Current Events

Users who are viewing this thread

You're right, the only thing that matters is that you and your companions are good-looking (that's why I dress Ymira in Court Dress (using "item_kinds1.tx" to make them appear in shops), looks funny on the battlefield :grin:). But well, you can use the stats of the landsknecht/crossbowman clothing (Padded or something?), which are (in my humble opinion) also too high compared with other armour. And they look as if they hide some armour in it (or are landsknechts really that fat?).

BTW perhaps a stupid question, but can you lay ambushes in Warband?

You can rest in a town or castle, and when a weak enemy comes around, then you quickly move out and catch them before they can run to safety.

Or you can just have really high spotting and pathfinding, stalk them from outside their (but inside your) field of vision, and intercept them once you're sure they have nowhere to run to.

Ah, that way. Thank you.

Current events:
The Imperial State has declared peace with the Lion Throne and war on us. Filthy turncoats. At the moment we don't feel their presence, but on the long term they will attack in force. The Ormelis, our brothers-in-arms against the Filiharnists, are locked in an eternal struggle around Uhhun Castle with the Grand Duchy and the Tsardom, so little help from their side is to be expected.
In a large and epic battle near Friesach (over 1000 participans), my Fähnlein together with 4 Swadian lords stopped the entire campaigning army of Mondo. After the battle I expected a lot of high-quality loot (I hoped offcours to get Fafniel), but most of it was taken away by the lords while my men were lying unconscious in the hospitals! Next time Baron Otto von Hahrengothus will have to find someone else to save his ass.
Currently I am rebuilding my company to its former glory (we took quite heavy casualties), and limit myself to fight only the Lowlanders and Legio II Aionios. (perfect bait for Doppelsoldners, and experience points for footmen -- or, off course, death.)

Otto has depression, you know.

And that's really the only way to start an ambush. It isn't coded in as a function or something, I think.

And erm, was it just Mondo?

I just knocked Mondo around and took his Sword  :lol:

Funny story, that. I managed to catch him off-guard and away from the campaign, just shortly before he would've taken refuge in Lerna. He didn't run as I moved to approach him, since his 160 Elites were numerically stronger than my 110 Rag-Tags...but - courtesy of tactics 8+2 - his Brigadiers retreated in the middle of the fight in order to regroup with the Standard Bearers that entered the fight as a reinforcement wave, thusly causing them to shimmy uselessly around the battlefield while my crossbowmen, archers and pistoleers kept harassing them, thereby leaving them with no strength to fend off the infantry charge  :smile:

Venitius said:
And erm, was it just Mondo?

Actually, no. he was leading about the entire Lion Throne military in a campaign, his forces numbering about 600/650 men.
When I finally had won that battle (with the 400-or-so other Swadians Ofcourse), I was a little bit pissed about the little amount and bad quality of loot I got, and the fact that I didn't got any uniques.
Currently, I have got Isleberg and Gramrock, which I sold, and Rosebud, which I gave to Ymira.
In the meantime, I have saved another couple of Swadian lords, and am occupied fighting regular LT and IS forces, instead of patrols.

Huge battles in which the player is aided by a considerable force give the worst opportunity for good loot, as I've pointed out before, even if the opposing army is very large.
For uniques, the best chances are when the owner of the prized object is challenged alone.

Captured Joe said:
Bunduqdari said:
For uniques, the best chances are when the owner of the prized object is challenged alone.

That's in Warband right? I don't have that.
Anyway, thanks.

EDIT: or do you mean with 'challenge', to attack the guy's party on your own?
Naah I mean to attack the guy's party while you're alone. It has to do with how loot chances are calculated by the game.

For my Haelmarian conscript, Hiame Crest, the Union is still locked in a currently ninety day war with Vaegir. After both sides having tossed each other around, Prince-Sovereign led his men to a 268-1200 battle against the Vaegir. Needless to say, he was defeated. It didn't matter, as the Grand Duchy, Laurians, and the conscript fought the remaining Vaegir forces, leading to the capture of nearly all Vaegir boyars.

For the Kaiserlicher Dragoon, he leads a hopeless battle against all nations. The fool of a Kaiser, almost unannounced, declared war against everyone. They had been forcing the Filaharnists back towards their Ellisian foothold with the help of the Ormelli, but as soon as this, as one could say, World War was declared, every nation formed truces and sent forces straight towards Imperial territory. Yes, Swadians and Filaharnists working together to eliminate the German war machine.

Still nothing on my mercenary. Just brought her to these lands, so I'll update everyone on how aiding the Laurians goes.

My character, Hauptmann Joseph, tried to get Fafniel by defeating Sergeant Hershey. Well, I did defeat him, but didn't get any unique, and I now was at war with the Holy Swadian Empire. So I went to Carl Iohann IV and pledged my allegiance, and then renounced my oath. Iohann now hates me, but now I could make my comeback in the Imperial Swadian military (the HSE, not the IS). And, I now have a banner, so I am a noble mercenary.
Some time later, while walking around in the LT backlands, I came with my 38 men across general von Reyherr with 37 men left of his army. So I charged. Upon entering the battlefield, I noticed a river between the two armies, so I decided to take cover here. But the river slopes were far too low to give any cover, and when I tried to advance, the water slowed me down, while IS cavalry scattered my men, and infantry fired down on them. Needless to say, my company got shot to pieces, I got knocked unconscious, and I was captured.
Just before von Reyherr reached the border of the IS, I escaped, and ran back to Swadia to build up a new company. Because of that, I arrived too late at a military campaign the Emperor was raising. With my rebuild company, I joined a huge Ormeli campaign led by the Padishah, helping them take Maras castle. In a battle in which 2 Ormeli armies fought some highwaymen, I optainded Brunhild. Sadly, it doesn't fit with any of my companions.
During this campaign, I joined the assault on Ergellon Castle, performing some great shocktroop-actions, cutting a way through masses of LT troops on a staircase. But while there was but one Ellisian spearman left, my game crashed to the desktop, saying 'there's too few virtual memory' or something like that.

Do you have corpses set to "unlimited", or bloodstains to "on"? That usually causes memory problems in prolonged or large battles.

Thanks to my relentless efforts in hunting down every Filaharnist, Union, Ormeli and Ducal lord I could get my dirty bandit hands on (the lickers are hiding in their little holes ATM), the Swadians, Vaegir and Laurians are now on the offensive again, with the Swadians raiding around Ellis, the Vaegir hunting down ducals in the vicinity of occupied Volga, and the Queen's campaign force engaging the Beys between Zollern and Vienna. It's a wonderful mess, with me just zipping around the world, throwing barely-trained infantrymen, heavily injured companions, and mercenaries who'll never see payday around against all the forces in the world. Just hiring troops, getting them killed, looting like a true robber baron, selling for good prices, and having my numerous chirurgeons keeping my troops in somewhat of a fighting shape. Messy, half-baked, but it works! The oppressed nations are on the rise again! And my finances have stabilised, thanks to my routinely selling great amounts of loot and killing my underlings in time to keep their wages to myself!

Hooray for the Blinded Company!  :grin:

Having come back after more than two months, I found myself in a urge to play EatRC again (it'll be hard to balance it with the incoming exams session :lol: ).

My current character is Eloy, the leader of a company named Fellows of the Land (the name is a work in progress), a regiment of foot ranging from 60 to 80 men. Any infantry soldier but looters (too silly), common bandits (too weak) and Filaharnists (can't stand them) is welcome in the company, which is why our enemies have to face a force consisting, at the moment, of a bulk of Laurian coseletes and arquebusiers, packed by Vaegir strel'tsy, Haelmarian musketeers, Bermianese marines, sea dogs, sunset riders, Nirdamese longbowmen, Kaiserlicher infantry and a small number of herreruelos and hackapell, all living together like a big, ale-fueled, blood-thirsty family. Being in the service of the Laurian Kingdom, since now we have: defended Nibelheim and Wercheg from Haelmar at least three times each; cleared the coast of Nord raiders and pirates (the latter being my main source of cannon-fodder infantry) countless times; joined a huge battle against basically all the Haelmarian lords that costed me half my company and one RL hour; razed Buillin and the other Imperial State's frontier village and conquered Chalbek Castle in an attempt to lower the 'lickers pressure on Laurian borders, since Queen Imelda is a crazy ***** and doesn't care about having all her kingdom trapped between the hammer and the anvil; found a wonderful gray trenchcoat for our captain (also known as: me). Our main tactic is always the same: getting the enemy on range, firing at him with pistols, arquebuses, blunderbuss, bows and crossbows two or three times, and engaging him shouting random warcries and insults. Lots of fun.

I'm now considering doing a Haelmarian character, maybe a musketeer, since I've spent most of the morning reading a monographical volume about Gustav Wasa and have got attracted by the frozen and cheesy lands of the Union.

Shrugger, I have a laptop 5 years old; great battles are always slow for me. And no, I am not desperate, just retarded.
Shrugging Khan said:
Hooray for the Blinded Company!  :grin:
hooray! :grin:

Current events: With my help, the Ormelis have conquered Lerna (it has 7 villages!), and all the LT castles are conquered by us and the Ormelis. Now, the Lion Throne only consists of Ellis, Abdera and their villages, and they are at war with us, the Ormeli Empire, the Haelmar Union AND the Vaegir Tsardom. The Holy Swadian armies now concentrate on the Imperial State.
In a fight with the mad Emperor against some Gun Toting Bandits, I finally obtained the Fafniel! At last! Together with the Telltale-Mace and some Throwing Axes it is in my weapon-slots. The Descriptions are epic:
-'Smash those whose ignorance burst the flame of anger!' :lol:
-'Like a knife through butter or spear through looter!' :mrgreen:
Oh and BTW I refought the battle of Ergellon castle, but it was way less epic. But we won still, though.
Now the LT has only 2 cities left, I guess their presence in Calradia will end soon. I will miss their tin-clad brigadiers; they are fun to fight.

The LT is about to make a comeback! Their armies grew explosive, and a military campaign of them besieged Ibdeles castle (which was taken by the Ormeli). Quickly I marched to there and aided the Ormelis in their defense. Fafniel never was so busy! Standing near the gap between the battlements I took out dozens of brigadiers. But because of their big numbers some got past me and knocked me unconscious. But after a while I was back on my feet and drove them off.
But now, while, thanks to me, the LT still has just two cities, both the Ormeli Empire and the HSE has declared peace with the LT, who is at the moment only at war with the Haelmar Union, who are too busy to give them any attention.
Being only at war with the IS didn't suit me, so I decided together with a lord to provoke a war with the Grand Duchy. But I couldn't find their caravans in our own territory, so I travelled to their territory. Arrived there, I was suddelny attacked by dozens of groups of cossack bandids, who defeated me. And they took Fafniel! Now I have to hack with an ordinary Flamberge.
I just defeated Boyar Nicolas' party of 78 men with my 34 men, although I wasn't at war with him, to prove my company's effectiveness to my brother. It was fun, but I guess I will have some political problems shortly though.

Well, I fiddled around with my M&B classic, so I had to start a new game.  Malthus Aristarchus IV, after getting rich from the Duchy spice trade, has raised a small company of miscellaneous mercenary horse and a few moderately equipped companions, nearly 32 in number.  I fight for the Queen's gold as they were the most desirable faction currently fighting the Lion Throne (I'll bide my time until the Empire declares war again).  The Fillys are launching a massive invasion of our southern border, and surprise, the Lickers invade over the river at the same time!  That little corner of her majesty's Calradian holdings are currently embroiled in a three-way fight for whichever those border castles are.  I hop around from battle to battle providing shock cavalry for the Laurians as needed; the fighting is hard and the odds adverse, but I'm thoroughly enjoying cutting down those shiny tin cans.  :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom