not mistaken.
Most western languages have genders.

kurczak said:
Untitled: Wat, a person who can't assign gender to a word, shouldn't really be teaching the language.
I agree, I'm not really sure how she became a teacher in that subject, especially considering that it isn't as easy to become a teacher over here as in a bunch of other countries. But then again, we're sorely lacking in Swedish-speaking teachers and it's not that hard to pass the required stuff.

Back
Top Bottom