Changes needed to war diplomacy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lukee123

Recruit
I'm just getting annoyed with how war operates in this game- You capture lords, put them in a keep and they escape 2 days later, execute them? people hate you! I had a castle full of enemy lords with captured castles put I still have to pay ridiculous amounts of tribute to make peace, and then they just escape, re gen huge armies and keep attacking until you wipe them out or another kingdom declares war, something needs to be done here-

-Capturing an enemy faction leader should provide a major advantage to peace resolution

-Something needs to be done about prisoner lords- Dungeons or something- How can they just escape 2 days later every time?? Make them expensive with escape missions/bribes/garrison or guard buffs etc but just do something to combat them escaping and amassing an army just to put them back again

-Opportunities for prisoner exchanges for high value lords

-UI needs access to to mercenaries and lord/fief distribution on a wider level- Call a war council option to hire merc factions with manageable contracts/lengths of time and be able to assign lords fiefs/command without having to search for them around the map

-More advanced ai on how peace terms are calculated- A major loss of a big army should have larger sway in the balance of the war/peace terms

War just seems like a constant chase between a cat and a mouse in this state with no depth into diplomacy- Surely I cant be the only one who thinks this??

Last edited:
I agree with everything u said the armies coming back after a couple days like nothing happened makes me feel like battles are pointless just like executions are pointless and prisoners are pointless

I'm just getting annoyed with how war operates in this game- You capture lords, put them in a keep and they escape 2 days later, execute them? people hate you! I had a castle full of enemy lords with captured castles put I still have to pay ridiculous amounts of tribute to make peace, and then they just escape, re gen huge armies and keep attacking until you wipe them out or another kingdom declares war, something needs to be done here-
This is because the other side, has hired a mercenary clan or more.
Currently, when a faction hires a mercenary clan, the tribute goes in their favor.

In my games without mercenary clans(Killed them with the console), all factions want to pay me, if all of their heroes are in prison.

This is because the other side, has hired a mercenary clan or more.
Currently, when a faction hires a mercenary clan, the tribute goes in their favor.

In my games without mercenary clans(Killed them with the console), all factions want to pay me, if all of their heroes are in prison.
Is any of this expressed via dialogue or anything in-game? To me thats one of the games biggest flaws, no one's explaining "the Maths" going on behind the computations just making everything appearing wonky and non-sensical

The above is a good shout- There should be a break down in why the peace/tribute balance is what it is (similar to finance breakdown currently in the game)- Even still, it needs to be fixed since something isnt adding up! Plus mercs leaving randomly during war (at least let them demand more pay or something?), just makes for an annoying player experience.

Ill be coming back to the game after a few large updates and will shelve for now anyhow- It seems that current updates are far more based on some design and balance elements rather than real depth & player experience! The game is just war-expand-peace, war-expand-peace; and I dont think this will truly change until we see the full potential of modding.

Can totally understand. My main issue is how fast wars pop up

Whilst I understand War allows you to conquer territory, it's too much at times.

For instance, I finished a lengthy war against the Western Empire, Battania declared war, and after a really short period of time after we voted for peace with the Western Empire in order to focus on Battania, the Wesrern Empire declared war against us

I was like, wait, we just finished war like the other day. What?

Also, enemies are able to gang up on you and you end up with 3 wars against you, and between AI they can have 2-3 wars going. However, when you know an enemy you want to weaken is at war against 1, maybe 2 groups if your lucky, which doesn't seem to happen often, interestingly enough (even when it's an opponent with lots of territory), when you try to vote for war against them it never goes through

And even when I have been able to setup war against that AI you really want, that's weak from war and ready for conquering, they immediately all of a sudden have no wars except against you

What?! This despite the fact that you, as the player, will end up with 2-3 wars and you do not get a way out. All vassals will vote to continue onwards in war.

Its...It's... over the place

I get the game is setup with a rotational system for war based on who's next to your territory, and keeping war as much as possible.

However, like has been said, there should be some peace time, and an easier time voting for peace or war against an enemy, as AI will vote for war as much as possible despite it being against their interest, and same for peace

You'll be kicking the enemy into oblivion, and you'll get a peace treaty from your own peeps. Not the enemy, your peeps.

It makes no sense!!

I would say yes, there needs to be a system in place, where you can have better control over war and peace. Like, if you have better relations with the king or queen, or clan leader, whatever they call it, then perhaps you would have better influence over decisions

Peace or war decisions go through you, and amount of wars maybe scales to difficulty level. Maybe...

Not sure if that's the best, as I see the title "realistic" and I want to proceed toward a realistic system.

Like...the council idea, maybe a specific set of Lord's only get in the war council. That makes sense. However...to give a counterpoint, that also means, let's say if a person or persons join said war council that have devious traits or close fisted, you'll end up with more war type decisions from them.

Same for AI

Just...im trying to give ideas towards what we want, not sure how to do it, but trying

If anyone has any ideas to help on this, please add

We all agree the war system is so...all over the place. Doesn't make sense, and doesn't give any advantages, but also takes away advantages

It's...really not good

-Capturing an enemy faction leader should provide a major advantage to peace resolution

-Something needs to be done about prisoner lords- Dungeons or something- How can they just escape 2 days later every time?? Make them expensive with escape missions/bribes/garrison or guard buffs etc but just do something to combat them escaping and amassing an army just to put them back again

-Opportunities for prisoner exchanges for high value lords

-UI needs access to to mercenaries and lord/fief distribution on a wider level- Call a war council option to hire merc factions with manageable contracts/lengths of time and be able to assign lords fiefs/command without having to search for them around the map

-More advanced ai on how peace terms are calculated- A major loss of a big army should have larger sway in the balance of the war/peace terms

War just seems like a constant chase between a cat and a mouse in this state with no depth into diplomacy- Surely I cant be the only one who thinks this??
totally agreed with everything you said. And I even made similar post like this . and here is my topic about the situation https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-completely-broken-with-latest-update.449883/

I'm just getting annoyed with how war operates in this game- You capture lords, put them in a keep and they escape 2 days later, execute them? people hate you!
giphy.gif

War just seems like a constant chase between a cat and a mouse in this state with no depth into diplomacy-
giphy.gif

Surely I cant be the only one who thinks this??
giphy.gif

Definitely useful perks, but it's absolutely ridiculous that capturing lords don't mean anything without specific perks. It's one of the things that makes mid/late game so boring and repetitive. If capturing lords meant that they would actually be... you know... captives... It would be one step toward making battles meaningful.

The fact that they slip through dungeons like water through a sieve (It actually seems like the more nobles of one faction you capture the higher the chance of an "escape" will occur) is something that needs to be changed.

Definitely useful perks, but it's absolutely ridiculous that capturing lords don't mean anything without specific perks.
Oh it still doesn't mean anything! I kept the Aserai faction prisoner for years and they never asked me for peace, not that I would have wanted it. See because Aserai is annoying land to take I just kept them prisoner until I had delt with other factions, but because they can still pay for all their garrisons (their land is 100% fine without any lords in it for years?)and are likely even gaining money form not having parties, they value their power so much that they think they're still in the fight. The AI, including your own vassal just doesn't understand or value having everyone prisoner. Basically it feels like everything about war/peace calculations is just aimed at getting the AI factions to have endless wars without too much progress (anti-snowballing) and ignores what the player would consider or understand all together.

Back
Top Bottom