[DISCUSSION] Tales of Pendor (V3.7)

Users who are viewing this thread

The sun was high in the skies when the last chest was brought from the cargo hold. Two men opened it carefully, revealing its human cargo. The master smith began to beg immediately after he was capable to speak.
“Blease, `ll gife yo watefeer yo wan, jus leme go, beg yo!”
Slim figure in long black robe spoke behind the broad-shouldered Mettenheim warrior.
“Everything is ready for the ritual, commander. If you no longer need this man, I`m able to begin.”
“Very well.” Forkanor turns toward the master smith. “I`ll leave you to Hanere Saldas. She has the power over you life now. Will she decide to kill you or to let you live it entirely up to her.”
Tamresh desperately began to beg again while his only remaining eye fell upon a finely made iron five-ray star, placed in the free section of the deck. The terror made his speech to falter when the black hood turns toward him and he saw the same symbol burning over the forehead of the woman`s face covered into it. His pleas doubled immediately and he felt a spark of hope for the woman seemed to listen to his please carefully and patiently, without interrupting him even once. Finally, he tired and stopped to take a breath. She spoke with concern.

“Was that all? Don`t you have any more reasons to live?”
“Wat are yo? Wat do yo wan from me?”
The woman gently glide his face, covered with fresh marks of burning.
“Your life. I want to give your life to my goddess.”
“NO! NO! NO! Beg yo, don do tis! `ll gife yo mone, lot an lot of mone! Beg yo, beg yo, beg yo!”
“I begged too, when my father raped me.” The woman`s smile was charming and innocent, her fine features expressing nor anger, nor spite. “But it doesn`t stopped him to do it over and over again. I prayed to Astraea for mercy, that never came. I went to our hamlet`s major, who was friend of my family and told him everything. He hanged me to my father himself. My mother locked me in the cellar and punished me again and again for the sin to become more beautiful than her, for the sin to seduce my own father with my evil eyes and my sinner`s female forms. My sins, my sins, my sins, my sins, my sins, my sins …”
The chant continue for a time before the Confessor came to herself. She pulls the master smith with strength over the portable field altar.

“I begged for years, to anyone brougth to “punish” me. I prayed to Astraea so long, so long, so long, so long …” Hanere Saldas shook her head. “It brought me nothing but more pain, for the sinners must not bother the gods with their pleas. Until one night my mother turn her back to me while I was still able to move. I struck her with all my strength and she fell without a sound and I hit her head in the wall again and again and again ... I took the key to my chains that she always wear at her neck and I crawled out of the cellar and then into the darkness toward the wood. I don`t know how I did that or for how long I was crawling, but suddenly someone got me and took me into his hands. Strong, so strong hands. I wasn`t able to see very well at that time but I managed to whisper for help with my last effort.”
Tamresh tried to beg her more, but she gently put a finger over his cracked lips.
“Before I lost consciousness I looked up to the face of the stranger. And I saw … the black horned face of a demon and his eyes, burning in fire. When I woke up, he took care for my wounds and asked me how I received it. He listened to me, to me, to me, to me, to me, to me …”
Her hands glided Tamresh`s chest over his heart.

“I begged humans and gods for mercy and I received none. I begged a demon and he dragged my father, my father, my father to me, put him over the altar, and then put a knife in my hand. Oh, how he begged, begged, begged, begged that night! I still can hear him, you know! I can hear his pleas every time someone beg me for something ... yes, I really can! BEG MORE!”
The knife pierced Tamresh`s chest and the daylight darkened for his eye while Hanere Saldas cut her way to his heart before to tear it out of the bloodied hole. And then something within the darkness reached for him …

Shaping the future part 2 – The dawn of the dead fishes

Shekrat walked toward the river with two empty skins in hand. The morning was bright and clear, light wing spreads his long hair and he could almost feel himself at home in his homeland steppes. He just fed his horses, but he was left with only one full skin with water so he decided to fill the other two before they leave. It wasn`t a good thing to take of fate that you`ll find water any time you want. The man could endure a whole moon or even more without no food, but only three days without water. And his small steppe horses were tough and durable to any climate, they could run day after day with only five handfuls of oats per day, but they couldn`t live long without water. He pushes his sabre back to its place and raises his head. Strange smell touches his nose and he sniffs like a dog. Then he saw the water surface.
The river surface was strangely colored and fishes could be seen with their stomachs upward. He stares for some time before to lower himself to take a handful of the strangely colored water and sniff it. Yes, the smell was definitely from the water. He issued a warning cry and one aravt came to him running. Their arban-u spoke first, sabre in hand.
“What happens?”

“The water. There is something in the water. It kills the fishes. Tell everybody not to drink from it.”
The sub-officer nods and sent his men to spread the warning immediately. He also took a handful and sniff it.
“Bah, it stinks! But it was fine water just two days ago!”
“Two days ago we crossed a different river sleeve. We were lucky. Let`s find the source.”
The whole group collect their equipment and rode up the river until they reached Elktrin village. Situated north-east from Silveredge town the village was ransacked during the war, some of its inhabitants enslaved, others killed. Still the scouts reported that the village is busting with activities. The group`s cherbi – Tun`Shehu, took her decision. 
“I`ll lead my zuut right forward.” She whispers with some efforts. “The rest encircle the village and ensure that no one is able to run away.”
The other four jugutu-iins confirmed their orders and left with their warriors. Tun`Shehu slowly rode right forward to give them enough time for their task. Finally, they came into the vicininy of the village. While they came closer, someone shout a warning and some warriors quickly barricade the main road toward the village. Twenty archers took positions over the roofs and infantrymen with swords and axes could be seen behind the spikes protecting the village main entrance. She waives a hand and one horseman shouted.

“We came to speak with the head of this village.”
“And who are you, to ride all the way to that remote village, plundered to the floors during the last war?”
The voice came from a strong man in his mid-forties. His armor was well-worn but in excellent condition and his sword had not a single dirty spot.
“We are warriors from “Honourable Guards”. Our warlord is Rambulhwa from Turkmani tribe of the D`shar nation.”
“You were the same dogs who looted and enslaved our country! Get the hell away from here!”
“The war is over.” Norbu snorted entertained. “We won. Now clear the road. There is no point of hiding any more.”
“Fine! But we will watching you! If you start fighting, our archers will kill you all!”
The barricade was removed and the newcomers rode slowly toward the village center. The mercenaries led them toward the newly repaired two-floor stone house. One finely dressed male of middle height and frame watching them from the upper balcony, his face twisted in barely suppressed anger.
“Did I not ordered you NOT do allow anyone inside, commander Cerban? Or I just had a very vivid imagination?”
“I`m sorry, ser, but it was necessary. They are from “Honourable Guards” and they wanted to speak with our chief.”

“Fine, fine.” The man sighed and murur under his nose. “Cursed brutes!” But when he spoke to the newcomers, his voice was neutral. “Greetings. What can I do for you?”
Tun`Shehu made a sign, and one of her bodyguards respond.
“We heard that someone in the North began to produce and paint large quantity of fabric. The warlord sent us to investigate. On our way we found that the river brought dead fishes and smells strangely. Do you know something about it?”
“Ah, you are buyers?”
“We are a large warband and our number is larger than ever. Can you produce THAT much cloth?”
“I think that I can! Wait for me.”
Soon the man exit the house and bow slightly.
“My name is Avarl Tronbau. I was mayor of Silveredge but after the war I decided to start a new career for myself. In the trading area. How many warriors you have?”
“Five thousands.”

“Very well, very well! Follow me!”
Avarl led them toward the craftsmen. The tribals saw some wooden stands and strings of cloth over it, but the local chief saw their ignorance and explained to them.
“I discovered a new way to produce cloth faster than before. And to paint it too. The innovation still require some minor adjustments, but the initial results are more than encouraging and I`m sure that I`ll be able to met your requirements very soon!”
“You don`t have enough skilled craftsmen to supply us with the quantity we need. How many people you have here? Five, six hundreds?”
“The miracle of the progress, sera, the miracle of the progress! With that invention large quantity of cloth could be produced with fewer men and even faster! You won`t be disappointed!”
Tun`Shehu looks carefully at the overexiting man and whisper with low voice.
“And what about all the craftsmen who will not be needed any more?”

“Oh, they will just find some new work for themselves. They could easily train for some other craft or whatever. Who cares?”
“Who cares indeed.” Her voice was but only a slight breeze. “We are only things for you, right?”
The man obviously had good ears, for he smiles broadly.
“Resources, sera, just resources! As a soldier, you know that you are dispensible. When you die in battle, another will replace you in a moment. With the other crafts it is all the same. When there is no war, your warlord will sent some of his warriors at home, others will become caravan guards and so on. Such is the way of the world. The progress always lead us forward!”
“And no matter how many of us will fell under it, or so it seems?”
“Of course! Nothing can stop the progress! But thouse who are clever and resourceful enough to use it, to take the advantage, will profit immencely! You and me, we could arrange a very profitable deal for us both! I can offer you …”
Tun`Shehu raises a hand to interrupt him.
“My orders are to find the source of that plague and to stop it.”

“What plague?” Avarl Tronbau stare at the masked female with sincere surprise until he thought of the river. “Oh, you mean the river? Don`t worry, it took only one river sleeve, there are other with clean water that you can use for your men! Nothing to worry about!”
She wasn`t convinces.
“The water is unuseable. It kills the fishes too. It is bad. And your … activities here are the reason for that. The old way of producing and painting didn`t polluted the rivers that much.”
“Oh, come on! Since when you tribals started to care about it? Be reasonable!” Avarl Tronbau smiles at her. “Just think of the profit! Your expenses for new cloth will go down at least with one quarter! What will you say for THAT?”
“I`ll say, that the water will become polluted too much. You won`t be able to stay here for long. A few years, maybe.”
“It will be more than enough for the initial investment, sera! And later I`ll move to another place, I`ll find some new workers and the deliveries will not be delayed for long, trust me!”
“And what of the people who will be left behind? Without water they will not be able to live here.”

“Ah, what about them?” The man showed signs of annoyance. “They will just move themselves to another place, some may even follow me further! The country is big enough, there is always another place to be. Who cares?”
“Me.” Tun`Shehu gave the signal and one of her men blow his horn. “I`ve heard enough. You will stop this … innovation … immediately and you will no longer try it here or anywhere. The cloth will be produced and painted by the older ways.”
Avarl Tronbau steps closer to the masked female and his anger was clearly visible all over his face.
“With all my respect toward your warlord, this isn`t his work to interfere! This innovation is mine and mine alone and I will use it as I see fit? Do you understand?”
“My warlord is the Hero of Pendor.” Came the silent answer. “All Penor is under his rule by the right of the conquerer. When he decides to stop you, you will stop. Do you understand?”
Avarl Tronbau smiles and then busted in laughter while his mercenaries pointed their weapons toward the newcomers.
“You know, fuc. you. I smeled troubles the moment when I saw you and I delayed you long enough to prepare a nice trap for you. Now drop your weapons!”

The woman however nod toward the speaker. Norbu spoke directly to the mercenary commander.
“Tell your men on the roofs to look around.”
Cebran Tomel hesitates but shout to the nearest archer. Shortly, the warning came from the highest vantage point.
“More horsemen! Hundreds of them!”
Norbu tightened the strap of his helmet.
“So you are a mercenary … Cebran was your name, eh? Let me tell you how the things are. No innovations are permitted without the personal permission of our warlord or some of his Twenty. Otherwise …” He glide the sheat of his sabre with meaningful gesture. “You no doubt know of our warband, you know that there will be no “after that”. You have … how many? One hundred? One hundred and fifty men? We have five hundreds. Which side will you choose?”
Cebran wrinkle savagely under his helmet. But he knew their reputation. His men had good chances against those inside the village, but the others changed the picture completely. He tried his chances.
“You can`t escape from here!”

“As your master said it very well, we are dispensable. We may die here. But there are four other jugutu-iins outside your village. They had their orders just like us. If we die here, for our families will be taken care of. What about your family?”
“What if …” Cebran tried the other way. “… I do help you?”
“WHAT?!” Avarl Tronbau screamed furiously. “You can`t betray me! I paid you in advance, you dog!”
“And I will give you back your coins, mayor. They are of no use to any deadman.” Cebran put his sword back in the scabbard. “What are your terms?”
“Those who knows for the … innovation … will die. But you are warrior, you have nothing to worry about.”
“Yes, I do need to worry how to survive without any denari in my pouch after that. We aren`t hunters or peasants, we were in the army and after the war we barely survived to become mercenaries.”
Norbu laugh at the sight of a man, capable to think for the world only through the coins. But before he was able to say something Tun`Shehu throws a pouch toward Cebran.
“Those who serve us will be rewarded.” She whispers slowly.
“NO! CEBRAN, you can`t do this to me!”
A warrior with long grey braids falling under his helmet standing at the left side of his commander put his sabre under the mayor`s throath.
“You will tell us everything we need to know.”

The mayor skin waivers at the slow wind while the terrified Ravenstern people took their meager possessions and load it over the wagons. All houses were searched, the floors hacked with axes to reveal any hiding place. Two mazes has been founded, all people counted. The caravan left the village, leaving no one behind.

Results

The murderers gathered in the warlord`s yurt and Nerval Mentrod bows first.
“The craftsman, who tried to produce the so called “paper” agreed not to do it. Every written information of its making is destroyed. The Guild of the Scribes and the Lapidary Guild are very pleased. All their members will trace meticulously for any further “paper” things wherever their members are sent to work.”
The warlord nods with satisfaction.
“Very well. Do we have an agreement with them?”
“We have, chief. Crippled warriors will be accepted and trained into their Guilds. And besides, those who are too weak to become warriors or physical workers will have better future there.”
“And the women?”
Nerval feared that point, but he had no other choice except to report.
“They … eh … refuse to accept lesser creatures without souls as their members and I …”
The warlord`s face, holding his usual expressionless features suddenly turns into stone mask.
“Yes?”
“I couldn`t disagree with them. It is the truth, after all.”
“I understand.” The warlord spoke with voice, equally expressionless as his face.

Sharal`s sabre spilit the man`s helmet, head and torso and stopped at his waist. The corpse fell forward and spreads blood all around. Nobody trembles, nobody comments it.
“Ooops. I slipped.”
She crouches and started to poke in Nerval`s corpse with the tip of her sabre. After some time she issue long and tired sigh.
“I can`t find any “soul” here. Just the usual flesh, bones and blood.”
The large Fjorg, sitting close to the warlord`s left side spoke with stone face.
“Search underr the bladder.”
Sharal put the tip of her sabre back amongst the remains.
“How do you know how it looks? Or where to look for?”
Fjorg responds slowly.
“I don`t know how it looks, but every visit in the latrines early morning lighten MY soul.”

The thunderous laughter surprises her. The gathered murderes smiles and laugh. The one-handed shaman from Torbah tribe however, whinkles savagely.
“Vata never mentioned to me anything about that “soul” thing. It is what the foolish foreign priests speak of. No real proof, just empty words. They imagine many things by themselves. We do not believe it. When we die, we stop to exist and that`s it. The flesh rot in death and feed the earth that feed us in life. This is the circle of life. There is nothing more and nothing less. No soul, no reincarnation, no heaven and no hell.”
“What of the demons, eh?” Fjorg wasn`t convinced. He was Thalo`s believer through and through.
“They are flesh and blood just like us. They call themselves “Baatetsu” not “demons”. We are calling them that, for they are so different than us. And they just live in a different land. When we killed them, they rot just like our dead comrades.”
“I do believe that I have a soul! I do believe that I will live again after my body dies!”
“Then you are a fool.” The shaman turn his back to Fjorg and took a piece of bread for himself. “You`ve seen a lot of dead men in the battlefields. None came back from the death. If you had any previous lives, you would have remember it. If you want to remain a fool, it is up to you. Believe in what you want, I don`t care.”

The warlord turns toward one heavily build Sarleon female next to the entrance, done in scale mail. Tough and scared, she has large chests and each of her hands were thicker than the warlord`s two. Her expression could rival his too. It was the hard determination of a warrior, who was ready to fulfill her order whatever will happen.
“Tarulan, you will assume the command of Nerval`s zuut*. Check Nerval`s story and convince both Guilds to agree with my terms.” He made a pause and asked her. “Can you do it?”
“One way or another, it shall be done.” Came the even answer.
“Vert well. Do whatever you see necessary. Do you need more warriors?”
“Thirty more will be enough.”
“Take another hundred, just to be safe. Your sister, Dakrana, is out of danger for her life, but I won`t let her to travel that far yet. The other two sisters of yours are at your disposal.”
Her stone face didn`t change at all.
“Antele`s right hand is still in pain. She may stay to help Dakrana. I`ll took Cerende.”
“Sent Antele to me later today to check her.”
She bows to him.
“As you command.”

The next cutthroat, Draco Nilens, came forward and bows.
“The blacksmith, researching better ballista, decided to abandon that research and to create thougher horse armors. He will experiment with some alloys. The first successful results will be shown to us first. I gave him 2800 denari and I promised him trice as much if he actually do that. He is grateful for your support.”
“OUR support. I can`t do everything alone. You choose his new research well. I`m pleased.”
The warlord nod in satisfaction.
“Very well. Choose twenty horses from my herds for yourself.”
Draco Nilens bows again and sat. The next one bows.

“The inventor of the Arbalest, his family, his smiths and collaborators are dead. I left two sepatate groups behind in a different ship, just in case of any remaining problem. The sketches are destroyed, all ready Arbalests are smashed with axes and hammers. The metal is very valuable, from the Mettenheim smelters, and it could be used again for better armors and weaposn. But I`ll need properly constructed buildings, unlike any other in Pendor. It is … secrets of Mettenheim.”
The warlord nods.
“What do you recommend?”
“Part of the town could be separated with walls. All craftsmen and guards could be from Mettenheim to avoid spies. If we restricted the access to the forges, I expect no leeks of information.”
“I understand.” The warlord thought for a few moments before to continue. “I accept your recommendations. Do you have enough coins in your town, my friend?”
Forkanor coughed. It was the most sensitive moment into his report.
“The population still recovers from the war. And the new demon lord takes most of the taxes for other projects he sees more ... appropriate.”
“How much do you need?”
He moves nerviously. It was a large pile of denari.

“My quartermaster assumed the costs between 22 000 and 23 000 denari. Everything must be indoors for better security. Guards must be placed inside, outside and on the roofs too.”
“Take 30 000 from the Doomguides. If you need more coins or anything else, sent me a message. And don`t take any risks. Better safe than sorry, just as you thaught me.”
“The situation at home seems worse than before. Povetry, losses from the wars, and … some not so good decisions from the Count could result in a new waive of Mettenheim settlers, seeking better life in Pendor.” Forkanor voice was cold and he calculate the possible outsomes with ease. “The new lord may not like new settlers. But if they swore an Oath of Fealthy to me, he will have nothing to say about it and they will be my responsibility.”
The warlord smiles and white teeth flashed between his thin lips.
“And they will be your men, not the demon lord`s. Their law will be uphold, yet he will have no new underlings.”
“They are my countryment.” Forkanor sighed heavily. “I know that I will never live in Mettenheim again. But their presence help me to feel myself part of our society again.”
“Since it doesn`t break the law, you can do whatever you wish. And I wll support you, whenever you want.”

One after the other everybody presented their reports, no matter successful or not. New war parties were charged with the tasks of the fallen or the defeated ones. Finally, everything was set and Rambulhwa spoke.
“Make sure that all inventions into your domains must be presented first to you. Whoever tries to avoid that must be killed without mercy. It is of upmost importance, so no exceptions will be accepted. I will expand it in all lands, soon or later, with merchants and spies. No matter if the land is ruled from human, Noldor or demon, we shall fight with sabre and arrow, not with things that make other things.”
“What do you mean with that, exactly?” Adessa support herself more comfortable and her fine features reflected her curiousity. “We won the war, nobody will challenge uss.”
“Just for now, just for now. But what will happens with us if someone produce a large quantity of crossbow, that can shoot twice or trice faster than before? Or even more? If every unskilled peasant obtain a weapon that allow him to kill a well trained and experienced warrior with ease?”

She inclines her head in silent consideration and then she said only.
“Nothing good for uss, nothing good at all.”
He continues.
“See the invention of the “paper” thing. The craftsman says, that it will reduce the cost of the parchments, it will allow a great deal of information to be written and preserved. Also it could be spread faster amongs large number of people. What good is that, really?”
Not any other, but Ansen, spoke first.
“The knowledge, just as the survival, is a priviledge, not a right. And it must be deserved. Many young acolytes who studied along with me were rejected during the years for not enough abilities to comprehend that, or another parts of the knowledge the wise men tried to taught us. And probably the most important lesson was, that there is always a price to be paid. Too many people use the knowledge only for their own benefit. But there is some knowledge that is too dangerous to exist. For no matter of the danger it represent, there always will be someone greedy or mad enough to use it. You do understand that, and I will always be with you.”

*zuut - 100 horsemen

Ser Ralad Baluent clear his throat.
“As a Paladin of Astraea I must object to this violation of the Goddessess rules! In the Book of Justice is written very clear, that the s…”
“Dear friend!” Ser Alistair interrupt him gently. “Nobody ever saw the goddess to write that book. Have you ever cross your mind that somebody else may wrote it?”
“SACRILEGE! You … YOU DARE!”
“To doubt? Of course that I do. You travelled with us for so long, you saw with your own eyes countless criminal deeds, false holy relics, forged documents of all kind, dozens of common people who testimonied to their chieftains and elders that their neighbors are demons in disguise just to take their sheeps or for a few coins reward or bribe. How could you no doubt in THAT?”
“Because I have FAITH, you traitorous murderer! Astraea chose ME for her Holy Champion and not YOU!”
Ser Alistair`s smile was wicked and mocking expression appears on his face.
“It is so strange of her to tell that to you ONLY! How the other people could know her will if she didn`t tell them?”
Ser Ralad turn red in anger and reach for his sword.

“You dare to doubt in my word of a nobleman? I will clear that humiliation with your blood! Draw your sword!”
“Oh, but I just recalled something that you told us before. You said that you were an orphan, no? So how could you know if you are of noble origin or not? Tzk, tzk, tzk …” Ser Alistair put a sad expression of his face and finish with voice, full with spiteful satisfaction. “… you contradict yourself just now, my dear friend. Think about it: you said that Astraea told you that you are her Holy Champion, is that right?”
“Of course it is, you simpleton!”
“Well, I could say that too!” Ser Alistair stick Fjorg with an elbow. “Fjorg could say that she chose him, Derhutak over there could say the same, or Jartulab, Nak`Sheel, Elnestra, Venisame, Shan-Kru…”
“YOU LIE! And if they say it they will lie too! I AM THE ONLY …”
“But see my point, dear friend – what could stop you to lie about that too?”
Ser Ralad bows to the warlord.

“Rambulhwa, please, allow me to behead this heretic! He insults not only me, but the goddess too! This blasphemy can not be tolerated! When we travelled toward Avendor many eleven years ago we all heard the goddess, when her voice thunder from the sky and her words were: "I am Astraea, Goddess of Justice. Fight to defend it and I will aid you when and where I can."
The thin eyes against him thinned even more. Finally, Rambulhwa spoke slowly.
“We were 291 persons back then and we had 56 captives with us. We all heard her. But for whom of us were her words exactly?”
“For me, of course! I am her PALADIN!”
The warlord didn`t move a muscle.
“Are you saying, that she could`t spoke to anyone else? To me, for example?”
Ser Ralad open his mouth to laugh of the ridiculous thought … and slowly close it without a sound. After some time he said with voice, heavy with different emotions.
“You are just a savage, but you are a just man. Well, at least mostly … Perhaps … she could have spoken to … you …”

Rambulhwa rose from his place, went to ser Ralad and fill his cup with kumis with his own hand. Warm smile appear on his face when he offer it to him.
“You are a good man and a good friend. See, you know that she could speak to anyone. To you, me, ser Alistair, Alissa, even to some Tenari or Baatetsu. Whoever SHE wants, whenever SHE wants. I suppose that the next time you speak with her, you may just ask her about that, and the meanwhile we may drink together and be friends, like we always were.”
It was an honorable way to exit from the gap he was, and ser Ralad took the cup with gratitude. All murderers inside the yurt raises their cups and drank it.
“At least …” Ser Ralad said after he drank his kumis. “… some of your race knows how the things are!”
“Some of his “race”?” Adonja raises an eyebrow.
“His race, D`Shar.”
“Hahaha … oh, my dear friend, you are so perverted.”
Ser Ralad look at her with real surprise. Cold shivers hold his heart in tight grip. Did she sent spies after him? Could she knew about his … playthings? He tried to hold himself.
“Uh…What?”

“D`Shar and Fierdsfain aren`t different races, but just different nations. Just because his skin is bronze-like and their is paler, it doesn`t make them separate races. We are all just humans. Noldor are another race, Tenari too. But not me and you.”
“How so? I`ve heard many people calling Ravenstern, D`Shar and Sarleon people “different races”?”
“And many humans are just brainless idiots. I`m starting to think that the stupidity is somehow contagious. Different color of our skin doesn`t make anyone more or less human. It is so ridiculous, as if the claim that humans with green eyes are different race compare to humans with blue eyes. It is supid, plain and simple. Noldor may look like us, just taller, but they lack hearts, their internal organs are situated on different places and they have organs that the humans does not. Baatetsu have two hearts, wings and three lungs, Tenari have three hearts, but no wings and some other differences.”
“I … I didn`t thought about that. I`m sorry.” Ser Ralad silently issued a sigh of pure relief. She just had in mind “misguided”, not … some other meaning of “pervert”.
“Sometimes the doubts are healthy, my friends. While taking something on fate just because someone claim that is true could be even dangerous. Check it for yourself, use your own brain and always ask yourself: “Who benefits from that claim?”

I am writter and you guys not know as my imagination is beyond limits, a Pendor fanfiction from me will coming soon here

Saga of Krafla Haengsson

First-person short story based on Pendor 3.9.1

1:

My name is Krafla Haengsson, I coming from distant lush land of Bellatrix located west of Pendor, my father was a brave knight which fought many dangers. I am a pretty Valkyrie which found after exile of my lover, baron Adrian von Blackstein as too many enemies wish my end soon. I have landed in snowy land of Ravenstern with just my surcoat, sword, crossbow, lance, few money and some items to sell in market

Old grudges

If some guest asked about the autumn gathering of the D`Shar tribes near Torbah any tribesman would have told him that it was the greatest he`d ever seen. The  tribesmen spoke, drank, trade and, in a large circle covered with low grass, fought to death to clear their old family or tribal grudges under the supervision of some chieftain. Large number of horse flocks – the pride of every D`Shar, were brough to sell or exchange and the Hoursemasters of every tribe chooses picky amongst them. Yet, unlike any previous year, this time an unusually high number of Singalians and Jatu tribesmen could be seen amongst D`Shar. But it wasn`t the only strange thing – a large group of tall, long haired Noldor could be seen near the river, at the edge of the gathering. 
Coming back from the Yusafsai craftsmen`s yurt Kassim stare at small group of tribesmen who offered challenges of game of bones, throwing knives, archery, sabre or spear fights and skilful riding. But when an elderly D`Shar with pure white hair and beard came from the central yurt and slowly began to exercise with wide saber, Kassim step back in the shadow of the nearest yurt and then turn back in wide circle until he reach the yurt of his chieftain. Whispering a few words in Rambulhwa`s ear was enough to sent him outside, weapon in hand.

Kathum`s luck just began to turn in his favour when with his peripherial sight he saw some armed tribesman to walk straight toward him with steady pace, followed from dozen or so armed bodyguards. One quick glance at them was enough and he left his bet on the hides, rose and swiftly left the place, sinking into the crowd. The other tribesmen stopped their gambling and just look at the imcomers with mild curiousity. Only the chosen warriors with red kaftans whose task was to guard the peace tensed and step closer.
One man`s shadow fell over the elder gambler and someone`s voice spoke with barely restrained fury.
“Ohtai the Cheater! So nobody made a favour of the whole D`Shar nation cutting your head yet!”
The elder one cover his eyes with one palm, trying to see the speaker.
“That is an insult! I`m a honest tribesman! I never cheated anyone!”
“Well, the day is still young, isn`t it?” The speaker`s voice tensed even more. “How did you dare to show your face here?”
“I came every year. But who are you anyway?”
“Yes, I suppose that a great cheater like you can not remember all of his victims! I`m Rambulhwa, son of Burzubai from Turkmani D`Shar! Do you remember me?”

Quick steps approaches and Shavaar bey spoke with haste.
“What are you doing here, my apprentice?”
“Master!” Rambulhwa bows with respect. “I just heard that this old cheater dared to show his face again! I`ll cut off his hands and I`ll …”
“You will do nothing of the sort. You WILL return to your training RIGHT NOW!”
The elderly one laught thunderously and slowly rose on his feet. Dressen in common kaftan from horse hide and weaing nothing more than simple knife on his belt he literally shaking in laughter.
“Wait, wait! I do remember you! The young Hero with the tenth fine horses, isn`t that you?” The elder one spoke with wide smile. “Lad, its been … how long? Twelve? No, fifteen years? And you still complain about your own loss? By Vata`s own mane! You really do not know how to accept a loss!”
The young tribesman gnarls.
“You cheated me! Nobody is capable to throw four horses ten times in a row! Nobody!”
“Ayyye … What a passionate but desperately misguided young Hero!” The elder one giggles heartily. “You aren`t Vata`s only favourite. I am just lucky. Everybody can have a bit of luck in a game of chance, you know that.”

“There is no such thing as “luck”! You just cheat!”
“Such empty words doesn`t suit such young and brave lad as yourself. But I dare you to try me again. What do you have to bet, if I manage to throw four horses not ten times in a row again here and now, but twenty times?”
The crowd around them became larger and the tribesmen began to murmur. Some even tried to hide their giggle or laughter and Rambulhwa turn red in fury.
“So be it! I`ll prove to everyone that you are just an old cheater here and now, and then I`ll have your head on the tip of my glaive! I`ll bet forty fine horses!” His face suddenly twist in evil smile. “What do you have to bet, old man?”
“Is my life not good enough for you, lad?” The elder tribesmen was truly offended.
“No, at your age your life couldn`t be that precious for you!”
“Rambulhwa!” Shavaar bey barked with anger. “Respect your elders!”
“It is all right, all right.” Ohtai raises a hand in calming gesture. “Since my life worth nothing, if I lose, I`ll give you my grandgranddaughter for your wife.”

“Hrmh! Looking at you, she must be at least fifty years old! I won`t accept such a barga…”
“Grandfather!” An attractive girl pierce the crowd as a wild horse. “What these savages did to you? Did they peturb you? You know that you must care for your health!”
“Don`t worry about that, Atlak! If I die today, you`ll find a good husband!”
“Grandfather!” The girl`s large chest trembles in outrage. “Seventeen times you did that and still nothing! I`ll reach ninety years very soon and you are still unable to marry me!”
“Are you really a grandgranddaughter of this old cheater?” Rambulhwa`s narrow eyes thinned even more. He wasn`t someone to trust so easily. “You really looks a bit too young and he is at least a hundred years old.”
“He is only 93 years old! And you must be more respectable toward your elders! But I heard that Turkmani are only a bunch of wild dogs who respect the customs only when it is suitable for their vile schems!”
“Enough, girl.” Ohtai sat and hold the bones in his wrinkled palms. “I gave my word.”
“Oh, yes, you did that!” Rambulhwa sat against him. “But this game will be on my terms, not yours!”

Suddenly four Doomguides in full battle equipment surround them and the nearest one gave him a set of finely engraved bones.
“These warriors will watching you carefully, you old cheater! And when they catch you to cheat again, they will shoot your fingers one by one, just as you deserve! And we will play with not with your set of bones, but with another.”
The Doomguides draw their short Noldor bows and concentrate over the game. Rambulhwa offered the bones to Ohtai with wide gesture.
“If you please, elder one?”
Ohtai took it, shake it in his palms and throw it over the hides.
“Well, well, well, just look! Four horses!”
Rambulhwa`s teeth creacks, but he took the bones and throw it.
“Two horses, a sheep and a goat. You lost.”
“Again!”
“Vata loves me! Four horses again!”

“Hrm! Three horses and a cow! Curse on you, bloody cheater! Again!”
“Come on, I`m a honest tribesman, just like you! Oh, look! Four horses!”
“It isn`t possible! … Two goats and two cows! Again!”
After the tenth time Rambulhwa turn pale. At the fifteen time his jaws muscles tightened so much, that turn his face into a displeasant mask of fury. And here is came the last attempt …
“Come on, Vata, bless my hands with your favour!” Ohtai continue to shake the bones. “Just one more time and I`ll bring you four dogs for sacrifice, I promise you that!”
“Vata doesn`t listen to cheaters! Throw the bones!”
“The young ones are so impatient! But it is completely understandable, since you saw my grandgranddaughter! Admit it, you like her!”
“Huh, every one of my female bodyguards is better than her! You won`t be able to distract me! I`ll have your head dried and salted and I`ll keep it in my yurt as a trophy!”

With agile curl of his wrist Ohtai throw the bones. Nobody saw anything.
“Oh, praise Vata! Four horses again! Oh, thank you, god!”
“It isn`t possible!” Rambulhwa exclaim in shock. “It just isn`t!”
“Well, it is a good thing that you owe me now so many fine horses!”
With a sudden movement Rambulhwa grab the glaive from the hides next to him and attempt to stab the elder tribesman. He was swift and accurate, yet before to reach his victim someone`s scabbard strikes his head and he fell unconscious.
“Throw him in the river to cool down.” Shavaar bey issue a calm order. “And then gave him ten lashes for disrespect the elder one. And twenty more for the attempt to break the peace at this gathering.”
Two of his daughter dragged his apprentice toward the river. The crowd began to disperse, lively discussing the event. Shavaar bey followed Ohtai in his yurt.
“I wish to apologize for the disrespectful manners of my apprentice, master. But he always has been petty, evil-minded and revengeful. Do you wish me to kill him?”

Ohtai issue a short laughter.
“You just described the whole D`Shar nation. Naah, the lad will learn.” The elder one smiles at his memories. “I just wasn`t able to hold myself back then. You do remember the feeling after your first victory. You felt as you had wings at your back and that you are able to slash three warriors with a single strike of your sabre! Hehehe, you were the same in your time, just as me in mine. A little remind that there is always someone better than him doesn`t hurt him that much.”
“He won`t forget that you took his best horses fifteen years ago. And he won`t forgive it. He will try to kill you. Will you permit me to inform him that you are the grand master of the Scorpion Assassin`s Guild?”
“No, there is no need of that. Only the Six Blades knows my true identity and thus it must remain.”
“But …”
“Forget about it! Better explain to me about the deal with the demons!”
Shavaar bey said what he knew. For some time Ohtai just listened.
“Are they really so good warriors than ours?”

“Most of them, yes, master. But all of them are far stronger and faster than us. As much as Noldor are superor to us, the Noldor are just the same for them. We lost the greater part of our combined army to so few of them. And most of ours fell not to their human warriors, but to Tenari and the two hundreds Baatetsu. We lost dozens of warriors for every one of them. And there were so few of them. If there were more … “ Shavaar bey remain silent for some time. “If they had a single army of demons on the field we would have lost. It isn`t possible to lay traps and hide reserves while their winged ones watching us from above. No shield wall or ranks of spearmen were able to stop their horned cavalry charge. They just trample over us, infantry and cavalry alike. Only when they began to impede over the corpses of our warriors and horses, we were able to surround them, to climb over their beasts and to drag them down and yet so many died. It will take us decades to replenish our numbers. No weapon or shiled was capable to withstand their strikes, no armor was strong enough to protect our bodies from even a sliding blow. The moment when our warriors tried to defend themselves was their death. And their magic … I saw fire to rain down from the sky over our ranks, killing warriors and horses just like that. There were no way to protect ourselves from THAT. We lost over a thousand warriors even before to reach melee range.”

At the evening Shavaar bey left Ohtai`s yurt deeply thoughtful. For some time he walks trough the camps until he stop at the saddler, offering his services to everyone around with deep and sound voice of a herold.
“What can I do for you, bey?” The saddler asks politely.
“I want to make a private order.”
“Very well. Follow me.”
One apprentice took the place of his master and the saddler invite Shavaar bey into his yurt and offer him a drink. The silence become heavy and the saddler spoke.
“What can I do for you, Second Blade?”
“Birhu, do you have any suspicion that Ohtai intent to make me his successor?”
The saddler issue short and ugly sound.
“It was painfully obvious ever since you killed the old khan, Sanjar*. It isn`t a secret to anyone.”

Shavaar`s eyes slightly widened and Birhu though that it was a surprise for him. Could that be real, however?
“Don`t tell me you didn`t knew.”
“How could I know that? Any of the Six Blades could be chosen.”
“Yeah, sure. You are his favourite pet from the very beginning and we knew it. Did he declared you for his successor already?”
“He made a … hint for it. And I came for you to ask you for a favour.”
“Shavaar bey…” The saddler issue a sigh and spoke with hard voice. “We were never friends, you and I. No matter what I did, no matter whoever I killed, no matter how many recruits I brought for the Order I remained only the Sixth Blade and Ohtai always kept YOU at his side and gave his favour only to YOU. I respect you for your fighting prowess and I won`t challenge your position as Second Blade, but do try to understand me – I`m not inclined to do any personal favours to you.”
“I … I still wish to beg you for that favour, Birhu.” Shavaar bey spoke after some thinking. “I won`t hold grudge against you, if you deside to refuse, but I still want to beg you for something.”
Birhu decide not to push him any further.

“Say what you have to say.”
“I … “ Shavaar bey spoke with efforts. “ … want to beg you to find some way to refuse Ohtai if he offer to take me for his successor. But I don`t want to insult him with straight refusal. He was always a good master to me and I won`t bear to hurt him. Please, I beg you, help me!”
“You are asking me for …” Birhu stares at him. “WHAT??”
“It is the favour I need.”
“But … WHY?”
Shavaar bey move slightly on his place, visibly uncomfortable with the answer.
“I`ve never thought myself suitable for the position of the Grand Master of our Order, Birhu.”
Birhu didn`t trust him for a heartbeat.
“And? What else?”
“And the simpleton I have for apprentice manages to strike a very dangerous deal with the demons who we fought with. Somebody must watch him carefully, for he is no less thick-headed and incapable of change than Yurmatai and without my guidance he may do something really foolish and kill us all with him.”

For Birhu that sound far more convincing. Despite Rambulhwa`s dedication and his blind obedience to every order, it wasn`t secret to any Blade that Shavaar simply despised him. The Fifth Blade, Kulhag, once even mentioned that Shavaar just hate him for some reason. But that had no sense at all so they didn`t gave it much attention. Still he tried to dig a bit deeper.
“Why you didn`t asked the Thrid blade? Ah, yes, you already told me that. Too straightforward and thick-headed. What about Nurhadach?“
“The Fourth Blade is just a too suitable for his duties. We haven`t seen such deceiver for a long time. Very long time.”
“True, very true. The benefit to have “honest face”, eh? Most people are so easy to such obvious deceit. Oh, well. What about the Fifth Blade then?”
“Kulhag just lost his second apprentice and none of the others is capable enough to take his position. Not any time soon, at least.”
“Uh-hu.” Birgu mumble under his nose when the obvious thought strikes him as a hammer.
“So you want to promote your own apprentice for the title of the Grand Master!?!”
This time Shavaar bey stares at him for a few moments before to hold himself.

“THAT fool? For Vata`s sake, NO! The simpleton is already too full with himself mocking the crowds with the funny title “Hero of Pendor”. As if some D`Shar may believe is something as foolish as “prophesy”. He surely isn`t the sharpest sabre around, but he definitely isn`t THAT stupid to believe in such noncence.” Shavaar look straight into Birhu`s eyes. “I thought about you.”
“Me?” Birhu was truly surprised. “But I`m the youngest Blade and I`m only the Sixth one. There are Five others before me. Surely they will be offended.”
“If I decline openly, they surely will be. So I hope that you may find some way to look … convincing. You don`t hate any of us, so when it came from you nobody will thought that you had …”
“Ah, I understand.” Birhu smiles with thin, ironic smile. “When I invent some reason why you – Ohtai`s favourite may not become his successor, you will bite me that I, for one, am nobody`s favourite. The others will found it true. If any of them decide to apply for the position, another will oppose, but none likes or hates me especially. They will all support you out of fear and that is another truth.”

“And you don`t fear me?”
Birhu just raises his shoulders.
“What is the point to fear you? I simply KNOW that you are better killer than me. And I can do nothing about that fact. But I also KNOW that if I don`t act against you, you won`t act against me. No Blade will act against the Tenets of our Order or otherwise we won`t become Blades, after all. I respect you for your talents, but I don`t fear you. It won`t help me anyway. If you want me dead, I would be dead and that`s it.”
Shavaar bey nods in agreement. Birhu was right about that.
“So you … will try to help me?”
“I will do what I can. I can`t promise you any more.”
“Fair enough.” Shavaar stood silent shortly. “And I thank you. I will be in your debt.”
“I will remember that.”

*Note: The Turk (group of tribes from the area around Altai mountain) names are usually hard pronounced. The proper pronouncement of the name “Sanjar” is like pronouncement of “sand” and “jar” together with emphasis of the sound “d”.

Justice

Rambulhwa lowers over the wound and bind it, but they both knew only too well that it was the end.
“Fourteen years of war, two main battles, seven sieges and eighty-nine skirmishes … ony to die from the hand of one drunk Pamiri fool!” Turbaath moans and then smile with bloodied teeth. “Fuc., it hurt so much! What a fu.king lot of life, eh chief?”
“You`ll be missed. But I don`t believe that it was an accident. Your tribe and his wage blood feud for nine generations. Several of his relatives died because of it. And his oldest daughter was kidnapped. I think that he saw a chance and took it.”
“A crime made in drunken state is punishable double, there is no point …”
“But his family will not be harmed and he knows that.” Rambulhwa sat heavily next to the dying man. “He must have considered the price acceptable.”
Turbaath gasped and spill blood.
“He surely can not fight me openly, the dog! And now he will lose only his own life.” He spills more blood. “But I regret nothing! I lived as I wanted. You were a good chief and a good friend. I`m glad that know you …”
Rambulhwa was visibly surprised.

“So … you don`t hold a grudge against be because I tried to kill you?”
Now Turbaath was so surprised, that for a moment he forgot for his pain.
“Ugh? What? When was that?”
“You remember when you visit my tribe for the first time, yes? Your father and mine drank a lot and asked from us to wrestle. I lost.”
“Of course that you lost!” The dying man snorted with efforts. “I was taller, heavier and stronger than you. And you were never good in unarmed fight, no matter how good you are with the glaive.” He smiles at the memory. “But you gave me your own horse as a gift then! I never had any other like him! What a marvelous stud he was! When I return to my tribe with him and told them that I defeated Burzubai`s son, Ganduk saw the horse, suddenly reconsider and allow me to marry Dirbalak! Just like that! This stud brought fame and fortune in my life.” He spills more blood and gasped. “I often wondered why you named him “The Evil Demon”, however.”

“Because this horse was just that – one evil demon! He stomped over my left leg and the shaman was forced to cut off three of my toes! He always tried to throw me from the saddle! Twice I had broken ribs and once he bites me in such a way that I could have lost my right arm! Why do you think that I started to wear metal boots and scale armor ever since I was just a lad? Just because of this evil demon!” Rambulhwa`s face reddened in anger. “I was so angry when you defeated me in front of my own father, that I gave him to you hoping that he will kill you!”
Gasping in pain for his next breath, Turbaath suddenly laugh trough his bloodied teeth. The laughter become stronger and his whole body began to tremble. Then his head fell back. The light into his eyes vanishes.
Rambulhwas looked at the smile at the dead man`s lips.
“Kill me if I understand why it was funny for you.” He issue a deep sigh. “One fuc.ing horse wanted to kill me!”

After the morning training all of Shavaar bey`s daughters spread around on their own. During the annual tribal meetings they had the most free time for themselves and they tried to use it by the best possible way. Only Sharas waited until they all spreads and decide to invite Rambulhwa to bathe in the river. Just the two of them. It was so hard to get him only for herself even for a little while. But now was a time for rest and entertainment, so perhaps she could …
She enter into his yurt and with stepping in from the bright sunlight into the dark yurt she initially thought that he just slept again. She made a few silent steps toward the darker part of the yurt where were the hides he slept over. And then her stomach bile choke her throat.
Over his hides laid one skinned and dried female corpse. Every santimeter of the naked corpse was professionally skinned from a true master of the craft and then the raw flesh was burned to prevent infection. Large mass of brown hair partly covered the rough gap where the right eye once has been pull her sight for some time and then, unable to hold herself any more, her eyes inevitably fell down.

The full breasts were also skinned, the nipples missing and only the rough scars from buring made her to think as if they were sliced and then the wounds were burned, or they were burned down to the very flesh. The countless scars formed a twisted, rough image of a semiblance of scales over the flesh of the poor female. Sharas has been seen a lot of corpses and all kind of wounds, yet when her eyes fell over the rough wound at the place of the female`s groins even she barely hold her breakfast. She carefully came closer to the corpse. What possible reason Rambulhwa could have to keep such a disgusted … thing amongst his possessions? Did he researching something about the healing art from the dried corpse? She carefully came a bit closer and spread a tentative finger toward the corpse.
The flesh was hard on touch but before she was capable to think that it wasn`t cold, the left eye turn open. One gray eye turn toward her. Sharas quickly made a step back and draw her sabre.
“What are you doing here?”
The voice came behind her back and Sharas instinctively turn swiftly and strike. Rambulhwa manage to hold the tray when the tip of her blace slice his left cheek. Blood streaks and began to drip on the tray and Sharas gasped and step back.

“You were supposed to have some rest amongst your relative in Rafsanjan tribe.” Rambulhwa knelt next to the living corpse and put the tray next to him.
“What is that … THING?!”
A hoarse whisper came from the lipsless mouth.
“I am SOMEONE not SOMETHING!”
“Are you one of Maltise creatures?”
“Put that sabre back in the scabbard and stop insulting Tun`Shehu.” Rambulhwa spoke while his hands continue to weight and smelt some liquids and powders into wooden cups.
Sharas`s eyes turn huge and round.
“THIS thing is … Tun`Shehu!?! How is that possible?”
Rambulhwa sighed, took a bit of the newly created mixture and began to spread it over the skin … or at least the visible parts of the poor creature.

“Better tell her, she won`t stop now, since she saw you.”
Tun`Shehu`s voice came with efforts. The growing pain made the speech harder.
“You mean that she doesn`t knew?”
“She doesn`t knew.”
Sharas came a bit closer, still keeping her sabre in readiness.
“To know … what?”
Tun`Shehu close her remaining eye and spoke with low voice.
“Your warlord found me deep in the dungeons inside the stronghold of the Radiant Cross Order, somewhere north from the town of Almerra in the Baccus Empire. The Grand Master of the Order of the Radiant Cross called himself a … “scientist”. The things he did in the dungeons … There were others, others like me … and unlike me. He was calling us … “experiments” … He was so proud with the researches he did there … that they did there for generations … “
Sharas slowly put the sabre back into the scabbard. After her initial panic, she felt shame for her reaction. Fortunately nobody seemed to care.

“How did you get there?”
“A raiding party must have took me from somewhere beyond the border with Sarleon. I`ve been told that my speech is of someone born in Sarleon.” Tun`Shehu trembles. “I … I`m not sure.”
“How could you not be?”
“I … don`t remember.”
“How could you not to?”
“I do remember the blades. I do remember the hot iron and the all-consuming screams … I do remember the calm, concentrated face of the man who repeated to me that it will pass, that the pain will pass out. But I do not remember my name. I do not remember where I came from, who are my parents … do I have relatives … I don`t know how long I`ve been there. Moons? Years? A decade? Nobody could say how old I am.”
“What about the other captives?”
“One after the other they disappeared. New one came. And then gone too. One night came soldiers with the Master. They started to kill everyone in the cells. Then some savages came too and killed the soldiers of the Master and took him alive. He said that he is brother of the Emperor himself and he will make them all rich if they let him go. The savages began to laugh and told him that they already took all of his horses and he has nothing more to offer to them.

Then the chief came and spoke with him. The Master was pleased to see another healer and they spoke some time. The Master showed me to him. He said that once he and Agaton Legatus argued about the female`s beauty. The Master said that the beauty is external only, while Agaton recite some poem, claiming that the beatuty is from the inside. The Master then ordered a beautifu girl to be brough to him and slowly took the external from her. First he removed the skin and then burned the flesh to prevent the infection. Piece by piece, very slowly and carefully. After that he showed her to a few selected noblemen and they all agreed that they could call her “beautiful” no longer. So the beauty is external.”
“I could say that too, if they asked me.” Sharas nod in agreement. “All people look with their eyes. The blind ones can not see anything so the beauty is meaningless for them.”
“The Master said the same.” Tun`Shehu spoke slowly while Rambulhwa`s hands continue to put the mixture over her. “He offered to show the chief his other experiments, he claimed that he could help him. The chielf said, that he heard enough from a sick bastar. like him. He gave orders and his warriors brought every single piece of parchment incide the citadel and put is inside the furnace where the Master burned the coprses. Then they put the Master inside the furnace too and the chief put a torch inside. The Master begged for mercy. Not for himself, however.

He begged for his parchment. All that he wanted to save were his parchments. Then he began to scream … to scream … to scream … to sreacm … to scream …” Tun`Shehu`s broken face twisted in semblance of a smile, as much of the remaining of her face was able to show. “I was watching him … how he burned alive and I laugh. I laugh all the time he burned … burned … burned … burned … burned … “
“Where are the Master`s warriors?”
“All dead. The chief cut off their heads. Both the living and the dead ones. Then he ordered to put them into the dungeons. Then the warriors brough battering rams and brought down all buildings, they fill the dungeons with the stones, put what remained over the entrance and covered everything with a earth mound. They put all the heads above and rode away. I didn`t knew where to go, so I came with him. He enlisted me in the warband and assigned Gaius Tenurius to teach me how to torture people without killing them. He said that I won`t be able to fight well, but I can help him in other ways.”
Sharas didn`t understand very well. As far as she was concerned, the poor woman was better dead, rather than alive in her … condition.
“Someone must remember what happened there.” Tun`Shehu whisper softly as Rambulhwa`s mixture started to work and she felt the pain to decrease. “And to prevent such things to happens again. Ever.”

"I came to take my due."

Sharas nods. It does made sense. Yet she wanted to know something else.
“Tun`Shehu is a male`s name. My father told me stories about the old chieftain of the Pamiri tribe. All the stories told that Tun`Shehu was cruel and crabby person.”
The living corpse issue rough laughter.
“And what am I now? Nobody will accept me as a woman any more. The Master torn my groins with his … instruments. I can feel nothing down there. I will have no husband or children of my own. They took everything from me. And because of what? Some ****ting argue between nobles over something that every dirty peasant can answear. So I took that name for my own.”
“I`d prefer to be dead instead to live in such condition!” Sharas spoke with hard voice looking at the terrible wounds.
“Every day while I`m still alive is a victory over the Master.” Tun`Shehu turn around so Rambulhwa could put the poltice over her back. “Because he is dead and his “science” burned to ash. And when the warband capture some “scientist” who wishes to experiment with people … they gave them to me.” The terrible resemblance of a smile appears again. “The Sarleon count was such a dear! I just told him that he is so cute that I`ll take him for my husband, and he instantly told me where he buried the peasant girls he dissected alive, looking for their “souls”. And I wasn`t even touched the hot iron!”

When she saw Rambulhwa to leave his yurt Fawzia approaches in haste. Her face was dark and stern with her worries.
“I did what I could, but barely one of four decided to left with me. I tried. I really did! I told them that only the hard labour and lifestyle of our precursors will keep our tribe strong! I told them that if we live as our mortal enemies we will become weak as themselves and another hardened tribesmen will conquer us!” Fawzia furiously spat on the ground. “They laugh on me! They told me that Torbah tribe is more numerous and powerful than ever! They … didn`t believed me!”
“I understand.” Rambulhwa put his hand over the left shoulder of the younger chieftain. “They feel themselves comfortable behind the stone walls, with slaves who fulfills their every wish. It makes them to feel as gods and they think the others like us, those who walk the hard way of the efforts and the pain for fools.”
Fawzia still found it hard to swallow.
“I`m afraid that they may find the truth the hard way. They are my people. I want to save them.”
“You are their chieftain, not their owner.” Rambulhwa pat Fawzia`s shoulder and started to pace toward the Noldor camp. “You can lead them toward the right way, but you can`t force them to accept the truth if they want to remain blind. Such is the way of the world.”

“You are taking it a lot calmer than myself.” Fawzia was clearly shocked from Rambulhwa`s calm demeanor. “I expected fury, to say the least.”
“They are free people, they could decide for themselves.” Rambulhwa spoke with pride. “Proud, independent, pervert and thick-headed! Just lke you and me.”
Both reached the first Noldor sentries and Rambulhwa said something to them. One sentry respond and run toward their camp. Soon a whole squad came in haste, all in full armor, tightening the thongs of their tall helmets.
“Rambulhwa!” Their leader exclaimed. “Falahalinalael told us to expect you at noon. Did you changed your mind?”
“Salohaniel, Eleintariel!” Rambulhwa bows to her. “It is always a pleasure to see your beautiful eyes.”
“Uh-uh, but my eyes are a lot upper than the place where you look!”
“Well, Lethaldiran told me that amongst your kind this isn`t rude or …”
“Eyes up!”
“Do you need to be so rude and impolite all the time? And you are calling me “savage”!”

“Because you are. Do you have it?”
Rambulhwa took a bag from his belt and gave it to her. Eleintariel open it quickly and issue a sigh of relief at the sight of the large crystal ball.
“She will be very pleased with it. I didn`t expect a dirty savage to hold to his words.”
Rambulhwa`s face froze and Eleintariel`s hand move toward the sword.
“That hurt me a lot, Eleintariel.” Rambulhwa spoke with dark voice. “I didn`t expected that from a Noldor.”
“What?” Eleintariel stance change a bit, ready to draw her sword and perform a killing blow. “You ARE a tribal and a savage!”
“I never denied that. But I bathe in the river just a candle time ago!”
Eleintariel wasn`t able to hold her pose and busted in laughter along with her squad. Fawzia remained her guarded expression, looking at them in readiness. Finally, the tall Noldor came to herself.
“Humans!” She gave the bag to one of her people and she ran toward the Seer. “We are ready. The horsemen are outside their arrow range and small groups of archers are all around the town wall. On your signal we may began.”
Fawzia interferes quickly.

“What are you two talking about?”
“The town will be closed and anyone who tries to escape will die. We are true to our side of the arrangement.”
“WHAT!?” Fawzia turns furiously toward Rambulhwa. “Why are you doing this? They are my people!”
“They are OUR people. I gave you and them a chance to live as tribesmen. They refused.”
“YOU alone told me that they are free people who can take their own decisions!”
“Indeed. But slaves or a free people they must face the consequences of their decisions.”
The voice came from Turkmani shaman, who approaches with a black horse. Vata`s voice came from his mouth.
“I came to take my due.”

Rambulhwa and Fawzia bowed.
“Everything is ready, Divine One. The blasphemers are corralled inside the stone yurts and none will be able to escape the punishment for the disobedience of your will.”
The god spoke again.
“Ah, I see your plot now. The foreigners will destroy those, who desire to leave their ancestor`s way.” The black horse neigh. “You don`t want to kill them by yourself and you`ll use them to do your work.”
Rambulhwa close his eyes for a moment and then sigh.
“Yes, Divine One.”
“But … WHY?” Fawzia understood nothing from the whole affair. None else but the god himself respond.
“They are D`Shar like him. He tried to lead them away from the way of self-destruction, the way of the “civilization”. He failed. Now I will remove my protection over them, and they will die. But they are still his people and it will hurt him to kill them. So he paid to these foreigners to kill them for him.”

More and more tribesmen came closer around them and around the other shamans, who spoke the god`s words in one voice at the same time. Meanwhile a small group of horsemen, wearing the standard of “Honorable Guards” came from Torbah in full speed. The Noldor archers released their arrows at them. The god-horse hit the ground with one hoof and their arrow missed their target.
“Let them come to me!”
The eight horsemen, five males and three females came in haste. Looking the black horse along with the shaman they quickly jumped from their horses and bowed to him.
“You tried to walk away from this without blood on your own hands, mortal.” The black horse move his head to look at the warlord, who stood silent next to him. “You gave order none to enter the town after the thirteen day of this moon. Yet they went there. What is the punishment of disobedience of your orders into your warband?”
“Death.” Came the even answer.
“Kill them!”
Rambulhwa gave sign of his bodyguards, but the god hit with hoove again.

“No, mortal. I want YOU to kill them. With your own hands. You will walk away from here with blood on your own hands too.”
The nearest of the condemned, Hatru, drop her weapon and bows as deep as she could without to fell on her knee.
“Divine One, I beg for your forgiveness!”
Rambulhwa suddenly rush to her and rotate his rusty-red glaive. Hatru`s head fell from her shoulders and fountain of blood erupted from her neck. Before her body to reach the ground the glaive stab Turmah right in the heart and with the backlash sliced Normak`s neck. Blood spreads all over Barkan`s face and he didn`t even saw the strike that splits him in the waist. Raldur draw his sword and desperately tried to parry, but the heavier blade just pushes his own until it splits his face twice. Once from his own sword trough the cheekbones and second one trough the forehead from the red glaive. The next strike sliced the lamellar armor over Fenea`s chest and her breastbone scatters under the furious strike. Raelan step forward, holding the warlord in bear hug and then shout to Freja to fight for her life. With his body and his weapon pressed to Raelan`s armor Rambulhwa releases his grip over the glave and pierce Raelan`s both thighs with the razor-sharpened fingerblades of his metal gauntlets down to his bones and then torn apart his flesh. The pain was too much and Raelan roars and fell, releasing Rambulhwa from his grip. While he was falling, Rambulhwa took his weapon again stab Freja in the guts right while she still hold her axe above her head, ready to split his head in two. Freja drop her axe, spill blood all over her chain mail and then fell back.

“No! Don`t! Please, don`t do it! Have mercy!”
Rambulhwa rotate his glave in his ordinary stance, the long blade pointing toward the ground from his right side, the short one stiking behing his right shoulder. He made a step forward.
“You should have fulfill my order. At least die with honor.”
She crowls back away from him and Rambulhwa split Raelan`s head on two before he draws the entire sword out of his scabbard.
“I`M SORRY!” Freja screams, desperately trying to hold her innards inside her stomach. “I`m so sorry!”
“Because you`ve been caught. For if you had choose to obey there would be nothing to sorry about.”
Tears from pain and fear streaks down her face when she cried.
“Forgive me!”
The strike decapitate her and her blood sprinkle all over her murderer. Her head rolls aside and stop in the hooves of the black horse. The god roars trough all of his shamans.

“The forgiveness is the last hideout of the coward! Is there some cowards amongst my people?”
“NO!” Came roar from thousands of throats.
“But there are those amonst you, who have forsaken the Way of the Hooves and the covenant of your ancestors!” The god`s voice thundered over the tribal gathering. “They worship not me but coins of silver and gold! And there are others amongst you, who wish to lay in stone yurts surrounded of slaves, ready to fulfil their every wish. Are you such people?”
“NO!”
“Will you let your children to grow soft and to become an easy prey for some foreigners?”
“NO!”
“Then hear my will and obey! For if you do not, I will abandon your tribes forever and I`ll find more worthy nation to become their god! Will you obey me?”
“YES!”
Eleintariel saw with surprise that all D`Shar bows deeply but understood nothing. Was that some strange ritual? Or a prelude toward an act of aggression? Her hand started to move toward her sword.

“Don`t move!” Hinaraniel`s voice came behind her full with tension and she froze. “Don`t touch any weapon or we are all dead! Their god speaks to them!”
“WHAT?! What did he said?”
“QUITE!” Hinaraniel started to translate for her. “He says that they must abandon the stone yurt and the stone walls, to honor their own laws and custom …”
They saw that all D`Shar bowed deeply once more.
“And something else …” Vata`s voice came again, this time full with fury. “... I forbid you to mix with the other non-tribals without ultimate necessity! Every such a child, born from this day forward, must die!”
One of the closest ones, Cilbatar-Eltuk, spoke with terror in his voice.
“But, Divine One, I have two wives from Sarleon and three children from them! I won`t abandon them!”
The black horse neigh again. Cilbatar-Eltuk`s horse stood up on his hind legs and his front legs shattered the skull of his master. The corpse fell and spreads blood all around it.

“I forbid you to conceive children from other non-tribal nations! For when your grandchildren or their children have the flat face of D`Shar, the round eyes of Sarleon, the white skin of Ravenstern and his name is Bjorn then what shall be his tribe? Whose land he will call his own? Whose laws and customs he will adhere and preseve? Who will be his god and for what he will be ready to kill or to die for?”
The god`s hooves thundered over the hard dry land.
“Those who lives in stone yurts or behind stone walls are no my people and they are no longer under my protection! My people will ride after their studs, they will fight with sabre and bow, they will live in leather yurts and they will remain tribals forever. This is my will. Will you obey?”
“YES!”
“Good.” The god spoke again to Rambulhwa. “Your new mistress is close. No doubt she is also here to take her due.”
“It is just that.”
“But a D`Shar chieftain can not be a slave to another nation. That is not our way.”
“I know.”

“Then remove your helmet. It is a helmet of D`Shar warrior.”
Rambulhwa did as he was told and drop the helm at the ground. The god continue.
“Remove the armor too. It is a D`Shar warrior armor.”
The scale mail follows the Torbah`s helmet.
“The boots and the gloves too.”
One piece of armor followed another until Rambulhwa remained bare footed and only by his loincloth. YetVata wasn`t finished.
“The weapon too.”
This time Rambulhwa spoke back.
“You may take the title of a chieftain, my armor and even my boot, Divine One, but I am warrior still. No D`Shar warrior will surrender his or her weapon wolunteerly. I was born a D`Shar, and no matter whom`s slave I`ve become, I still remain a D`Shar!”
“That is the custom, yes. So be it. Now get out of my sight.”

“I can`t do that, Divine One.”
Vata`s voice came again, this time with uncovered threat.
“Will you dare, mortal?”
“It isn`t a matter to dare or not, Divine One. No one into D`Shar lands can get out of your sight and we are away from even the nearest border, so …”
Short laughter followed and then Vata`s voice came again, this time with a hint of amusement.
“Insolent and impudent even when each word of yours is true. I already feel sorrow for your new mistress. Just a bit, thou. She alone is responsible for enslaving you. Now go to her. Maybe I shall see you again.”
Rambulhwa bow to him.
"Just “Maybe”? Divine One, you will not grow old, right?”
Loud laughter mixed with horse neight followed his words and all shamans came back to themselves. Rambulhwa began to pace toward the demons.

Qaggoth-Jeag sat over the furs in the middle of her court and the few representatives of her mother. The tribals surround them from all sides but they seemed more curious than aggressive and she spoke to Gaduilm.
“What is the point to dragging me here? Even “free” they are in my domain, they can`t went anywhere without my permission. And their “hero” is my slave!”
Gaduilm tried to be diplomatic.
“My Mistress, with only a single gesture you are showing to those savages three things. First, that you aren`t afraid to walk alone amongst their horde no matter the reacent fighting between you and them. They are savages but respect the bravery. Second, you are showing to them who is their real mistress, no matter who are their pettey chieftains. And third, after their most renown chieftain and “Hero” fall before you, proclaiming you for his mistress, none of them will ever even think of disobedience.”
“Perhaps there is some sense in your mumblings.” She took a regal pose and then stare.

Followed from all chieftains Rambulhwa came closer to her bare-footed and bow deeply to his new mistress.
“How you dare to approach me in such a way, lesser creature! You are nake..”
Untouched from her anger, Rambulhwa explained.
“My god stripped me of my title and my armor. I am no longer a chieftain of D`Shar. By the terms of our contract, from this moment forward I am your slave.”
“WHAT?” Zahir Khan exclaimed. “But …”
Ardeshir Khan hold his hand.
“Don`t you understand? He led the attack against them. He and all his bodyguards were heavily wounded, most of them mortally. Yet on the next day they were alive and well. Don`t you understand now why he sold himself?”
Zahir Khan slowly release the grip over his sabre.
“I see it now. So he enslaved himself for his wives may live.”
“Bodyguards.”
“Oh, please, no one believes in THAT!”

Qaggoth-Jeag hold herself and command him.
“Kneel before your Mistress!”
“D`Shar warrior doesn`t kneel.”
She was ready to order his execution, when Gaduilm anticipate her.
“My mistress can be generous and even understanding to your customs, slave. You may not kneel.”
He made a sign toward one of the guards. Pre-instructed, Jarbaath-Hrathgbrae towered over the new slave and pat his back. Although she did it carefully, as if he was a child, the lesser creature collapsed on the ground as a shot and creep forward until he stops with face burried between Qaggoth-Jeag`s boots.
Gaduilm bow to his mistress.
“Does this gesture of homage is acceptable for you, my Mistress?”
The other demons tried to hide their smiles and even Qaggoth-Jeag herself smile at the humiliation of the hateful lesser creature.

“MUCH better, indeed.” She raises and waive a hand to another slaves. “You came to me as nobody. A lesser creature, unworthy even to die by my hands. Yet you managed to impress me enough, so I may consider to bestow upon you the honor to become my slave. Are you ready to accept that honor?”
“I am ready.” Rambulhwa manage to speak, still stunned. “If that mean that I could look at your long, so long and muscular legs …”
Once upon a time Qaggoth-Jeag heard about the word “modesty” and wondered what it could mean. Now suddenly, she felt that she had too little clothes and kick back the annoying lesser creature as elegant as she could.
The other slaves dragged him back on his feet and equipped him with a new Demonhide armor.
“For your service to me I`ll accept you as my personal slave in my retenue!” Qaggoth-Jeat continuie, while her slaves equipped him with full battle equipment.
“I bestow upon you the honor to wear true Demonhide equipment, made from the skin of one Baatetsu from Benazi Family, by the name of Mreedvaardu. He was almost a Lord amongst us, but he dare to conspire against me. Now his wretched skin will serve you as your armor.”

She didn`t missed the nervous glances that the other Lords and Ladies, who came to witness the event and smile wih satisfaction.
“Initially I intended to give you his skull too, to wear it as helm, but in the end I decide to keep it in my personal collection. And the horns were too big for you and it would be unsuitable for you to wear it in fight, so I bestow upon you this helm, a perfect copy of his head, but with more acceptable for you size.”
The slaves put upon Rambulhwa`s face a rusty-red horned helm, an exact copy of Baatetsu head, which faceplate was carved with the perfect resemblance of Mreedvaardu`s face. Rambulhwa smiles and put it over his head. Fully armored with head, covered from the magnificent helm, he looks just as a demon, although a little one. He made a low bow.
“The previous owner of this hide was a traitor, greedy for your power only. You are as generous as you are beautiful, mistress.”
As Qaggoth-Jeag`s face froze in anticipation of more detailed speech about her feminine advantages, Rambulhwa`s eyes, covered from the helm`s faceplate moved over her court. While most of them looked slightly amused, one heavily build female stood as immobile as a stone. Just as he bow again a heavy black drop fell from her left palm where her nail pierced her own flesh.

“With accordance of the terms of our contract, this town now belongs to you, mistress. All people between its walls are yours to do with them whatever it pleases you. Our god, Vata, rejects his protection over them. No one will raise a hand in their defense.”
The members of the court murmur in pleasant surprise and Qaggoth-Jeag even pat her new slave a few times as a favourite pet, which doesn`t escape her court`s attention.
“A welcoming gift! How thoughtful of you, slave! They will be a nice sacrifice for Erida!”

Late during the same night Buthuut-Lotru drank another cup with wine and wondered why the town gates were closed during the annual tribal gathering. He felt himself a bit dizzy and decide that it was enough drinking for that night. He wasn`t sure that he would have enough strength in his legs to walk back to his own house already. He took a goodbye with Fadruut-Ilbatai and Goohchak and slowly left the tavern. The door creacked behind him and the darkness blinded him after all the lamps inside, so he waited for a bit to adjust. When his vision became a bit less woozy he saw some pitch-black horned face with burning red eyes. He blinks a few times.
“I should`t have listen to(hic, his) Nuthu`s stories for demons. Nah (hic), I drank too much.”
Before Buthuut-Lotru could remember where to walk for his home, Vrulthmostrtu raise one long black arm. She hold the lesser creature`s neck and hold him until Dalkartumkt and Ulstukmretsh bound him expertly. She gave a sign and forty Tenari entered into the same building. She led the others further.

Choose a side!

The group of eighteen Young Sarleon Nobles slowly rode toward Azgad village. The music become louder and they could have seen plenty of villagers sitting on long wooden tables from the north side from Mobray town way and further toward the village center, where the large tavern expected the weary travelers. Covering his head under deep hood Alaric rode between his Heroes carefully looking around. On his way toward the village he was able to see that the fields were well maintained and full with various crops, now he noted that the houses were well build and in good condition, there were none burned or abandoned. The outer sheds and racks were full with dried meat, the villagers, feasting in front of their houses were healthy and well fed. “So soon after the war and yet this village is so rich … I do wonder how they manage to avoid the mass conscriptions and the exorbitant taxes of baron Hereward. Anyway, the loot will be plentifull here. Finally a bit of good luck for me!”. Deep in his thoughts Alaric didn`t notice when they reached the three-story tavern in the middle of the village and one of his people was forced to jump and took the bridle of his horse. They entered inside.

As all the other houses the tavern was festively decorated and the tables were full with well dressed peasants. Alaric went toward the bartender and spoke calmly.
“A jug of your best wine, my good man. I`m a mercenary in looking for a contract. Is there any conflict around or wandering bands of thieves that need execution?”
The gray-haired man didn`t payed him any attention and Alaric felt his anger bubbling, but still manage to hold himself and tried again.
“I asked you something, peasant!” He put a hand into his pocket and place a heavy golden coin on the bar.
“There is no wine.”
Alaric hold the bartender`s hand while he tried to clean the bar in front of him and hold it in strong grip.
“I can see with my own eyes that everybody around is drunk or he will be soon!”
The man tremble in his grip, but respond with hard voice.
“This is an honorable establishment and we do not serve brigands like you.”

A knife presses hardly on his throat and Alaric gnarls outside of himself in fury.
“Do you know who I am, peasant?”
Despite the blade at his throat the tavern keeper didn`t lose his wits.
“No, and I don`t care. Osward de Fleur told me to say that. If you have a death wish go and speak with him. Otherwise I strongly suggest to run as fast as you can.”
Alaric raise an eyebrow ironically.
“Oswald de Fleur? Here?” He giggles. “And where he could be?”
The tavern keeper raise a hand toward the last table in the corner.
“Over there.”
Alaric left the man and went toward the appointed table along with his Nobless. On a large table, covered with food and drinks, he saw a knight near his middle age in exquisite set of full plate mail armor. While looking at him, the knight drank another mouthful of fine wine and fastidiously cleared his elegant brown moustashes and short trimmed beard.

Alaric spoke with anger.
“Are you the fool, threatening the tavern keeper not to serve me?”
The knight smiles at him.
“It was just that, noble Ser. Please, allow me to you introduce myself - Oswald de Fleur, at your service.”
One of Alaric`s Young Sarleon Nobles, Aragorn Jelartis, suddenly recognize him and pull Alaric`s tabard.
“What?” Alaric spoke irritated.
“It`s him!” Aragorn`s voice trembling while whispering at Alaric`s ear. “I saw him a while ago in Sarleon town. IT`S HIM! Oswald himself!”
“Yeah, sure. Oswlad de Fleur my arse!” Alaric push the man back. “A little more and you`ll say that the centurion is Syla Uzas himself.”
The forementioned centurion turn his deeply sunked eyes toward the knight. Something into the deep wrinkles around his mouth made his entire face cruel and merciless, despite his smile when he spoke entertained.
“I told you that they will recognize me too.”

“Oh, for fuc. sake!” The knight took his fat pouch and gave it to the centurtion. “I was so sured!”
Aragorn decide that it was too much of a coincidence that both Oswald and Syla were in the same village with them. He slowly step back toward the door and carefully rotate the handle. The door opens without any noise and he turn himself to run. When he saw who was at the other side of the door he reach for his weapon but it was already too late. One two-handed sword pierce his armor and his chest. Aragorn snapped in dead agony, spillin blood over his armor and over the sword pierced his chest and died. The Steel Legionnaire pushes the dead body to release his weapon and enter. Other Legionnaires, armed with sword and shields came after him.
Alaric and his Nobles draw their weapons. Still the two men at the table didn`t reach for theirs. The knight spoke with the same polite voice.
“If you allow me to mention, Noble Sers, the tavern is surrouned from an entire cohort of Steel Legion Order. So if I may dare to humbly suggest to drop your weapons.”
“These men wear the armors of Empire Immortals! Just in gray-gold instead of blue color!”

“Haven`t you heard, noble Ser? The Order of the Immortals is destroyed completely from Rambulhwa, the Hero of Pendor.” The Shadow Legion centurion waive a hand toward the Legionnaires. “The Steel Legion just found and use their armament. It would be a shame to throw so many fine armors.”
Another Young Sarleon Noble, Isuldur Roverenard, asked with fearful voice while his shaking hand tried to keep the grip over his sword.
“And … if we surrender?”
Oswald drank another mouthful of wine.
“I`ll think of something. But whoever drop his weapon last will be flyed alive and impaled.”
Seventeen swords fell on the floor almost simultaneously. Only Alaric hold his Morning Star.
“I will not surrender! I have an army of 10 000 men just outside the village! YOU will surrender to ME!”
Syla suddenly smiles at Oswald.
“I told you that he is an idiot.”

“Aaaargh!” Oswald removes his expensively looking rings and handed it to his companion. He throws a bloody gaze upon Alaric von Brouhaha.
“You will pay for that later, moron!”
Alaric prepare himself to strike at the supposedly “Oswald” and didn`t even saw the kick that broke the bones under his left knee. He screams and fell and his Nobles quickly step away from him when Syla stand and broke Alaric`s right foot with his armored boot.
“Take them and drag them outside. I don`t want to miss the spectacle!”
His men expertly tied the captives and did what they`ve been told. The villages dragged their table outside, slow and careful not to spill the feast over it. Syla and Oswald sat and began to eat and drink agan. In front of their eyes, the rebel army of around 8 000 Militia Recruits, Deserters from all nations of Pendor and some occasionally Young Nobles quickly dissipate, subjective of two-sided attack from Oswald`s Blackheart Rogue Knights and Adventurers from one side and Syla`s Shadow legion Centurions and Immortals, or better to say “Steel Legion”, for no former Immortal was ready to admit that he was an Immortal even under torture. They all knew what Rambulhwa did to their Order and their families.

The heavy warhorses of Oswald`s Rogue Knights trample over the Deserters, all of whom were infantry. The knights slashes and stabbed the frightened infantrymen, unable nor to fight effectively against heavy cavalry on the open battlefield, nor to run away from them. The small group of Young Nobles cavalry were nor skilled nor experienced enough to hold against such professionals and fell one after another in pools of their own blood. Behind the cavalry, the ranks of Steel Legion men methodically killing the rebels who decide to put a fight on small groups.
It was clear however, that the attackers tried mostly to wound the Deserters instead to kill them on the spot. After the heavy cavalry pierced the mass of frightened leaderless infantry and separate them on several smaller groups most of them started to drop their weapons. Those, who tried to fight or to run away were quickly hacked into bloody pieces and their mortal screams were easily heard from the two warlords, who calmly ate and drank their share of the feast. For a little more than just a candle time the Rebel army was destroyed. Hundreds of corpses covered the field outside the village while the rest were disarmed and stood on their knee, awaiting their fate.

Azgad`s Elder, Jerham Handen, came slowly toward the warlord, shaking in tettor. Both of them were famous far and wide throughout the whole Pendor for their bloodthurst and cruelty.
“I … humbly await your orders, noble Sers.”
“Tell your people to bring us more ropes. These pathetic rebels and deserters will entertain me tonight.” Oswald de Fleur smiles and his face twist in such cruel expression that the aged Elder drop his cane.
“Yes, yes milord, as you command!” He bows a few time as quickly as he could.
“And since were are here anyway, we will take the food supplies.”
With tongue, interlaced so much that the words were barely recognizeable, Jerham Handen dared to say.
“A hundred apologizes, milord, but we alredy paid the ruler`s taxes. We have little, but we will give it all …”
“You dare …” Oswald started but Syla put a hand over his shoulder.
“When I was in Sarleon two years ago I went on a theathre.” Syla Uzas took a small engraved plate from green jade out of his pouch and gave it to the village Elder. “But you are even better actor than them.”

Jerham took the jade piece and saw the engraved banner with the familiar snake symbol. Shaken to the bottom of his boots he issue a deep sigh of relief.
“You are Rambulhwa`s men!” He bows again. “Of course, we are ready with the necessary supplies, as usually.”
“What? Are you serious?” Oswald wrinkles in disbelief. “My men searched the entire village house by house and there are not enough supplies for even half the list you carry with you!”
“Surely they have some stores, hidden in the nearest forest around. Otherwise they will not be able to survive in these troubled times.” Syla took another morsel. “Fine pork you have, Elder.”
“Thank you, miliord.” Jerham bows again. “The south savages have many horses and sheeps, even some goats. And they are ready to pay well for pork and beef, fruits and honey. Usually such things are rarety in their steps and desert. The flour also found good prices with them.”
Oswald de Fleur put his bowl on the table and spoke with stern voice.
“I serve no one but myself! I`m not bowing to a tribal savage!”
“Yet you are here, doing what I asked you to do.”

Rambulhwa`s voice startled them and they look up. Sitting at the roof of the tavern just over their heads, the tribal warlord continue to enjoy the massacre in front of him.
“It is a pleasure to have such a talented warlord on my side, Ser Oswald.”
“I`m on my own side!”
“For the times … they are-a-changin …” The tribal spoke without any movement, still looking at the carnage. “A fine cavalry force you have, yet you`ve made the same mistake.”
“What are you talking about?”
“The cavalry is usually superior, and yet by itself it can`t win everywhere. The land is ruled when it is trampled by boots. The well trained infantry is equally important in war. With some archery support, of course.” The tribal sighed. “What I`m talking about is that I`m asking you now to join me. Now and forever.”
Oswald de Fleur took another morsel. Obviosly, the tribal pig had no intention to kill him. At least for now.
“You may pretent to be the “Hero of Pendor”. But I and some like-minded warlords doesn`t share your illusions of supremacy over us. You may lose your title as easy as you won it.”

The tribal warlord laugh without even to open his mouth or to change his expression even a little bit.
“I`ve made an offer to all warlords who I respect. Most of them accepted it, as you can see by yourself.”
Rambulhwa pointed toward the nearest house and Oswald follow his gesture. Several men and women came from that direction and he recognized them.
“Firuz the Brazen? Shiruzah of the Hallowed Arrow! Lydia of Sarno!?! Kapitan Gerhart! Verante Kruuz? Rufio Vincente? Toblik? Obrist Heynrich! Meregan Kierlic! Kodan?” Oswald`s eyes narrowed in consideration. Every one of these people was a renowed warlord with plenty of followers. At the sight of the last one he lost his breath. “Maltise???”
To gather them together …
“There are others …” He began but the tribal pig doesn`t let him to finish.
“I know. Have you asked yourself why I asked you to capture this miserable “rebel army” instead to do it myself?”
He made a gesture and Sharas came closer and emptied a large sack in Oswald`s feet. He jumps and draw his rune sword when the dried heads rolls in his feet.
“Grandilon, Burilgi, Shalavan, Lothario, Jarrin Maersow, Timothy … Boris?“ Oswald saw the last head and mute for a brief moment before to continue. “… and Kaspax?!?”

“On my side stand Ithilrandir and Aeldarian of Noldor, K`Juda, Zulkar and Shiruzah of Jatu, Obrist and Gerhart of Mettenheim, Verante Kruuz and Toblic of Veccavia, Firuz, Bashtu and Tenesra of Singalians, Lydia of Melitine, Rufio of Barcley, Wolfbode of Mystmountain and my own Twenty. Well, some others too. The greatest warlord the world have today decided to support me. Today is your turn. Join me and share the future with me.”
“Or … what?” Oswald asks without any fear.
“Or I will leave you be. I will do no harm to you or to your people. You may go wherever you want whenever you want. And after some time your name will be forgotten or it will remain somewhere in a dusty parchment, known only from some equally dusty scald or sribe. And you will be forgotten.”
“It happens with everyone, soon or later. What can you offer me?”
“Something more.”
“I won`t bow to you.” Oswald spoke with hard determination.
“I don`t need your bows nor I want it. I`m asking for your support. It is too late for anyone else to fight for the tithle of “Hero of Pendor”.

“But I can take it from your dead body. When I sit on my horse with weapon in hand no one can stand against me! Do you dare to fight me?”
Syla Uzas tried to stop him.
“Don`t be a fool. I tried too. And I failed.”
“I`m stronger than you! And unlike you I`m not afraid from gods, kings or some tribal swine who believes himself better than me!”
One tribesman brought a short D`Shar horse from their mountain breed. Sturdy and tough as a nail, but not especially fast and considerably lighter than any knight`s warhorse. The tribal warlord himself hold one heavy sabre on his lap.
“If you manage to defeat me in this duel the title of “Hero of Pendor” will be your. But if I manage to defeat you, you will join me and you will remain on my side forever.”
Oswald smiles. It was better than his best expectations. He called for his horse.
“Agreed!”
Syla Uzas tried one last time.

“You already lost! He is one cursed, bloody bas… ah, mean peson! Gave up!”
“Stand aside and watch a real warlord!” Oswald look at Syla with some sorrow. “I`ve never expected from YOU to gave …”
Oswald fell silent when he saw how the tribal pit jump from the low end of the roof on the ground and drop his sabre as piece of junk. One bodyguard throw some rusty-red glaive and Rambulhwa catch skillfully. Then instead the small D`Shar horse two large men brought …
The huge, two-tons heavy beast was pitch-black and higher than any horse Oswald had ever seen in his life. Covered with equally black armor plates the monstrosity gnales as good as any bear. If any bear had such horns, of course. The tribal pit himself drop his scale mail and quickly exchange it for some strange new armor. But when he put the helm over his head and climp over the monster of a horse he had, Oswald could easity took him for some demon.
Two of his own knights came with his warhorse. In any other moment, the heavy Imperial Dark Stallion would have been bigger and heavier than his opponent, yet compare to the black monster it look considerably smaller despite the thick metal armor. His stallion height terrified and tried to step back. With considerable efforts Oswald manage to climb it and took his Lance.

The square next to the tavern was long emptied from everyone but the warriors, although a few brave peasants climbed on the roofs to watch. Oswald pointed his lance forward and kick his warhorse in attack. With mad neight the animal rushed forward. The horned monster came against him and Oswald tried the only thing that he could. He pointed his lance toward the black monster`s head. Closing toward the inevitable impact the black monster issued such a roar that the trained warhorse raises on his back legs with terrified neight. In the next moment the monster turn his head to his right side and hit the smaller animal with his armored chest with such strength that his irons didn`t endured and Oswald literally flyed out of his saddle and landed heavy on his left side. The impact with the hard land make him to lost his consciousness for a short time and then his body rolls a few times from the tremendous strength of the strike. Fortunately for Oswald, the warhorse took the main damage and fell with crushed chest. The black monster roars victoriously and came closer to Oswald himself, who lay helpless and unable to stand due to the weight of his armor.
Rambulhwa leaned aside from his Demonic Charger and put the longer blade of his weapon under Oswald`s helmet.
“You lost.”

“NO! YOU CHEATED ME!”
“Oh, you are such a sore loser!”
The tribal pig spoke to the other warlords.
“What do you think, honorable ones? Did I won honestly, or I cheated him?”
Lydia of Sarno giggles.
“You led him to believe that you will fight him with sabre and riding the small horse over there. But that by itself isn`t a cheat.” She spoke to Oswald himself. “I`m sorry, Ser Oswald, but you lost.”
The other warlords spoke in her support and Oswald understood that he had no other chance but to admit his defeat. His men helped him to stand on his feet and gave him back his rune sword. Still a bit stunned and heavily bruised, but otherwise unharmed Oswald saw how the tribal pig turn toward Maltisse and spoke to her. His fury overwhelmed him. He walks toward his unprotected back, sword in hand. Of course, someone shout a warning and Rambulhwa turns toward him before Oswald could reach him. With one gesture he stopped the others, trying to protect him and met him again on foot. Oswald parry the first four strikes toward his feets and tried to came closer, for the tribesman had the advantage of the longer reach. His exquisite sword withstand the strikes of the heavier glaive and with masterfully feignt he manage to mark the strange leather-looking armor with a few scratches, which, for his great surprise, endure his strikes.

From the stutter during the first impacts he understood that he is stronger than his opponent. Rambulhwa also notice it and start to avoid his strikes instead to parry it briefly and then counter attack. His blade left deep scratches all over Oswald`s chestplate, pauldrons and sabatons, making him to stop his advance and move into full defense. Faster than Oswald could have anticipated, the tribesman began to stab toward his face and groins. He repel the strikes and tried to slash his arms, when their weapons crossed, but the armored gauntlets also endured his blade. Then his opponent step aside and hit him with the hilt of his weapon with enough force so Oswald made a step back. The slashing stuck the long blade into his chestplate, but the armor endure and Oswald hold the enemy`s wepon hilt with strong grip and he knew that the tribesman had not enough strength to pull it back. He expected a pull and Oswald also pull to himself, ready to take the enemy`s weapon out of his wielder. In the next moment, instead to pull, Rambulhwa push the weapon and Oswald staggered and then Rambulhwa step aside to his left and kick the unprotected backside of his foot under the knee. Oswald`s bone broke instantly under the heavy armored boot with short spikes shaped like nails. Blood colored the armor. He roars and fell on his face.

“You are almost as skilled as myself.” The tribesman`s voice came without anger, but with … admiration. “To endure clear strike in the chest with nothing but a twitching … you are definitely way stronger than me. You will be a wonderful warlord amongst my allies and supporters.”
“NEVER! I`LL KILL YOU!”
With his armored boot Rambulhwa kick Oswald`s right foot, breaking it instantly and Oswald roars in fury and pain but he was unable to turn back. The same voice came again.
“You have 206 bones in your body. How many I must break until you feel yourself ready to support me?”
Oswald was hard pressed on his face but he tried to use his superior strength to raise again. He dropp the weapons and place his both hands on the ground trying to get up.
“YOU ARE DEADM…”
Rambulhwa waited until Oswald started to lift his armored chest from the ground and used his position to strike into a vulnerable part into the full plate armor set. Razor-sharp nails pierced the flesh under his right arm and Oswald was unable to speak from pain.

“You were saying?”
Oswald issue such a furious roar, that some of the nearest horses step back and neight fearfully when he used all his strength and fury to get up. Yet the cursed tribesman just push the fingerblades of his both gauntlets deeper into the susceptible flesh. More blood soak the armored gauntlet but despite Oswalds roars and twisting it was clear, that he was unable to get up. Rambulhwa push the fingerblades deeper extremely careful.
“The human body has some limitations than no one is able to overwhelm. Your endurance toward pain is impressive too.”
This time Oswald could not say even a single word, for the growing pain required all of his endurance and willpower not to scream in agony. The tribesman continue with calm voice as if they both had a casual conversation over a cup with kumis.
“You are a remarkable warrior, warlord and leader. One of the best, actually, and I assure you, I won`t let you die and waste your considerable talents in vain due to your equial thick-skull.”
Rambulhwa suddenly pull back his both gauntlets and Oswald fell on his face again, unable to take a breath in pain. In the next moment he felf two blades on his neck, under the helmet, and the tribesman spoke with low voice for his ears only.

“But if you continue to refuse, I`ll crush just one vertebrae here and you`ll remain completely paralyzed down from your neck. Then I`ll feed you and tie you to a horse so everyone could see that you are on my side. And if you die …” The blades tap on his skin a few times leaving a few blood drops. “Then I`ll skin your face and some of my warriors will wear it in with your armor.”
Rambulhwa step back and gave a sign. Four strong warriors lifted Oslwald and put him over a litter.
“I will ask you …, no, I will beg you once more to reconsider. Your talents and abilities will be of great help to me and I hope that we can work together.”
The gathered warlords watched in astonished silence how Rambulhwa bow deeply to the defeated one. Shortly, Oslwald spoke with choked in pain, but clear voice.
“I accept your … proposal. But I will ask you something. Why do you need my help so much? I`m just one man.”

The fall of a civilization(part 1)
In the old days of Pendor continent, it was the days of magic, the days of chaos, devils are everywhere, and in that critical circumstance, born a heroic civilization.

How an adorable morning today, the muffled night swore off from its freeze for a brand new dawn, the Sun shines again in the Holy City of  Ufnetea, its vitality spreads widely among creatures, the human wake up after a long dream and go back to their daily works. But, instead of doing common activities as other days, today the city celebrates a dramatic festival to welcome their sons, husbands, fathers who have just returned from a recent bloody war.

It has been a long time ago since the victorious legions of the king left the city a great crusade. It’s seven months ago when the royal prophet saw an invading force through his nightmare: a demon with millions of their partisans rampaging over the land, his wings cover the sun and his mouth continuously utters curses, and there’s also an angel, an angel with a pure white wings brings resurrection to all over the continent, he uses his bow to sweep out the minions and his enchanted blade to slash the demon’s wings, his feet, and his throat. The next morning, the prophet rushed to the throne room and reported to the king:
“Your majesty, you have to hurry.”
“Why, is there anything extraordinary, mate?”
“Th…the demon, your majesty, w…..we don’t have much time left.” He responded tremulously.
“But…..wha…….what happened? Tell me more, now!”-said the king.
The prophet calmed down and started to tell the story:
“Last night in my dream, I saw a massive demon, along with his minions were raging all over the land, they killed every life they encountered on their path. I reckon you know what does that mean, Sir.”
“They are….. the Eyegrim? And his Heretics comrades? Again?”
“Exactly, my lord. And I also saw an angel whom defeated the undead army and bring life to everything again, I believe that angel should be us.”
“What is the exact enormity of their army?”
“Massive, my lord, they are many.”
“Ok, thanks for that, I will prepare to engage them, tell the valets to hold a recruitment ceremony tomorrow.”
“Consider it done, sir!”.
The day passed like every day.
The recruitment ceremony took place in the next day, initiated by a declaration of reason:
“Good morning to all my dear citizen, wish the Sun is with you in everything you do. Thank you all for building such a wonderful metropolis, it’s my pleasure to be your king. BUT, I scare it’s no more.”
The crowd was ecstatic. The king continued:
“Through a horrible nightmare, our Wisdom Goddess Eojovxaqe told him a stunning news: our old enemy, the Demons King is coming with their henchmen-the Heretics, this time is a massive army by them, I guess they’ve put all of their strength. As we are the oldest and highest race among this land, this is our destiny to stop them, this battle, unlike any previous battle, will be much more dolorous, much more disastrous and the loss will be also much greater. So this is my appeal to all the people of Ufnetea, if you can bear a sword you are recruited, if you can bear a spear you are recruited, if you can’t wield any weapon, we also need medics and engineers. I, Tafketg the I of the Likqviq, will not betray my oath I swore before you. Gods and Goddesses bless you!”.
It’s not uncommon that the citizen volunteered to join the army in huge numbers due to its renown of patriotism.
The next day, the civilian held a small festival to goodbye their soldiers. King Tafketg vested his son-Prince Yannap- the title of Cavalry Marshal and his brother-Prince Eqgusviq- the title of Infantry Marshal. The city sang triumphant chants to encourage their its children. The appearance of the sun is the sign for the departure. “The Angel” marched straight toward the recently landed undead horde.

Choose a side! (part 2)

“You already knows the answer of that question.” The hateful tribal pig laught lightly and pull some bandages from under his belt while the warriors began to remove Oswald`s breastplate.
“I`m warlord and a warrior.” Oswald presses his teeth hard in pain.
“And plenty of people are calling you “mad dog”, “crazy torturer” and ****pile of other not so polite words.” Rambulhwa began to clean Oswald`s wounds. “Yet they all whisper them … behind your back, for they not dare to say it in your face. What does that mean?”
Oswald didn`t need to think over THAT answer.
“Because they **** their pants in fear when they see my face.”
“Exactly!”
The exclamation surprises Oswald and he could only stare at the tribesman.
“Ugh?”
“You are really an exceptional warlord and warrior. Also you are good in the torture area too. You are capable to inflict such fear into the people that many of them prefer to run away instead to fight you. An admirable trait, if you ask me.”
Oswald gnarls when Rambulhwa took a piece of his skin and generously spill disinfectant all over his wounds. But the pain from the insult overwhelmed the physical pain.

“Only good?? I am the best warlord in the whole Pendor, you filthy savage!”
The tribesman just began to bandage the wounds with barely a shrug.
“The truth is often painful. For you, me and everybody else.”
Rambulhwa finishes with Oswald`s wounds and called his people to lift him.
“No alcohol for a moon from now on. I want you too feel the pain in full consciousness and to remember it well. Now, since we are done with the pleasure, we must speak for the work.”
He spoke to all warlords around.
“From the most capable and competent warlords known to me, you are the best. And you accepted my humble offer. You won`t regret for your decision. Yet there are two more – Morcas, baron Verral and Velasco Durante, who refused. You will take your warriors and you will ambush them in their camps near Marleon and Valonbray. You will kill or capture them and every single man, woman or child into their warbands and you will bring them to me in Javiksholm when you are ready.”
The tribal warlord spoke with dry voice and impenetrable expression.

“Every dead man must be beheaded. Every deserter or escapee must be chased and brought back or his head. If someone jumps into a pit, 10 warriors must be sent after him to bring him back or his head. If someone throws himself into a river or a waterfall, you must send more warriors to bring him back. Do not “assume” anything. No one must be considered for dead until you see him or his head. There is no place for mistakes for that.”
“And what will you do in the meantime?” Kaptain Gerhart asks with equally hard expression.
“I must clean the last town of D`Shar from the blasphemers. The Singalians and some Jatu will join me in Singal. After I took all the captives, I must return to Javiksholm to the Demon Princess who will rull Pendor. Now she owns me and I must put myself at her disposal immediately after I fulfill my obligations toward Vata and Vejovis. You will come with me, for I need to present yourself to her as my allies. You will bow to her and you will recognize her authourity over Pendor. Or over the world, if she desire to own it. I certainly hope so.”
“For there will be fighting, killing, gold and more fiefs to rule for every one of us too.”  Kodan issued rough laugher and the other warlords shared his savage joy.

Later during the night, when Alaric`s screams fills the air, Oswald de Fleur gave order his litter to be brought near, so he could hear the screms better. The other warlords gathered around him. Few of them spared a second glance over the captives, waiting their turn near the torturers. The feast began.
After some time, spent in eating and small talks, Obrist Heynrich put aside his plate and spoke directly toward the tribal warlord.
“We are all grown men and women here. Tell me, what really can offer us for our support. You don`t need us to conquer Pendor, you already did that. Nobody challenges you and nobody will challenge you for a long time. Why you called us here, really?”
“I didn`t told you that I need your support, honorable Obrist. I told you that I want it. There is a distinctive difference between the two words: “need” and “want”.
The even answer, devoid from any emotion irritated Obrist and he insisted.
“Fine. Then why do you want our support?”

The tribesman issued a slight sigh.
“If you think for a few moments, you will reveal my reason yourself.”
“I heard rumors, that you fought some demons near Javiksholm. Even one, which you fought and killed one of them in duel. Don`t sell us bedtime tales for small children.”
“The rumors are true. The demons are completely real and they are here. And they will not go home.” Rambulhwa drank another mouthful of kumis before to continue. “I know you, all of you, by your deeds and reputation. So I`m giving you what nobody else can give you – the opportunity to become my allies and friends forever.”
The others watched him with disbelieve. The tribesman was crazy for sure.
“No one lives forever, not even the Noldor.” Wolfbode close his fist and smash his golden goblet.
“No human, yes. But you are no longer a human, Bejatir. Your god gave you so many gifts that you won`t grow old and you fear no sickness like us. Just like my wife, Maltise. Still I found a way to extend my life and I`m offering to share it with you.”
Kodan lowers himself forward. It was really a tempting offer, if it was true.

“During the years you`ve build yourself a reputation of a man who never lie. I`m listening.”
“Thank you.” Rambulhwa bites a roasted horse sausage. “It is very simple. If you agree to become my allies forever, I`ll arrange for you to stay alive forever.”
“You sold yourself to the demons, I can see that.” Gerhart spit hit the tribesman`s chest and his hand hold the hilt of his weapon. “You are their slave, just like the Heretics!”
“They are nothing but gatherers for the demons. I managed to sell myself for far higher price than a handful of coins or a few demon warriors for my warband.”
K`Juda look at the smaller man with a mix of suspiciouness and caution.
“I heard that the Heretics capture people for some human sacrifices. Is that the reason why you want all these men alive?”
“It is.”

K`Juda issue such a thunderous laughter that the other warlords remained on their places as if stunned. It took some time before his mirth slowly fades.
“Aren`t you a cunning little snake crawled outside your desert? Oh yes, you are. And I`ll join you, “cousin”, oh yes, I will do that gladly.”
Zulkar manage to ask first.
“What? What are you talking about?”
“You don`t get it, don`t you?” With a broad smile, such strangely looking over his sharp axe-looking face K`Juda explained.
“This little desert snake gathered plenty of captives for some time. We conquered Ravenstern and he took all prisoners of war for himself. I wondered why he took nothing from the spoil. No horses, no jewelry, no items … only the captives. So, as I can see it, he gave all these people to the demons for their rituals, sacrifices or whatever in exchange of immortality.”
K`Juda spoke right to Rambulhwa.
“You led them to believe that you`ve made some big, grand personal sacrifice, giving them all cowardly Ravenstern archers for what you desired most, am I right, “cousin”?”

The D`Shar warlord sighed and bite another morsel.
“I think that I liked you more when you behaved like a bloodthirsty beast, “cousin”.”
Completely confused, Rufio Vincente started to look then one and the other.
“What the fuc. is going on here?”
The huge warrior laughs again.
“He “sacrificed” his mortal enemies to the demons in exchange of the gift of immortality. And now he offers that gift to me too. What is there not to like?”
Toblik however wasn`t so convinced.
“Nothing is free. What is the catch?”
“We may become immortals, but we will still not be invincible. We can be killed and we still need to support each other. If I die – you will die too. That is the catch. Take it or leave, as you prefer.”

When the warbands separated and each rode on their way, Verante Kruus pushes his horse forward. The Scorpion Assassin`s bodyguards rode a bit aside to give her place.
“I think that most of them will join you.”
“We all want war and glory. There will be plenty of both for all of us.”
“Now I know why you convinced my mistress that Boadice is no longer a threat to her.”
“She really isn`t. We will wait until her older sister die from old age and then Boadice will become the new Queen of Veccavia. You law decree that when she dies she is inherited from the next sister. A sister has better claim than a daughter.”
“You cheated me! And my Queen too!”
The tribal warlord turn slightly to look at her.
“Not one of my words was a lie. I cheated no one. I offered some terms and you all agreed with it. That is all.”
Verante`s face turn red as blood.

“Even if you don`t kill my Queen with your own hands, you will deprive Veccavia from her daughters! I must warn her for your trickery!”
“But you will not do it. We both knew it.”
Her fierce gaze met the lifeless sight of his pitch-black eyes.
“How can you be so certain? I love her!”
“And you will continue to love her until she dies from natural causes. Every day you will watch how her lovely face wrinckles, how her familiar beautiful body weakens little by little, grows ugly with fat when she is capable to train no longer. You will remain next to her in her last moments … “ Rambulhwa`s hand touches Verante`s chin. “… and when she dies you will tell her how much you love her. Then you will mourn her for a short time. And then you will find another love. The life will go on as it always does with, or without you. But during each one of these days when you look your lovely face in the mirror you will know that you will not wrinkle because of me, your beautiful body will not grow soft and fat because of me and you will remain the same for many years … because of me. Maybe even forever.”

He releases her chin.
“I think that you really love her. But does she really love … you, or she loves the power your strenght, abilities and the support of your own warriors and allies brought to her?”
Verante slaps him across his face.
“HOW DARE YOU!”
“Boadice isn`t a woman without flaws. Yet when she saw you for the first time she broke tradition and custom because of you. Did her older sisted ever done the same for you, just for a woman? The doubts are healthy. The unquestionable fate brought death to more people than I care to count.”
“So your own warriors can question your orders? Really?”
“They can. I explain my orders to my commanders, they do the same to the subofficers and they to their warriors. Chain of command, you know.”
“And they still have faith in you?!?”
“Fate?” The tribesman laughs. “Of course not. They have certainty. They know for certain what I will do when they kill bravely for me. And they know for certain what I will do if they try to cheat me or desert my warband.”
Verante spoke again, already shaking with fury due to the arrogance of this simple male, unable to behave in front of his superior.

“How can you be so certain that I will not choose her instead of you?”
“I`m not.” Came the even answer.
“What?”
“I`m not certain. How could I be? I just choose to trust you.”
“YOU LIE! YOU … you can`t be that stupid to believe me! You don`t know me!”
“Why should I lie to you? If you told your Queen for my plan, we will wage war and I will prevail. You saw the warbands of my other allies with your own eyes. And your spies already brought you some reporst from survivals amongst those who fought the demons. You know that I can conquer Veccavia with strength for Boadice. If you don`t tell her, she will rule happily to the rest of her days with you at her side. And then Boadice will inherit her without much blood. The only difference between your choices will be the number of the corpses afterwards.”
Verante saw with disbelieve how the stupid male put his hands with the palms up, imitating scales.
“To tell her …” He lowers his left palm a bit and lifts up the other. “… or not to tell her …” He made the opposite movements. “The choice is only yours.”

When Verante Kruuz stormed away Sharae sent her with a weary sight.
“This one is real trouble.”
“Don`t mind her. She will join us.” And because he was an honest man Rambulhwa add. “Most probably.”
“You told her exactly what Sharak told us about her.”
“She was right. This one probably never had any choice in her life, just as she said. In her birth she was given a role and nothing more. When she grew up Boadice saw her by accident and took her in her bed, breaking the tradition … “
“Probably because of a common lust.” Sharaa adds from his right side.
“For HER?!?” Rambulhwa stares at her for a moment. “Well … the foreigners have strange taste for women … could be. I can see five more beautiful women in no more than ten paces from me but Boadice may like her.”
Sharaf smiles under her helmet. Today she and four other of her sisters were around him. It was so rare of him to say a personal compliment of them. But from the other side he never ever compliments Boadice for her appearance too. Not that the woman looks worse, she has decent curves and she used her Doom Mace masterfully, yet he seek her only about conversations about military strategy or government. Just … he never seemed interested about her … personally.

“Sure, seems that way to me too. The other woman, Eleanor, surely uses her like a toy.”
“Why do you think that?” Sharam was really surprised. “Even a Queen may have some personal … taste.”
“Yeah, sure.” Sharad was truly annoyed. “Then why Eleanor didn`t took her before Boadice? She just took her because her sister had her eyes upon her and nothing more.”
Sharaa wasn`t convinced.
“Boadice told me that she is a talented commander and skilled warrior. Maybe Eleanor chooses her because of that.”
“And that was the little brother`s point.” Sharae glide her sabre. He forced the blind hen to consider another reason for Eleanor`s sudden interest toward her.”
Rambulhwa gasped in laughter in his saddle.
“Come on! Please! She – a rare beauty! Would you give more than three horses for her dowry if you were her father?”
Sharaf grinned widely.
“Two horses and two sheep at most!”
Sharam laughs so strong that she barely kept herself in her saddle.

Fall of a civilization (part 2: Prelude)
After weeks of operating, the two armies finally met each other at a large plain next to an arduous plateau. It was an innocent spring morning, the season of life, its vitality was everywhere, right there in the soggy leaves and right there in the bewildered deer horde, north winds bring their special gift: fragrant smells of roses, violet, iris flower, and the sun-the great mother- rose again, nearby pretty streams and the magnificent Qaejete waterfall also contributed to beautify the scenery. King Tafketg lifted his head and prayed:
“My dear Egtaeqe the Sun Goddess, this is such a magnum opus by your hands, but please forgive me-your guilty creature- because I’m going to be forced to destroy this masterpiece, our enemies are right in front of us, I’m afraid I can’t keep its beauties as now, this place will soon become a bloodshed, you willed us to cope with them, my family, my empire, my wealth, every single thing about me is at your will, your majesty. I conjure you to stand by our side, help us in this war so we can fulfill our responsibility for this land. Tafketg the I of Likqviq, king of Ufnetea.”.

After a long and exhausted march, they camped in a valley surrounded by bushy oak forests in three sides so they can avoid ambushes, then they canalized a small path through the forest behind them for supplies transporting, they completed their basecamp and defensive system by the dusk of that day. King Tafketg gathered his men and assigned nightshift patrol. Opposite to its daytime, nighttime in this delta is a terrible nightmare, it’s time for night hunting beasts to act, the howl of wolves, hopeless cries of their target, sounds of winds hurtling through thick old trees like many implicating cries of those whom have fallen before, that deary plight may threat even the bravest man. Somewhere in the camps, echoing the cries of some young soldiers, this is definitely their first time away from home, they remember of hot slices of bread, goat milk and above all, the warmth of their family. But a high awareness of patriotism and sacrifice lulled them to sleep.

The sun brought her light to the lovely plain again, tiredness expresses clearly on the face of everyone, no exception. King Tafketg ordered his men to do their unique light martial arts to warm up. Scouts reported that the Demons and the Heretics were still passive. By the late morning, the vassals gathered to discuss future strategies.
“Do you have any idea about our moves?”-said the king.
“It so strange that they didn’t attack last night when our forces are still tired.”.
“That being said they’re preparing a secret weapon for this fight and maybe it’s not ready yet.”.
“So why don’t we operate a total assault right this afternoon, we will crush them as easy as eating a pie cake like we’ve done many times before! Hahahahahah.”-Archduke Enepe declared confidently.
“Don’t be cursory, general, attack now is suicide, they’ve put all of their strength this time!”-a young count circumspectly responded.
“What are you waiting for, kid, wait for them to surrender? hah!”-he provoked.
“Sir, I’m afraid your urgency will ruin this campaign.”-Count Endutx alleged.
“How dare you talk to me like that! Coward, go back to your home so your mother can breastfeed you!!!!”-he glared at the young count.
“Sir, I’m trying to be polite and respectful, so please calm down or else I…….”. Count Endutx didn’t finish his speech when Archduke Enepe interrupted him:
“What are you gonna do to me, bastard, I can grab your head and crack it like killing a chicken!”. Archduke Enepe was about to punch.
“Sir, if you………..”.
“ENOUGH! SHUT YOUR MOUTH UP!!!!”-king Tafketg roared out loud, and he started to ease his anger.
“We can not fight with our enemies while fighting each other, I can’t think of a rational enough strategy whilst solving your conflicts. Yeah, I have to think about a strategy, FOR WHAT? To protect your family, your home AND EVEN YOURSELF!!!!!!! This is my first and last warning: STOP IMPUGNING EACH OTHER AND THINK FOR OUR PEOPLE!!!!! A DEATH PENALTY IS WAITING FOR THOSE WHO DARE TO LOOK DOWN MY RULE!” the king cried out loud, his face was red as a tomato, veins in his eyes raised, he looked really scary everytime he feels his people’s benefits are badly affected as he’s a rightful king, who is willing to die for his men, but this is his worst anger. Archduke Enepe slowly got back to his seat, fears were express clearly on his face.
King Tafketg began to tell his plan:
“As my experiences, this might be a bait, they’re luring us into their trap. As you can see, their forces stationed in a low mountainside, our cavalry will be massacred by waves of crossbow bolts before they climb up the hill, their crossbowmen totally outrange our archers. Furthermore, as I mentioned before, this battle is the biggest battle you ever take part in, I can’t be rash. Steward Niu! Tell me where did you get the rumor that the undead is preparing a secret weapon?”.
“Your majesty, our patrol captured a scout and tortured him and he told us about a special weapon.”.
“Did he tell you what is it?”.
“We’ve tried our best to force him to tell but he did a madding smile and then his eyes…….-he suddenly stopped-hi… his eyes were protrusive, he committed a wondrous mixture and died.”.
“Oh my…. So it’s obvious that they have a secret weapon but still, we don’t know what is it. I believe those cunning demons have set up a fair defend system and maybe a trap. This is my command: reinforce our own defense system, keep training and practicing, nobody is allowed to attack, protect our supply route, anyone who dares to break the rule will be executed! Got it?”.
“Got it, my lord!” they responded altogether.
By dusk, most of the troops fully regained their energy. That night was a full-moon night, the moon provided some flickering light, but it’s not enough to repel the dark of the night. From afar, a group of wagons approaching through the canalized path, they offered to meet the king. After presented necessary exhibits, he was allowed to meet king Tafketg. As he appeared to the king’s tent, king Tafketg embraced him and cheered:
“Oh, my dear brother Lepiv, what are you doing here! Is everything ok at home? Oh my Lord, I miss you so much!”.
“Take a seat, little brother, I came to bring a good news.”.
King Tafketg looked his brother buoyantly, intermingle with excitement, then he asked:
“Wha…what is it, tell me now, brother, tell me now please!”
“Guess, I have completed father’s legacy.”.
“Is i……… is it what I’m thinking of?!”
“You got it!”
And the king rushed to the nearest wagon, unwrapped it, and he was totally blinded by the vivid light of shiny chest pieces, axes, swords and spears, shields, lances, he was so surprised, then his brother-Lepiv the Wizard-reached him and said:
“Just after you left, the chief blacksmith came to me and told me that we did it, as you can see, these Rune Plates are a perfect fusion of metallurgy, blacksmithing, and magic. I, myself, enchanted them with holy letters, they bound to their owner’s soul, they will be automatically broken as their wearer die.”.
King Tafketg hugged his brother again, and feel like crying, he tenderly told Lepiv:
“Our father would be super proud of you now, this is amazing, thank you, thank you so much!”
“I assembled every blacksmith in the city, we worked all day, all night to deliver these to you as soon as possible.” Then he sighed and continued:
“Brother, I will never forget the day our father returned, the same enemy…..”. Suddenly, a tear flowed from his eyes, he managed to hide the tear and keep on:
“ He was mortally wounded, exhausted, his eyes have obsessed me till now, that was eyes of a warrior, full of courage, but I can see deep into that eyes a fear, a pure fear of a normal person, a fear of a father who doesn’t want to leave his beloved children, a fear of a king who doesn’t want to leave his kingdom, his people, and regrets of an incomplete career. The Rune weaponry and armory was his life career.”
King Tafketg pacified Lepiv:
“But now we’ve done it, it’s so unfortunate that father can’t be here with us, but I know that somewhere in that star sky, father is smiling to us.”
“Yeah, yeah, he is!”. After that, he commanded his men to unload the equipment.
“It’s 10000 swords, 5000 spears, 5000 axes, 3000 lances, 14000 bows, 3000 lances and 40000 chest pieces. Helmets, gauntlets and boots will come tomorrow night, Sir!”.
“Thank you, young man.”. King Tafketg asked:
“You will stay with me tonight, won’t you?”
“I’m afraid not, brother, I have some more important things to do back home”
“Oh! Ok, but what is it?”
“You will know then, now it still a secret.” As he smiled mystically.
“So…. good speed, may Gods and Goddesses be with you.”
“And with you too.”
They hugged and kissed each other once again, then Lepiv and his convoy slowly faded in the treelines. King Tafketg returned to his tent, but he didn’t sleep that night, he spent his time to remember of the old days, the days when his father was still with him, he slightly smiled, and, cried silently, he suddenly realized time is the fastest and the cruelest thing, he realized his hair is white now, he has passed a half of a human’s life, he doesn’t remember when was the last time he cried, but he feels so comfort this time, because he must have been strong for so long, it is said that deep inside us, there is our true self, a kid who never grow up, who wants to coddle our parents, who want to play fairly on unlimited meadows, but it’s life, we all have to say goodbye to our childhood, that why time is so relentless. He backed to present by sunrise, wiped his tears, quickly grabbed his armor and assembled his troops.
“Today, I honorably bring you an awesome news: last night, my brother came here and brought some wonderful gears as you can see here.”. He ordered to open the weaponry and armory, the crowd began to discuss noisily, king Tafketg continued:
“It’s obvious that you are wondering what are those things, right? No need to hide here. I’d like to thank to our alchemist, blacksmiths and wizards for making such amazing equipment, those Rune Plates, Rune Swords, Rune Axes, Rune Bows, and Rune Glaives were forged from finest metals, grinded by best blacksmiths and enchanted by best wizards. Above all, it’s my father’s legacy. Don’t be hurry, it’s enough to everyone, the rest will be delivered tonight, feel free to take what you want but remember, you can only choose once, your gears will follow you forever, they’ve been cursed by a deadly scourge as they will be broken if you die.”.
The soldiers altogether released a fearsome war cry and excitedly queued up to select their new equipment. This is a big boost to the morale, the entire army spent that day to accustomed with new weapons a and armors, joyful atmosphere covered the training ground, someone even named their new “body parts”. That night was creepy as previous nights, a large number of soldiers stayed up pretty late just to look at their exquisite new armor. By late night, a herd of wagon came to the base to deliver the rest of the Rune set.

It appeared that scouts reported they saw strange things around demon’s camp, flora a fauna around it died uncommonly, they seem to have been drained, their body was black as ebony and dry as sand, some scouts also have that problem after they got close to the corpses for further investigation, the symptoms were a terrible tiredness, and died pretty quick, dark and dry, even the best medic they have couldn’t do anything, he has never encountered anything like this. King Tafketg immediately wrote a letter to Lepiv and gave it to his trusted scout, after two days, he received the reply letter, the content of the letter was:
“Dear brother, it sad to tell you that you’re fighting an overpowered enemy, they are using a forbidden dark magic name “Holræsi”, it drains from every life form to hoard its caster’s power, the caster can transfer that power to whom he wants, the receiver will be immobilized during the process, the caster will die if the magic over drains but if he stops when it’s just enough, the power will be unstoppable.”
This information seriously terrified king Tafketg, he expressly summoned his vassals, generals to propose a proper solution for this critical circumstance, they all accepted with the idea launching a surprise right that night to stop the evil magic from completing. But, it’s no need for them to wait, a huge band of elite undead cavalrymen assaulted their camp just before they depart, the strife was harsh but thanks to the new Rune equipment, king Tafketg assisted the attack and the undead retreated by dawn because their power is weakened by sunlight, but the undead successfully stopped king Tafketg from interrupting their draining process. The Sun rose as always, innocent as she is. Many soldiers were injured, others were exhausted so they couldn’t operate an attack, the front line camp was partly destroyed, troops blank went back to their camps, a footman asked another:
“Wha….what was that?!”
His comrade answered fearfully:
“It……………began!!!!!!!”.

(Part 3: As it must be)

The town of the thiefs

“Come in!”
The door opens and four armed people came inside the private chamber of lord Servio Orsenat. He continues writing a letter behind his lacquered desk while they bowed deeply.
“Yes, yes, what is it?”
“Milord … “ Karven Neghter spoke first. “… my men at the east gate reporting of large force of Jatu entering in the town!”
“At the north gate too!” Valras Horbed spoke with concern. “An entire army is coming!”
Jalvat Salas put his hand near his Knight Axe.
“Large Singalian force is coming from the west gate!”
The three of them look at the fourth assistant of their master. The Singalian Temptress waited patiently. After some time her master spoke.

“Do you have something to report, Nahtari?”
“Firuz the Brazen is leading his army into the town from the south gate.”
The first three men hold their weapons.
“They are plotting against us! We must lead our master into safe place!”
Servio Orsenat wet his goose feather and continue to write over the parchment.
“The town will be full with warriors shortly. Whoever tries to leave will be arrested or killed. I suspect that the town garrison is already disarmed. Soon the town will be searched house by house and plenty of illegal activities will be revealed.”
“You knew about it, master?”
“Of course that I know about it, Jalvat. The Red Brotherhood become too bothersome recently, so the new Khan will decorate the town walls with their heads.” The feather continues to scratch over the parchment without delay. “Quite delayed effort, if you ask me. These scumbags has no style at all and too ofthen brings more harm than profit. Why any sane privateer will work without profit is something beyond me.”

“So our activities are in no danger?”
“Not even a little bit.” Servio use his signed ring to close the letter and a little wax to stamp it. “I thank you for your report. Since you are here anyway, sent this letter to lady Blackwolf. She and I need to speak.”
Karven Neghter started to cough so heavy, that his Ravenstern two-hander barely remain on his back.
“Lady!”, hmh! Master, you are too kind to this upstart brigand!”
“As a Knight you already knew how important the good manners are, Ser Karven. And it cost me nothing while the deals with her Ladyship brought me piles of gold. Now go and bring me profit, I don`t need another set of statues!”

Servio Orsenat bows and invites his quest inside his private cabinet. He offered her a high-backed engraved chair, looking more appropriate for king`s chamber and personally poured her fine wine in a tall silver goblet. His guest, wearing fine silk gown and plenty of expensive jewelries, sat heavily on the exquisite chair and stretched her legs forward. Servio was forced to cover his laugher wih heavy cough, when he saw the high and sturdy cavalry boots under the rich gown, perfectly appropriate for royal audience.
“You are most welcome, Your Ladyship! My humble home is honored from your exalted presence.”
The woman drank the goblet on a single sip and burst out loud with a manner unsuitable with her noble appearance.
“You are murderer, cheater, slaver, leech and a few other things beside that, but you have such fine manners that I can almost forget everything else.” The woman who Servio called “Your Ladyship” touches his right chin with gentle gesture. “You can always make me feel better.”
Servio bows to her with so well learned grace that could pass for inherent.

“It is Your Ladyship that makes me to do it. The true love is capable to push stronger men than me further.”
The woman nods in agreement.
“I`m wealtier than I look but does my gold really arouse you THAT much?”
The Ravenstern nobleman bows again and kiss the woman`s palm with elegant gesture.
“Lady Blackwolf, since our first meeting ALL of your investments proof itself as extremely valuable ones. I feel nothing but pure love toward Your Ladyship and I`m more than willing to prove it to you in any way you desire!”
She raises an elbow.
“And if I tie you on a block and flog you with my whip, will you be so willing to serve my every … desire?”
Servio knelt, took her palm into his two and kiss it with obvious passion.
“Each one of my screams will be only for you, my most esteemed Lady!”
“And you no doubt burst in even greater passionate desire to hear everything about the next promising opportunity to invest part of your gold so you could take it back with triple interest, am I not right my noble friend?”

“Your Ladyship is the only one capable to evaluate the revelation of my inner self! Since I took your first “advice” up to the present moment I control nearly a third from the whole town of Singal! No one in this town dare to lend a copper coin without my permission and share of the profit.”
Lady Blackwolf tap the man with two fingers, covered in silk glove.
“Did you retreat from the drug deals, my lord?”
“Well, I did it. In a manner of speaking. Now I`m using only stooges. My name is no longer connected with that sort of deals. May I humbly ask Your Ladyship …”
“Tonight all the drug dealers will be arrested at the same time.”
Servio sat on the polished wooden chair against her.
“The new Caliph is son of his father. He knows that no one is capable to uproot the criminality. He took his share like his father before him, and the ones before him. Even the Bahadur Khans were unable to do such a thing with all his might. Not to mention that Suharda, Mantagai, Baserio and Keleonidas have their private armed bands. They own all the muscles in the town, save my foreign guards. If somebody even thinks to interfere with their work, there will be a quick bloodbath and the things will continue as usually. Such things happened before.”

“Yes, you are probably right about that.”
“I`m sure of that, Your Ladyship.”
Loud noises suddenly came from outside. Servio Orsenat jump on his feet and reaches for his sword.
The expensive door burst into pieces under heavy blow from Dire Axe and spreads splinters and drops of blood over the expensive Ravenstern carpet. In the frame appears the tremendous body of an armored warrior. He lowers himself and twists his body aside to move inside the cabinet. Servio draws his sword and strike toward the intruder. The thin blades bounce off the thick armor of the intruder, who doesn`t even bother himself to parry. In the next moment the huge man hold his armed first into his own. Bones crushes instantly and Servio howls in agony. His attacker grabbed his neck in one large palm and dragged him outside. On their way out Servio notice the broken and dismembered remains of his chosen bodyguards.
“What are you thinking doing you stupid brute? Do you have the slightest idea who I am?”
“You are a criminal who will be brough to justice immediately.”

Servio took a deep breath. No matter of the possible charges the town judges were bribed a long time ago. He was able to ransom himself out of every possible accusation and then his attacker would have found himself in the pigsty to feed the pigs, naturally. He let the brute to drag him out. When the outer gate opens however, the sight made him to tremble from inside. The street was full with warriors who searched everyone on sight and arrested everybody with something illegal found in him or her. While Sergio watched, one Red Brotherhood member tried to reach for his weapon. Another warrior in lamellar armor swing with the hilt of his glaive and hit the man`s temple who instantly fell stunned on the dirty stones. Despite his pain Servio made considerable efforts not to smile. Singalians. The most common and cheap muscles around. He was able to purchase a whole warband of them if need be. And as many, many times before, no matter of the possible charges he would have been declared for innocent before the nightfall.

But when they reach the Khan`s palace Servio felt the first shiver of uncertainty. The Khan`s head was impaled on a spear in the inner courtyard amidst a pool of still fresh blood. Next to it he saw Suharda, Baserio and Keleonidas tied and knelt in front of small group of such men and women that even the hardened warriors of Singalian and Jatu tried to stay aside from them. One of them, wearing full helmet whisper under his … or her? face spoke with deaf voice.
“Commander Riva, the warlord left us on your orders. He requires full interrogation of the important captives.”
“Of course.” Riva tried to jump from her horse and torn apart her expensive gown. The savage curses that followed made some Singalians to blush.

Mantagai turn aside in his sleep and woke up immediately when he felt a slight touch over his face and his right hand reach for his sabre by sheer instinct when he realizes that it was just a lock of hair. He smiles. His current favoure slept next to him, probably still exhausted from his night passion. He gently glided her long black hair. Although he was unwilling to admit it, he was deep in love with her.
“My dear, I wish to speak with you.” He started quietly. “I thought about us recently …” He stopped to clear the slime from the place where his nose once was and continue. “… and I think that I`m ready to … marry you.”
No answer follows and he felt a spark of irritation. Although a Khan`s daughter her father was so deep in debts that in practice he could sell her for slave girl on the market. Along her entire family, if the mood strikes him. Still he holds himself for the moment and kisses her cheek.
In the moment when his lips touched her flesh he notice the unusual coldness but he didn`t took if for something important. But in the next moment her head turn aside and roll down from the pillow, revealing large spot of drying blood.

With a wild roar of primal fury he jumps out of the bed and hold his sabre. In the dim interior of his bedroom he notices a few figures and strikes toward the nearest one. His blade his someone`s shield and then the figure pushes him back. With another roar he throws himself forward. The shield met his blade but the shadowed figure counter attack with skillful blow that left a bleeding wound over his bare foot. But in his fury he just took the pain and continues to land a blow after blow at him with all his fury.
For some time Mantagai continue his attacks toward the intruders. Despite his fury, strength and his considerable skills with the sabre he was unable to reach any one of them. Yet none of them strike at him but the blood loss made him slow and clumsy. His breathing become shallow and heavy and his strikes were no longer so swift. They didn`t wanted him dead.
“Who are you? What do you want from me?”
One of them responds.
“My name is Sharaa. I bring you an invitation to visit the Khan`s palace for an important meeting.”

“You killed her! I`ll have your skin for that!”
Fast as a desert scorpion the woman slice his wrist with her strange sabre and he cursed and drop his own blade.
“If you are so kind to follow me, I`ll lead you there.”
“You killed her! My beloved! Why did you do such a crime?”
Laughter came from all figures around him. Another one spoke with distinctive female voice.
“I didn`t expect from you to be so funny. But since you asked politely I`ll tell you. I wanted to see your face when her head rolls aside of your touch.”
With desperate howl Mantagai tried to hit her and …

Collecting debts

Not far away from there a tall cloaked figure put the key into the lock of her house and came inside. The night finally was over and after her last client she felt dirty and used as usually. She removes the heavy cloak and hooks it carefully behind the door. The small house had only two rooms and she used the living room to prepare some breakfast from yesterday bread and dried meat. No sounds came from the bedroom and she felt deep gratitude toward Machtak, her neghtbor`s daughter, who cares for her own daughter while she worked in Dromun`s brothel. She was eager to touch Baikutun, to glide her tiny little fingers and to hear the vague baby sounds when she swung her in her cradle. She pulled aside the heavy curtain to enter the bedroom and froze.
At the slight light of a single candle she saw Machtak`s huge frightened eyes and her hand reaches for the hidden knife tied on the inner side of her left thigh. Machtak`s eyes moved to her left and the woman turned too. In the shadowed corner next to her small bed she saw large figure holding her baby.
“Please, don`t hurt her!” She starts to beg desperately. “I will do whatever you wish, just don`t hurt her!”
“And why would I want to hurt our own daughter, Umulg?”

The voice was vaguely familiar but in her terror the woman didn`t recognize it.
“You are mistaken! My name is Hishah! You are in the wrong house, Ser! Please, leave us be, and we`ll says nothing about …”
“Lier. You do know who I am. There is no point denying it.”
“Leave my baby, please! She`s done nothing to no one!”
The shadowed figure issued a light sigh.
“It took me some time to trace which ones of the girls I`ve been with gave birth. The brothel owner was surprised that I asked her, but she has no reason to hide such information from me. She told me everything she knew about you. She didn`t knew only why you left your tribe. Plese, do tell me that.”
“I was raped and my father banishes me! I had no one to help me, no property … Nothing! What else could I do?”
“Lier.” The male didn`t moved at all. “Ehcheg banishes you for you had an affair with married man. You broke the law and the custom and he had no other choice.”

“I was fifteen years old and I was in love! There was nothing I could do!”
“Lier.” The male spoke with calm voice. “You knew the law but you choose to break it. All D`Shar are taught about it early enough.”
“I was IN LOVE!”
The baby woke up from the high voice and start crying. The male starts to swing her carefully until she calmed down.
“Perhaps you were. Still it isn`t an excuse to break the law.”
The woman fell on her knee.
“Even so, I have no other.”
“So it seems.” The male continue to swing the baby. “All whores knew well how to evade an unwanted pregnancy. You however decided to keep the child. Why?”
“I`m banished from my tribe, I have no one here. Nobody cares if I live or die. I wanted … something of my own.”
“You are a beautiful woman, you have plenty of customers. Why did you choose me?”

She looked down toward the floor, totally crushed.
“It just happened. It …”
“Lier. You are a whore, not a fool. The brothel`s owner keep list with your clients, you know. I checked it too. I was the only Khan amongst them. Why did you needed a Khan`s child, Umulg?”
She look at him, broken and crushed, her tears flooding his face.
“It just happened, please, just …”
The man rises from the low wooden stool and went toward her. In the light of the only candle she saw his wide flat face, calm and expressionless, and met the sight of his narrow black eyes.
“Khan or beggar when the male is naked in your bedroll it is all the same for you since he pays your toll in advance. I really like you and for that I`ll ask you one more time why did you choose me. One more lie will cost you your life.”
Umulg`s face hardened like a stone. She jumps on her legs and looks at the male from above, since she was taller than him.
“You want to know? You really want to know?” Her hissing could honor any Snake Cult Priestess.

“I wanted a son from Turkmani Khan for your tribe and mine were in blood feud for eight generations! I wanted my son to kill my father for he banished me, his own daughter! I wanted my son to kill Urtugar too, for he refused to take me as his wife and left me alone in disgrace! This is what I WANTED!”
She already shouted and the baby began to cry but she no longer cares.
“All my life I had bad luck that follows me everywhere. And I had only a daughter! My fate is so cruel that you can`t even imagine and here your are, a whole year after your last visit and you are looking for what? What in Vata`s own mane do you want from me?”
“There is no fate.” The tribesman`s voice was calm and even. “There is only us. There is no luck. Some people want to throws the blame for their lack of success elsewhere. As for me … I want our daughter.”
“How could you possibly know that she is ours? It could be anyone of my clients?”
“Vejovis told me that I had two children. I just checked the brothel`s records. Only you and Bensegut gave birth after my visit. It was as simple as that.”

Her eyes widened and she made an involuntary step back.
“You`ve met Vejovis? A God?”
“Me and half an army, but yes. Now I`ll take her with me. What is her name?”
“Baikutun.”
She looks at him with sudden suspiciouness.
“You will take care of her all of a sudden? Just like that.”
“Just like that.” Came the calm and confidant answer.
“And what about me? Will you visit me again?”
“I will send you three horses for her. And I will visit you again.”
The strike was heavy, yet she knew only too well that there was nothing she could possibly do. She spoke with low tone.
“Why?”
“Vejovis and I made a deal. I … failed and now I must pay the price. When you return to your family I will visit you again. Your father will accept you back and he will ensure that you will find a good husband.”
It wasn`t a hard thing for her to collects two and two together.

“Of course. You are leading more warriors than our whole tribe. And he will be so frightened from you that he will not dare to refuse your “proposal”. And when I choose some male of the tribe for my husband he also will not dare to … refuse a former whore.”
He suddenly smiles and his face changes so much from sincere warmith as if they were in her bedroll.
“Whoever you choose to have children from him will be one happy male. Every time I left your yurt in the brothel I rode to my place in the caravanserai.”
“My room.” She corrected him sofly. “And what of it?”
“I rode because my knee trembled so much that I couldn`t walk all the way on foot.”
He moves past her but when he reaches the door he stopped and spoke with his casual voice.
“Collect your things and sent a word in the brothel too. All D`Shar must leave the town in three days under fear of death. We are nomads and we will remain nomads. Such is Vata`s will and all D`Shar will bow to Him.”
He left silently. Soon after that, when it become clear that he wasn`t hiding behind the door, Machtak came to her.
“Will he came back?”

“No, not here. I must send a message to the brothel. Run and tell some of your brothers to come for it. Then tell your mother to start packing.”
“If you say so. Will you need me to take care for Baikutun later?”
Umulg`s face twised is such anger that Machtak step back until the bed stopped her.
“Are you coming from the forest? Do you know ANYTHING for D`Shar?”
“To know what?” Machtak spoke with trembling voice. “What is a “forest”? I`ve been born here and I`ve never went outside the town gates.”
Umulg knelt to Machtak and took her hands into her own.
“I`m sorry, my dear Machtak, please forgive me. I forgot that. But you must learn some things about your own nation. Three horses is the average price for the Scorpion Assassin`s Guild to kill someone. The man was Baikutun`s father, Rambulhwa. He will kill her.”

Kulniren opens the door. An armored warror armed with rusty-red glaive stood outside.
“What do you want so early?”
“I must speak with Bensegut.”
“She doesn`t works for years. Get lost.”
The tribesman didn`t even blinks.
“That I know. I said that I must speak with her. Please, let me enter or call her here.”
The house owner`s voice become louder in anger.
“She doesn`t want to speak with you!”
“She is your wife, not your slave. Call her.”
The slim Sarleon male move to block the entrance and put a hand over his axe.
“Get lost!”

The tribesman hit him in the stomach with his metal gauntlet. When Kulniren collapsed on two and tried to take a breath he looks at him with the same maddening calm expression.
“You are Kulniren, a former caravan guard from Marleon, now in service of Harenten, a gambler whom you owe a considerable sum from your last gambling attempt.”
Kulniren`s face darkened in anger but he removes his hand from his weapon and steps outside.
“I`ll wait here.”
The tribesman nods to him and enters inside. This house was bigger from Umulg`s and with better furniture. Dressed in velvet, Bensegut came from her bedroom and bow to her guest.
“Greetings, noble one. Please allow me to …” She stops and sigh. “… Rambulhwa! …”
“Greetings, Bensegut. How did you recognise me in my new armor?”
“Nobody else came in my room with his polearm. All clients left their weapons to the guards. What do you want?”
“Duulu.”
“So you know. Since when?”

“I learned for him just recently. From Vejovis himself. Why did you hide him from me?”
She laugh and sat on the nearest chair and pour herself a cup with wine.
“When Gudmar beated me it was you who sent your men to return him the gesture.” She drank a sip. “So I asked about you and learned who you are. A Khan, and rich one too. So I become pregnant. Kulniren is just another client of mine, a caravan guard. I told him that you will make us rich to take care of your child and he married me. It was all about money, nothing more.”
“I understand.” The tribesman looks around and made a wide gesture toward the expensive furniture. “It was all about money. But a common caravan guard doesn`t receive enough to purchase such a large house, nor such furniture, nor such clothes, nor to gamble. Do I need to ask for the source of your wealth?”
“No. You`ve always been a quite client but you are watching around yourself well enough. And nothing brings that amount of money except the drug, so yeah.”
“You are taking drug too. But not for a long time. Probably after the last birth.”

It wasn`t a question but a statement. Still Bensegut nods.
“I was so bored, staying at home alone all the time when he was away. I wanted just to try…”
“… and then you wanted just a bit more, then a bit more and so on and so forth. I`ve heard it too often.”
She called the oldest boy, a kid of the age of six.
“Duulu, come here, son. I want you to meet the famous warrior Rambulhwa from Turkmani tribe. He is your father. He will bring us a lot of money. Say “greetings” to him, son.”
The boy rises his head and spoke.
“Greetings.”
“Let`s start with 10 000 denari. I know, it isn`t much, but a growing boy need so much things …”
“… and his mother too.”
“And his mother too. Exactly. We, the D`Shar, take care for our children. There is nothing more valuable for a tribesman than his children. And you are one very wealthy tribesman.”
She swallows another cup and smiles.

“I foresee long and rich relations between us!”
“I will give you three horses for our son.”
Bensegut busted in laughter and reaches for her cup. With her other hand she took a knife from her belt and put the blade at the boy`s throath.
“He IS your son, your flesh and blood. You found us, which means that you care enough for him.”
Rambulhwa sigh and spoke with casual tone, looking right into her widened eyes.
“I will try to help you to clean yourself from the drug. And then you will return to your tribe.”
“Why should you? I`m fine, no, I`m more than fine!” Bensegut press the knife until it took a drop of blood. “I have not the slightest intention to live in yurt again! It stinks! It`s a lot of hard work from sunrise to sunset, pain in the arse from the saddle, lack of proper baths and clothes too! No, no, no, no! You go into the steps and I will live here, thank you so very much for the offer!”

He tried once more.
“Vata spoke trough his shamans. D`Shar must return to their nomadic lifestyle. It is the source of our strength. The hard work and the hard life make us the people we are – hardened warriors from our steps and our desert.”
“Oh, fuc. you and your speeches. Just give me money and begone! I must receive something for my troubles! Seven years! You owe me a lot!”
The tribesman nods in agreement.
“Yes, I do admit my debt.”
“See? It wasn`t that bad! You`ve become so rich that you will not even notice several tens of thousands denari! It`s just nothing for a man like you!”
“Just items. Round pieces of metal and nothing more.”
“Exactly! I will make you a favour taking such useless metal from you!”

She reaches for the wine pitcher. With swift movement the long blade hit her between the wrist and the elbow. She scremed and reaches for the child with her left hand. Rambulhwa grabs her by the wounded hand, pulls her with strength over the table and drags her toward the chimney. When he put her severed hand into the flames she issues inhuman screams and began to twist wildly into his arms. But alas, he hold her in place until the wound was properly burned and then calls with high voice.
“Narvein!”
When the male enters Bensegut saw his face and the breath stop in her throat. Under the open helmet the face was just a scar over scar. There was not a single healthy place except the eyes. Bright green eyes in deep holes into the tortured unrecognizeable flesh. Nobody was able to determine where this man was from and he never spoke a word about his past. Everything known for him was that he was purchased from iron mine north-west of Avendor. He bows slightly.
“Noyon?”*

“Narvein, I will ask for your help. Take this woman, her husband and their children. I want to know everthing they know about the drug deals. Be careful and not let them to die. Then take Suleven, Turmon and Freja along with three hundreds warriors and bring the drug dealers into the palace square. ”
The warrior bows again but when he took the nearest child Rambulhwa spoke again.
“I will take Duulu with me, the others are yours. But later don`t be greedy and let our comrades from my personal squad to have their share. Everybody fight, everybody works. When you finish with them sent them under guard into the Snake Cult temple and tells my second wife that I want to see her. And keep Anaya under eye. Lately most of her interrogations finish with corpses.”
“She is still new in the torture area. Kaverra is training her.” The warrior hesitates. “You have an idea?”
“Kaverra is … very busy lately. And she is pregnant. It is bad for her health to work so much. Perhaps I could teach Anaya a few things. Until Kaverra recovers, of course, I don`t want to say anything bad for her skills!”
Rambulhwa thought over it for some time.

“You didn`t said anything bad for her skills. But your concern is very much appreciated. I`m grateful for your help.”
When he left Rambulhwa hold Duulu`s hand.
“Let`s go now, my son. There is much to be done before we could leave this town.”
The boy tried to pull his hand in vain.
“You hurt my mother!”
“Yes, I hurt her. She reminded me that when someone is trying to extort you the best course of action is to kill him.”
The boy rises his narrow black eyes toward the man in strange looking armor.
“I don`t understand. You said that you are my father. Will you hurt me as you hurt mother?”
“No, my son. I won`t hurt you. I`ll just kill you.”

*Noyon – commander of tumen (ten thousand horsemen)

Back
Top Bottom