Hard Copy Vs Steam Vs Taleworlds

Users who are viewing this thread

SPD_Phoenix said:
Never like Steam or any service that require an internet connection to play.

You don't need an internet connection to run M&B after you've downloaded it.

CalCD said:
They're all the same, although steam updates the game automatically.
You get a serial key all the same, so you can still DL from TW even if you bought via steam I think...

Actually no, the Steam key is about 25 characters(Maybe more) and the TW key is about 20(or a bit less, I forget the exact numbers).

Henk said:
When you buy it on TW, TW gets more money.
If you buy it in retail/Steam the shipping,store/steam gets a share of the money.

thus less profit for TW to make moar epic games.

Teh End.

Quoted for motherf'in truth.

gnawid said:
SPD_Phoenix said:
Never like Steam or any service that require an internet connection to play.

You don't need an internet connection to run M&B after you've downloaded it.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Well, I don't have Steam, so I could be wrong.

Henk said:
When you buy it on TW, TW gets more money.
If you buy it in retail/Steam the shipping,store/steam gets a share of the money.

thus less profit for TW to make moar epic games.

Teh End.

I suppose you do have to take into account Steam deals in massive content delivery and can probably do that a lot cheaper than Taleworlds. The per-copy profit made by Taleworlds may actually not be that far off. On top of this, Steam is good for generating sales not only through their traditional ads, but also through their social network aspect: Every time you play a game in Steam, all of your friend-list sees it on your status. I've bought more than one game because I saw a friend on my list playing some game, asked them if it was fun, got a demo through Steam, and bought the game. In other words, every single game bought on Steam generates word-of-mouth advertising, as well...

As far as connection, I've played Steam games offline lots of times.

Overall, I've become pretty impressed with the service, it has improved a lot over the years. By the way, if anyone here is on Steam or is thinking about checking it out, there are a few neat, free games you can get. Definitely get Alien Swarm, it's a short campaign, but has a good SDK coming out and I'm expecting to see a lot of new content soon. Also, more free Steam junk here. Enjoy!

Shio said:
Yea you can, but i don't think you can enter servers that have valve anti cheat though if you don't have Steam.  I don't know much about Steam so i could be wrong.

Nope, you can play on VAC enabled servers just fine without steam.

Think I might change my opinion. Spent 6 weeks waiting for a hard copy to come into stock online at 3 different places, in the end downloaded it from one of taleworlds affiliated download sites for £5 less. Have now paid less than £15 for both M&B games combined and two hours later I was murdering villagers. Ahhh the sweet life.

MrGrendel said:
Facemelter said:
With a hard copy, you can put is on a USB Flash Drive and play anywhere.

What's stopping you from putting any other installation onto a flash drive?

That's technically illegal in almost every country though I don't think the police would go out of their way to catch you, other than Canada that classifies this sort of thing as a service and not a copyrighted product (so long as it's only yourself that enjoys it).

Donate directly to TW if you really wanna give them $$'s but if you wait for a 1/2 off sale, you end up with moar $$'s :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom