Favourite Historical Figures of the Napoleonic Wars

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevon

Knight at Arms
I could've sworn we had a thread like this... any-who, this is pretty straightforward, just throw out a name or two, wiki links, pictures, brief biography, what have you, of interesting figures from the era! (The more obscure the better! We've all heard enough about Napoléon, Wellington, Blücher, etc... :razz:). Alright then, here goes nothing:

Robert Surcouf (12 December 1773–8 July 1827) was a famous French corsair. During his legendary career, he captured 47 ships and was renowned for his gallantry and chivalry, earning the nickname of Roi des Corsaires ("King of Corsairs"). *Shameless wiki paste*, here's the link (very interesting read! :grin:)

I just love this quote of his:

British officer: "You French fight for money, while we British fight for honour."
Robert Surcouf: "Sir, a man fights for what he lacks the most."

Statue of the man in Saint-Malo:
95photo.jpg

Saint%20Malo%205%20brodyaga.ru.jpg

I might try to add a small biography tomorrow, and I have another individual in mind I would like to add to this, but right now I need to sleep...

Yeah, Surcouf was amazing! :grin:

Bernhard Erasmus von Deroy (11 December 1743 – 23 August 1812) was an important general in Bavaria during the Revolutionary wars and the Napoelonic wars. Together with the more famous Karl Philipp von Wrede, he reorganised the Bavarian army before 1805. He led a Bavarian division during the wars of 1805, 1806-07 and 1809, and led the Bavarian corps into Russia in 1812. He was mortally wounded at Polotsk in Russia, after which Von Wrede took over command of the remnants of the Bavarian corps. Although being old (he has in his late sixties when he died), he had a reputation of being brave and solidly competent in battle. Already at the start of the Russian campaign he wrote to his king that he didn't know how they could survive that campaign.

Back
Top Bottom