How to, Improve your ping in online games.

Users who are viewing this thread

"Believe it or not, the ol' U.S. of A. is the only industrialized nation without  a nationwide Internet policy, and, as LiveScience reports, we've begun to lag even further behind the rest of the countries seated around the big kids' table. According to 2008 broadband access figures from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the U.S. ranked 15th among the organization's 30 member countries, after coming in 4th back in 2001. Unlike Finland, the U.S.  won't declare broadband access a basic human right.

The FCC is estimating that it would take about $350 billion to guarantee 100 megabits-per-second broadband access to all Americans. Despite all of our fiscal worries, President Obama seems committed to the plan, after earmarking $7.2 billion for broadband expansion in his stimulus package, and calling for America to "lead the world in broadband access and Internet penetration." Basic human right or not, Internet access has now become a capacity building prerequisite for individual and national advancement. If the U.S. wants to emerge from the financial crisis towards the front of the herd, we'd better get our act together, and get connected."

http://www.switched.com/2010/02/01/u-s-considering-nationwide-internet-access-plan/

Go here to see the prices as of now.

https://www.comcast.com/localization/localize.cspx?referer=/shop/buyflow2/lite.cspx?SourcePage=Internet&profileid=85485456-6CF6-48AE-AFE5-2AAC7939C070&lid=2ShopHSI&lpos=Nav

Phallas said:
"The satellites are being built by French company Thales Alenia Space. They will be low orbit satellites with a round trip transmission delay of 0.1 seconds, compared to almost 0.5 seconds for geostationary satellites. Each satellite will have a capacity of 10Gbps."  the high latency satellites of the past are gone.
http://www.austech.info/australian-isp-discussion/10987-low-latency-satellite-internet-2011-a.html

And btw 0.5 seconds is 50ms not 500ms.

0.5 second = 500 ms

1 second = 1000 ms (by definition) so half a sec is 500ms. 0.1 sec = 100 ms which is still a highish ping (excessive for serious gaming). 

So, no, satellites will keep giving crap pings ;D Even though 100 ms is a huge improvement it's ridiculous compared to the pings you can get with fiber optic. Which is much cheaper and reliable (the weather doesn't matter etc).

kaleena said:
Phallas said:
"The satellites are being built by French company Thales Alenia Space. They will be low orbit satellites with a round trip transmission delay of 0.1 seconds, compared to almost 0.5 seconds for geostationary satellites. Each satellite will have a capacity of 10Gbps."  the high latency satellites of the past are gone.
http://www.austech.info/australian-isp-discussion/10987-low-latency-satellite-internet-2011-a.html

And btw 0.5 seconds is 50ms not 500ms.

0.5 second = 500 ms

1 second = 1000 ms (by definition) so half a sec is 500ms. 0.1 sec = 100 ms which is still a highish ping (excessive for serious gaming). 

So, no, satellites will keep giving crap pings ;D Even though 100 ms is a huge improvement it's ridiculous compared to the pings you can get with fiber optic. Which is much cheaper and reliable (the weather doesn't matter etc).

This ^^ I was just about to correct you when I read the OP. Milli = thousand, so 1 millisecond  = .001 second or 1000 millisecond = 1 second.

Useless stuff. Changing ethernet controller wont be much of a help. Using programs won't help you either. Its warbands fault, because they have poor server connections and couldn't take on so many users.

yes ,yes i know  mili is thousandth of a second, I must have had a typo/stroke when i typed that.
as far as I'm concerned anything from 0-150 is fine, by the time the mouse responds and ect.

Atm most people get 100-200 ping  in BF: bad company 2, and it feels smooth, just another example where, the game developers
invested in some sort of Anit-lagg measures such as movement prediction software.

If Tale worlds would have invested in the same technology128-256 player matches would have been possible due to the lack of GFX baggage.
I really hope one day tale worlds gets a larger loan from the bank and brings this game into the modern world.

And, Destzar, so um can you remind us what degree in networking you posses to make such blatant statement about  ping?
My methods do work, and have worked, the more options you try the larger the end result.

Its also not all about reduction in the actual displayed number on the TAB screen, its about improving the overall Line quality, so packets can be received
and uploaded more efficiently,  there will be less line congestion, less jitter and less interference from background services.

Ping technically decides the Quality of your internet connection, and it even varies from time to time depending the traffic on the servers and it also varies from site to site , try ping test on different sites using  http://www.whoisxy.com/ to check the difference

thank you verry much for this thread i carried out a few of these operations

but have yet to test the results

i suffer from bad lag - although my ping which is still not very good does not reflect my lag - i am not sure if this is because my internet connection is 512 kbps or because my PC is quite dated by now, but i intend to change isp at some point.

thanx again for the thread and i realy  hope it help improve the situation for me

:cool:

Well, my ping on the ping test came to be 55 ms but when I play online on a European server, it is quite often 150 ms and above, worse than some american players get on it.

Back
Top Bottom