Humans can see into the past. Is it scientifically possible to also see future?

Users who are viewing this thread

It's not possible. To know the future - predict with 100% certainty - you need to have information about every particle/wave/variable/constant/... in the Universe, but - storing this information will also alter the state of some particles you'd need to store information about as particles... recursively... infinitely.

diavel said:
It's not possible. To know the future - predict with 100% certainty - you need to have information about every particle/wave/variable/constant/... in the Universe, but - storing this information will also alter the state of some particles you'd need to store information about as particles... recursively... infinitely.

But it's possible to see the past.  We just would need to shorten the relative distance light has to travel by using mirrors and slow down the speed light travels between the mirrors effectively enabling us to see the past. How many mirrors do we need, the angle of the mirrors and perfect calculation so that light does not escape from the mirrors.

So basically, when you say we can look into the past all you mean is that we can take phtos and videos.

ancalimon said:
diavel said:
But it's possible to see the past.  We just would need to shorten the relative distance light has to travel by using mirrors and slow down the speed light travels between the mirrors effectively enabling us to see the past. How many mirrors do we need, the angle of the mirrors and perfect calculation so that light does not escape from the mirrors.
But you wouldn't see further back than when you build the machine, even if you could do that.

"Someone handed me a picture and said, "This is a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture is of you when you were younger. I'd like somebody to say to me, "Here's a picture of me when I'm older." I'd be like, you son of a *****, let me see that camera."

-Mitch Hedberg

ancalimon said:
If you consider that there's the past and the future, the reality of fate becomes obvious.
Evidently not.
From the right perspective, the future and the past are irrelevant. They are the same things. Because time is relative.
Time is relative. That doesn't make future and past the same. Would you argue that tall and short are the same? That left and right are the same? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." We experience the world from our perspective. All that means is that one thing can be defined by two opposites as long as those opposites are subjective or relative.

For example, there is someone standing to my left by your right, the same distance from both of us. That person is both to a left and a right. But that doesn't make right and left the same. Otherwise you'd have a paradox in which we would have to occupy the same space because we'd be the same distance from them both left and right. And there would be an infinite number of everything constantly overlapping. Just because A is B and C, C doesn't have to be B. My hamper is white and three dimensional. That doesn't mean that white is three dimensional.
When you think that the only real is you, fate becomes meaningless for you and within this limit the possibility of you realizing fate does not exist. When you realize that everything exists and think that you become everything or at least two different things (thus two different times seen from a single perspective but one peerless moment shared by two different perspectives) at the same time, the future and the past becomes contained within a circle.
A: Now I feel like I'm being preached to.
B: What is this "think that you become everything or at least two different things" thing? I am not everything. I am not my dog. I am not you. I am not Hitler. I am not Mars. I am not the Big Bang. I am not green.  I could, almost and possibly literally, go on forever. Going back to the past example, I guess you could argue that the person between us is two things because they are both "on the left" and "on the right" but they are not two PHYSICAL things (even though I used "they") just because they are being observed from different perspectives. Rather, there are two different observations of the same object.
How many branches of reality exists within this circle, I can only guess (4 maybe?). But it's not necessary to prove that fate exists. It's simply logic, some grasp it, some grasp it later, some cease to exist before getting the chance to grasp it.
Well, time is infinite and presumably there is no smallest amount of time (or if there is it is imperceptibly small) so I guess there would an infinite number squared number of "realities" then multiplied by all of the perspectives from which these "realities" are observed.

ancalimon said:
As you know, the further we look, the more into the past we see; meaning the further we stand from an object and look at it, the more in the past we see that object.
What I wonder is whether there is some way to see how that object looked in the future or not. I'm guessing that it's not possible at all.
if you refer to how light works, then no. also you need to define what seeing into the past means, because this way looking "at the past" means you can never look at the present and while you can build few mirrors to see the past as well, a simple camcorder and popcorn will work better.

ancalimon said:
If there was a way to travel in time to the past and also monitor how a predetermined location on Earth looked in the past at a given time period "realtime", if you weren't able to see yourself in that predetermined location on Earth in that predetermined time in past, would this mean that you were never able to travel back in time to that location meaning it is fate?
:It's in your fate that you were never able to travel back in time to that location to that time?
what ?!

An4Sh said:
So basically, when you say we can look into the past all you mean is that we can take phtos and videos.

No :smile:  It takes time for light to travel in space, so further an object is in space, the longer it takes for its image to reach your vision thus when you look at that object you see its past image. The further you look the more into the past you see.

ancalimon said:
An4Sh said:

No :smile:  It takes time for light to travel in space, so further an object is in space, the longer it takes for its image to reach your vision thus when you look at that object you see its past image. The further you look the more into the past you see.
Ah, I see why you're so confused now. We're not looking in to the past when we do that, we're just seeing the past. It would be like if I gave you a video recording of something that happened 5days ago. You're not looking in to the past to see things while they are happening, live, you're just seeing what already happened for the first time.

We cannot see the past or the future, we can only see what was the past and what could be the future. We cannot see what is the past and what is the future. "The future" is such a broad term. Do you mean one specific future, or do you mean all of the infinite futures? As i sit here and type this message i am creating history. History cannot be changed. No matter what we do, you have still read this message. We can delete it. But you have still read it. History cannot be changed, neither can the future. The future is infinite, infinite options, infinite chances, infinite branches of "time." We cannot change this infinite future. But we can change which infinite path we follow.

No. I did not steal part of that peach tree speech from Kung Fu Panda. Why would you even ask that?  :lol:

Mage246 said:
ancalimon said:
An4Sh said:

Ah, I see why you're so confused now. We're not looking in to the past when we do that, we're just seeing the past. It would be like if I gave you a video recording of something that happened 5days ago. You're not looking in to the past to see things while they are happening, live, you're just seeing what already happened for the first time.

You think looking at the stars is the same thing as watching a movie? You have a different way of thinking.

cypruss11 said:
We cannot see the past or the future, we can only see what was the past and what could be the future. We cannot see what is the past and what is the future. "The future" is such a broad term. Do you mean one specific future, or do you mean all of the infinite futures? As i sit here and type this message i am creating history. History cannot be changed. No matter what we do, you have still read this message. We can delete it. But you have still read it. History cannot be changed, neither can the future. The future is infinite, infinite options, infinite chances, infinite branches of "time." We cannot change this infinite future. But we can change which infinite path we follow.

No. I did not steal part of that peach tree speech from Kung Fu Panda. Why would you even ask that?  :lol:

I don't think that's possible. There is just one future for all of us. If you go to past, you can not change anything in the present.

If the guy who invents the time machine went to the past to cut the apple tree (you see an apple fell on his head and at that moment he realized how to build a time machine) he wouldn't be able to cut that tree. Because the present can not be changed, or in the case of the scientist who built the time machine, the future can not be changed. Try harder to grasp this logic. Both the past and the future depend on each other. They receive support from each other.

ancalimon said:
Mage246 said:
ancalimon said:
An4Sh said:

You think looking at the stars is the same thing as watching a movie? You have a different way of thinking.

cypruss11 said:

I don't think that's possible. There is just one future for all of us. If you go to past, you can not change anything in the present.

If the guy who invents the time machine went to the past to cut the apple tree (you see an apple fell on his head and at that moment he realized how to build a time machine) he wouldn't be able to cut that tree. Because the present is can not be changed, or the future can not be changed.
The human eye is the same thing as a video camera, it just uses biological parts instead of mechanical/digital ones.

Mage246 said:
The human eye is the same thing as a video camera, it just uses biological parts instead of mechanical/digital ones.

You think light traveling to us from a far away star is the same thing as capturing a film?  That's illogical. Totally inappropriate, senseless and absurd really.

If the guy who invents the time machine went to the past to cut the apple tree (you see an apple fell on his head and at that moment he realized how to build a time machine) he wouldn't be able to cut that tree. Because the present is can not be changed, or in the case of the scientist who built the time machine, the future can not be changed. Try harder to grasp this logic.

When you come to a point in life when you must make decision. Strawberry Icecream or Cherry Sundae, and you choose. You have effected the future. If you choose the other you still effect the future.

A time machine is impossible because time is time was not and will not be. If a time machine exists it would not be a time machine but, rather, a parallel universe machine. When the man goes back in time and cuts down the tree, he is not changing time, he is directing his life in a different path, going into a different parallel.

ancalimon said:
Mage246 said:

You think light traveling to us from a far away star is the same thing as capturing a film?  That's illogical. Totally inappropriate, senseless and absurd really.

You really don't understand how this works, do you? I'd wager you're actually completely clueless.

An4Sh said:
ancalimon said:
Mage246 said:

You really don't understand how this works, do you? I'd wager you're actually completely clueless.

:roll:

Ok

besides perception or not the whole point is that you cannot see the past and the presence at the same time thus making anca fate argument of seeing both perspective something something void.

because when we look at the light from distant objects similar to the uncertainty principle the further "into" the past you see the further away from the presence you are. the only thing we can do this by create some kind of buffer in the present to see the present in the future (making it a past, a.k.a video tape)

cypruss11 said:
We cannot see the past or the future, we can only see what was the past and what could be the future. We cannot see what is the past and what is the future.
btw it can be argued that you can see the future(not into), that is if you can manage light speed travel  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom