Book(s) that changed your life (and optionally: why?)

Can a single book change your life?

• Yes

• No

• Possibly, but so far didn't happen to me.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reflecting on my days as a wayward youth, what left a lasting impression was Mika Waltari's historical novels. Some of them were only translated to Czech when I was maybe 30, but I still enjoyed them immensely. I even flirted with applying to Finnish studies and interpretation, so that I could translate the then-untranslated ones.

I also loved Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. To quote wiki "It follows Sophie Amundsen, a Norwegian teenager who is introduced to the history of philosophy by Alberto Knox, a middle-aged philosopher." There's nothing disgusting, it's not some Lolita or Henry Miller, it really is just a novel about a teenage girl learning some (history of) philosophy.

I also liked randomly browsing through the many volumes of Livy's Ab Urbe Condicta and Hesiod's Theogony and Works and Days.

Also Burda Style :xf-grin: Good times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom