Dev log - what's cooking today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I suggest to change the names of "Drow Priestess" to "Drow Acolyte" and "Drow Priestess2" to "Drow Priestess"? Seems more logical to me :smile:

Otherwise, this looks amazing.

2 weeks left until "Open House".
Top priority for "Patch Test G" is simple bug fixes.

Solved double companions spawn in tavern.
              double mercenary spawn in tavern.
              added townsperson at village elder.    Same root cause.

editing scene for Cretas town center && AI mesh 
      done.  drop this into folder "SceneBbj" under Phosphor v21 r5:
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgEWFFmR3IxTzdDdlU/view?usp=sharing

walls (seige) scene does not need edit

game_menus.py
      cheat: take a ship from port  needs to check for town has seacoast flag set else not show in menu  DONE
      removed both pre-made character choices, now only normal character creation
      fixed a mistake where black cuirboilli recipe is shown to leatherworker skill level 13 but the internal recipe was marked for level 14, now it is 13
        this was blocking making cuirboilli with a character that had exactly skill 13 and otherwise all the ingredients.

--- to do ---
  Town menus:
    general re-arrange town menu

Yard1 said:
Can I suggest to change the names of "Drow Priestess" to "Drow Acolyte" and "Drow Priestess2" to "Drow Priestess"? Seems more logical to me :smile:

Otherwise, this looks amazing.

Actually I'll change the name of Drow anything away from the term Drow to avoid being blocked for having a board later.
  Looking at requirements for having a board and looks like using "Drow" could get me into trouble; I can call them Jann or Jinn and it makes me just as happy, explains their use of magic, hard to see, and filled with an essence of Fire

Oldtimer said:
Mr. Sanders,

this looks superb. I really appreciate your work.

Rgds, Oldtimer

If you look 2 posts up from your post I'm quoting you'll find the patch E plus the base needed to run it, although YOU already had the base.
  There's a bunch of smaller issues I want to clean up for next patch; they really annoy me and some I fixed today.  Another 2 days should have most the list cleaned up and then I can put something exotic in, like area effect heals or something.

I haven't been PMing the updates anymore, but they're coming closer together now.  I expect to be ready for Thanksgiving "open house". 
After that I may begin making my own troop trees, items, races, etc for a Christmas, not-Perisno_anywhere version, as code I write today won't get approved by Michadr anytime this year.  The artists wont work for me, right now I'm looking at about 6 weeks of my time to replace Perisno entirely, and thats assuming 2 weeks are spent on a map.  I'm willing to buy a map and hire a new crew; I can pay cash for my free super hobby.  I don't like feet draggers during my last days.  I plan to kick some arse and not fall asleep without giving this my 101%.  Apparently the "successful" mods are too sleepy to do dev work anymore.  I think this has good code developing; I can take 100% of my code and just re-do the art, troops, factions, and music.  I've already put in factions, I've added items, I've made unique troop trees and unique troops, with no look or feel from Perisno (in the Jann/Drow), so I have some idea what to do and how it can look.  I can certainly promise my Christmas/New Year flavor will be distinguishable from Perisno 0.8, even if they all drop out of high school to code full time.
I hope you find something worth your time when its done  :smile:

- GS

KonykSoldatyk said:
gsanders said:
I can take 100% of my code and just re-do the art, troops, factions, and music. 
Music for the warrioress  :smile:

Hah! At least it would be unique.

I'd like to be able to lift some Celtic music from De Danaan or early Kim Robertson but I'd have to pay, and my music budget can't exceed perhaps $400 USD.
More important is to buy a map, ideally for $200 or less, although considering the hours perhaps $300 is more fair.  Map is difficult to bid on because it could be pure garbage or near genius.  The Perisno map is excellent, with much variety for terrain and many possibilities.  A map like that would be worth $350.

I am not opposed to Russian / Ukrainian theme; for that matter also one faction should be Chinese or from India in the future (either is acceptable).
I might look for music from different places that is not famous so as to be acceptable in a free/not for profit mod.  I should ask around the choirs in Bulgaria since my wife is active in these.  At one time I digitized some of her choir's music for last Christmas in Perisno but did not finish adding it to books and holy objects in game, as I had planned.  Next Easter, perhaps ...

- GS

Tuesday 17 Nov  patch Test F:
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgERG9UNDFGQzVRWms/view?usp=sharing

I suppose I can release a smaller patch as a "hot fix" soon (TM).  Look up...     
edited Tavern for city 29 (Silk Throat)  some patrons spawned behind the walls.
          its at    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgEQVEwb1VhUmEtSGs/view?usp=sharing

there is SOMETHING spawning randomly that kills my test game, but its not specifically tied to a scene, but rather something spawning, as it moves around.  I'm still trying to establish a pattern.  I suppose i could debug dump by having the mission_template that spawns patrons write who is spawning at that exact tavern, then load a savegame where I know which tavern to inspect, edit the code once, and launch it to see what is causing it to crash.  Or.. naah thats too scientific.  I might actually learn something by mistake  :wink:

Fixed an issue causing Drow villages to spawn with Zann village walkers instead of Drow

adjusted character creation menus
      added a popup help to remind what the valid combinations of race and king/prince/vassal selections were in place of the premade characters menu
          this took forever to make readable because popup dialog centers text, ruining column alignment.  It's not perfect but it may work.

edited heirlooms (which are skipped for king/prince/vassal) so that
            cooking or leatherworking skill inheritances begin with mastery
            great armor of my ancestors choice fixed for giants and drow; also male and female distinctions for those two
      possibly found the place where it loops back and asks for player to choose race/starting town a second time    still looking

edited magic items; some items had incorrect flags for the type of object
        wounding curse now shows a crossbow, which it most resembles

edited drow priestesses both for name and equipment
                dark wizard equipment

Wednesday 18 Nov 15: 
  start of Patch Test G

editing mission_templates
      found source of tremendous explosions with large kill radius with some magic items. 
      Instead of instant kill these now do a smaller random amount of blunt damage.

removed pieces (fragments) of rage, sprint, focus in order to remove keypressed bindings for  j  o  k    keys
      many mission_templates are missing a test for end of battle  - Thanks to KonykSoldatyk for noticing

editing game_menus
      fixed inverted test for routed enemies / friendlies being more than remaining to determine victory conditions
      raisins had incorrect internal requirement of cooking skill 6 rather than 3 as intended

Thursday 19 Nov
      adjusted starting cities list so that "Qaletaqa" goes to the new location for Qaletaqa, instead of Refugio.
      since one destination was already a Giant city, set the Vellinaz choice for the southern giants instead to go to Silk Throat, between the southern giant cities
          and home to the dark Elves / Drow / Jann however they want to call themselves

Friday 20 Nov 15:
    put a check for seashells, amber, and pearls to not show up in village inventories if not tied to a "coastal" flagged town 
    roughly doubled the amount of goods available at a village
    adjusted prices and weights on some trade goods such as pearls, jewelry, seashells, amber, glass
    made gunpowder no longer a unique item but sold rarely in towns and villages, allowing crafting of bullets for magic items ammo

increased slightly the number of items at a town general merchant
    put the check for seashells, amber, and pearls at town general merchants to set probability of these to 0 if not at a coastal town

adjusted simple_triggers check for granting vassal offers to players to allow 1 in 3 chance of female player having a check
        but at -10 relation to ruler UNLESS the ruler is a matriarch, in which case +10 relation
        males checking relation to a matriarch have a -8 adjustment.
        matriarchy:  kingdom_5 (redwoods), kingdom_12 (Cretas), kingdom_15 (Sut Giants), kingdom_17 Drow/Jann/whatever they are called

adjusted prices for items downwards
      all mounts generally 1/3rd less, including exotic mounts
      armors down 1/3 to 1/2, but some armors were too cheap and went up.  Perhaps this was common bandits gear, which may sell better now
          quite a few items were priced very high for no reason other than selling back to merchants.  Why would a merchant pay so much for junk?
          down some on more expensive arrows, up on more exotic bolts
          non-magic bows, crossbows, weapons above 1500 generally had prices reduced 1/3rd to 1/2
        water is about half the price it was; spiders are down.

there may be a new mount next week, but hopefully its something you weren't expecting.  We'll see...
      I'll need much of next week, time that was planned for "magic", but if successful I think you'll be much more impressed than perfect magic.
        I still do more than cut & paste...
          ---
      editing items prices implies the companions can come down in price now that their gear isnt worth stealing as much; most came down 1/3 except Silvethiel
        rose to 7 K from 4K.  In general, companions are priced around half the list value of their gear, except Aracanus

edited stats on "flame bringer" according to suggestion from Haka; raised price slightly and raised Aracanus cost

found the cause of all lords not having correct shield skills; they were missing a number of other skills as well

removed kingdom messengers as a random kingdom party spawn at triggers.py;
          this should reduce the number of display messages "I found {playername} and delivered the message; her:his response was negative"

edited terrain at village 141 "Mishina" to uncover a village. Its fully fixed now.
      edited a few floating rocks at village 143 "Talibash"
      edited village 142  "banuk" but still have about 80-100 AI mesh vertices to drag around (so 2/3 to 3/4 done)

added at start_game initialization a +4 ironflesh for all giant troops, beyond whatever they had by tier and type
          +6 strength, +3 power strike, +3 power_throw
      added for heroes, a 1 time +3 ironflesh, in addition to all other things from inheritance etc, so that lords etc have more hp as giants
          +5 strength, +2 power strike, +2 power throw
      ALL of these apply to both male and female giants.  This takes place in the first few seconds of the game before the player has selected their race,
        so skips the player.

edited Queen Arwen and the Jann/Drow queen to have clothes for feasts.  No, the Drow queen isn't eating any males - yet...
      edited Castle scene for Silk Throat so feast places lords and ladies in the correct room instead of broken into two rooms.
          testing shows there is still an entry point issue for the player when entering a feast
          all the male lords and all the female lords (Queen, princesses) at the drow feast are undressed
              I'll have to chase that later, maybe its time to release hot patch Test G

edited Tamaris to have hair. 
          I'm told Silivethiel needs face code edit also, I'll have to get that later

Monday 23 Nov 15:
  * 3 * days until Thanksgiving, running low on time
  was very sick last 2 days, lost much needed time.  Today at least I can half focus.
  giving up on taking magic to the next level for this week, instead focus is on making something unusual.  This is something I played with earlier, taken
      a few steps further.  Much time spent spinning objects and mapping a UI for special surrogate mounts.  It has one bright aspect - its unique.
      I'd like to enchant a ring, wyverns, and dragons to do something different.  It just might work...
--
    added a speed adjust for troops, heroes, and player based on encumbrance check results and modified by athletics.

added a hop and glide command for wyverns
        wyverns come to a full stop,  jump, glide, and when they touch ground again they are allowed to go normal speed again.
        speed during glide accelerates the longer the glide lasts; distance and top speed is a function of height.  It is possible for a player to trade speed for height by key command.  Normal riding commands are not possible while gliding.  You may continue to use ranged weapons/throwing/lance.  This should make
all those uneven terrain fights more interesting.

status: in debug.  I have it working in segments so I can examine each stage for now.
    Still not auto transitioning from gliding to ground running.
    ground running while mounted and moving  -> start of glide  is finished
        glide itself is not auto adding velocity vector, but for now is keyboard controlled
        At the moment it is contained to the village center until smooth, then will be copied to other missions.

I expect it to be finished with a realistic glide tomorrow.  This would make a good demo for patch Test I on Thanksgiving or thereabouts.
  Timetable is approximate: it's done when its done, but I'll try to be quick.

Tuesday
    Ow!  day 4 of intense pain.  Unable to sit, stand, pee, or not cry.  Even injections don't slow the pain enough to do more than say today probably not much gets done.  Sucks.
  EDIT in the day got unblocked and can relieve pressure.  Now it only hurts to laugh.  I'm laughing at myself, really.
    I still have 2 days to come up with something you never saw before.  piece of cake

gsanders said:
Monday 23 Nov...
...gets done.  Sucks.

Aw, mate. That does suck indeed. :???: I know you have this plan laid-out, of what you want to get done but please take some time for yourself if you need it. I would love to offer my help but I'm pretty useless when it comes to learning, can't seem to get my head around things like modding very easily and become quite stressed. Pretty sure you'd rather spend the time needed (possibly ages to teach somebody like me) to make some actual progress lol.

But less about me and focus on feeling better. Really hope you do and all the best, GS.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I do hope you start to feel better soon. Most defiantly take a break and get yourself feeling better that is what is important.

ravan said:
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I do hope you start to feel better soon. Most defiantly take a break and get yourself feeling better that is what is important.

4 days with kidney stones in both kidneys.  One is 4 mm.  I think I'll get my prostate checked today. Sometimes the pain is enough to throw up.
It's the problem of the week; one in a list.  But its doing a great job of keeping me from getting the next patch done.

- GS
EDIT:  eventually I discovered my back had failed, and the kidney issues, spastic prostate, etc were symptoms of another origin.
So like a good bug should I have an exoskeleton over my lower back and have an alpha blocker to let me pee (micturate) freely. 
My chair broke, I can only walk a few steps, and otherwise I am confined to home.  But I live, no surgery, and for the moment no pain.
That's a happy Thanksgiving.  I guess that means back to work!

I last left my wyvern able to hop and stop halted in mid air waiting for the next step,
so plenty to do.  Now I want to record velocity before the leap and apply it as a constant, recurring vector.
I can then add to the vector according to gravity, at up to 9.8 m/s/s acceleration, and apply the effects at 0.1 second intervals to smooth it, or perhaps 0.2 with the "animate" command to let the game engine smooth the acceleration effect.  I store the vector as unique X and Y components to allow turning. 

For NPC wyvern riders I should consider the effect a 3rd dimension has on formations code and whether I need to add a triangle intercept algorithm to try to pick an aim point ahead of a moving rider as the speed becomes higher.  I may also need to experiment with a larger tactical map, as suggested by Haka.
One reason I didn't want Wyverns to fly is I enjoyed limiting their swooping to not grant infinite height and otherwise to make them more difficult to dominate every battle, especially if their rider has some grenades or the right area weapons.  I think PBOD has volley fire where all archers can focus on a single target; maybe they take out the wyvern first, and let the player drop.  I should code something to let that happen.  Then both sides can have fun....

Managed to auto-glide for the first time just now. 
  All these days only being able to sit 5 minutes at a time, but something worked. 
  Now to make a screen capture clip....

got it.  Here's my first clip:
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgESW5mZGgzZmhMOU0/view?usp=sharing

It is also possible to turn while gliding; you can also climb, sacrificing forward speed for height; and dive, which converts height into added forward speed
In general the glider loses 20 cm each 0.2 seconds; I happened to have picked a very tall hill for starting.  The initial jump upwards is 1 1/2 meters, so on a very flat map the distance covered is not great.  So far I cannot have multiple hops per mission, but that would be the next goal.  I'll also put this into more missions; village_center was just the starting point because it is the simplest mission_templates.  The glider accelerates forward every 0.2 second tick so
forward airspeed keeps accelerating.  I haven't shown all the keys defined for in flight user interface; in general these are the top half of the number pad:
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, \, *, +, -  all have special use when flying/gliding.    0 starts a glide/fly  you can start a glide even while the mount is moving quickly and it does not miss the carpet.  When the carpet hits ground your mount can resume moving at full speed; it is restrained while in flight to not jump off.
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgEdzVUZmliOUduSHM/view?usp=sharing

- GS

after some WEEKS of sustained illness all is well again and I can sit in my chair and focus again. 
  Work had their annual review and I am still employed; I had spent some personal funds on equipment for the company in order to help out, and apparently it was noticed so I was given back what I put in yesterday as a Christmas bonus, and renewed at a time I could have just as well been let go.  Basically I had taken a 1/3rd cut in pay last summer to save my job, and put another 1/3rd salary towards fixing the tools of my trade this month, and it seems to have done the job - noone else bothered to do this, even though most of the office workers voted (in fornt of me!) to cancel my job, as if somehow cutting me gives them a bigger bonus or saves their job. The owner disagreed, and stated the one vote was more important than the "democratic" revolt the other office workers asked.  Its always interesting to see who your friends are when each of them is thinking they can somehow save themselves by knifing another person -- but none of them actually believe I accept a token salary and all the fancy gear I had, I never asked my boss for - I bought it myself.  Thats why I dont mind programming on it.  I do waste, I suppose, a little electricity and some floor space.  I said something about a "lifeboat" but didn't dispute that I work on video games programming for lack of anything better to teach myself while waiting for my last day.  It's one reason I ask less from my day job - but couldn't coast without at least finding half pay.  I have a few months renewal at least, and my boss is an optimist, after 10 years with me.  Plus I spent the week boosting my tools (at my own expense, again) to both better handle the unlikely prospect of "action" at my day job and to do something hardware related (robotics? microcontrollers? embedded devices??) instead of pure software.  My day job is supposed to be hardware oriented, but they consider me strictly for software and never use me for service anymore.  I should be doing some of each.  Anyway, I'm free to program again, after a week of scrambling at work, which follows the previous week + of bed ridden status. 

SO today's focus is back to basics again:    TAVERNS and tavern keeps in town scenes.    These seem to not be stable or are messed up in my test saves,
so I want to explore why and try to resolve that.  It's possible fixes only apply to fresh savegames, but if so I should be able to teleport to every town in a fresh save and validate that at least every tavern is responding, then try every guild training, and see if when the last guilds are trained if the scenes are changed.  There seemed like some relationship -- originally one town scene was working, and later, it seemed switched or changed.  SO I want to walk through that with many snap shot savegames made to go back and watch values change with time, testing taverns for decay or change.  It seems to me that is my #1 issue,
as most others are either cosmetic or hot patch capable, but this one runs deep.

- GS

Monday: spent the day shopping and buying items for work.  Have a project due for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom