Gun control

Users who are viewing this thread

Kissaki said:
Crazed Rabbit said:
Basically anyone who lives in a city knows where the shady parts are.  A few discrete inquiries will probably get whatever illegal thing you desire.  And criminals are -SURPRISE! - not allowed to legally buy guns, so they have the know how already.
Criminals aren't branded with a mark in their forehead. It's not only those with a rap sheet who commit crimes, you know. Most criminals are NOT carreer criminals. And most criminals do NOT use guns, even in the US.

Yep, i honestly have to say, it'd be bloody hard to get guns illegally down here. doable, but bloody hard.

Interesting fact: in the USA, more people are killed by malpracticeing doctors than by guns. I mean, come on. It's safer to go on the steet than go to hospital!

Narcissus said:
I hope I don't offend you, but I'm going to be blunt here.  What would I do if someone tried to take that money away?  I would shoot them.  I wouldn't even try and shoot them in the leg or arm or anything like that ... I would aim for the chest and probably put several bullets into him.
It would seem, then, that your hatred of guns is surpassed by your hatred of people who would steal from you. This illustrates why I especially don't like it when people acquire guns for protection. It sounds like you would go for maximum overkill than necessary force. That is not self defense, that's vigilante justice.

It's also violating 2 fundamental human rights.
As Ilex said above, do you really value your possessions over another human's life?
It's a sad state of affairs if you do, especially as there are non-lethal ways of protecting yourself available.

If was faced with a situation where I caught somone breaking into my house and had a gun I would draw it point it at him and make my present known. (aka yelling "WHAT THE **** DO YOU THING YOUR DOING?!") What happens next depends on what he does.

A) If he goes for somthing in his pocket I aim to kill.
B) If he stands his ground I assume he's going to fight or pull a gun but I wont fire until he does one or the other.
C) If he attempts to run with my stuff I'll try to stop him, eather by shooting him in the foot/leg or blocking his path (the later is perferable).
D) If he drops the stuff and runs I leave him alone.

In all instances I call the cops afterwards.

This seems to be rational, I personaly think if people would do this kinda thing when faced with this situation there would be less casualtys.

From the other thread:

Crazed Rabbit said:
I have read dozens of incidents of defensive gun usage and not one involved innocents getting hit by the 'good guys' using their guns in self defense.
I think your short memory is ailing:

Heck, even in Cali, two guys firing back at a drive-by shooter hit and might have killed an innocent uninvolved with the shooting, and charges were dropped against them because they were defending themselves.

Also, you wrote this:
Good grief, man - when a person is in the process of killing people, he waves his right to a trail.
This is so false it is tragic. Due process is not merely about establishing guilt, but also determine if the guilty party was to some extent justified in what he or she did. It's called mitigating circumstances. You don't know, for example, that the person in process of killing people isn't doing so in self defense. In your dream world it would be impossible to make a quick distinction, because they would be firing at eachother. Who started it? Whom should you stop? If you stop A, will B fire at you? If you stop B, will A fire at you?

Then why do the national guidelines state you should comply with all demands?
Because it's politically correct, and a symptom of idiots in charge of those guidelines.
Utter rubbish. They are the guidelines because they offer you the best chance of survival. Self defense instructors will tell you the same thing. Give/throw your wallet at him and make a run for it if you can.

What you're saying then is contrary to the facts.  It makes you safer and decreases crime.
What YOU are saying is contrary to facts. There is no evidence that guns make you safer and reduce crime.

Why purposely limit your ability to fight back?
This is a particularly silly argument. There is nothing you can do with a .357 that you can't do with a .25, defensively. Overkill when it comes to armament is not only unnecessary, it is also far more endangering to the environment. That's why you would purposely limit your "ability to fight back".

Than why bother disarming those who aren't going to break the law?  We already have plenty of laws against criminals owning guns.
Most people do not have your fortune telling abilities and can't possibly tell who is or isn't going to break the law.

Ursca said:
It's also violating 2 fundamental human rights.
As Ilex said above, do you really value your possessions over another human's life?

Property is also a fundamental human right, at least according to the Enlightenment philosophers who formed the philosophical basis for modern democracies. According to them, you absolutely have the right to protect your property if the government fails to do so.

Mage246 said:
Property is also a fundamental human right, at least according to the Enlightenment philosophers who formed the philosophical basis for modern democracies. According to them, you absolutely have the right to protect your property if the government fails to do so.
To protect as necessary, sure. But placing four slugs into the chest of a thief is not necessary. Deadly force is never necessary unless it is your personal safety that has been compromised, rather than that of your posessions. "Avoid rather than check; Check rather than hurt; Hurt rather than maim; Maim rather than kill; For all life is precious, nor can any be replaced."

Crazed Rabbit said:
Basically anyone who lives in a city knows where the shady parts are.  A few discrete inquiries will probably get whatever illegal thing you desire.
And if you're lucky, they won't just take your money and dump your corpse somewhere :roll:
A few facts:
2 million + per year use their guns to defend themselves.  Think about it.  That's a lot, and by banning guns, you would make every one of those people victims - 2 million plus crime victims.
Depends. Are they defending themselves from criminals, or from other idiots using guns to defend themselves?
Around 15,000 people are killed by others per year using guns.  On the threat scale, it's rather low.
15000 people per year is rather low?
Gun ownership is the last defense against a tyrannical government.  Governments killed tens of millions last century, so it's foolish to give the government complete control over your life.
No, no it isn't. The English revolution happened before guns were invented. The French never needed guns to overthrow their government. Nobody pointed a gun at the Soviet Union and made them re-unify Germany. Nobody pointed a gun at Gorbachev and made him disband the Soviet Union.

Hell, you're kidding yourself if you think guns are sufficient to protect yourself from the government. Or haven't you noticed they happen to have all the tanks, airplanes and artillery?

People across the nation taking up arms - even semi autos - would not be possible to be put down.  It's also a rather big deterrent effect.
Actually, they've been put down a number of times in many different countries. Moot point in the US anyway, they can always deploy Ebola or Anthrax weapons (more to the point, deploy them then promise the antidote to any who surrender).

And?  I killed him to protect my property.  If he didn't want to take the chance of being killed, then he shouldn't have placed himself in that situation.
That's the problem though. You killed him to protect your property. You weren't shooting to get rid of him, to stop him attacking you or to make him run, you shot with the stated purpose of killing.
Furthermore, how do you know he was a threat to your property? You come downstairs in the middle of the night and shoot some guy you find wandering around your house. Could turn out you left the door unlocked and a neighbour called round to check you were okay. Could be a police officer responding to reports of someone wandering the premises with a weapon, could be anything. Too late to find out when you've spread his brains across the wall.
And then there's protecting your property. If someone puts a brick through my window, can I then shoot him to 'protect my property'. Hey, maybe he looked at my car in an envious manner, best shoot him now before he comes back and nicks it :roll:

This seems to be rational, I personaly think if people would do this kinda thing when faced with this situation there would be less casualtys.
It is, the problem is few people confronting an intruder in their home are in a rational mindset when they do so.

They are the guidelines because they offer you the best chance of survival
Hear hear. In Narc's case it might be different, but consider this. Your wallet might have what, $50 or so in there. Yeah, it's a ***** if you use it, but work out how much it would cost for a lawyer if you end up needing to defend the decision in court. Which would you rather pay?

There is nothing you can do with a .357 that you can't do with a .25, defensively
The other problem of course is that if he doesn't run when you pull the gun, you can bet either his mate's behind you with a gun pointed at your head, or this guy knows how to deal with someone holding a gun. The other problem the self defence argument has - criminals using guns are a lot more experienced and skilled than those they try and rob.

There's a distinct difference between protecting something and killing someone. Hell, my insurance protects my property just fine without killing anyone (at least, I don't think my insurance company kills anyone, but you can never tell these days). To protect my property, I merely have to prevent someone from damaging it. No part of that necessitates I waste the guy.

Kissaki said:
"Make guns illegal and only outlaws will have guns" is typical NRA logic that has no grounds or backing in reality.

Riiiiight, because we all know that people never have or use drugs, because they are outlawed!!!

HardCode said:
Kissaki said:
"Make guns illegal and only outlaws will have guns" is typical NRA logic that has no grounds or backing in reality.

Riiiiight, because we all know that people never have or use drugs, because they are outlawed!!!
Dont even give that quote a thought, "If you make guns illigal only outlaws will have guns" for in making it illigal you make everyone who has a gun an outlaw, the sentance proves it self.

To think that several people on this forum have called me politically correct.  Wow.

*Gasp!  Dear, this man has a gun!*
*Zomg!  Take everything we own and we will hope that you don't rape and kill us as you are surely an intelligent man and understand that we do not protect our property or ourselves because we believe that 'the system' will correct itself and we will be safe!*
*Bang bang*

Give me a break.  If someone breaks into my property or attempts to rob/mug me, they have placed themselves in a situation that endangers themselves and the people they are trying to mug/rob.

Rather than hope they don't hurt me and my wife and run away with what is mine and hope that the authorities catch them and hope that justice is actually served in a court of law ... I will defend myself and said family and property.

I hardly dount that shooting pepperspray at a guy with a gun is a very smart idea.  I have the distinct impression that I would be shot

Ilex said:
Narcissus said:
And?  I killed him to protect my property.  If he didn't want to take the chance of being killed, then he shouldn't have placed himself in that situation.

What kind of sense does that make, anyways?  The arguments you people are making are the same type that grants burglars the chance to sue homeowners when they fall when robbing a person's house.  PC FTW!!!
I am a bit confused about the two-facedness of the law. If breaking and entry constitutes a death penalty if caught red handed, why shouldn't it otherwise? It's not self-defence if the burglar shows no intent of harming you (say you sneak up on him), it's a legal murder.

The laws don't really protect that type of behavior (although it can be damn hard to prove).

Scenario:  You wake up and hear someone in your living room and see a flashlight beam under your bedroom door.

Do you get your gun and confront the guy and hope that he runs away, leaving your stuff?
Do you try and get to an angle and shoot him?
Do you lie in bed and hope that he doesn't enter the bedroom and rape/kill you and your family?

Kissaki said:
Narcissus said:
I hope I don't offend you, but I'm going to be blunt here.  What would I do if someone tried to take that money away?  I would shoot them.  I wouldn't even try and shoot them in the leg or arm or anything like that ... I would aim for the chest and probably put several bullets into him.
It would seem, then, that your hatred of guns is surpassed by your hatred of people who would steal from you. This illustrates why I especially don't like it when people acquire guns for protection. It sounds like you would go for maximum overkill than necessary force. That is not self defense, that's vigilante justice.
Yes.  My aversion to guns is surpassed by my total and complete hatred and loathing of a piece of crap, good-for-nothing, lousy, worthless, stupid, and utterly useless speck of, and absolute drain on, the society I live in.

It isn't that I would go for 'maximum overkill' as much as it is that I would ensure that I will not have to worry about him pulling a gun, knife, etc and preceding to take his revenge for having shot him in the arm/leg/etc.

If you call that being a vigilante, then my advice would be try to rob or mug someone else then.  Or maybe ... *gasp* ... not try and rob or mug anyone at all then!  Thats a crazy, crazy idea.  Someone not breaking the law and placing themselves in harm's way!  I just thought of that!  Wow, I must be smart or something!

Narcissus

You'd be surprised how effective pepper-spray is (taken it once).

If someone has a gun pointed at you, it doesn't matter what you have (gun, spray, automatic weapon) under your seat...you can't move without the risk of getting shot. If you find yourself in a position where you can do something (say, in your room while a mugger is checking the door), you have a chance. The problem is, shooting him (if he has a gun in hand) is likely to make his gun discharge just as likely as spraying him in the face with pepperspray (the difference is, if you spray him he won't be able to see...if you shoot him he can catch a breath and shoot at you with clearer vision).

Ideally, you would want to immobilize them and be able to control the direction the gun is pointing. Ideally, what I would want to do in the room-thief position would be to pull his gun downward and spray his face with pepperspray (or tazor in the neck).

Although, there is something to be said about a few warning shots...the chance it scares them off, but the chance they retaliate.

Merentha said:
Narc, how many burglars are armed?  The last crime statistics I saw said "not many".  The targets of most robberies?  Empty houses.

To me, an unarmed burgler is armed.  A weak teenager could beat me down and take my possessions and/or life.

That is my point.  I dislike guns and I hate the laws surrounding them.  Yet the answer isn't to remove guns, but to place some common sense into the laws that govern them.

Narcissus

Narc, you don't get it.  Sure they could beat you up.  They don't want to.  Its a huge step from robbery to armed robbery and assault/battery, most theives know that.  They target empty houses for a reason, to avoid confrontations.

Narcissus said:
That is my point.  I dislike guns and I hate the laws surrounding them.  Yet the answer isn't to remove guns, but to place some common sense into the laws that govern them.
Other countries seem to do fine without guns.
Although I agree that just banning them would not help much.
The problem is with the American mindset. Canada for instance has similar laws, and their armed crime rates are quite low.

With regards to shooting an intruder (to kill), two wrongs do not make a right. By killing him, you are being worse than him.
Merentha's got a point. I'd imagine just confronting the thief with the gun would cause them to leave pretty damn fast.

Back
Top Bottom