Is it possible to edit the appearance of NPCs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Leonion said:
Go away, you vile beggars.
There is significant difference between "begging" and "asking".
arduus said:
But I doubt he will :grin: 1zironka1 and I had a long chat history (check the former pages in 12th forum and you'll see), let me contact him.
Yeep, back in the original 12th theard eh ? Nice guy, haven't heard from him in along time, hope he's still active. :grin:

Carlos de Tonkin said:
There is significant difference between "begging" and "asking".
Yep, but writing to other mod devs and asking them if I can borrow their assets is what I would call begging.
When people want their stuff to be public, they release it as OSP. If they didn't do so, it means they don't feel like letting others use their creations, and writing to them and begging to share seems extremely impolite to me.

Leonion said:
Yep, but writing to other mod devs and asking them if I can borrow their assets is what I would call begging.
When people want their stuff to be public, they release it as OSP. If they didn't do so, it means they don't feel like letting others use their creations, and writing to them and begging to share seems extremely impolite to me.
First, if people didn't release stuffs as OSP, it isn't means they don't feel like letting others use their creatons, all you have to do is ask politely, if you are polite enough and your works interested them enough, they will give you their permission. Do you honestly think a huge number of M&B mods out there only rely on OSP alone ?
Second, You don't feel like sharing your works, fine, they are yours, I respect that, but please do not think every mod creators out there are acting and thinking the same way as you do. Most of them do like to share their works with the community.
Third, we didn't call you "mean" or "Mr. Huge Ego" as we "think" of you in public, so please, do not call us "beggars" as you "think " of us in public, keeping your personal thoughts to yourself sometime is a good thing.
Finally, I, personally, do not wish to continue this conversation further with you, so if you don't mind, please ignore me. This is my final comment in this theard. For the best of our interest and your, me and Arduus shall continue our conversation about "begging/asking" for permissions somewhere else.
Good day to you.

Carlos, don't judge Leonion harshly, he has a unique character and can sound impolite at times, but he doesn't mean ill. Let's forget about this whole conversation and focus on gathering material. Maybe I can improve my 3d skills meanwhile and contribute a few things too.

Carlos de Tonkin said:
Do you honestly think a huge number of M&B mods out there only rely on OSP alone ?
Yes.
This or dev's own work.
Well, plus there are amateur mod makers who "borrow" stuff without asking.

Carlos de Tonkin said:
Second, You don't feel like sharing your works, fine, they are yours, I respect that, but please do not think every mod creators out there are acting and thinking the same way as you do. Most of them do like to share their works with the community.
I do share stuff. I have a couple of my own OSPs which no-one uses.
Mod makers share their work, but usually in form of their own wholesome project, not piece by piece.
Take a look at Fallout 4 or Skyrim nexus or Sims mods. Most people release items, scripts and so on on conditions "no editing, no reposting, no combining, no using in other projects etc.". If there is one thing I learned reading mod descriptions and authors' permission is that most artists are very protective about their stuff. They don't want it changed or used someplace else, even if credits would be given.

I've also read plenty of stories on several communication/entertainment websites where people described certain life situations and other commented on them, discussed them.
Among them there was a bunch of stories about insolent family members and [ex-]friends. "Beggars" who act like "oh, hey brother, you bought a car, cool, can you now drive me to work every day to the other end of the city?" or "hey, remember that pile of gravel that was delivered to you? you won't mind if I take a couple dozens of buckets, will you?" or people who keep borrowing the same items from others for years instead of buying their own.
No-one likes them. Sometimes people are just too polite to refuse such a sudden, blatant and insolent request but inside they're shocked and offended.
You might say the situation is not the same - well, maybe. But to me it seems pretty much the same. A person is working on his own project, spending dozens if not hundreds of hours to put his ideas to life and then someone knocks on the door and "oh, what cool stuff you have here! do you mind sharing it so that my project would be great too? I'm too lazy and/or incompetent to make my own, so please give me yours."
Those mod makers that don't want to be bothered with large projects and just feel like modelling/painting/coding something release their creations as OSP. Those who don't and work on their own project - well, clearly, they don't want to see their stuff that they spent hours creating in other projects, otherwise they would release it as OSP.

I don't agree with your point of view, Leonion, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But take Skyrim as an example, without skse, no one would be able to use skyui (and no one would be able to play Enderal), withou skyui no one would be able to configure most of the mods. Skyrim has a huge modding community, because people are open to share and contribute.

I don't expect everyone to be willing to share their creations, but most people like modding because they like to share. They don't do it because they want to get a praise or a medal. No one pays them in most cases, but they do it because they can contribute. (others do it to show they have skills, which doesn't seem weird to me, but it is harmful for the community nonetheless).

And in my opinion asking is not wrong or impolite, like you said the other day in Carlos' thread "don't re-invent the wheel". I also would like to end the conversation, I respect your point of view, but don't share it.

I'd once again like to point out the difference between "sharing the way a modder feels like sharing" and "'extended' sharing".
Naturally, many games only thrive because of plenty of great mods created and shared for free by community. I never denied that and doing that would be extremely stupid of me.
But all things are shared on particular terms. If it's a helmet released by a Warband modder, it's usually free for any usage (except commercial and as long as the author's credited), but if it's released by a Skyrim modder, the terms are usually "don't edit, don't reupload, don't include in larger packs" etc.
If a Warband developer releases a large mod, it's shared for others to play, not to tear apart.
Basically you're asking for "extended sharing". The author gave you a mod for free to play, but it's not enough, you want to have its assets too. You're asking for sort of special privileges. - which, btw, also reminds me of a bad habit of some people: after they're once given free stuff, they start asking for more and more of it. They might not even notice how their behavior changes from "oh thanks" to "can also give me this please?" to "what do you mean 'no', you greedy *******?", but it's what often happens. Please don't confuse people's particular altruistic actions with willingness to give away everything for free.
Or if we're to talk about Skyrim, a helmet is not enough for someone to wear in the game, they want to convert it to another game, include it into a big pack of items and publish on some other website.

Back
Top Bottom