OSP Shaders Grandmasters Shaders - Basic Seasons & Wind effects (Version 1.0 RELEASED)

Users who are viewing this thread

GG4iY.jpg
ved_j.jpg
QGN5i.jpg
IPmax.jpg
m9Cno.jpg

You can see a couple of my new trees in the top two images.

Do you guys think that the flora shader with normal map applied is too heavy for the engine? La Grandmaster maybe you could use the diffuse b slot for the winter texture and the bump for the normal map in the future release, would it be a problem for you?
Also I suggest to add only the autumn variation since spring colours are redundant and for the terrains you could try to create a wet shader using the specular map, have you ever tried? is it a bad idea?

Not much can be done with desert because of the annoying hardcoded limits on grass and bushes. The game doesn't allow grass on the desert or on snow, so even in "desert forests" you don't get much of anything. Which is annoying because deserts in native are incredibly boring and look terrible.

fedeita said:
Do you guys think that the flora shader with normal map applied is too heavy for the engine? La Grandmaster maybe you could use the diffuse b slot for the winter texture and the bump for the normal map in the future release, would it be a problem for you?
Also I suggest to add only the autumn variation since spring colours are redundant and for the terrains you could try to create a wet shader using the specular map, have you ever tried? is it a bad idea?
The reason I put it in the bump slot was because the grass shader in m&b is a bit unusual. It is automatically applied to autogenerated grass, even if you try and specify a different shader it gets used. And, although I cant see anything in the actual shader code, it looks like it uses a grass mask texture, you will notice this if you look at grass in the commonres file. This grass mask texture is located in the diffuseb slot - hence why I dont use diffuseb.

A bit more info on autogenerated grass for anyone who is interested. Only really of interest in terms of shaders though
Autogenerated grass seems to be treated as one object once it is generated, to explain - the top vertices of the model are those grass blades up mountains, and not simply the top vertices of the individual grass models. Its almost as if the vertices are in world space and not object space. This is a bit annoying as you cannot specify that you want the top vertices of grass models to wave and those further down to not.

jacobhinds said:
Not much can be done with desert because of the annoying hardcoded limits on grass and bushes. The game doesn't allow grass on the desert or on snow, so even in "desert forests" you don't get much of anything. Which is annoying because deserts in native are incredibly boring and look terrible.
Hmm I dont think this is correct - there are flags for fkf_desert, fkf_snow. They're certainly not hardcoded. If you apply these flags to a flora entry and specify a high density do they not get applied?
In fact on closer inspection I cant see why this wouldnt work, the reason natives deserts look empty is because it doesnt use them at all. The only desert flora entry it has is a palm tree which uses the fkf_desert_forest flag and has an incredibly low density.

La Grandmaster said:
Hmm I dont think this is correct - there are flags for fkf_desert, fkf_snow. They're certainly not hardcoded. If you apply these flags to a flora entry and specify a high density do they not get applied?
In fact on closer inspection I cant see why this wouldnt work, the reason natives deserts look empty is because it doesnt use them at all. The only desert flora entry it has is a palm tree which uses the fkf_desert_forest flag and has an incredibly low density.

I've tried adding grass specifically to deserts (not worried about other flora). If it isn't specified as grass, it doesn't get distributed well (sometimes piling into one corner like grass sometimes does on large maps), and high densities cause a fair deal of stutter. There are other more nitpicky things wrong with it, like the lack of texture variation and the way you have to put the vegetation slider quite high, but not high enough that you don't cause performance issues.

Great work on those shaders Grandmaster. Really love how such simple things can completely change the atmosphere of a game. And I would really like to see your effort regarding Autumn as another season.

Small question though, the compiler is giving me a problem because of the wind shader. I'm not on my PC right now so I can't actually tell you the exact problem the compiler gives but it has something to do with first the usage of an unassigned global variable and then afterwards the declaration of a global variable that's never actually used. Both concern the exact same variable (from the top of my head it's something along the likes of $var_wind, but take that with a fair bit of grains of salt).

Airbar said:
Great work on those shaders Grandmaster. Really love how such simple things can completely change the atmosphere of a game. And I would really like to see your effort regarding Autumn as another season.

Small question though, the compiler is giving me a problem because of the wind shader. I'm not on my PC right now so I can't actually tell you the exact problem the compiler gives but it has something to do with first the usage of an unassigned global variable and then afterwards the declaration of a global variable that's never actually used. Both concern the exact same variable (from the top of my head it's something along the likes of $var_wind, but take that with a fair bit of grains of salt).
This pack doesnt use a variable called $var_wind it uses one called $alt_wind - is this what you are referring to? if it is then simply change "$alt_wind" to "$wind_power" - these two lines are only useful for testing purposes anyway. All of the code I posted was to demonstrate how the shader variable should be used, I didnt mean for anyone to use that code in its current form for their mod.

Tüfekçi Başı said:
What can I do for  WFaS?

There is no set_shader_param_float operation.  :meh:
I have no idea Ive never played or used WFaS. It may be possible to drop the operations into WFaS header_operations file, however Im not sure they will actually work with WFaS's .exe file. Like I said Ive never modded WFaS

La Grandmaster said:
This pack doesnt use a variable called $var_wind it uses one called $alt_wind - is this what you are referring to? if it is then simply change "$alt_wind" to "$wind_power" - these two lines are only useful for testing purposes anyway. All of the code I posted was to demonstrate how the shader variable should be used, I didnt mean for anyone to use that code in its current form for their mod.

That's exactly what I was talking aobut. Yeah I know that in its current state it is not really viable for anything other than testing purposes but since the seasonal shader worked completely fine I was a bit baffled by the problem I had with the wind part of the shaderpack.

Can you make your shaders automatic winded(I think this is my solve)? Of course different from this files. Wind power may be 2 or 3 or you can release 4(1,2,3,4) type of wind power.

Can I repost your OSP to M&B China website?I wont change anything without translate :D.
http://bbs.mountblade.com.cn/forum.php

I used your OSP in mod Road Calradia https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=342456.0 . Thanks you. I have two seasons.
Can I add a third season? and how?

This is pretty friggin amazing. I'm slightly curious though:

I have a good understanding of the module system and have done a fair share of modding work using it. However, I am a bit confused as to how to implement these changes and make them work within the game itself. The coding bits in the original post are a bit vague. Which module system files do I need to edit to make my nice new winter textures change automatically when the seasons change?

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom