In Progress Can't tell which of my troops of a type have survived and which have died

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Summary: When I start the game, recruit my first troops, and go questing with them, they become part of my adventure. They eventually upgrade to higher tier troops, you have to provide them with mounts and war mounts (for cavalry at least), and eventually they become an integrated part of the campaign. I take certain troops with me on hideout raids, into street fights, etc. Then, as the game progresses, I become a vassal, and eventually join a Lord's army, my troops (including the ones I started the game with) get shuffled around at the Lord's discretion and it's impossible to tell which are mine and which are other Lords' troops. After the battle, I can review how many troops of each type have survived the battle but there is no way to tell if my "questing party troops" have survived without a gimmick like only keeping only one Banner Knight in my party to be able to know which troop is my original Vlandian Squire, but this makes the game untenably difficult. But not doing something like this makes it impossible to know whether he died or not since seeing the number of Banner Knights go from "30" to "29" doesn't tell you *which* Banner Knight has died. You currently have to pretend that he survived or did not.

How to Reproduce: Start any game, recruit troops, Play the game with troops surviving early raids+battles+quests, upgrade those recruited troops, become vassal, Join Army, Battle, notice there is no way to tell if the troops you trained survived battle apart from any other troops of the same type

Have you used cheats and if so which: No

Scene Name
(if related): Not related
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs: XBox One S

Last edited:
What? This is you personal preference to impose conditions on your playing not a bug. If you do not want to lose control of your troops in battle follow an army around, do not join it. These battles can have 10000+ troop battles, at the end of it it welll

What? This is you personal preference to impose conditions on your playing not a bug. If you do not want to lose control of your troops in battle follow an army around, do not join it. These battles can have 10000+ troop battles, at the end of it it welll
Hi. I'm thinking you're misunderstanding what I was referring to. My summary involving "joining an army" was just a story to illustrate how the problem of not being able to have "my questing party" marked in a battle makes it so that I have no way of telling my rank and file troops apart from the troops that I trained from the beginning of the game, built up, and have fought alongside me. At the end of a battle, I kind of care about how many of my most expensive troops were lost and I kind of care about whether my "first recruits" have survived.

The game keeps track of your hideout raiding party between hideout raids. I always send in the same guys. Why can't these guys be tracked across a battlefield to see if they survived?

Couldn't we have the ability to "promote" a soldier to an officer within their unit after they get 10 kills and participate in at least 10 battles such that they got a name card that made them into a minor hero that would track their accolades?

If this is an enhancement request and this is not the right place for an enhancement request, please let me know where this should have gone. It seems like being able to call out your best troops for "special service to their lord" would be a good idea, even if it is only for narrative purposes.

Isn't there a way to flag my guys as "my guys?"

Last edited:
Your soldiers are NOT notables or companions, they are just "lumber of the land"

Maybe in the future, a feature or mod, will allow the player to "promote" your soldiers to ??? special forces ? companions ? notables ?

Your soldiers are NOT notables or companions, they are just "lumber of the land"

Maybe in the future, a feature or mod, will allow the player to "promote" your soldiers to ??? special forces ? companions ? notables ?
First, if the game doesn't support anything like this, then I think this would have to be worked into the game as a new feature because -the last I heard- there is no intention of enabling mod support on console.

Second, being able to promote soldiers to companion or notable status would certainly add some interesting layers to the game. It could be neat to have a "common soldier" promoted to companion assigned as governor of a city/castle lcould boost your troop morale at the expense of your relationship with noble born. Being able to upgrade a few knights' horse armor, sword/lance/armor would be very interesting much like -what you said- "special forces" or "Praetorian Guard" or something of that type.

While that sounds EXCELLENT (and I think I want that too lol), I wasn't even going that far with what I'm suggesting. Allowing the player to make a companion out of a soldier would need to have rebalancing taken into consideration, play testing, and all that jazz. What I'm looking for is something that shouldn't really impact balance at all.

What I'm suggesting that I'd like is for "my best soldiers"(as I decide) to be able to earn their way to becoming entities who are *more* than "the lumber of the land" and be tracked by flagging them, named, and just tracked as part of my clan through the game(maybe be able to change something about their look so that they look apart from the "lumber of the land"???) so that the Vlandian Squire that I recruit at the beginning of the game and fights with me can become a minor character to my playthrough if I want to flag him and name him and track his progress with me through the campaign.

*IF* the powers that be were to decide to allow you to upgrade a soldier to companion, I just thought of a potentially cool mechanism that could guide that that would take advantage of what I suggested earlier of starting with simply allowing the game to keep tabs on them as an entity.

Through some service achievement (something like: kill 10 enemies and survive 10 battles...bandits count as half a point sounds like a decent bar) allows you to "distinguish" them by asking them their name. That names them and creates a card that tracks their status.

After you distinguish them and they continue with you further (eg: 25 kills + 25 battles...bandits count as 1/2), they then get converted to a minor hero that can be given a banner and assigned to a unit as a hero troop.

After he takes part in successfully taking/defending a castle during a siege, he can be distinguished by gifting him an upgraded primary weapon and set the color of his armor palette to make him uniquely identified.

Limit the number you can flag and promote this way to the number of companions you are allowed to have.

I'm thinking of how the Byzantine Emperor had his Verangian Guard (they were Vikings)

Last edited:
Through some service achievement (something like: kill 10 enemies and survive 10 battles...bandits count as half a point sounds like a decent bar) allows you to "distinguish" them by asking them their name. That names them and creates a card that tracks their status.

Read my suggestion about warheros
I am certainly +1

New enhancement to piggyback on this idea: Allow troop missions to be given to "war heroes" such as
(basic)"go to Khuzait, recruit me 50 horse archers and deliver them to <settlement> once you have them"
or
(complex)"go to Vlandia and bring me 10 Vanguard. Meet me with them to siege Sestadaim Castle in 20 turns. Here's the money and food to pay them."

A troop tracker, distinguished service mod and improved garrisons mod. These have been in the p.c version for a while and contain most of your suggestions but they haven't been made apart of the the game in all that time.

TaleWorlds: If the lack of movement on this is due to bandwidth constraints, I'd be willing to volunteer my time to making some of these happen for the console version.

(I'm an information system architect with 22 years of experience with C#. It would be a dream come true to get my name on a credits list.)

Back
Top Bottom