Companion SubMod

Users who are viewing this thread

I have spent the past few days doing a complete overhaul of this submod for my own personal use.  I changed every name to fit a realistic origin and each name meaning is tied to the character's skill set.  I also customized the starting gear of each character.  Now each character starts out with varying degrees of armor/weapons and each item is tied as close as possible to the character's nationality/ethnicity.  I would like to post my edited files here as an alternative download if anyone is interested but I am waiting for Alfred of Gloucester's permission.  Obviously this submod is his wonderful creation and I wouldn't want to add anything w/o first consulting him.  I will post more detailed information based on what Alfred says.  In the meantime, here's some examples:

1) Each name meaning is linked to the personality/skills of the character.  So for example, I renamed Juan Kenobi to Bairrfhionn which is Gaelic for marksman, since he is an archer.

2) The starting gear of each NPC is tied to their ethnicity, weapons skills etc.  Monolito (spearman) is now named Gerke (Frisian for Strength of the Spear).  He starts out with gloves, greaves, Frisian helmet, white lorica, angons, spear, and black shield.  Howitz (archer) is now named Aelhaearn (Welsh for Iron Bow).  Since he is a skilled archer I gave him gloves, rich carabatinae, sleeveless mail (looks Welsh/Celtic), Briton helm, Dark Hunter, arrows, Briton sword, black shield. 

3)If an NPC doesn't start out with body armor, then his dress will reflect his culture/status.  So an NPC of Gaelic/Celtic culture will be dressed in a pictish/godelic clothing whereas an Anglo-Saxon will have tunics from that culture.  The quality of the tunic will reflect that character's status as well.  I basically tried to make everything as accurate as possible given the types of items available.

4) Each NPC is now guaranteed to start with a minimum of gloves, greaves or carabatinae, lang seax, projectile, and plain black shield.  I tried to make an even amount of lite, medium and heavy payloads.

5) I raised/lowered the weapon/special skills of each NPC to make them more realistic.  For example one of the original submod companions had a 1-Handed weapon skill of over 300.  I thought that was too high so I lowered every NPC weapon proficiency to below 200, usually 125, 150 or 175 depending on the weapon in question.

DerHerbst said:
I have spent the past few days doing a complete overhaul of this submod for my own personal use.  I changed every name to fit a realistic origin and each name meaning is tied to the character's skill set.  I also customized the starting gear of each character.  Now each character starts out with varying degrees of armor/weapons and each item is tied as close as possible to the character's nationality/ethnicity.  I would like to post my edited files here as an alternative download if anyone is interested but I am waiting for Alfred of Gloucester's permission.  Obviously this submod is his wonderful creation and I wouldn't want to add anything w/o first consulting him.  I will post more detailed information based on what Alfred says.

Definitely waiting for this to be released.

Sorry guys been playing Old republic so haven't had much time.

Got Deherbst's text and Wow looks really good, i want it :grin:
I had worked on changing the names but Deherbst work has gone even further so we will scrap mine and go with his work :wink:
If you post it up and send Idibil a pm he will I'm sure add it or swap dl from OP to yours for us all to enjoy.
Good work Deherbst.
Remember this mod is for all of us, so if you have any great ideas like Deherbst please share them and it may get added.

OK this is great news!  I had class from morning til night today so I haven't gotten around to anything Brytenwalda related.  I have class all day again tomorrow and plans at night.  I will try to have everything ready for Idibil by Saturday night.  I have also made a few new/kick ass banners that also fit correctly on a banner shield.  I'll add them to the upload as well.  So far I have only made changes to the troops.txt file but Alfred has informed me that I need to edit some places in a few other files.  I'm not 100% familiar with editing those but I think I figured out what needs to be changed.  It does look very time consuming though. I'll keep you all updated...

Here's an excel sheet for the name/stat changes

newcompanionsubmod.jpg

OK I have started going through the additional files and there are a lot of changes that need to be made.  At first I thought they would be trivial but if I don't make the changes then the tavern dialogues won't make much sense with the new naming/skills assignments.  I need to change a bunch of back-stories and npc specific storylines.

DerHerbst said:
OK this is great news!  I had class from morning til night today so I haven't gotten around to anything Brytenwalda related.  I have class all day again tomorrow and plans at night.  I will try to have everything ready for Idibil by Saturday night.  I have also made a few new/kick ass banners that also fit correctly on a banner shield.  I'll add them to the upload as well.  So far I have only made changes to the troops.txt file but Alfred has informed me that I need to edit some places in a few other files.  I'm not 100% familiar with editing those but I think I figured out what needs to be changed.  It does look very time consuming though. I'll keep you all updated...

Here's an excel sheet for the name/stat changes

newcompanionsubmod.jpg

alright!  :eek: :grin:

there was mod called maws murder mod on original mnb. it had nice feature that allowed promotion of regular soldiers to companions. would it be hard to mod and balance that feature to brythenwalda?

braveheart:D said:
there was mod called maws murder mod on original mnb. it had nice feature that allowed promotion of regular soldiers to companions. would it be hard to mod and balance that feature to brythenwalda?

I have no idea how hard that would be.  I don't really know how to create new material by modding.  I really only know how to alter/improve/change things that other people have made  :lol:

I guess you could ask Idibil or someone with more skill...

I am still working on finishing the dialogues for the current version.  It's taking a lot more time than I expected.  I don't know what kind of changes are in store for 1.4 but unless they alter the files used in this submod then there won't be any need for updating.  Let's just hope that they don't change those files! 

Just tried out this sub-mod. Excellent concept, but found following bugs:

1) Horse archery and Prisoner Management skills no longer available to choose in relevant menus. Brytenwalda will auto-apply Prisoner Management skill to character with campaign progression; but player cannot select skill from Character menu.
Lack of Horse Archery skill buggered my playing style. (Yes, even in Brytenwalda I try to be a heavy horse archer :wink:  )

2) Existing companion group will no longer speak up to express their like for other companions after battles. The sub-mod has overridden this feature. Companions will still voice dislikes. Didn't play with sub-mod long enough to see if disgruntled companions actually left group or not.

hieronymos said:
2) Existing companion group will no longer speak up to express their like for other companions after battles. The sub-mod has overridden this feature. Companions will still voice dislikes. Didn't play with sub-mod long enough to see if disgruntled companions actually left group or not.

i thought this was the idea behind this sub-mod.

They never express their likes for other companions. When a companion likes 1 other companion, they're willing to tolerate another companion who they dislike.

Osmund, in the sub-mod, expresses his dislike for Bridei. But unless he likes another companion, either he or Bridei will go. The not-liking bug means that the sub-mod only allows for ultra-stable vanilla Brytenwalda companion groupings; not for the larger groupings made possible by clever playing.

But imo, this bug is not nearly as problematic as the Horse Archery bug. Horse archery is not possible with this sub-mod.

Not true. At least not for v1.39

In Brytenwalda, can do the HA thing mildly well compared to other mods. Only difference from Floris or Pendor mods is that bow accuracy is diminished..and it takes 2 hits to kill a target--except for headshots.
Have played ~20hrs or so in such conditions.

But this otherwise excellent sub-mod reduces effective HA targetting to point-blank range only, as the target reticule never closes down. Assume same happens for javelins as well, making Teulu, Marchog, etc. useless except in melee.

Unless this bug is tweaked, no HA possible in this sub-mod. Players should be advised, especially if importing characters.

Back
Top Bottom