french military prowess

Users who are viewing this thread

tommylaw

Grandmaster Knight
i'm here to stake my argument that the idea of the French being 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' is wrong

i can also hear the busy typist branding me wrong

btw: i'm not french

Of course the French doesn't have a bad military, they beat all of Europe in the Revolutionary Wars and Napealon did a fine job of conquering Europe and they held off the Germans quite well in World War 1.
World War 2 went so bad for them because none of the Allies wanted war and were persuing a very sensible option of appeasement, remember at this time no one knew Hitler was a nutjob so avoiding war by being fair to Germany was fine.
So the allies weren't prepared for war. Add massive political instability to their unprepared military and you have the reason why Germany steam rolled through French forces and the BEF.

Of course the French joking is just that, no one takes it seriously but hooting idiots.

Yes, they do, a bunch of bearded guys who carry axes. About the only people that actually look mildly fearsome. However, I agree with Buxton that the thread title is a pure oxymoron. Aside from Napoleon, and WW1, they have (mainly, some history freak will correct me I'm sure) mainly lost all their wars. Napoleon was a megalomaniac nutjob too, and during the Hundred Years War, they had to have a WOMAN lead them to victory, a crazy one at that. I think that speaks for itself. And they can't seem to exploit homefield advantage, at least not after the HYW. They also got their ass kicked by some down-beaten, trodden on Indochinese, and basically suck.

Unless they have a very captivating leader (I take Jeanne d'Arc was captivating for some reason, yeah ?), they get their asses utterly pawned. I mean seriously, small island like Britain, captures half of their frickin' enormous country ? Come off it !

And yes, yes I live in France.

*Britain didn't exist. England.
*France wasn't a real country in the HYW, the French king held power in small area around Paris and beyond that he needed the fickle alliegence and support of nobles.
*The French then went on to become a continental superpower.

Man I was going to go on and on and on but I can't be arsed. Basically most of what you said was wrong.

The funny thing about France is they are probably one of the greatest military nations in the world. Unless they're fighting the English or Germans, at which point their best generals suffer random bouts of insanity, their troops are replaced with giggling schoolgirls and their quartermasters pack off for a holiday in Australia.

Afaik, it was a lack of foresight in regards to the Maginot Line. That is, they assumed that the German Panzers wouldn't be able to get through the one place that was unguarded, a single forest. But, they didn't think of a few bridges, and the Armour steamrolled through.

It was more like the French ended the Maginot line before Beligium, since extending it would have been seen by Belgium as the French abandoning them, and as such the Germans attacked through Belgium which allowed them to flank the Maginot line.  Game set and match.

Alex_Augmented said:
Afaik, it was a lack of foresight in regards to the Maginot Line. That is, they assumed that the German Panzers wouldn't be able to get through the one place that was unguarded, a single forest. But, they didn't think of a few bridges, and the Armour steamrolled through.
Nope. The line itself only covered the German border, Germany simply invaded Belgium and then into France via the Ardennes, where the only fortifications were border posts. It wasn't unguarded or undefended.

Gculk said:
It was more like the French ended the Maginot line before Beligium, since extending it would have been seen by Belgium as the French abandoning them
The line actually joined up with the Belgian defences which extended all the way to the Straits of Dover. The problem wasn't that it was too short, but that Belgium, unlike France, hadn't spent the past decade improving, extending and modernising their defences. They hadn't even modernised to take into account aircraft or anti-tank capabilities.
As a result, you had the cutting edge, formidable Maginot line all the way up to the Belgian border, and then Belgium's spotty 19th century border defences all the way to the Channel. In Belgium's defence however it's not as if they were expecting France to invade any time soon.

I think QI pointed out the French actually have the best military record. But I can't be arsed to find the proof.

Back
Top Bottom