I can't stand the american "dream".

Users who are viewing this thread

NordArcher

Sergeant at Arms
In english class we've been doing some american culture (as opposed to british culture in former classes) and i had to stand lots of "lol they have cool hummer limos" from the other kids (which i will call "The brainwashed mass" from now on), but so far it was ok, i'm getting used to The Brainwashed Mass when it comes to cars and ecology.

Then there was this paper talking about the end of suburbia. Man, how excited i was when i saw the title. "Finally something interesting, better than The Brainwashed Mass drooling over the fatlards' big houses", i thought. Then i read that piece of paper-shaped ****.

Basically the thing that wrotte that text started introducing the problems with suburbia, and how they're linked to the american dream. The word SUV shows up once. He says world's running outta oil and they're not going to be able to keep living with big houses, big cars, big hamburgers, far from their big cities where they work. So far it was good, "This guy is gonna give a solution to the problem, by telling people to go work nexxt to their workplaces, etc..." i thought althought the lack of the word "pollution" in a whole paragraph about oil burning made me have doubts.

Doubts confirmed. Last paragraph ends with "How are we going to prevent the end of Suburbia?". I felt like i could ragequit from human society at that moment. This text shows such a high level of egoïsm that i just... couldn't... ****ing.... STAND IT MOTHER****ING **** OVER 9000!!!! This wasn't my first reaction, at first i thought we were going to bash the autor of this text, that we would intellectually gangbang him. But no, our teacher is a consummerist ***** who dreams of living in suburbia, instead they said the text was "pessimistic" because the autor expressed his fear that OH NO SUBURBIA IS GONNA END APOCALYPSE D:.

I just ****ing hate the positive feelings people have towards this kind of system, people who decide to go "raise a family", stop working, get a big "family" car and go live in a huge climatized house 60km away from the place they have to go to work every morning and come back every night.

It's... despair. Nothing to do. I now secretly hope for the end of oil, for Earth to become a living hell, for all those dreams to vanish before the crude reality.

So, let's start an american dream bashing thread?

No need for an american dream bashing thread although I do sorta agree with you in not giving a crap about suburbs vanishing.

Why the daft subscripted letters though?

AWdeV said:
No need for an american dream bashing thread although I do sorta agree with you in not giving a crap about suburbs vanishing.

Why the daft subscripted letters though?

Opposite of capital letters.

NordArcher said:
I just ****ing hate the positive feelings people have towards this kind of system, people who decide to go "raise a family", stop working, get a big "family" car and go live in a huge climatized house 60km away from the place they have to go to work every morning and come back every night.

What? :???: That's on account of both the complete contradiction you have there, and where you assume raising a family isn't a job in of itself. I know plenty of people who gave up entire careers to raise children. My own mother was on track to be a doctor, to graduate from a highly esteemed university, until she met my dad in college and they decided to change their life plans for each other. She, and many others (not always women either), took time from themselves to ensure the next generation of people would be well prepared for life. And what's wrong with a "climatized" house? (Not a word, by the way.) If people can afford it, who are you or I to tell them they can't do what they want?

The traditional American dream involves doing whatever the **** you want. So piss off.

Also: 4 new replies? Seriously?

Oh god not one of these again, you do realize that most Americans dont give a **** about the "dream" anymore....we realized it was stupid a long time ago..

Oyipggy said:
NordArcher said:
I just ******** hate the positive feelings people have towards this kind of system, people who decide to go "raise a family", stop working, get a big "family" car and go live in a huge climatized house 60km away from the place they have to go to work every morning and come back every night.

What? :???: That's on account of both the complete contradiction you have there, and where you assume raising a family isn't a job in of itself. I know plenty of people who gave up entire careers to raise children. My own mother was on track to be a doctor, to graduate from a highly esteemed university, until she met my dad in college and they decided to change their life plans for each other. She, and many others (not always women either), took time from themselves to ensure the next generation of people would be well prepared for life. And what's wrong with a "climatized" house? (Not a word, by the way.) If people can afford it, who are you or I to tell them they can't do what they want?

The traditional American dream involves doing whatever the **** you want. So piss off.

Also: 4 new replies? Seriously?

Yeah, and they live with no money? No, the typical thing is a soccer mom who doesn't work and a guy who goes to work as i said. I forgot to mention half the couple still had to work, or they would starve to death.

Familyguy1 said:
Oh god not one of these again, you do realize that most Americans dont give a **** about the "dream" anymore....we realized it was stupid a long time ago..

Tell me why we still get stuffed with it? It's not about americans, it's about europeans and others who get that brainwashmaterial in the face all the time and it's depressing.

The American Dream was and is a fantastic thing. That piece of **** the OP read is most assuredly NOT the American Dream as I know it. Either way NordArcher is a troll, or oni, or whatever the **** the Norse version of the word would be. :razz:

As for what Oypiggy said, I feel I should add my own two cents that decided you should spend time at home to raise children, regardless of gender, is a good thing. My mother quit her job to raise me, and I'm grateful for the time she took out of her own to help me. If NA can't wrap his head around that I pity him.

And yet another pre-post edit: Double posting is cruise control for cool.

And yet another pre-post edit: Double posting is cruise control for cool.

Ambalon said:
Hyperion said:
I think it has to do with him not liking what the words represent much.
Yeah, I think that's it.
Seriously, NordArcher, I did that when I was 10.  :neutral:

Cool. When i get mad i do this kind of stuff instead of punching doors. I broke the fifth metacarp once for punching a door.

Ambalon said:
Hyperion said:
Yeah, I think that's it.
Exactly. Doesn't that explain everything?

Not to mention it makes absolutely no sense. The opposite of subscript is superscript, not capital letters. :???:

Also, just because you've already proven your lack of intelligence, acting like a cool hardass and making an American-bashing thread isn't going to redeem you.

gamerwiz09 said:
Ambalon said:
Hyperion said:
Yeah, I think that's it.

Not to mention it makes absolutely no sense. The opposite of subscript is superscript, not capital letters. :???:

Also, just because you've already proven your lack of intelligence, acting cool and making an American-bashing thread isn't going to redeem you.

And how is hating part of the culture most people in this forum are in contribute to making me cool? You don't seem very smart either.

NordArcher said:
gamerwiz09 said:
Ambalon said:
Hyperion said:
Yeah, I think that's it.

Also, just because you've already proven your lack of intelligence, acting cool and making an American-bashing thread isn't going to redeem you.

And how is hating part of the culture most people in this forum are in contribute to making me cool? You don't seem very smart either.
It would be easier to refute your inane statements if I knew what the **** you were saying.

NordArcher said:
Cool. When i get mad i do this kind of stuff instead of punching doors. I broke the fifth metacarp once for punching a door.
Or you could behave like a big boy and not go bat**** insane?  :neutral:

Ambalon said:
NordArcher said:
Or you could behave like a big boy and not go bat**** insane?  :neutral:

It's not about going bat**** insane. It's exactly to relieve the tension that one has to use violence. Stress builds up easily, thanks to my misophonia and this ****ty society where people are happy about things that don't make me happy, and when i broke my hand it wasn't because of some little ****. Well it was a little ****, like all ****s are, but not a little among little ****s, you know.

Actually, contrary to popular belief, "letting your anger out" in a physically violent manner is one of the worse hings to do. It's actually better to keep things bottled up.

NordArcher said:
Yeah, and they live with no money? No, the typical thing is a soccer mom who doesn't work and a guy who goes to work as i said. I forgot to mention half the couple still had to work, or they would starve to death.

Exactly what is the problem with that? Seriously, I don't see it. Just because they are able to live a comfortable lifestyle means that they're evil ****heads? Last time I checked that was the goal of life. Raising a child is a full time job. Cliche? Yes. True? Absolutely. Also please consider that many parents raise more than one.

You just sound like some sort of angsty teenager that hasn't figured out that you're actually quite well off in this world. Please stop this nonsense, until you actually know what you're talking about.

Reading that you once broke your hand punching a wall in anger only reinforces this position. Grow up.

Back
Top Bottom