Hooked attack and spear bracing

Users who are viewing this thread

first of all,
Thanks Devs, I appreciate the new upcoming changes
Now,,

1-Is hocked attack basically a cheat ?!

2-Removing the shield to hold the polearm 2handed then bracing takes a long time
-Is there an animation for bracing while am holding a shield ?
(Removing the shield automaticly to my shoulder)
Or
-i should Remove my shield myself then press x (2 separate animations and takes longer time)
i think the first option would be more efficient
Consider this,,,thanks

Last edited:
1 - no
2 - IMO, spears should brace automatically asuming that a) you hold it with both hands (so no using with shields) and b) the spear is long enough to be braced

for shield + spear, I assume you'll still have normal stabs

1 - no
2 - IMO, spears should brace automatically asuming that a) you hold it with both hands (so no using with shields) and b) the spear is long enough to be braced

for shield + spear, I assume you'll still have normal stabs

i mean,,
It possible to press x when im carrying a shield
And the animation will do it for me (remove the shield and start brace)

unless,, by passive they mean the bracing is “on” any time im standing idle

i mean,,
It possible to press x when im carrying a shield
And the animation will do it for me (remove the shield and start brace)

unless,, by passive they mean the bracing is “on” any time im standing idle

In the video they state that bracing is only for eligible 2-handed pole-arms, so no shields with it.

I think I can translate what he is asking, he is asking whether pressing X with a spear and shield would automatically put his shield away and put his spear into bracing position.

And if not, why not? Seems like a reasonable request but I don't really see why it would be quicker than just sheathing your shield.

I think I can translate what he is asking, he is asking whether pressing X with a spear and shield would automatically put his shield away and put his spear into bracing position.

And if not, why not? Seems like a reasonable request but I don't really see why it would be quicker than just sheathing your shield.
This ?
( sorry for bad explenation )

And i’m requesting this because i think if u remove ur shield ur self
U will either
1- will be late by microseconds from the perfect time to use brace
2- make a mistake by rushing and try to brace while scrolling the mouse to remove ur shield

Absolutely NOT. We don't need the system to automatically put the shield on our back. I believe it should be 2 seperate movements. It would be weird I guess to have that

Bracing was in mods like PW for warband and was 100 percent useless. It was used for instances like holding doors and etc so its a great RP element imo and will create some fun singleplayer things. And it may even be easier for bots to use spears now vs cav due to this but in terms of skrimish borderline useless imo. On the hooked thing sounds completely overpowered and just not to fun, I know they said its only going to be a SP thing but it sounds horrid as a future MP feature.

However, I believe cavalry is gonna be useless in Captain mod now. I don't imagine the current AI doing well on horses after the considerable nerf

Hooking can actually bring an interesting new risk-reward choice where instead of stopping the horse, you risk getting hit by cavalry on the off-chance of dismounting him instantly.

I like the idea, though it won’t be very viable in competitive play.

I think its a nice idea. Remember that riders can always block the attack with the shield. It carries a bit more risk-reward choice like you mentioned

1-hocked attack basically a cheat ?!
I don't see how it could be considered a cheat compared to archers shooting under shields and cav ignoring spear stabs and knocking people down for 4 seconds. If balanced well it'll be a strong offensive tool inf have to deal with cavalry, which is needed since throwing will (hopefully) be getting nerfed.

There should be no dismounting mechanics until only the cav classes can ride most horses. Im fine with horsemen being forced to the ground, but getting your horse yoinked by an archer who is now a horse archer sounds incredibly unfun.

I find them to be two very interesting additions; but I would like to comment about them.

Brace spear: This implementation is totally understandable due to the heritage received from the mods. It's just been implemented and we haven't tried it yet; however I find the " sticking the stick" animation to be too fast. I think it should take a little longer to deploy the bracing and not as it currently is, almost instantaneously. Somethink like this:

8rkZxC.gif

It's hardly noticeable in the video, but I imagine that while the spear brace attack is being held, the movement is blocked (in any case, I think it should be so).

No doubt for MP the spear bracing would only apply to long polearms like pikes through the change of weapon use option (X key). A spear should not be able to be couchable (and even more so if it's combined with a shield), at least in MP environment (in SP it certainly has to).

Hooked attack: This was a real surprise for me; I like the concept very much.

On the other hand, I don't agree (currently with the video info - what we can see) with how this attack is carried out. Dismounting the rider with this technique should increase the probability of attacker mistake; I explain. In the video, we practically see a frontal attack and as a consequence of the direct impact, a posterior dismount of the rider. Personally, I don't think it should be like that.

As I see it, the hook attack (X key - use of weapon) should be able to be made only from a lateral or rear position in relation to the rider; for frontal attacks we already have spear bracing, isn't it?. To dismount a rider, we would have to hook him from behind or from the side; this would increase the difficulty of using this type of action.

Look at this gif, you can see how an external element compromises the stability of the rider in real life.This animation would be interesting after a hook attack from the back.The mocap (someone's pulling at you.)
qZRwzo.gif
blog_post_66_taleworldswebsite_05.gif
blog_post_66_taleworldswebsite_04.gif

Last edited:
In the video it says "hooked spears", so only a certain type of spear (with a visible hook by its spear head) should be able to throw riders off. I find that it's a weapon specific feature, rather than a stance by pressing X feature, so that looks OK for now, before we can actually test it and see how it feels, if it can be imported to Multiplayer, which factions/classes should get this type of spear etc.

8M4NjNe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom