Hiding Behind a Pavise Shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhodoks = Italians.

Pavises are for covering the reload vulnerability period for a crossbowman, not for strapping to your back.

Also, a faction that sucks is a stupid idea. There shouldn't be a faction that completely fails - like the Rhodoks do right now.

Fei Dao said:
Also, a faction that sucks is a stupid idea. There shouldn't be a faction that completely fails - like the Rhodoks do right now.

Well what the **** are the french doing then?

i friggin hate crossbowmen, but yes it would help balance the game, and yes it is very reasonable, realistic, cool and challenging.

I've got a better idea for how this could be implemented.

When you order crossbowmen to "Hold position" they'll ground their shields and start firing.
When you tell them to start moving, they'll pick up their shields and get moving.

I'm all up for it, but I've already contributed my discussion on the matter.  I like the "Hold Position" bit for controlling when the crossbowmen "ground" their shields.  I just want the Rhodoks to be competent... is that so wrong?

Cheers.

The funny thing is, the suggestions where almost everyone unanimously agrees but doesn't really care that much about are the ones that die first - discussion just disappears since everyone likes the idea, but doesn't really care about it.

However, suggestions such as the dual wielding and heavy weapon swings hit multiple opponents survive for a very long time since there is always opposition, and the people who are totally into "phantasee kewlness" fueling the opposition.

There was also the "Veagir Elephants" suggestion that lasted for a ridiculously long time because one person kept putting forth the idea, and everyone else was completely against it.

It seems King's Court status is based on how long the thread lasts, and the level of interest.  :neutral:

Maybe I should make some totally outrageous suggestion just to spark public uproar.

I think we should be able to strap board shields onto the flanks of our horses in order to deflect blows.  And warhorses should breath fire.

Cheers.

Landwalker said:
Maybe I should make some totally outrageous suggestion just to spark public uproar.

I think we should be able to strap board shields onto the flanks of our horses in order to deflect blows.  And warhorses should breath fire.

Cheers.

Those were the days.  Trog Dor was a man, no, he was a dragon man.  Or he was just a warhorse.

As for the "shielding the flanks," that ought to keep some of the gaseous stench from knocking so many people I run over unconscious.

Oh, and instead of crossbows, Rhodoks should carry pavise shields and carbine rifles:

41023_hammerfall_gun_corps_box_set.jpg

Oh, and they should become dwarves.

Cheers.

Sorry 'bout that.  Just trying to stir up some controversy so that we finally get the original idea (Rhodok crossbowmen should actually make use of those doors on their backs) the attention it deserves.  :sad:

Cheers.

To tell you the truth I really dont care much about most of these sugestions, because They still have to implement the major ones. As in battalions, formations and realistic animations, not to speak of the textures.

Tankai said:
To tell you the truth I really dont care much about most of these sugestions, because They still have to implement the major ones. As in battalions, formations and realistic animations, not to speak of the textures.

Wouldn't you consider "having soldiers correctly using the equipment they're given" to be a fairly major implementation?  Rhodok crossbowmen have board / pavise shields, but they do not use them.  What if Vaegir archers didn't use their bows, or Nord infantry didn't use their axes, or Swadian Knights threw their armor off before battle and lept into the fray with nothing more than leather britches?  There's no point in giving units equipment (especially heavy shields that will reduce their movement speed) if they aren't going to actually use the stuff in the same or a functionally similar way as their historical counterparts (north-Italian pavise crossbowmen).

Cheers.

P.S.  I can't tell if Vilhjalmr is mocking me or enthusiastically applauding the pavise shield suggestion... :neutral:

Fei Dao said:
Good luck with that.  :roll: Not going to happen.

Well, yeah, but still...

Landwalker said:
Wouldn't you consider "having soldiers correctly using the equipment they're given" to be a fairly major implementation?  Rhodok crossbowmen have board / pavise shields, but they do not use them.  What if Vaegir archers didn't use their bows, or Nord infantry didn't use their axes, or Swadian Knights threw their armor off before battle and lept into the fray with nothing more than leather britches?  There's no point in giving units equipment (especially heavy shields that will reduce their movement speed) if they aren't going to actually use the stuff in the same or a functionally similar way as their historical counterparts (north-Italian pavise crossbowmen).

It's a meh for me, Im not even a big enthusiast of the time frame when such tactics were used.

Time frame?  :lol: Pavise tactics were used for quite a while through the medieval period.

Pavises are quite an essential tactic for crossbowmen - without them, they're helpless against normal archers. What's so wrong about wanting the troops to correctly use the equipment they're given?

M&B is 13th century, which is also before the plate armor. Italians used pavises during this time period too.

Of course pavises were also used later during the Hundred Years War by the Geneose Crossbowmen though, but that's a little off topic.

OT:
I think the very fact that Rhodoks are using pavise shields is solid evidence they are totally Italians.

Back
Top Bottom