Camping & Ambushes

Users who are viewing this thread

katank said:
You can have traits like RTW traits, similar to your "feats".

Fatigue would make the game too hard. A lot of it right now is your idiots getitng killed and being reduced to you fighting an entire army solo. With fatigue, you will get destroyed by the endless waves.

As for the traits or feats, they shouldn't be gained by a character point system where you assign them but be given them when your action cause a trigger.

I like the idea about dynamic traits. There should be negative traits too, though, such as cowardice for running away from battles etc.

However, I disagree with the game becoming too hard with fatigue system implemented. It is too easy for your own god of war to dispatch endless waves of enemies alone. Fatigue would put limit on the difference one warrior can do in combat. It would as well allow the player to use human wave tactics on the enemies - if you rush enemy knight with peasants, he will eventually get too tired to fight effectively, especially if he is thrown off the saddle. After all, I'm proposing the same rules to affect computer units as well.

In my opinion, it would only make things more interesting and realistic - and give chances for greaters acts of heroism.

Well, there is one "problem" with fatigue, and it would require a whole big solution to fix it. Fatigue would become the true equalizer. Example: As it stands now, if the player's army is 15 strong, it is still possible for them to take on 30 or more enemies and win. This is because they "out-kill" their enemy. If fatigue were added, there would inevitably come a point where each one of those 15 men would drop like flies. Knowing how poor the AI is at handling complex decisions already, I'm worried that it might not be smart enough to manage its fatigue levels and work its way into an unconcious death. You'd have to do a lot of work to allow the game to remain relatively unchanged if you want to add fatigue bars, etc. As for the player, he can easily back off and take a breather to gain small amounts of fatigue back, so I don't think that would be a problem; it would just slow his killing spree.

In my mind, all the fatigue was for was just a number that would negatively effect your troops run speed and attack speed. I don't mind a more complicated system but those was my thoughts on it, anyway.

=$=

Big J Money said:
Well, there is one "problem" with fatigue, and it would require a whole big solution to fix it. Fatigue would become the true equalizer. Example: As it stands now, if the pla ...
... In my mind, all the fatigue was for was just a number that would negatively effect your troops run speed and attack speed. I don't mind a more complicated system but those was my thoughts on it, anyway.

I second this, i would rather just have a worldmap fatigue, like was originally suggested, and maybe have some negative constant effects on troops.

A realistic battle fatigue would -
1. make you drop you shield and desperatly swing your 1handed weapon with both hands.
2. make moving and blocking slower meaning you're as good as dead.
3. making ground troops even more obselete than they are now.
4. lowering your contribution to the battle to a degree you would rather use the "watch fight" option in the arena instead.

This wouldn't be a good answer to lengthen battles imo, i think the AI just need to be improved for elite enemies, add an uber enemy hero and that's it.

Heh, I think you were getting the wrong idea when I used the term feats. Specializations is a better term. They would be abilities that modified the unit's effectiveness, not that single person's. Thus, rather than "berzerker" you would have specializations that made the unit X hero commanded better archers, and your character might have a specialization that made his unit better cavalry, another hero might make the army eat less food (rationing), or gain more morale from food. Since they are "specializations", any one hero or character can only have one, thus encouraging officers. I made a thread on this, so I'm going to stop wasting this thread's space and get back on topic.

Anyway, for the camping/map fatigue thing, I really like it. As for battle fatigue, I'd enjoy the realism, but I think it would just prove frustrating to the majority of players. On the forced march thing, I realize what the definition of forced march is, I've been on several. However, there are more breaks to a normal march than just stopping to camp at night. There are alot of periodic breaks every hour or so to rest legs, get water, and let horses rest. In truth, a man can outwalk a horse in a day, it has to stop more than twice as often on a journey. A horse is only really good for A) fast movement in relatively short distances or B) for someone who isn't in very good shape. Anyway, that was another tangent. The point is, on a forced march, you take less of these periodic breaks, and they are very abreviated, thus, your party on the overland map would move faster. I had interpreted your icon moving accross the world map as an abbreviated representation, and assumed that your party was proceeding at a normal march, resting periodically and continuing on, and your progress on the map already was supposed to reflect that. I would think that a forced march would have two costs, one minorly unapparent, and one more severe. First, pushing your troops without normal rests will wear them down faster, thus a slight increase in fatigue and decrease in morale. Second, since you normally camp at night to regain fatigue/stamina, and won't on a forced march, but will continue marching, you also lose the benefit of that replenishment. Now, perhaps they would only gain a 15% speed boost, and you could have Flank/rout speed as well, giving a 50% speed boost, but heavily depleting fatigue and thus, morale.

I'm not agree with a apparent fatigue's jauge.

A simple indicator on the pre-battle should be suffisant, I mean.
Player should be able to evaluate his fatigue level in-game
(like thorax move frequence increase, first-person camera move...).

Same things for the over-world,
just an indicator in party-screen should be fine.

You 're not a general ordering his Legion here, isn't it ?!
The gameplay turn around little formations,
50 men is yet a Nice army !
So you don't need an intendant that give you report on your troops.
You can estimate what their 're able to do,
since you 're with them !!!

I love this proximity with the troops in M&B,
"Small is Beautifull..."

----------------------------------------------------
About travel on the over-world,
they should be more long in my mind.

Rather then opening a 643215th thread about camping there I spill my guts (God, I should've spotted that game before)

suggestion tents!

-With different types and qualities. For example modifer called "Puncutred" or "Isolated"... etc... Having another slot in inventory to place tents which will immoblize the party so the only option is to camp.
-Having a companion whose job is to prepare tents, rather then tent being a seperate item, quality of camp depends on his/her skill. So setting up the camp via conversation (accaully that is possible to mod, by modifying conversation... hmm...).

Also
- The healing rates should drop so camping would be usefull
- Inn's would charge for more gold to make camping preferable, since there lots of towns in close to each other.
- The camping shouldn't take long (normal time flow), so faster time flow (ala inn's rest) would be there (which would NOT be stopable (no ctrl+space) since getting ambushed would be unavoidable if you are sleeping near hot zones)
- Training skill would get a bonus if camped all day (+1 to skill or +% bonus) as well as all knocked outs (didn't it took more then one day?) getting backup.

Thats all for now...

Back
Top Bottom