Evolution or Creation?

Of what faith are you?

• Creationism

Votes: 95 14.9%
  • A power of some sort (reincarnation/superstitions/fortune telling/etc.)

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • Agnosticism (evolution implied)

Votes: 130 20.4%
  • Atheism (evolution implied)

Votes: 239 37.5%
  • Agnostic or atheist and does NOT believe in evoltion

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Theistic evolution (a god guided evolution)

Votes: 90 14.1%
  • I'm really not sure at this point...

Votes: 40 6.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archonsod said:
captianstripes said:
Can i ask a question? Thank you, what is the basic law of matter? Matter cannot be created!
Um, yes it can. How do you think little babies become big strong men? :roll:
:lol:  Archonsod:  Combatting ignorance with idiocy.

Merentha said:
captianstripes said:
Ok well where did this energy originate from?
captianstripes said:
So basically for the "big bang" to have happened when one atom collided with another one creating a massive explosion or whatever, WHERE did those atoms comefrom?????
To these questions, I do not know, as I am not a physicist.  I will, however, ask why you can acknowledge that God has existed forever, but everything else must have a defined beginning? 
This part we've been over.  The Universe if finite and requires an origin.  God is infinite and does not.  Before the origin of the laws that restrict us so heavily, including the law of conservation of matter and energy, there is no need to show a mechanism that would allow God to exist but instead need to show a mechanism that would prevent God from existing.

This part we've been over.  The Universe if finite and requires an origin.  God is infinite and does not.  Before the origin of the laws that restrict us so heavily, including the law of conservation of matter and energy, there is no need to show a mechanism that would allow God to exist but instead need to show a mechanism that would prevent God from existing.

But the other people contradict you.

Did you pull those two statements out your arse? Explain to me why the universe is finite and why god is infinite...and if you say god is infinite because it says so in the bible then as far as I care that is just the same as pulling it out of your arse.

Merentha said:
However, the "might overload the brain" was not, in fact, true. 
Actually it was. If the Deer had another eye it would increase the percentage of the brain dedicated to vision, which would require reducing the percentage of the brain dedicated to the other sensory organs. Given the normal habitation of the deer (forest) then sight is probably the least useful sense it has; predators are far more likely to be heard or scented before they can be spotted.

The Universe if finite and requires an origin.
So does God, unless he popped into existence from the ether, in which case why the hell couldn't the universe :lol:. We've already went through the universes origins, I can only assume you either didn't understand or chose to ignore it.
Before the origin of the laws that restrict us so heavily, including the law of conservation of matter and energy, there is no need to show a mechanism that would allow God to exist but instead need to show a mechanism that would prevent God from existing.
Good try, but the laws that restrict us didn't actually crop up until about 30 seconds into the big bang, therefore what you posit for God is equally true of the big bang.

Archonsod:  Combatting ignorance with idiocy.
Someone once said the noblest cause in life was to shine the light of knowledge and dispel the darkness of idiocy. Unfortunately, the only light source I have to hand is a flamethrower :razz:

Archonsod said:
Merentha said:
However, the "might overload the brain" was not, in fact, true. 
Actually it was. If the Deer had another eye it would increase the percentage of the brain dedicated to vision, which would require reducing the percentage of the brain dedicated to the other sensory organs. Given the normal habitation of the deer (forest) then sight is probably the least useful sense it has; predators are far more likely to be heard or scented before they can be spotted.
Well, I was assuming that another eye would simply be added to the cranial nerve pathways before they are integrated in the visual cortex, so there would be no brain "frying", as I interpreted by "overload the brain". However, there would be an unnecessary devotion of resources to processing and controlling the eye.  Perhaps we are simply reading overload differently, I interpreted it in the context of "sensory overload", i.e, an overabundance of input leading to the brain shutting itself down.  You clearly read it differently.

If deer ate things closer to their head level (and thus not stoop as much), perhaps they could actually have a use for a third eye. No telling if that would still be as efficient as just two eyes and a good set of ears/nose, though.

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
If deer ate things closer to their head level (and thus not stoop as much), perhaps they could actually have a use for a third eye. No telling if that would still be as efficient as just two eyes and a good set of ears/nose, though.
Nope, two eyes is the limit, same as most non-insect lifeforms have two ears, two nostrils and (no coincidence) two brain hemisphere's :wink:

This is why most species of flatfish have their eyes migrate as they approach maturity, rather than simply having three eyes.

Rabid Potatoe said:
How do spiders work?
Poorly, the lazy bastards.  Oh, sure, they're all industry and hard-work at first, but they get one simple web done and then they spend the rest of their time just sitting around in it waiting for food to just fall into their laps!

Rabid Potatoe said:
How do spiders work?

They aren't mammals or fish for a start, so their brains aren't the same as ours (important point - 20 - 30% of the spider's body is taken up by it's brain). Also, calling them eyes is a bit misleading, they don't 'see' in the same sense we do. Their eyes have two functions - the primary eyes detect motion, and the secondary eyes are used for distinguishing light and dark. Probably part of the reason they make webs - if they were hunters, all the prey would need to to avoid them is stand still. To completely **** over the creationists, Spiders in effect have about 10% of an eye.
Another interesting thing about spiders is that they have no ears, so no part of the brain needs to be dedicated to aural abilities. Instead, they detect sound vibrations with the hairs on their legs, which comes under their sense of touch (often highly developed).

Depends on the species. Those with a book lung breathe via diffusion (through lamellae), others have trachea (spiracle) on the abdomen. It's a passive mechanism though - they don't have any kind of musculature for pulling air into the lung.

well technically the universe is eternal, because even if God exists, something made him at some point, and something made that, so we'll never find out what made everything, the universe has alsways been here and will always be here, and if God exists he's outside the universe somewhere, so i doubt he gives a toss about our little chaotic planet haha.

metalfish666 said:
well technically the universe is eternal, because even if God exists, something made him at some point, and something made that, so we'll never find out what made everything, the universe has alsways been here and will always be here, and if God exists he's outside the universe somewhere, so i doubt he gives a toss about our little chaotic planet haha.

Not like you can reply metalfish, you pirate, but...

(Please note I'm not a creationist)

That's the point, God would be the supreme being, and apparently (according to my Values Education teacher), there are 5 proofs of a Divine Being's existance. I can't really remember any of them, cause I thought the whole lesson was bull****, but yeah.

If everything is created from something else, then there must've been something that started it all. (or something)

And other such stuff. Really stupid really, but you can't prove/disprove it, sadly.

I'll post it if I remember them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom