Hunting and fishing

Users who are viewing this thread

Went cat fishing one night in West Virginia last month, caught a 23" catfish and a smaller bass. Was a good time...

18306_10206516379540142_7449490861070981224_n.jpg

God damn no, fried catfish is one of the better tasting fish there is in my opinion. Course I don't really know the comparison to Norwegian fish, bigger catfish do taste pretty lakeish sometimes.

Don't have swimkitties here at all to my knowledge. I've just heard somewhere they taste a bit yucky. Probably different from place to place, and as you said relative to size. I know lake pike here tastes like ****e, but river pike is great.

I've heard that about pike as well, but it can be the same for other fish. In the mountains where my parents own a cabin there is a small lake where it's incredibly easy to catch lots of trout, but it tastes awful. In some of the bigger and clearer lakes they taste much better, but they're a tad harder to catch.

Never had thst problem with trout. But Trøndelag does have a lot more marshlands in the mountain valleys and such than Helgeland does. So I guess bog-trout is a more prevalent problem there.

Hmh, still weird to me. At our cabin most of the water-bodies capable of sustaining a trout population are in marshy areas along the lower ridges of the mountain chain. Still tastes fine and dandy.

My thoughts have always been that it has something to do with the PH levels in the lake or how much nutrition there is, although I am no biologist (as anyone can see). It could also be because the lake is too small, so it doesn't clean itself out as well as a bigger lake.
The lake in question is called Auretjønna (Trout Lake) for the abundance of trout in there (or so you'd think). The biggest lake in the area is called Veresvatnet, and the trout from that tastes much better.

Teofish said:
Probably a PH issue. I've also read that the marshes in Trøndelag usually have a higher iron content that the ones further north.

That might be true, I often see iron on the surface of murky pools when I'm walking around in the marsh. Kind of looks like oil spills. And in the Iron Age people used to come up to the area of my parents' cabin to collect bog iron.

Started fishing under that tower Teo pointed out a while back. Caught 12 ****ing bass the first day, and another good one today. Since it's a no boating zone there's huge schools of bass that go in there to do their surface thrashing feeding they do. It's a hard climb down to the shore but you get exclusive access to that insane spot. Pics will be up soon.

It's hilarious watching the boaters float right on the line and the bass just move ten feet or so into the no boating zone. :lol:

pnMbm.jpg
fEfnG.jpg

Going back saturday, gonna get some pictures of the area because it is scenic as **** there.

Back
Top Bottom