HYW - Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

I have around 250+ english longbowmen and I kill all french cavalry very easy.
Last battle results: France 1000+ vs 500+ England. Casualties for France was about 900+ deaths, while England just 100.

This mod is great, hope you will resolve courtship problem.

I remember a while back when I played the M&B version of the mod, there was a balance problem caused by the powerful Longbowmen. Now while playing on Warband I got the feeling the balancing got better. That is nice!

I have to say though that the Longbows are still very hard hitters. Especially taking castles as french is difficult. During a siege the archers are vital, especially for the defenders, we know that. With Longbows on the walls it is quite hard to climb the ladders and reach the walls.
As an example, my character is about level 21 and wears full plate and a head protection with about 55 armor. Still I get shot down quite easily by the Longbows. I remember being "one-shotted" at the head when I had about 1/3 health left and decent ironflesh. :S

I know, there has been much discussion about the actual effectiveness of the Longbows versus heavy armor. Although bodkins were made for armor piercing, I doubt very much the english Longbows were that effective against the french plate. Tests show they were not as effective as you think they were.
Maybe they won the battle of Agincourt only because the French had to creep through the mud with their heavy armor while the English with their bow wielding peasants were just lighter and were more agile. And the English never had so many heavy troops, and not so many that were as well trained as knights.
Anyway, this is not a historic simulator. So I think balancing the sides as good as you can is important for everyone who wants to play on either english or french side. Right now playing as English with a horde of Longbowmen is powerful and imho devestating. I have hope that with a bit more of finetuning the balancing will be allright.

You do have a point. I can tweak the numbers of longbowmen who will appear in the NPC lord and castle parties without changing their individual stats. That's probably what I'll do.

On the flip side, have you noticed any imbalance when attacking the French?

I have encountered Enguerrand de Coucy, who is a vassal of Charles V of France, and first I was quite happy to meet him, because i had read about him in a book on the 14th century (Barbara Tuchmann: "A distant mirror - the calamitous 14th century"), but then i was a bit confused because the castle of Coucy doesnt exist on the map and enguerrand is the lord of a small village in southern France. In fact, Enguerrand VII of Coucy was one of the most powerful vassals of Charles V, responsible for the defense of the Poitou (the region northeast of Paris) and the Castle of Coucy located there was one of the finest examples of late middle ages defensive architecture.

Couldn't you include this into the next version?

Llew2 said:
You do have a point. I can tweak the numbers of longbowmen who will appear in the NPC lord and castle parties without changing their individual stats. That's probably what I'll do.

On the flip side, have you noticed any imbalance when attacking the French?
I have only fought a smaller share of French, and that was in the beginning. Currently I am vassal of Charles, trying to keep calm while petty english peasants throw wooden sticks at me and knock me out of my +50k armour...  :lol:
But I definitely plan on joining the english side after I finished this session, just to check the balancing some more. I will report back and give my impressions, be sure of that. :mrgreen:

i think concerning the overlandmap strategy the French have a big advantage.
in my game they conquered poitiers, limoges and toulouse without having to face noteworthy resistance, and the english didnt recapture the cities before i helped them to do so, and if i hadnt captured their mashal several times theyd have captured reims and caen too. the french always assemble armies of about 2000 men while the english prefer to wander the map alone, looting villages and killing peasants instead of following the marshal, thus only fielding about 1000 men when it comes down to dust.

additionally, if they finally decide to follow the marshal, he likes to assemble the army in Bordeaux when Caen is under siege and vice versa.

the latter point is due to the local disparateness of the English territories and can hardly be corrected.
but as some companion tells you, the French shouldn't be that united, there should be more quarrel among the French lords, making less of them engage in campaigns, while the English lords should stand as one when it comes to bashing French heads (well, rather piercing them :wink: )

by the way i think Genoa crossbowmen are way to strong. considering they have lower fire rate but the same range, are better in meleefights than longbowmen and harder to hit because of the board shields on their back when reloading, they are at least as good as longbowmen.
in fact the English longbowmen were superior to the mercenaries from Genoa, as the crossbows of that time where made of wood, leather and hides and tended to dissolve in wet weather and crossbows never really had the same range as longbows.
as the French knights are much better than the English ones, the French elite ranged troops should be considerably weaker than longbowmen (IMHO).

Arbarad said:
I just watched 20 English longbowmen shoot nonstop at 20 or so French chevaliers for about two minutes from a range of perhaps 75 yards, and not a single horse went down.  Methinks the horses may be a bit too heavily armored, considering longbows, historically, were murder on cavalry charges.  Added to the impenetrable plate armor, it gives the French one hell of an advantage, especially if you're trying to play a historically accurate English army (dismounted knights + longbowmen).
Try to stop the enemy knights by disturbing them, skirmish them, so your longbowmen can shoot at a stationary knight, my 60 longbowmen can obliterate 30 knights like that in seconds.

+I keep getting headshotted by Genoa Xbowmen from across maps...
+make an option to fortify camp somewhere, this gives the English sharpened stakes, wich damage horses charging at them, and the French a small wooden pallisade or a line of siege shield for their Xbowmen to hide behind.

can you make the fiefs be distributed historically correct in the beginning? i met Jean de Bretagne, who should be lord of brest, but his fiefs were peronne in southern normandy and albi in the languedoc...

Loved this mod in original M&B. Great to be able to play it on Warband now.

2 things:

1. tournaments: I don't like the original setup. Bows, Javelins a.s.o. need to go. Maybe you could change it to something like the 1257 Mod. Coloured coats and the rest is the original equipment of the participants?

2.might be a bit early for this mod but: Burgundy and Flanders would be great too :smile:

It pains me to not see some of the most famous faces from the hundred years war.. Gilles De Rais and Joan of arc. Why were they left out? Also, There seems to be alot of peace rather then war. which is ok i guess. just not fun after a while. . . . Other then that, great mod.

Mm indeed.It would have been nice to see them. But if i might suggest. after a while having a larger amount of bandits and sea raiders... i seem to be locked in a never ending peace. and the bands of 14 raiders really cant satisfy my needs for war. And id rather be accurate and not engage in battles during a time of peace.

Put a patch to disable peace.. because man, there's only like 15 days of war.. and then bam ! The kings make peace, so what am i going to do. 40 days of peace, i can attack the french but i  lose honor, bandits are a piece of cake same as quests... it gets boring because the war don't last that much.. please do something about this.

Sacred Knight said:
Put a patch to disable peace.. because man, there's only like 15 days of war.. and then bam ! The kings make peace, so what am i going to do. 40 days of peace, i can attack the french but i  lose honor, bandits are a piece of cake same as quests... it gets boring because the war don't last that much.. please do something about this.

I agree, the war would have to be continuous. Either the truce could last for 7 days, not forty!

After playing this fantastic modification for about five hours I really miss the following things:
- implementation of the Diplomacy mod
- "meet the guildmaster" (Diplomacy would fix this)
- battle continueation

whether these best plate armour and helmets shouldn't be better? As i know it was very hard to penetrate plate. And it will be nice if you add turn off companion complains button, it always spoils me whole game.

Back
Top Bottom