Can I run this game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steam is convient, uses minimal memory and is easy to use. Like I said, it'll work wonders for patching and multiplayer. Seeing as everyone and his dog won't be running different versions.

Impulse also automatically notifies you of updates and allows you to download them. It also notifies you if your drivers are out of date. It doesn't take up any memory, since you don't need to run it to play the game, and I've never been unable to install or play because the servers were overloaded. Nor do they insist on sticking to American time zones for customers in Europe.

As for memory, 16 Mb is not what I'd consider a small memory footprint for a glorified download client when it's not actually active, and that's just the .exe, the separate service I don't even want to look at :lol:

Oh **** 16mb! That'd be bad if we were in the 90's. Steam uses less than leaving MSN open.
Steam downloads updates.
Drivers out of date should be simple enough for most people.
The servers problem is because not anywhere near as many people use it at as steam.

And, you saying Valve couldn't anticipate the load balance for the release? It's just pure laziness on their part.

16Mb is fine for a program actually doing something. When the only thing it's actually doing is sitting in a taskbar ready to leap into action it's ridiculous.

It still doesn't matter, 16mb is still nothing, it's not like it's ever been a big issue for you is it?
Damn, my game is running slow, if only I had that precious 16mb.

Actually yes, that 16 MB is meaningful. For a start, it could be being used by a program that's actually doing something rather than sitting there telling me that your E:TW has crashed again :razz:

Valve are the new Microsoft, which is never a good thing.

I've got plenty other 16mb's around, it's not like it's taking dibs on it.

That's like saying that an cup is sitting on a massive table is a big inconvience because it's taking up a small space that something else might want to use, even though there's the rest of the big ****ing table.

And 16mb isn't so pressing. You're just clutching at straws.
I have no idea why everyone hates Steam for seemingly no good reason. It's like the Vista hate trend, everyone hates it but know one knows quite why they should.

I just gave several good reasons.

How about I break it down and make it simple for you:

As a system:

1. It demands you run the client in order to play games, even if you're in offline mode.
2. Said client tends to screw up regularly, i.e. the "Download starting" issue
3. You can't remove the community crap
4. In order to activate offline mode, you need to be online in the first place.
5. And in order to continue to use offline mode, you need to connect once every four weeks or it stops working.
6. You usually can't use the retail patches on the Steam version, and it can take Valve weeks to get around to pushing out a patch, if indeed they ever do, even if the developer has provided the patch prior to the retail version
7. It sends information on my use of the client, as well as the system it's running on, back to Valve
8. It resets settings such as whether you actually want to receive updates for a game, or your download location, on a regular basis
9. If Steam is busy, you can be prevented from playing or installing a game because the servers can't take it

As a store:
1. Prices are ridiculously high compared to retail stores, let alone competing digital stores
2. Valve's customer service is non existent
3. Thanks to deeming the service a subscription rather than a store, they can ignore most trading laws
4. They can close or cancel your account at any time and for any reason, including if they think you are cheating on an online game
5. If your account is registered to an address in one country, and you try and activate a game from another country, they'll block it. Complain and they'll close the account as 'fraudulent'
6. They provide the US version of the games, which can be annoying in cases where content is cut (The Witcher, GTA) or where the multiplayer aspect is tied to a specific geo (Sacred 2). Thanks to point 1, you're often paying more than it would cost to import the damn game from the US, let alone buy it in your own country
7. Your dependent on Steam being up and running to continue to play the games you have purchased.
8. No refunds
9. Tech support is absolutely laughable at the best of times, particularly for non-valve products

Like I said, they're the new Microsoft. I've had a Gamer's Gate account for years, they've changed their service in response to criticism and the desires of the users, most recently for example they've ditched the client software and noted if a game includes a DRM system on the purchase page. I've had an account with Stardock since Gal Civ 1 was released, and again I've seen it change in response to the comments and suggestions of it's user base.
I've been with Steam since Dark Messiah, and the only change they've made is a completely useless and redundant community service which is inferior to X Fire. Oh, and they finally got around to showing prices in local currency; something which was "coming soon" back when Half Life 2 was released.
So we're basically down to a company pushing a shoddy and inferior service than their competitors which publishers love because it provides them the kind of control over their product which you simply don't get through traditional methods due to consumers hating it and being unwilling to pay for it if given a free choice. Sounds familiar.
It's not to say Steam is unrelentingly ****, it does have some useful features too. The problem is most of those features have now been incorporated into their competitor's systems. While Paradox, Stardock and even Direct2Drive have consistently tried to improve and innovate in their service to attract customers, Valve have sat on their arse and done sod all. Of course, given they can handcuff you to their service via the publisher there's no reason for them to even try to improve.

Funny thing is, when EA does this kind of **** they're deservedly lambasted for it. But Valve can't put a foot wrong ....

What really irks me is that this is a *demo* I'm talking about. What the heck is the point in restricting your demo to a particular distributor, when the goal of the demo should be to get as many people interested in your game as possible? As exclusive content goes, this is the kind of thing you really *shouldn't* make exclusive, at least once the game is actually released.

Steam has some pretty good deals and bundles though that are not available in stores, that is if you want the steam version.

Only with the weekend deal really, and even then it's variable between 50 - 75% off a single game, or 5-10% off a publisher's catalogue.
Compare that to Impulse, who have far less regular weekend deals but tend to offer multiple titles (both games and applications) at a discount, or Gamer's Gate who also have a weekend deal, and usually a deal of the week/month on another title.

Pre-ordering on Steam lets you precache the game so it downloads faster when it's released. Pre-ordering on Impulse lets you into the beta while the game is in development.

Oh, and both GG and Impulse have a transparent and open refunds policy if you encounter a problem with the game. Ask Valve for a refund and they'll tell you the only way to get it is to close your account, which is a bit extreme if it's only one game out of twenty in there that you have a problem with ...

Redcoat - Mic said:
And 16mb isn't so pressing. You're just clutching at straws.
I have no idea why everyone hates Steam for seemingly no good reason. It's like the Vista hate trend, everyone hates it but know one knows quite why they should.

This, is why I hate Steam:

What the ****?

Honestly, I can't help but get the feeling it's lying to me. Last I checked my dial-up wasn't near that fast.  :lol:

On another note, it was downloading the farking updates for my other steam games at the proper rate earlier, but steam is being incredibly slow, unresponsive, and just plain detrimental to my PC's health, why? I have no ****ing clue. I haven't even been able to stop any of the "updates" it's downloading because it won't show my game list, so I have no clue if and when I will actually even be able to install ETW.

Steam used to run ok on this PC years ago, when I had high-speed.

Archonsod said:
Unfortunately, memory addressing isn't quite as simple as having a huge amount of space and just sticking it wherever it will fit ...

variable = new datatype[numberoffields];

Heap? C'mon I've passed one programming class. :razz:

Mind you I agree. I haven't had any trouble running steam, and their prices are just fine here in the US, but their policies are ****.

Back
Top Bottom