General questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi!

I have a few questions regarding certain aspect of the gameplay.

1- When you assign a captain to a formation, does the control need to be delegated for all the bonuses from the perks to apply? How does it work when the main character has one set of perk and the captain has the other one? Does the formation gets both bonuses?
2- Certain bonuses from perks affect troops when they are in a shield wall formation. Is square formation considered shield wall for that kind of bonuses (like the Phalanx perk, for example).
3- How does bracing work for troops. Do they need to be in a particular formation for it to work? Does it need a special command for it to work? (I know about the length of the polearm, but that's it)
4- How does the weapons priority works for companions. If I give them a long spear, a shield and a sword, will they be able to brace for the initial charge before changing to a sword and shield?
5- In one campaign, are all weapons, armor and horses eventually accessible or it's randomize for each run?
6- Is there somewhere I can find answer to that kind of questions? A database of some sort, up to date with each updates?

Thank you very much!

1- When you assign a captain to a formation, does the control need to be delegated for all the bonuses from the perks to apply? How does it work when the main character has one set of perk and the captain has the other one? Does the formation gets both bonuses?
You do not need to delegate, as long as the formation has an assigned captain, and when the captain is alive and is not routing, all applicable captain perks are applied to formation troops.

Only the perks of the assigned captain are applied. If the main character is assigned as captain, the main character's captain perks are applied. If a companion is assigned as captain, its captain perks are applied. If we're talking about a party leader perk, only the party/army leader can provide the bonuses.
2- Certain bonuses from perks affect troops when they are in a shield wall formation. Is square formation considered shield wall for that kind of bonuses (like the Phalanx perk, for example).
That perk applies only to the shield wall formation.
3- How does bracing work for troops. Do they need to be in a particular formation for it to work? Does it need a special command for it to work? (I know about the length of the polearm, but that's it)
If troops have weapons with the bracing ability they will brace at the right time (when enemy cavalry units are charging at them) - there's no specific formation or command that they need to be given. But, there are some behaviours you should be aware of:
  • If the unit has a shield in his equipment and he is in a formation that requires him to use it (e.g. shield wall), he will not prefer bracing.
  • If the unit has been given the Charge order, he may brace but it is very unlikely.
  • If the above conditions aren't true for the unit but he is NOT in the first/frontmost two ranks of his formation, he may brace but it is again very unlikely.
  • If the unit is in the first/frontmost two ranks of his formation, and he recognizes an enemy cavalry unit is coming towards him and that they will collide soon, he will most likely brace.
Having said all that, we're working on further improvements to the bracing behavior.
4- How does the weapons priority works for companions. If I give them a long spear, a shield and a sword, will they be able to brace for the initial charge before changing to a sword and shield?
There is no specific weapon priority for companions - they choose their weapons in the same way as other units do.

In the scenario you describe, if the formation the companion is in is a shield wall formation, he will not be bracing. If that is not the case, he should prefer to brace (taking into account all of the conditions I mentioned above).

But perhaps he is using a crafted weapon with some great stats, he may think that using the shield and sword pair will do more damage to the enemy. So it all depends on the specific situation.
5- In one campaign, are all weapons, armor and horses eventually accessible or it's randomize for each run?
In theory, all items are made accessible in a "single save" - but, given the large number of items and randomization in their distribution across the world map - it's entirely possible you won't come across a specific item you're searching for at that moment.
6- Is there somewhere I can find answer to that kind of questions? A database of some sort, up to date with each updates?
Well, your questions were quite specific so unless you find the answers explained in-game, through some YouTube video, or digging through the game code, then this forum is the right place to clear them up.

Shielded infantry don't brace even in line formation since e1.9.0. And it was reported more than one year ago. Are you aware of that?
We're aware, yes. As Oathsworns have a shield, they always prefer to use their spears one-handed with the shield (which prevents them from spear bracing). We're exploring AI behaviors to get around that.

@Dejan Could you also please answers these questions on banners:

For example, do they provide bonuses to the player & companions?
Does their bonus get disabled when its carrier is taken out - and then re-enabled when another unit picks it up?
Are their bonuses additive or multiplicative with perk and captain bonuses?
Does militia benefit from banner bonuses in siege defences (also allied villagers in village battles)?
What happens to the banner bonus when you merge and split formations (also what happens to the captain bonuses when you split/merge)?

For example, do they provide bonuses to the player & companions?
Banner bonuses apply to all troops within a formation (which has the banner assigned). That includes companions and the player hero.
Does their bonus get disabled when its carrier is taken out - and then re-enabled when another unit picks it up?
Yes. If the agent carrying the bonus is killed in action or routs (in this case it drops the banner), then the bonus is lost. If a troop takes the banner from the ground then the bonus is regained.
Are their bonuses additive or multiplicative with perk and captain bonuses?
Bonuses are additive. For instance, if we have a banner bonus that provides 10% to damage dealt, and there is a captain perk that provides an additional 20% to damage - then the total will be 30% (not 1.20 * 1.10).
Does militia benefit from banner bonuses in siege defences (also allied villagers in village battles)?
Banner bonuses are applied to troops in a formation when the subject formation has the banner assigned to it. This is automatically assigned if the assigned captain of the formation has a banner in its banner slot (in inventory). Town militia joins the battle as a separate team (that is allied to the defender team). They don't have any heroes assigned to their formation. So no - they won't get any banner bonuses.
What happens to the banner bonus when you merge and split formations (also what happens to the captain bonuses when you split/merge)?
Only the captain of a formation can assign its banner as the formation's banner. So if you merge formations then you'll be cancelling one banner effect. Only the merged formation's captain's banner will be in effect. If you split formations then you can assign a new captain to the new formation and they can receive the banner bonus.

So it's better to split formations if you have multiple heroes with different banners and different perks. For instance, if you have a cavalry formation they would perform much better under the command of a captain who has cavalry-boosting perks and is carrying a cavalry-related banner.

Unlike banner bonuses, captain perk bonuses do not apply to the captain. But they apply to all troops (including the companions) within a formation.

There is a trade-off between picking a personal perk or a captain perk when you unlock a new perk tier. If you pick a personal perk it only applies to your character. If you pick a captain perk it only applies to your troops under your command.

If you pick a Party Perk, it applies to all of your troops (again not you) within your party given that you are the leader of the party when joining the battle.

Similarly, if it's an Army Leader perk you need to be the commander of the army to apply it to all troops. Party Leader perks should still apply to parties within the army. But to provide army-wide bonuses you need to be the army leader.

Banner bonuses apply to all troops within a formation (which has the banner assigned). That includes companions and the player hero.

Yes. If the agent carrying the bonus is killed in action or routs (in this case it drops the banner), then the bonus is lost. If a troop takes the banner from the ground then the bonus is regained.

Bonuses are additive. For instance, if we have a banner bonus that provides 10% to damage dealt, and there is a captain perk that provides an additional 20% to damage - then the total will be 30% (not 1.20 * 1.10).

Banner bonuses are applied to troops in a formation when the subject formation has the banner assigned to it. This is automatically assigned if the assigned captain of the formation has a banner in its banner slot (in inventory). Town militia joins the battle as a separate team (that is allied to the defender team). They don't have any heroes assigned to their formation. So no - they won't get any banner bonuses.

Only the captain of a formation can assign its banner as the formation's banner. So if you merge formations then you'll be cancelling one banner effect. Only the merged formation's captain's banner will be in effect. If you split formations then you can assign a new captain to the new formation and they can receive the banner bonus.

So it's better to split formations if you have multiple heroes with different banners and different perks. For instance, if you have a cavalry formation they would perform much better under the command of a captain who has cavalry-boosting perks and is carrying a cavalry-related banner.

Unlike banner bonuses, captain perk bonuses do not apply to the captain. But they apply to all troops (including the companions) within a formation.

There is a trade-off between picking a personal perk or a captain perk when you unlock a new perk tier. If you pick a personal perk it only applies to your character. If you pick a captain perk it only applies to your troops under your command.

If you pick a Party Perk, it applies to all of your troops (again not you) within your party given that you are the leader of the party when joining the battle.

Similarly, if it's an Army Leader perk you need to be the commander of the army to apply it to all troops. Party Leader perks should still apply to parties within the army. But to provide army-wide bonuses you need to be the army leader.
the troop that carry banner delete one of his equipment (shield) could it be on his back ? coz i've meet a situation where my shieldwall with that troop at the front line, he eat all incoming arrow and die.
secondly, there are no perk that provide 20% damage to that stack with banner to make a notice different, unless we try to stack many 2%,5%... which scatter all around in different skill tree. for example the movement speed, there are 4% from 1handed tree and another 5% in athletic. Just make everything simple, combat skills buff combat and athletic buff speed, tougher for troops. By scattering all around will make this system complicated and confusing to learn
The skill tree system has many problem that need rework, so i have some suggestions
1. combat perks/skills progress provide weapon speed and damage, troops can chamber block when lead by the captain with higher skill level
2. bow and crossbow should be in same "range perks tree" which provide speed and damage, crossbow turn their back(shield) when reload and that shield can block arrow to compensate the bow advantage (in medieval, to have a quick range group, they train peasant to use crossbow) so putting it a individual perk tree is not needed i think
3. Riding provide speed bonus also reduce penalty when riding for troops same as player
4. athletic provide movement speed at a proper amount but not too fast, instead reduce the armor weigh so higher athletic doesn't make us run faster like superman but keep our speed near regular (I know this reduce weigh already in game but haven't proper yet)
5. Scouting working just fine for now but perks are not interesting, this skill tree should provide more party speed
6. Tactic, this one is dumb idea when only working in simulator battle. This tree should provide bonuses to troops such as % ammunation, more health to shields, + armor for troops, faster formation form, an option to take control one of our troops/companions/family members (this one can be locked behind perk or just require higher tactic)
7. Rogery, this skill need a new system called "gangster reputaion" the higher rogery the more respect bandit have against you, recognize you when encouter and ask to join, take over hideout which can access to stash and store garison. Bonus income from alley, lower the prison break cooldown... more ideas coming later coz this can be a new way to play this game
8. Charm provide higher chance to persuade, the persuade system seems random lately when i try to firt for wife, but need to rework the relation system before this playstyle can work well
9. Leadership, anyone playing this game long enough to know morale almost doesn't work well in this game, this one contain several interesting perks that make tier 5-6 unbreakable instead of tier 3. You can persuade a lord to betray his king, why a tier3 fight to death for you ? Convert bandit into regular is one of the best perk in this game but the bandit roster is only so far to say in lack of depth, i think bandit shouldn't be convert into noble line, just regular line is enough. The easy way to get noble troops lately driven this game to spaming tier 6 troops
10. Trade, provide the trade penalty already in game is okay, reduce caravan/workshop cost (already perks in game) but make this bonus follow the progress is better. At a specific level merchant will give out quests which provide some good deals and increase trade level instead of just buy green sell red, especially second to third-fourth years the price are low
11. Steward this one is okay while reduce food comsumtion, the problem is people can stack bonus that turn from minor to plus food. Steward should focus in increase party size and food, put all these things in this tree, lv 250one handed +15 party size. Swinging sword better doesn't make you manage your party better to increase 15 guy
12. Medicne, I don't understand much about this while it says +3% casualty chance at lv300. Medicine function are okay while increase healing rate but also it should increase troops health in skill progress, % for each point. Also need a way to increase this skill better, now it too slow to learn
13. This tree can combine with steward coz i think it's like "army logistic"
Finally, There are so many uninterest perks in this game that barely noticeable, let's just make things simple, a skill tree should have 100 points and each point provide you with 0.5 - 1% bonus ex: 50 onehanded provide 25% swingspeed and 25% damage with 1 perks for each 10 points, this 10 perks will provide interesting bonus such as chamber block for troops, increase 10% damage, faster block ect...
Less skill trees for simple approach,Putting all function perks where they should be. easy to learn - hard to expert
I have many ideas that can improve Bannerlord, I spend 3 hours to write these and they are what I stuggel when comback after a long time break
Thanks for taking a look

No. That doesn't include the player hero. The only exception is the banner that increases movement speed applies to the player until the player switches his weapon. I've tested this by editing number of the charge damage banner bonus using dnspy. I'm very sure it doesn't apply to me. The activeBanner variable is always null when the agent is the player.

Back
Top Bottom