Gameplay balance

Users who are viewing this thread

Dindi

Sergeant Knight
Firstly congrats on making such a fun and popular multi-player mod :smile:, its great that I can go on any time and pretty much guaranteed to get in a match with at least 10 other people!

Also I hope I don't come over rude in this thread, I've made it because I really enjoy this mod and what to give some feedback!

Difficultly wise I think that it gets far to difficult far to early on, when I say early I mean there's been many a time where there's been teams getting wiped on wave 3 or 6, with what team members surviving the normal waves being finished off by the boss waves, which is great and fine later on but doesn't help early on. Also I think this is a minor cause of poll spamming (which there is alot of, but what can you do eh?), due to the fact that teams get wiped so quickly people just poll to get to a new map which gets annoying.

This early wiping also happens alot more with some of the weaker defending factions such as Romans, whose reliance on the gladius means they suffer in melee.

Some of the invading factions are also incredibly strong, mother of god I don't think I've ever got to over wave 10 on the native tribes one hehe, the barbarians are also strong, but they were in FI 1 anyways.

Some of the boss wave orders seem off aswell, persians for example, early on they get a heavy cav boss which is pretty powerful, and mages whose bombs I've seen wipe teams very quickly when cover is lacking, but after these they get bosses of jariad and lance throwers who are actually easier to fight than the normal waves!

My biggest bugbear is the uruk archer boss waves, mother of god these guys are frankly ridiculous marksmen, pulling off headshots and firing at a ridiculous rate, also they for some bizarre reason wield their warbows as melee  weapons? Which apart from being strange are also absurdly powerful haha! Couldn't they just be given an uruk sword?

Finally could we perhaps get the classic versions of the invading factions put in  :razz:?

Hope I haven't come across, as rude, great work on the mod!

Great initiative and helpful suggestions, Dindi  :grin: Thread is stickied and we're all ears for more reports

Dindi thanks for the feedback i will look into and especially thank you for your OSP helmet pack.

I love these suggestion! Classic Invasions is a must imo.

Coolio  :smile:, glad to be of help!

especially thank you for your OSP helmet pack.

Heh no problem, made it so long ago I'd completely forgotten about it!

Some of the factions seem unnecessary and have very little real content, primarily the Superheroes, the executioners and the zombie defenders, are practically unplayable at the mo! I don't know if you plan on fleshing these out but for now might be easier to remove them from the list, making it easier to navigate?

Also I was thinking that at the mo we have separate Gondor, Lossarnach and Dol Amroth factions? Couldn't they all just be put into the Gondor faction as separate troops?

I really like the Highlander faction, but they do seem to be lacking in weapon choices? 

Also be nice if Rohan could be fleshed out as well hehe  :razz:

Dindi said:
Coolio  :smile:, glad to be of help!

especially thank you for your OSP helmet pack.

Heh no problem, made it so long ago I'd completely forgotten about it!

Some of the factions seem unnecessary and have very little real content, primarily the Superheroes, the executioners and the zombie defenders, are practically unplayable at the mo! I don't know if you plan on fleshing these out but for now might be easier to remove them from the list, making it easier to navigate?

Also I was thinking that at the mo we have separate Gondor, Lossarnach and Dol Amroth factions? Couldn't they all just be put into the Gondor faction as separate troops?

I really like the Highlander faction, but they do seem to be lacking in weapon choices? 

Also be nice if Rohan could be fleshed out as well hehe  :razz:

The Super Heroes are just a pilot funny faction, we are giving them a claw weapon and shield in ver 0.11
The executioners are just a pilot tiny faction for testing of some IVYORT stuff
The Zombies just need some weapons
The faction list cannot be made shorter it will become bigger although we can try faction merges and whatnot that make sense.

I agree with the Gondor Faction thing, once we know how to add more then 10+ troops for a faction we will overhaul it to fit more kinds of troops including the Knights of Dol Amorth and the Axemen.

The Highlanders at the moment need more then a claymore. We will add in the Highlander OSP dirk and sword and the spiked shields to complete their set and the other boots.

Rohan is getting more fleshed out soon as well.

Ver 0.11 is a big new version incoming and we are still fixing the bugs.                                               

Bad Idea said:
I should mention that I will be making alterations to the admin panel to make faction selection easier
Thank you! This is so crucial to stop the poll spamming and make it even quicker to faction test and tweak whilst modding.

I agree with the Gondor Faction thing, once we know how to add more then 10+ troops for a faction we will overhaul it to fit more kinds of troops including the Knights of Dol Amorth and the Axemen.

The Highlanders at the moment need more then a claymore. We will add in the Highlander OSP dirk and sword and the spiked shields to complete their set and the other boots.

Rohan is getting more fleshed out soon as well.

Ver 0.11 is a big new version incoming and we are still fixing the bugs.                   

All sounds great to me  :smile:!

I should mention that I will be making alterations to the admin panel to make faction selection easier
Thank you! This is so crucial to stop the poll spamming and make it even quicker to faction test and tweak whilst modding.

Great, anything to reduce poll spamming, its one of  the most annoying things but I guess something that can't really be fixed.

When I have played as spartans we never seem to survive for that long, especially when fighting persiens. It is a really hard faction to play as. One would perhaps reason that a sheildwall would be the correct answer but they arn't very fuctional, and to be honest I would really want sheildwalls to work properly because it would add so much to the game. For the sheildwall to properly function I have always thought that adding sheildbashes would do the trick.

Condider the tactic from this 300 clip and you might understand what i have in mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNn5TZu6R8

matmannen said:
When I have played as spartans we never seem to survive for that long, especially when fighting persiens. It is a really hard faction to play as. One would perhaps reason that a sheildwall would be the correct answer but they arn't very fuctional, and to be honest I would really want sheildwalls to work properly because it would add so much to the game. For the sheildwall to properly function I have always thought that adding sheildbashes would do the trick.

Condider the tactic from this 300 clip and you might understand what i have in mind.

I was thinking of adding a Heavy Armored Spartan troop from a resource we have of the Imperial Legion faction.

Shieldbashing I dunno it seems overpowered then again this isn't pvp so maybe. Perhaps we shall poll for it.

usnavy30 said:
matmannen said:

I was thinking of adding a Heavy Armored Spartan troop from a resource we have of the Imperial Legion faction.

Shieldbashing I dunno it seems overpowered then again this isn't pvp so maybe. Perhaps we shall poll for it.

Thank you for considering it my proposal.

matmannen said:

Spartans don't need shielbash. Shieldwall IS the answer, it's just that spartans are faction meant to be played in team. It means that no one can just run off randomly or leave shieldwall at will. It was the same for them in RL: the first row keeps still no matter what, the second row kills enemies with spears. It's very simple. In case of emergency (someone runs away, logs off or just dies) men from second row can fill the gap or becomy an entirely new line of shields.

What i am suggesting, though, is a little bonus for shieldwall like in crpg. Whenever two shielders stand next to each other, they get bonus to their shield skill, which means a very sturdy and almost impenetrable shieldwall with 10-15 shielders in one line. It would also mimic the real life application of spartan circle-like shields (the part of your own shield covers the guy standing next to you as well).

I agree with Faegrin. I don't know what you're talking about Darln but the gladius is extremely powerful, A thrust one shots about every non-boss enemy before wave 10. Using a shield-wall with the Romans is the answer. If anything I thing they should be a bit faster or at least have lighter armor and have tougher shields. It's rare for me to see the Romans fall before round 15. The Spartans... ugh they're so cool but it's always the same and they drag on so long, but it's a cool thing to see pubbers work together. I've only can remember on two occasions that we lost before 20, and it's usually cause we end up with a lack of people to build a shield wall. The Persians aren't deadly at all, you just need to be smart about what you're doing.

On top of that, Some factions are a bit ridiculous but just having them is great, I think a Gondor+Rohan faction should be in there.

I think the balance is great. Romans and Spartans destroy if the team works together, just get them to do that and you'll end up with a long lasting round.

Polling is fine for me. I just like playing.

Swinging through teammates needs to be taken out. The Urakai orcs and other factions with long weapons are just OP. They constantly swing through their teammates, making it impossible to survive whenever you're facing 3 at a time.

Shieldwalls tend to...not work. Some of the factions have weapons that either crush shields entirely,or that deals massive damage. And ofcourse theres the fact that once the wall is cracked,you`re screwed,which will always happen in a public game.

Colonel Greed said:
Shieldwalls tend to...not work. Some of the factions have weapons that either crush shields entirely,or that deals massive damage. And ofcourse theres the fact that once the wall is cracked,you`re screwed,which will always happen in a public game.

Well. It all depends on the team. 2-3 times I've had my shield break and I can't fall behind the line but about 10 times someone jumps in. Also, having nearly unbreakable shields would unbalance the game immensely.

Back
Top Bottom