Dead Monarchy - Medieval | Turn-Based | Mass-Tactics | RPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks pretty cool. The idea of fight to the death tournaments after an almost apocalyptic loss of population seems odd though. Makes more sense than full on war I guess.

Big Bad Pent said:
Looks pretty cool. The idea of fight to the death tournaments after an almost apocalyptic loss of population seems odd though. Makes more sense than full on war I guess.

Thanks for the feedback! More will be explained in time :smile:

Hey guys, so I'll be doing a short series of videos on the upcoming demo. The first episode is pretty info heavy as I'm explaining the current state of combat mechanics and overworld gameplay. I've got time stamps in the description if there are specific parts you want to skip to. Over the next few days, I'll be releasing a few more videos until the entirety of the demo is more or less covered. I should be dropping the demo very soon, fingers crossed :grin:

I'm open to all feedback, good and bad, especially the bad as I need to know which areas to continue to improve upon!

Episode 3 is out! Admittedly I don't do much commentary in this video however things get very interesting towards the end. Definitely something I didn't expect!

Demo is out guys, please let me know what you think. Be as critical as you like because it only helps improve the game :smile:

Also will be greatly appreciated if you post your specs and average FPS, there is a counter in the top right hand corner.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-monarchy/downloads/dead-monarchy-demo-pre-alpha-01

If you experience low/unsteady FPS, for testing purposes it may be suitable to play on Medium or lower with V-sync disabled. The skeleton/rig for the models is currently using an unnecessary amount of bones which is putting more stress on the CPU. I am waiting on an update for a 3rd party tool I am using so I can bake away the extra bones.

I tried two arena runs, the first time ( 4 vs 4) the team got wiped, as I had no idea what I was doing.
Second game I won eventually ( 2 vs 4 ) but it took absolutely ages. Of the 10 to 20 rounds the entire combat lasted, most of them were just everyone dodging or blocking.
It felt very dissatisfying to see that choosing different options didn't really seem to matter, as they all missed anyway. The opponents kept bashing armor, which means that in the event that they did get past block/dodge, they just lowered the armor and on to the next round we went.

MaHuD said:
I tried two arena runs, the first time ( 4 vs 4) the team got wiped, as I had no idea what I was doing.
Second game I won eventually ( 2 vs 4 ) but it took absolutely ages. Of the 10 to 20 rounds the entire combat lasted, most of them were just everyone dodging or blocking.
It felt very dissatisfying to see that choosing different options didn't really seem to matter, as they all missed anyway. The opponents kept bashing armor, which means that in the event that they did get past block/dodge, they just lowered the armor and on to the next round we went.

Thanks for the feedback! The majority of abilities have not been implemented yet so the tactical options are limited so far. Few questions:

1. Did you try using longswords/rapier with their special attacks?
2. Did you try flanking to take advantage of the hit chance bonus?
3. How was the performance, which settings did you use?
4. Which weapon types did you decide to go with?

The AI basically prioritizes the head and reduces Helmet rating to take advantage of the bonus head damage. After attacking the head, eventually both the AI and your own units will exhaust themselves so you will have no other option than to attack the body. In the future there will be abilities to regain stamina/fatigue, but for the demo it can be viable to skip your turn and let your fatigue/stamina regenerate to save up for a head attack. The other thing is that in regards to bashing armor/helmet in order to do damage you need to have more Strength than the opponent's helmet/armor rating. It is similar to Banner Saga.

There are also different weapon synergies. It may be wise to bring an axeman along with your party to reduce shield block chance, or a hammer for guaranteed armor damage, then perhaps bring something like a rapier/longsword for higher attack chances.

Also, do you have any suggestions to improve combat, what would you like to see?

1) they died off the bat :sad:
2)  Accidentally yes, but it is not a great tactic when outnumbered it seems. the ai did use it
3)  I didn't change any settings, though I looked for a sound level slider. performance was smooth
4) I didn't decide, but it was longsword, rapier, axe and something else first party. then two seemingly elite knights with piked hammers and shields

I did notice the stamina dropping, and tried to have them do nothing a turn see if it regens, but it didnt seem to (didnt look for it though).

MaHuD said:
1) they died off the bat :sad:
2)  Accidentally yes, but it is not a great tactic when outnumbered it seems. the ai did use it
3)  I didn't change any settings, though I looked for a sound level slider. performance was smooth
4) I didn't decide, but it was longsword, rapier, axe and something else first party. then two seemingly elite knights with piked hammers and shields

I did notice the stamina dropping, and tried to have them do nothing a turn see if it regens, but it didnt seem to (didnt look for it though).

Thanks again for the feedback, every bit really helps. Haven't really gotten around to adding the menu options in yet, there is currently only a toggle on/off sound. I'll be continuously updating the demo so hopefully you'll give it another whirl. If you have any more feedback, feel free to let me know. Btw did you get any fps drops? I got reports that FPS was dropping quite a bit in combat. I'd appreciate it if you give me your PC specs and what your average FPS was :smile:

Also for flanking, admittedly the arena is pretty small. In an upcoming update, I'll be adding a larger arena with more space, so the enemy won't be engaging you in one turn and pinning you down with AOO right off the bat. That should give more opportunities to flank.

No problem. Will check the fps in the weekend.
One thing though, in the future please edit your post instead of multiposting :p

MaHuD said:
No problem. Will check the fps in the weekend.
One thing though, in the future please edit your post instead of multiposting :p

Thanks much appreciated and no worries, will do in the future!

Hey guys, first written devblog is up on Indie DB, it talks about armor progression and armor design direction. It also has some pictures of the updated Gambeson armor set.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-monarchy/news/devblog-1-armor-progression-design-direction

Hey guys, devblog 2 is up on Indie DB. As mentioned, I talk about the initial progress I've done on formation AI and I have some video footage on it too. I've also got a couple more sets of armor, this time centered around mercenary themed armor.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-monarchy/news/devblog-2-formation-ai-mercenary-armor

So it's been a while guys. Been busy with various features that you can read up on my latest devblog :smile:

I have a new demo coming out later this months (22nd June) that should address some of the issues I encountered from the first demo, building on some of the feedback I received as well. The biggest thing is battles on more open levels with elevation.

Check it out:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-monarchy/news/dead-monarchy-devblog-3-elevation-features-formation-ai

There's going to be more updates from now on. They'll be smaller updates, but I'll be posting every week now. Every Wednesday, I'll showcase a new armor set and every Saturday, I'll showcase a new enemy. Also, I'm going to try for a new devblog every month. Some of the armor sets you might have seen already but in most cases they've been slightly edited to fit the new armor system. I'll be showcasing all the armor sets in the "cloth armor" tier for a couple of weeks. There will be extensive customization options in Dead Monarchy but I won't spoil it all, I don't plan on showcasing any of the legendary armor sets.

A quick review of how the armor system works. You have two armor slots, helmet and armor (body). Each armor piece protects against attacks that are aimed towards the head or body. Helmets can be permanently lost if completely broken, armor will just be unable to be equipped again. There will be around 10 tiers of armor, but within each tier of armor there will be several variants. Some variants will just be retextured, but others are completely different models. I think this strikes a nice balance between improving your gear but also giving you options of creating unique characters.

Cloth Armor 1-4:

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Devblog 4 is now out. Briefly covers the player base and the process of map generation. Will be diving deeper into the player base later on.

https://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-monarchy/news/dead-monarchy-devblog-4-forest-biome-player-base

Back
Top Bottom