Faction and nobles symbols

Users who are viewing this thread

Morcant

Sergeant at Arms
Even if some of the current M&B symbols could fit, the best would be to get several new symbols that would go on shields, and eventually on banners (they could be a bit like in 867AD mod but with a different shape).

Comes mostly from Ranika and Spongly research for ATW, a long time ago in 2005! Many thanks to them.

RHEGED

Urien's banner
A raven.

Gwallawc Marchawc Trin's banner
A horse (his nickname being "the battle horseman")

ALCLUYD
Ruiderch's banner
Golden griffon on blue background.

Variant (for another lord)
"At peace, they would display on their battlements a great shield with a twined serpent below a sword or cross."

Galwyddel lords
they make their banner of a yellow lion upon a patch of grass, against white,
or a red hound with three broken swords and a broken shield below him.

GODODDIN

Mynyddog banner - green banner with three crossed spears, with a broken sword under it.

Variant (for a lord) - boar with a spear below it.

Constentant banner - wolf clutching a broken sword in its mouth. 

MISC BRITON
Those are from the Notitia Dignitatum.

Felices Honoriani seniores

Celtae seniores et

DAL RIADA
Aedan's banner
White lion on red background, bordered by yellow thistles.

Variant (winter banner):
"In the winters, the banner would be withdrawn and replace with the second banner of the king, that bearing a great brown bear, rearing and set against a dark tree on a blue field, and that would be what the bearers of the king would carry."

PICTA

Fibbian lord
Great white triskelion on brown background with the images of a hound under and a hawk above, and a cross on both sides.

King's banner - sun (representing the king) over a grouping of animals

Various
p12-bulltaildown.jpg

symbols_big.gif

ANGLES

aengles013yb.png

Wodan's knot.

ATW symbols

Those could help.

Excellent stuff! I asked in banner request thread (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,27335.0.html) for help, maybe someone will do few banners. I'd try to make few symbols from pictures, homever I never tried re-texturing banners.

The traditional Northumbrian flag of scarlet and gold is referred to in fairly early sources:

gb-nthum.gif

It would also work quite well as a M&B flag because you don't get the weird problem with the symbols being the wrong way up on the world map. As a point of interest, an actual Bernician banner was quite possibly found during the excavation of Yeavering. Unfortunately it's not a traditional cloth banner, but rather a carved wild goat on top of a pole, with projections for hanging something else from the pole - I'll see if I can get a photo of the recosntruction made by the Gefrin trust, as it's in the museum where I work at the moment.

Pictish stone carvings
Some more stuff. Note this can be used for Gaels and Britons.

Bottom right is actually from an irish manuscript.

My Wodan's knot and two Varric's Pictish animals.

blank2mh2copy.jpg
viking.png
vikingi.png

I'll do more stuff later.

EDIT:

Pictish symbol, Chi-ro banner, Pictish horse.

demoncopy.jpg
pcopy.jpg
horsecopy.jpg

EDIT2:

Varric's set:

18348773.png
99778724.png
51160144.png
41400647.png

Yes, you can. The best are from Notitia Dignitatum, homever they're too small, so I'll search for shield reproductions.

I thought about something. What about adding standards? They can be wield by special troops. Here is an early version of Pictish/Gaelic banner.

Standard of Gwallawc Marchawc Trim, also called "the battle horseman" - hence the symbol on banner.

More standards on the way, maybe tomorrow I'll post them.

Some people think Theodric is the Fflamddwyn of early Welsh verse (Marwnad Owain ab Urien I think?) in which case some sort of flame motif might be appropiate for him. Don't use the Northumbrian flag, as that's the flag of Saint Oswald.

The Northumbrian flag is first mentioned being draped over Oswald's shrine.

If Theodoric is the "Flame-bringer" a dragon might be appropriate:

tattoo_thumb_dragon.gif

Other symbols would probably include similar things as other surviging artefacts, if the banners weren't just simple coloured fabric pennants. Symbols might have included bears, boars, birds of prey, mounted warriors, dancing warriors in horned helmets and so on:

sutton_hoo_helm_rider_small.gif
tattoo_thumb_tiw.gif
dance1.gif
BIRD_OF_PREY_BIG.JPG
Pict0016.jpg
The design at the top of this is a pair of wild boars
FINGLESHAM_BUCKLE_2.JPG
TR.jpg

And of course, as offensive as the symbol might be to modern sensibilities:

f_brooch_big.JPG

Back
Top Bottom