Bug reports and suggestions - read the first post

Users who are viewing this thread

Just a tiny suggestion; walking? Something like in Napoleonic Wars where you can toggle walking, it would just be a nice lil' feature if it isn't too much hassal to code in.

Burakkuada said:
Just a tiny suggestion; walking? Something like in Napoleonic Wars where you can toggle walking, it would just be a nice lil' feature if it isn't too much hassal to code in.
Walking is a feature hard coded into the Warband engine as the left shift key: just change the zoom control to something else in the options to be able to use walk by itself.

I looked at the NW code for toggling walking, but the method used would not be easy to integrate with PW, since that method is already used by the complex code that adjusts things like movement speed when wearing armor that is too heavy for your troop type.

Impossible without a major redesign and loss of other functions: the number of factions is not limited by anything (other than the annoyance of redesigning the player stats chart to display more, somehow), but the number of "castles" is limited to 8 (plus outlaw and commoner categories) by the PW scene making format and script design.

That means it would be possible to create "Castleless faction" slot providing they have no castle when the scene start (and with a interface update to allow more banner/diplomacy menu) ?

Prase said:
I have a problem, the scene is downloading for me every time and it is quite annoying.
If you mean that the scene keeps downloading in an endless loop when you try to connect, it is the hoster's error: they uploaded a changed scene without restarting the server.
Aldric said:
That means it would be possible to create "Castleless faction" slot providing they have no castle when the scene start (and with a interface update to allow more banner/diplomacy menu) ?
You could add more factions, but how would anyone join them if they don't own castles, since the mercenary training stations are the only way in that case, but rely on linking directly to one of the currently available faction numbers? There could be various problems in the code that would need to be fixed to enable more, since it was not designed that way. Also, as said before, you would need to overhaul the player stats chart, and that is a lot of code which took much trial and error to fine tune.

Have you ever considered making lances breakable after a few uses like in 1257ad? It would make Cavalry much more realistic and more balanced really.

A rather small suggestion from me: Add an invisible "fast" cooking pw prop - The slow one is simply annoying as a serf considering the fact that you can't sell cooked food to stockpiles and I don't want to use the fast "village" oven one everywhere.

This isnt really a bug - but its something that i feel should really be "fixed".

The salt stockpile (the pinches, not the sacks) is really big (invisible) - i dont know if this is whats known as a "collision mesh" - but it basically acts as a big invisible barrier.
The stockpile itself is also pretty darn small (and i like to scale up the small stockpile sizes so they are a little easier to see) - but i cant do that with this since if i make it any bigger the invisible barrier pretty much takes up the whole room :S

Did a search for salt in this thread and didnt find anything like this so posted it.

James Grant said:
Have you ever considered making lances breakable after a few uses like in 1257ad? It would make Cavalry much more realistic and more balanced really.
As said in the past, this mod is focused on being a new game mode based on the heavily tested Warband combat system, not a major redesign of everything (which is a way many other mods fail, trying to do far too much at once). Changing one aspect of the combat system can trigger a messy spiral of changing something else to rebalance, then something to compensate, continuing until the original system is ruined. Major combat system changes can be done successfully, of course, but would require careful design working with lots of skilful and thorough testers.

I might consider having the feature as an optional setting if you could convince me that it had widespread support from people who can explain their reasoning, and especially from server hosters. Personally, it seems to introduce an unforeseeable "dice roll" aspect to the combat system which seems generally avoided in M&B.
Pendanyk said:
A rather small suggestion from me: Add an invisible "fast" cooking pw prop - The slow one is simply annoying as a serf considering the fact that you can't sell cooked food to stockpiles and I don't want to use the fast "village" oven one everywhere.
It seems pointless to add another "fast" prop if the existing invisible one is not used; maybe the "slow" one should simply have the time reduced to a bit more than the "fast" type? The reasoning was that the fast version was the full size hot oven, whereas the invisible version would mostly be placed in front of a small fire in a fireplace, which would cook more slowly at lower temperatures.
xombie5 said:
The salt stockpile (the pinches, not the sacks) is really big (invisible) - i dont know if this is whats known as a "collision mesh" - but it basically acts as a big invisible barrier.
The stockpile itself is also pretty darn small (and i like to scale up the small stockpile sizes so they are a little easier to see) - but i cant do that with this since if i make it any bigger the invisible barrier pretty much takes up the whole room :S
Hmm: the stockpile uses a default "small item" collision object, since items don't have separate collision meshes in the .brfs (as opposed to scene props); it needs a decent sized target for players to aim at for using the stockpile, so a collision mesh exactly fitting the visible mesh would probably be unusable. It is small to accurately represent 1/16th of a salt sack, which is so preserving food in bulk doesn't require much salt to be supplied. I suggest placing it on a table or bench to make it easy to see - the preserving table is probably a good place.

Yes, you are right, decreasing the time for the slow one would make more sense.
They are being used in some maps, but as someone who usually serfs (and cooks) a lot I can say that slow cooking props are really annoying; Gathering the resources to cook should be the focus and not standing infront of a prop to hold F.

I did also try to put really small "fast" cooking ovens into fireplaces in the editor, although that didn't work too well :razz:

I have no idea how to change prices ingame. I have yet only figured out that writing 1,2,3 to stockpiles change the values, but I still have no idea what is the correcr proprtion of those. Where can I obtain a complete ''guide'' about changing export/stockpile/etc prices?

I guess I was able to make myself clear with that english.

There passed such big amount of time since the first post was updated. Could you please update it and fill with some new "popular" requests and answers, as it is pretty hard to read 256 pages?

Baskakov_Dima said:
There passed such big amount of time since the first post was updated. Could you please update it and fill with some new "popular" requests and answers, as it is pretty hard to read 256 pages?
No: the first post was written years ago when there were fewer pages of suggestions, easier to summarise. I don't have the spare time to try re-explain all the many suggestions: if people are interested in a particular idea, just use the search box at the top of the page with some likely terms to read with full context. I keep a private list of possible ideas and bugs to look into, but it is not published because most people wouldn't bother to try understand the entries properly, jumping to wild conclusions, spreading misinformation, and getting angry when things don't work out how they expected; on the other side there does not seem to be people who are skilled enough that would want to work on feature ideas with the code, to get any benefit from it.
Baskakov_Dima said:
I'll also post a question - do you do everything on your own for this mod?
Basically all the scripting (most of what this mod is), and most of the tweaked Warband resources such as meshes; any contributions from other people are listed in the main download post.

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
No: the first post was written years ago when there were fewer pages of suggestions, easier to summarise. I don't have the spare time to try re-explain all the many suggestions: if people are interested in a particular idea, just use the search box at the top of the page with some likely terms to read with full context. I keep a private list of possible ideas and bugs to look into, but it is not published because most people wouldn't bother to try understand the entries properly, jumping to wild conclusions, spreading misinformation, and getting angry when things don't work out how they expected; on the other side there does not seem to be people who are skilled enough that would want to work on feature ideas with the code, to get any benefit from it.

I can try to read these 4k posts and make some summary if it would be usefull.

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
I'll also post a question - do you do everything on your own for this mod?
Basically all the scripting (most of what this mod is), and most of the tweaked Warband resources such as meshes; any contributions from other people are listed in the main download post.

Are you accepting offers to join you?

Baskakov_Dima said:
I can try to read these 4k posts and make some summary if it would be usefull.
Not very useful for me, since I have a fairly good memory and keep my own list (not easily understandable other people), but if you wanted to do it for the benefit of other people or yourself, go ahead. The major problem would be misunderstanding what the replies meant, so I would suggest keeping links to the relevant posts, for full explanations and context.
Baskakov_Dima said:
Are you accepting offers to join you?
Not really: I don't think the traditional method of assembling an organised "mod team" of random people who want to help and then trying to get work done works very well, at least not for my preferred development style. I have accepted contributions from people who presented resources for specific features or ideas, and might accept code contributions from people who showed they were skilled and thorough, meeting the coding standards: that goal probably wouldn't be worthwhile if the main motivation was prestige or control, but only if they enjoyed development for its own sake.

People are probably better off starting with making their own "sub mods" based on PW to get experience and mess around learning from mistakes; I suggest starting with very small features, completing and thoroughly testing them before moving on to complex things. I also suggest releasing small features to the public at least when learning, since there is probably more benefit from other people helping, than risk of drawback from people "stealing" a simple idea to build something on top of it.

I understand you have a negative opinion of the custom server side modifications floating around that allow player persistence. What if, instead of using them for that purpose, they could be used to implement scene prop persistence across resets/servers?

The design would implement some of the following ideas, perhaps with more if you were able to come up with some kind of modular design:

Sync of prop stocks across server resets
Sync of prop stocks across servers with the same scene? (not compatible with character persistence across servers, duplication of items)
Sync of a new type of prop, perhaps an import/export of items across servers
Sync of faction castle status across server resets

I'm not sure how hard this system would be or if it would be possible at all. I can only guess at the requirements, possibly a server command to add/remove items to chest from a network message, saving of unique prop IDs with their stock values, and the ability to preset faction castle ownership after scene initialization.

Back
Top Bottom