Feats

Users who are viewing this thread

"alright, let me just deflect this high-velocity arrow - OH **** RIGHT IN THE CHEST"

If the samurai's not blind, he'll cut the bullet!

If the jet pilot's not blind, he'll cut the SAM missile in half with his wings!

About the arrow thing... you think that deflecting an arrow is impossible ? Think again !

Proof - http://vbox7.com/play:247884e1

The arrow is blunted - which takes a lot of speed away. Aditionally I dont think the bow is a heavy one because most kyudo stuff is set to be light and relaxing caring more for techniques then force.

blah blah ... arrow blunted ... blah blah ... not enough speed ... blah blah

Did he catch the arrow? He did! Game over !

Its always good to see if people know what they are talking about.
Ill only admit that arrows can be blocked by a sword on a regular basis and in realistic scenarios if I see that someone stops an arrow made for war shot by a bow made for war.

This thread is three years old. This pleases me. That said, I'd love to get some more customization in here in some fashion or another.

Alpha said:
Please,No We dont need that.That will probably interfere with the realism of M&B. You will wind up seeing people doing superhuman feats,unbalancing the game.

That.

The realism is most important for this game IMHO. No superpowers, please.

I'd like some very basic "feats", although I think for the most part they should only affect outside of battle things. For example, if your character hit a certain intelligence point, they should gain experience faster (because it's a proven fact that smarter people learn faster). Or accomplishing something in-game could inspire people of your faction, increasing relations with all lords, and making recruits flock to your cause.
These aren't necessarily the only things I'm talking about, but something along these lines. I certainly don't want to see any D&D ****, because if I liked D&D, I'd be be playing it instead of M&B.

Deflecting arrows may be unfitting but i will tell you what is more unfitting: the way characters level up. I don't have anything against this actual level up system apart the fact that it's not so rewarding and doesn't give me (at least) the sense of "hell ya level up, can't wait to distribute points".
So personally adding feats (can be added under another name) is not so bad rejuvenating the actual system. I remember doing a poll questioning weather the current level system is satisfactory, and i remember that 45 % said that its not so great, i guess 45 % is enough to make yourself question if there should be some changes done.

first: there is no argument in saying "this is bad but this is bad too" - id also like somthing else then the levelsystem but its ok. it just stands for the experience a real person gains in life as the armor level stands for the quality of your gear. thats also something which could be improved in terms of realism. but stopping arrows is... well... its just bull****, sry for that. i like MnB for NOT introducing stuff from fantasy oriented games or universes.

second: leveling is an easy and known solution

third: id like certain feats like the ones mentioned by Dethlordjaffar but imo blocking arrows with a sword is just bull****. there is no warrior caste EVER known to do so in history and i want to see a reliable source where someone was using war gear and continually stopped the goddamn arrow. shields are for blocking arrows and they work fine with it for over fourthousand years now.

On the "deflecting arrows" thing.. I've seen some video with a guy who is really good with a Katana. He slices (more breaks) an arrow fired slightly to his right (so it would not hurt him if he missed) in 2 and efficiently disrupts the flight of the arrow. But.. to use it in a battle where you get several archers fiering at you, and some guys next to you hacking on you with swords and axes.. I think not.

However, to include this is a rather good idea I think! It would have to be a subtle thing, and perhaps give you some penalty.. Some examples:

Horsemaster: A normal horse can turn into "Spirited" if left in your inventory for 1 week (or more), you could also improve the "Stubborn" to normal, and then on to "Spirited". However, I don't think you should be able to train them into "Champion". If so it would have to have a big penalty. I can not think of any suitable penalty for this, maybe lowering the weaponpoints gained each level by 5?

Bureaucrat: You can claim more taxes from your fiefs, say 10% or so, but slow down the prosparity growth. So it would pay of in the long run. Maybe some other penalty, like random revolts in your fiefs, or the population not liking you..?

Weaponmaster: You get 5 extra (or 10, or whatever number) extra weapon points each level, but you can not upgrade riding further then 5..?

Prisonmaster: You can hold more numbers of prisoners per skillpoint, and get more money from them... Cant think of a penalty..

Lightfoot: You have a greater chance of escaping from captivity, you have a greater chance of sneaking in to an enemy city without being detected.. cant think of a penalty.

Masterchef: You gain more morale from food, but you also consume a lot more food. Good for big parties with lots of inventory space.

[Insert name] You need less food but you also gain less morale from it. Good for small parties with little inventory space..

[Insert name]: You gain +25 in base morale (so its 75 instead of 50) but you pay double wages, or 50% more, or whatever.

Investor: When its time to pay the weekly wage you get a bonus 5% on the money remaining (say you have 12000, you pay 2000 in wages, that leaves you with 10000, then add 5% (500) and it leaves you with 10500). Cant think of a penalty.. maybe something morale related...?

Scholar: You read books faster, need less int to read them. The price of books get higher cause the bookseller see that you are interested (since you are, you are a scholar..) so he figures he can rip more money from you..

I could probably think of more ideas, a bit tired now.. 5 AM... and yes, they way I put it out here it is not balanced, I'm just throwing out ideas and pretty much all the ideas have numbers that you can alter to balance things out. Some ideas, like Lightfoot are rather silly, but at least its subtle : )

I think that's what everyone intended, that they'd be earned as you progressed through the game (not something chosen at the beginning).  I did kind of like the suggestion of "traits" though (mentioned by someone earlier in the thread). Maybe getting a certain feat would prevent you from getting a certain other feat? For example, you could get a feat that increased the renown you get from battles or a feat that increases the money you get from battles, but not both.

stygN said:
On the "deflecting arrows" thing.. I've seen some video with a guy who is really good with a Katana. He slices (more breaks) an arrow fired slightly to his right (so it would not hurt him if he missed) in 2 and efficiently disrupts the flight of the arrow. But.. to use it in a battle where you get several archers fiering at you, and some guys next to you hacking on you with swords and axes.. I think not.

Making some real nice martial arts presentation to make people see "miracles" is possible if you practise it long enough, so if the shooter is really a good one (to send the arrow precisely in line) and they practised a lot in controlled conditions (like distance, draw power, aiming point, ...) it may be possible (perhaps 2 out of 10 cases just to make a video). For instance, I can hit the tip of a jo (a Japanese fighitng stick) with my jo some 8-9 times out of 10 during practice, but the target is still and I'm not under pressure and I can't imagine I could do it once for a 100 tries in a real combat. Not a chance.
I've seen a lot of martial arts performances but the longer I'm in this business and the more of the best masters I meet the less I believe there are any supernatural effects possible...

So let's have the conclusion: feats like deflecting arrows with a sword (and other superstuff) are quite stupid, while introducing some realistic ones (especially refering to the economy of the fiefs) could be nice perhaps.
Like the ones stygN mentioned above:

stygN said:
However, to include this is a rather good idea I think! It would have to be a subtle thing, and perhaps give you some penalty.. Some examples:

Horsemaster: A normal horse can turn into "Spirited" if left in your inventory for 1 week (or more), you could also improve the "Stubborn" to normal, and then on to "Spirited". However, I don't think you should be able to train them into "Champion". If so it would have to have a big penalty. I can not think of any suitable penalty for this, maybe lowering the weaponpoints gained each level by 5?

Bureaucrat: You can claim more taxes from your fiefs, say 10% or so, but slow down the prosparity growth. So it would pay of in the long run. Maybe some other penalty, like random revolts in your fiefs, or the population not liking you..?

Weaponmaster: You get 5 extra (or 10, or whatever number) extra weapon points each level, but you can not upgrade riding further then 5..?

Prisonmaster: You can hold more numbers of prisoners per skillpoint, and get more money from them... Cant think of a penalty..

Lightfoot: You have a greater chance of escaping from captivity, you have a greater chance of sneaking in to an enemy city without being detected.. cant think of a penalty.

Masterchef: You gain more morale from food, but you also consume a lot more food. Good for big parties with lots of inventory space.

[Insert name] You need less food but you also gain less morale from it. Good for small parties with little inventory space..

[Insert name]: You gain +25 in base morale (so its 75 instead of 50) but you pay double wages, or 50% more, or whatever.

Investor: When its time to pay the weekly wage you get a bonus 5% on the money remaining (say you have 12000, you pay 2000 in wages, that leaves you with 10000, then add 5% (500) and it leaves you with 10500). Cant think of a penalty.. maybe something morale related...?

Scholar: You read books faster, need less int to read them. The price of books get higher cause the bookseller see that you are interested (since you are, you are a scholar..) so he figures he can rip more money from you..

I could probably think of more ideas, a bit tired now.. 5 AM... and yes, they way I put it out here it is not balanced, I'm just throwing out ideas and pretty much all the ideas have numbers that you can alter to balance things out. Some ideas, like Lightfoot are rather silly, but at least its subtle : )

Thanks for your reply AlienKnight. I hope you did not misunderstand my post about deflecting an arrow. I meant just the same as you did. Its possible, but not in a real fight. So, if we were to add "arrow deflection" we might as well add a function that gives your character a chance to get hit by lightning.. So yeah, we agree on this.

I believe I understood you right and we are in compliance. I never though you had suggested it is possible to deflect an arrow 'cause you saw a vid of someone actually doing this. So my remark was made to agree with you and add some more. I think this is what you wanted to clarify.

Quite so AlienKnight, quite so!

I am not native English, so my explanation skills are not always adequate. So its always nice to clarify the meaning of my statement so that no one thinks I'm a loony who'd gladly take on a regiment of longbowmen alone as long as I have a Katana cause I saw one guy deflect an arrow on a video ; )

A feat like that could perhaps be valid in a LOTR type of game, but no, not in M&B thank God.

Yes, thanks God!
Your English is good (as far as I can judge) and I don't think you should be affraid of being misunderstood. I've heard all children in Norway learn English at school obligatory, so the knowledge of English is common in your country.

As for feats I wish to point the economy elements of the game. Don't you think the game economy is a bit off-balanced and some character feats might help to address this issue?
I mean I saw a lot of complaining (which I join) about getting small money from fiefs or prisoners (improved in some mods) and propositions like solving the morale problems with money (you pay your troops better than average, they should be happy). The problem I have is that after some time I've got a lot of money I don't know what to spend for (even though I like to experiment with different weapons, so I usually have more than 10 of them inventory) while I experience other problems money could probably solve. StygN gave some ideas I find interesting to develop (which I promised myself to do) and I hope others would come with more...

Back
Top Bottom